P0072 Intake air temperature sensor location

Anything Triton related

P0072 Intake air temperature sensor location

Postby tjarlz on Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:19 am

Hi,

I'm getting this (P0072) engine code from time to time. It comes and goes. Doesn't seem to affect the running of the vehicle greatly, but I'd rather fix it. On the dash mount EDS scanner the sensor designated IAT seems to be the culprit, it increases steadily from start-up until it reaches a value of about 42 (!) and then starts jumping up and down in a seemingly random fashion. Does anyone know which sensor this is and where it is located?

Cheers
tjarlz

Re: P0072 Intake air temperature sensor location

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:43 am

Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

(P0072) engine code

Postby tjarlz on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi,

Righto, I posted this other day and for some reason the Admin locked the post. Let's be clear, I had read all of the posts that came up in the search function for "P0072" before making my original post, and I didn't find the answer to my question. There may have been answers to other questions, but not this one (as far as I could tell). So here it is again, if anyone knows could you please let me know? ...

I'm getting this (P0072) engine code from time to time. It comes and goes. Doesn't seem to affect the running of the vehicle greatly, but I'd rather fix it. On the dash mount EDS scanner the sensor designated IAT seems to be the culprit, it increases steadily from start-up until it reaches a value of about 42 (!) and then starts jumping up and down in a seemingly random fashion. Does anyone know which sensor this is and where it is located?

Cheers

Charles
tjarlz

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:17 pm

tjarlz wrote:for some reason the Admin locked the post

The reason was clearly stated:

NowForThe5th wrote:...and here, for those who couldn't be bothered looking for themselves.

So, using just the links that you were given in the P0072 search:

Tony wrote:Wile I'm at this I'll drop any links or info here that may be of some help to others...
http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Ucodes.shtml
(snip)
P0072 Intake air temperature sensor No. 2 circuit low input

...and from the online manual linked by Explorer Dave:

Screenshot_20220426_185455.jpg

Charles, people on forums, whether they be Admins, Moderators or just normal members are happy to help those who have genuine problems. But remember that it's all done voluntarily and there is the expectation that you have had a fair dinkum try at finding the answer yourself. You've been a member here for nearly 3 years and one would assume that in that time you've visited more than once and would have some kind of idea of how we work. We encourage members to do their own searches and we expect that once given a link, or links, that you will follow those to the answer. Clearly you didn't do that. We also discourage members from starting new threads when there are already threads covering the topic. In fact you would have seen big red notices advising you of this when you opened these two new threads. Clearly you ignored those also.

I've merged your two threads and done all the work for you. I've also left this thread open, although it really should be merged with a previous thread on the same topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby tjarlz on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:08 am

Hi,

So what I am seeing is that it is the sensor that is part of the MAF (B) and/or the 'other one' that is attached to the intake manifold (F). (I knew all of this before I posted my question, by doing the things that I supposedly didn't do). What I still don't know, and others with the same problem may find it useful to find out:

Is it B or F that is showing up on the IAT channel of my gauge?

It would appear that it it is F. If if disconnect it the gauge shows "-30" rather than 11 (ambient temp). Not conclusive however.

Is the P0072 Code specific to sensor F?

Or could sensor B also generate that code? When I disconnected the MAF I get P0073 code but this isn't conclusive.

At the moment I think I'll order a new sensor (F) and see what happens. If that fixes the problem I'll report back here (assuming the thread stays open).
tjarlz

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm

tjarlz wrote:Is it B or F that is showing up on the IAT channel of my gauge?

F. The temperature sensor that is in the MAF (B) is only used to determine if the EGR should operate. It will give readings that are close to ambient temperature. Most scanners are not programmed to read the B sensor. You can get a code to put into your scanner so that you can monitor it, but really only useful if you've done the electronic EGR mod.

tjarlz wrote:If if disconnect it the gauge shows "-30" rather than 11 (ambient temp). Not conclusive however.

Pretty conclusive in my mind. You can get a nil reading (-30) by disconnecting it and you also get a P0073 error code, both of which go away when you reconnect.

tjarlz wrote:Is the P0072 Code specific to sensor F?

Error codes are, to some extent, generalised and specific manufacturers can use them for more than one situation. Mitsubishi are known for doing that and for having multiple fuses on a circuit. Some kind of redundancy I suspect, but it can be a little annoying. AFAIK, though, P0072 is limited to the intake air temperature sensor.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion