MN air cleaner assembly water tight after safari snorkel??

Anything Triton related

MN air cleaner assembly water tight after safari snorkel??

Postby Triton14 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:37 am

Hi all, had a look around & could not find exactly what I was looking for.
I just installed a V spec safari snorkel on the MN & now I want make sure its all all water tight.

I read on a few different google searches on various testing methods including putting a bag over the ram to see if it stalls or lets air on somewhere, there were also various other suggestions, one which involved shaving cream\ :shock:

So 1st question is how do you test that your snorkel & airbox are water tight??

2nd question- a lot of people were saying to plug the hole/valve in the base of the airbox that is designed to let water out as this is also where water can get into the system??

Do you seal this valve or is it a one way valve??

The only place I used sikaflex was on the intake pipe adapter on the base of the box, the rest is just sealed by the hose clamps supplied.

Cheers

Any other suggestions??
Triton14

Re: MN air cleaner assembly water tight after safari snorkel

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:19 pm

Triton14 wrote:how do you test that your snorkel & airbox are water tight??

I remember reading, years ago, about someone who tried the plastic bag over the snorkel test. Worked fine until the intake vacuum sucked the bag into the engine because he'd taken the filter out.

I'd think a high volume low pressure air pump, like for inflatable toys etc. would be a better choice. Much easier to find air leaking out than being sucked in. Obviously, isolate from engine. I haven't bothered with any of mine - just carefully apply sealant where required.

Triton14 wrote:plug the hole/valve in the base of the airbox that is designed to let water out as this is also where water can get into the system??

Depends on the condition of the valve and how much you trust it. If in good condition it should seal just fine, but, if damaged or worn....maybe not so good. I sealed one and left the other alone. Never had a problem with either, although I did check after each water crossing.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: MN air cleaner assembly water tight after safari snorkel

Postby bigjobs on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:34 pm

I tested mine by choking it out with the cover for a Coleman hot water heater.
Not sure what type of material it was made from, maybe some kind of pvc, but yeah that never got sucked in :-)
bigjobs

Return to General Discussion