Uneven Brake pad wear

Anything Triton related

Uneven Brake pad wear

Postby pops on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:07 pm

The front pads on my MN Triton appear to be wearing only on the inside of the pad i.e. the full face of the pad is not making contact with the rotor. Is the same on L & R front and back pads.
I had a 2" lift installed and went a size up in tyres to 265/75 R16 about 6 months ago and suspect one or both of these to be the cause. Just wondering how to fix it.

*Tried uploading photos but Photobucket requires a paid account to do so.
pops

Re: Uneven Brake pad wear

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Discs are not flat. Get them machined. The lift will have no effect.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby pops on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:59 pm

pops

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:37 pm

There might be enough meat left on those disc,s to allow them to be machined, the mob doing the machining will soon let you know when they use a micrometer to check the thickness prior to machining, they look stuffed :shock:
You havent by chance gone to metal pads, them things eat rotors for breakfast, also check your front wheel bearings arent loose
WUNSIE

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:09 pm

Why would I be interested in a photo which will tell me nothing? Measure the discs' flatness if you like and post that up to confirm what I've told you is correct. If you want to question or dispute my response then please go ahead and do so, but be sure that you give good reasons why you think I'm wrong. Quoting some random response on Reddit is not good reason.

It wouldn't matter if you lifted (or lowered for that matter) until the wheel was 90 degrees to its original position. The relationship of the brake pad to the disc would not change - uneven wear is caused by the disc being not flat and there are a variety of reasons why this could be so. Getting a 50mm suspension lift is definitely not one of them. Other reasons could be mechanical damage to components that mount the calipers, even damage to the pistons, but not likely to happen on both sides at the same time.

Cross posting is a really good way to piss people off. So basically you're saying that you don't value or trust the responses you get and are asking the same question elsewhere to verify. Posting a link to your cross postings in another location is gross stupidity. It is insulting in the extreme and specifically prohibited in the NewTriton Forum Rules, to which you've agreed.

From Wikipedia:
Enforcement actions against crossposting individuals vary from simple admonishments up to total lifetime bans.

This time you've been lucky to get an admonishment, albeit in public.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby pops on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:34 pm

You're a fun guy Chris.
I was not questioning or disputing what you had told me simply trying to show some kind of photographical evidence to my original post.
As for the cross post.
The instructions for uploading photos is clearly outdated as Photobucket now requires a paid subscription in order to cross link images, as a moderator you might want to look into that
By all means feel free to ban me and have a nice life bud.
pops

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:47 pm

I still fail to see how this photo supported your post and assisted members here to diagnose the reason(s) for your pads not wearing evenly. Having said that, it looks to me like there's a whole lot of maintenance needed under there, but that's digressing. The brake disc is a mess and, as I said, needs machining. I'm also a little concerned that I can see outlining of the webbing in the centre of the disc. Maybe too far gone to machine? Only measuring it will tell.

Screenshot_20220406_203846.jpg

Yes, the whole Photobucket thing was a disaster. But old news. The Site Owner here developed an alternative to Photobucket, which is completely free. It's called imgHOSTR.

See https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21084&p=544552&hilit=imghostr#p544552

There is, actually, a link at the bottom of every page:

Screenshot_20220406_202034.jpg

And, yes, the instructions to upload/post photos does need updating. Thank you for volunteering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:32 am

Those discs are now scrap metal. You can see in that pic that they used to be slotted rotors.

My guess is that either cheap pads and/or discs were used. Or, at some point the pads wore out and were metal to metal for a while.

Replace the pads and discs, check the caliper mounts are fine and check the front wheel bearings.
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:26 am

Pops, best suggestion is simply buy a new set of discs and pads and bed them in as per instructions. Before fitting though, check piston surrounds are clean and that the slider pins are good.

The ole ml is cracking 320k and still on the first set of RDA replacement bits.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pops on Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:53 am

Cheers guys. Bearings don't feel loose at all so have ordered new rotors and Bendix pads. Also ordered a new set of calipers to boot as the originals are showing their age. I live in a coastal area of North WA, between beach, boat ramps and dirt tracks they cop a bit of a hiding.
pops

Postby FQCODEL on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am

Lets be honest, if you cant identify how badly damaged BOTH your rotors are, you should just pay someone to fix it. You'll probably stuff another 20 things trying to change the rotor and pads and then put the pads back to front with the shims incorrectly etc.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
FQCODEL

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 am

Just an aside. Have you done any driving through muddy water leading up to the issue!

If you had, I'd think slotted rotors would be a bad choice.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion