cargo carriers

Anything Triton related

cargo carriers

Postby Noriek on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi ,Has anyone used cargo carriers that mount onto rear reese hitch. Conidering using instead of trailer. I am aware of tow download limits, rear overhang and such, and weight of cargo and carrier.
anyone used one, as no space for a trailer.
many thanks
Noriek
Platinum Subscriber

Re: cargo carriers

Postby Vikingshippy2 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:37 am

How do you get access to the tub? the tailgate won't open! ...you don't see many about do you? that's prob the reason..!

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk
Vikingshippy2

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:25 am

With the hitch already so far from the rear axle, would you really want that extra leverage working on the chassis?

Parking, what a nightmare. Always crack up when you see a SUV with half a dozen bicycles hanging off the tow bar

Wouldn't a rack above the tub make much more sense? All within the boundaries of the vehicle & minimum effect on steering, etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Noriek on Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:16 am

hi u 2 thanks for the replies ,yes i agree ,was after anyone who has used one.
yes ,you cant open the tailgate, thats why you use a swing away , yakima or something.
Yes am aware of the weight and overhang , leverage and such.
Regarding carrying bicycles,on rack ,parking and such, am aware of it.
Try parking with a trailer sometimes
already use a Thule xt pro rack on occaision . to carry two E bikes. The rack tilts down with bikes on it. Can access rear of ute and also using on a rav 4 can also open back of it. Also when parkin, take bikes of to use and fold up the rack, same can be down for a couple of cargo racks also
Yes I have a rack on top of tub (arb) use it a lot.
Try lifting two e bikes onto it!!.
Sur its great using a rack . Look how many people out there overload racks, and to think of c of g also..
Concept of the cargo carrier is to use it for a couple of bulky items tent ,couple of stretchers. weight of carrier and cargo not to exceed 80kgs, max.
Look at tow ball weight of some of existing campers and trailers loaded at the memont, and effect on a rough road and not smooth hardtop. Its not like i would be travelling down the gibb river road at 100km per hour lol

best to all
Ron
Noriek
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion