New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby kwikfab on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 pm

In my experience, (20 years of building and driving rally cars all over the world if it matters)recaro type seats are not more comfortable, they are designed to "hug and support you" when you are doing something more than ordinary driving i know the adjustable air type lumbar ones can be pretty good. You might be better going down the road of other oem seats (maybe lexus ?)
But way before that i would try a seat spacer 1st to tilt the seat.
2nd if your still not happy have a look at an airhawk (motorcycle seat pillow thing) we run them in the rally car and i wouldn't want to do a transport stage without it
Hope it helps

Tra
FlyerOne wrote:Hi all,
I bought my Triton a week before a bad back injury last year and have since had two spinal operations. I'm about ready to sell the thing if I can't make sitting in it bearable.

As well as the looking for some spacers/posts to tilt the front of the swab up, and maybe the lumbar support as suggested by rodeddy, is there anything which has made a huge improvement to someone that they can recommend?
The swab feels like it is too full at the back near the backrest or something, it's bloody hard (now that my arse and back are more sensitive I guess).
I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully made significant improvement to seat comfort.
Complete seat replacement? Do Recaro make a super comfy seat which isn't too expensive?

Cheers.
kwikfab

Postby geoduck on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 am

I made a chair for my office out of a Recarro seat that came from an Alfa 147. It is super comfy and has great support. I have sat in them from other cars including a Fieldmaster Pajero and did not find it comfortable. The best seat was in my 93 Pajero SWB . The seat in my MN are okay for a basic model. If you want a Recarro find out who has them in stock and try, they do a seat base for the Triton too.
I know the style of seat kwikfab has used and they would not be suitable for a road car.

Click to view larger picture
geoduck

Postby FlyerOne on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:57 am

kwikfab wrote:In my experience, (20 years of building and driving rally cars all over the world if it matters)recaro type seats are not more comfortable, they are designed to "hug and support you" when you are doing something more than ordinary driving i know the adjustable air type lumbar ones can be pretty good. You might be better going down the road of other oem seats (maybe lexus ?)
But way before that i would try a seat spacer 1st to tilt the seat.
2nd if your still not happy have a look at an airhawk (motorcycle seat pillow thing) we run them in the rally car and i wouldn't want to do a transport stage without it
Hope it helps

Thanks for the replies gents. I think I might try spacers, MSA Lumbar and maybe an Airhawk Truck cushion as suggested.
FlyerOne

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 am

Best seats I've had have been in VWs, firm but not hard.

I could do 5hrs in my Transporter with absolutely no I'll effects.

Even my old 73Beetle was more comfy than the Tried.

Get the spacers first. The problem with most Asian utes is that seats are too low.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby FlyerOne on Thu May 01, 2014 2:08 pm

I just had a friend help me install the spacers I got from kwikfab, I'm still not allowed to bend or twist after the last spinal operation so needed help, but it was a 20 minute job for two seats, they are well machined and fit perfectly.
It is like sitting in a different seat. That 25mm of tilt makes so much difference it isn't funny. I don't even think I need a lumbar roll/support.

I'm stoked. Thanks Ted. :D
FlyerOne

Postby Sabre on Thu May 01, 2014 2:21 pm

I've only had my MN for a week, but it really bugs me that I cannot adjust the drivers seat enough to clearly see the instrumentation.....it's blocked by the top of the steering wheel. I'm not overly tall at 6'1 but surely others have come up against the same? or am I missing something.
Sabre

Postby borngeek on Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

adjust the steering wheel height?
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sabre on Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 pm

borngeek wrote:adjust the steering wheel height?

Adjusted right up.
Sabre

Postby har05l on Thu May 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Sabre wrote:I've only had my MN for a week, but it really bugs me that I cannot adjust the drivers seat enough to clearly see the instrumentation.....it's blocked by the top of the steering wheel. I'm not overly tall at 6'1 but surely others have come up against the same? or am I missing something.

I'm at about the same height.

I have my seat all the way back and tilted at a fair angle and have no issues in viewing.

Do you have the GLX or the r :?:

The GLX-r has height adjustment so maybe that's the difference :?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheEscapist on Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I hear your pain Sabre. I'm 6'2" and experience the same problem.

Not sure what can be done about it
TheEscapist

Postby Sabre on Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 pm

har05l wrote:
Sabre wrote:I've only had my MN for a week, but it really bugs me that I cannot adjust the drivers seat enough to clearly see the instrumentation.....it's blocked by the top of the steering wheel. I'm not overly tall at 6'1 but surely others have come up against the same? or am I missing something.

I'm at about the same height.

I have my seat all the way back and tilted at a fair angle and have no issues in viewing.

Do you have the GLX or the r :?:

The GLX-r has height adjustment so maybe that's the difference :?

Yeah GLXR but the height adjustment is not up and down, but more of a tilting of the seat base. I prefer sitting upright, so laying seat back is not a desired outcome either.
Sabre

Postby har05l on Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Perhaps you could source a seat out of an older model, mines a 2010 and has the up/down adjustment. Seems silly if they stopped that because it really is affective :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 pm

The new ones that I've seen have two knobs which raise the front or the rear. The system should be able to emulate the effect of the spacers but I couldn't get it quite right.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 pm

I've taken to just using the gps as my speedo. The other stuff doesn't need constant observation.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Sabre on Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 am

NowForThe5th wrote:The new ones that I've seen have two knobs which raise the front or the rear. The system should be able to emulate the effect of the spacers but I couldn't get it quite right.

:? Mine is a Jan 14 MY15, no two knobs. Just one single front one......
Sabre

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 02, 2014 8:36 am

Interesting. I tried one when I was looking at buying the Paj, last year. The systems were the same, two knobs.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Interesting. I tried one when I was looking at buying the Paj, last year. The systems were the same, two knobs.

yes Chris they changed in the MY14 version. our MN has one adjuster.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 pm

snowman wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:Interesting. I tried one when I was looking at buying the Paj, last year. The systems were the same, two knobs.

yes Chris they changed in the MY14 version. our MN has one adjuster.

wtf would they change the design :?

I highly rate my seat design as the shorter people in my world are able to adjust the seat higher when they drive it, so simple, yet effective :)

Good job MMA :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri May 02, 2014 1:17 pm

until we have your an my MN side by side i don't want to make any claims but i was under the impression the single adjuster still does the work of the old two knob arrangement.

so it's alright Ken just one extra knob in your cab. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwikfab on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 pm

FlyerOne wrote:I just had a friend help me install the spacers I got from kwikfab, I'm still not allowed to bend or twist after the last spinal operation so needed help, but it was a 20 minute job for two seats, they are well machined and fit perfectly.
It is like sitting in a different seat. That 25mm of tilt makes so much difference it isn't funny. I don't even think I need a lumbar roll/support.

No prob mate, glad it sorted your issue would be a shame to hate an otherwise good car for such an easy fix
kwikfab

Postby rodeddy on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Its amazing how such a little mod can make so much difference ...... now upgrade the centre console armrest and you can get real comfy on long trips ... ( its thicker AND longer than std)
cheers

FlyerOne wrote:I just had a friend help me install the spacers I got from kwikfab, I'm still not allowed to bend or twist after the last spinal operation so needed help, but it was a 20 minute job for two seats, they are well machined and fit perfectly.

rodeddy

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm

rodeddy wrote:Its amazing how such a little mod can make so much difference ...... now upgrade the centre console armrest and you can get real comfy on long trips ... ( its thicker AND longer than std)
cheers

I and a few others got something similar many years ago in a group buy...is probably one of the best but most forgotten mods I've done. Makes a surprising difference in driver comfort :D
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Where did you score that rodeddy? Or have I already asked that? Short term memory problems are getting worse. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:06 pm

hi Dave,
i think you did ..... my local trimmer. I simply took the 'lid' section and he added foam to make it about an inch longer, more square at front- so my elbow doesn't slide off, and also thicker.. i love it ! :D
cheers, Rod

Cowboy Dave wrote:Where did you score that rodeddy? Or have I already asked that? Short term memory problems are getting worse. :oops:
rodeddy

Postby gravy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:10 am

kwikfab, Hi kwikfab
Are you still making and selling the seat spacers?
If so how much and where are u located
Many thanks
Regards gravy
gravy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion