Diff Ratio changes

Anything Triton related

Diff Ratio changes

Postby Gozzie61 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:49 pm

Hi All,

Hoping someone has had some experience with changing diff ratios in their MN? I've searched thru the forums but can't really find anything specific enough.

I have a 2012 Club Cab GLX which has the Hybrid LSD rear diff with a ratio of 3.692. I’m guessing that Mitsubishi assumed that as a tradie spec ute, they would have that ratio for better fuel economy.

I love the vehicle, but even with a tune it is still a bit of a slug!

The problem I have is that once I upgraded my tyres from factory 245/70/16 to 265/75/16, I have effectively changed the ratio to 3.44 (according to an online ratio calculator).

This is now just way too high and it wasn’t great to start with. It has effected my low down performance and made towing difficult. Just about smoke the clutch getting off the mark! Hill starts are impossible.

So . . . . . I’m looking into changing the diff ratios to something a bit more useable. According to the calculator, if I change the diffs to 4.1 ratio ones, it would effectively be about 3.9 (allowing for the larger tyres), which is where most of the MN’s seem to be.

I know that this will effect my fuel economy a little but I’m happy to pay that price for better driveability.

So the question is:
If anyone has done ratio changes; how much difference does it make? My change would be by 0.46 lower. How much did off-the-mark performance improve and was towing ability improved?

Thankyou for any information.
Gozzie61

Re: Diff Ratio changes

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion