What's it worth ML 3.2 Manual

Anything Triton related

What's it worth ML 3.2 Manual

Postby mq3175 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:13 pm

My sons ML 3.2 was getting injectors and oil cooler replaced. Mechanic removed inlet manifold and told him it has way too much carbon build up and head needs to be removed. Pics sent looks like ports in head are half blocked. He can't afford to repair it. Second hand engines are around 4K plus install. So basically he has to sell it as is. Any idea on what it's worth. Its located in the Gold Coast. Cheers.
mq3175

Re: What's it worth ML 3.2 Manual

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:12 pm

So how many KMs on unit?

Was engine serviced regularly.

Were the injectors and oil cooler already replaced?

Just trying to establish whether engine is viable to save.

What's the rest of the drivetrain and body works like?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mq3175 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:27 pm

Serviced every 10,000km. Rest of drive train all good. It drove fine before but felt a touch sluggish every now and then so mechanic suggested do injectors and carbon clean. Bottom end i think is fine. Its got about 260k on the clock from memory. Did not bother with injectors and cooler due to additional work required. Body is in good condition. Would be great project for someone mechanically minded. Cheers.
mq3175

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am

I've got about 330k on my 08 ml and hoping to get a other 250k.

From what you describe, you still have a viable machine. Does junior want to commit money to another preowned ( new mystery bag ) or new unit?

Personally, I'd clean the inlet manifold and inlet ports. Do electronic EGR disable and clean the various sensors. Things you can do yourself.

Oil cooler; is this actually busted? Not end of the earth to replace.

Mechanics & Stealers will be driven to obtain income.

You will get more for a working vehicle than a dead one, so the effort may still be worthwhile, even if he wants to move on.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mq3175 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 pm

Problem is 2K for injectors 1K genuine cooler.
Assorted gaskets seals $500. Inlet manifold $900.00 Egr etc etc. Add labour and its a 6K to 7K repair if you pay someone to do it. Hence why he does not want to commit. May as well put that towards another car. That's basically why we want an idea of what we could sell it for.
mq3175

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:00 pm

Redbook says $9700 to $11900 for MY08 GLX-R manual diesel. Trade in prices about $3K less than retail but in this crazy market at the moment it could be worth a bit more. Obviously condition, mileage, model etc will have a bearing.

If I was a buyer I'd offer you $2K, because I'd want to be sure that I had the repair costs well covered. However, I think that your cost estimates are very high, maybe double what it would really cost if you had a decent mechanic, not a dealership, do the repairs.

So I'd buy it for $2K, spend $4K, give it a wash and polish then flip it for an easy $13K. They're on Carsales, with similar mileage from $12K to $20K.

Or you could do it and save/make the $6K profit instead of me.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mq3175 on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:28 pm

Food for thought I guess. Hopefully he can sell for a bit more than that. I could look at myself but I'm in Vic and he is on the Gold Coast
mq3175

Return to General Discussion