New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby csomole on Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:42 pm

In case others too are still interested in the seat spacers, these seem to fit the bill:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M10-x1-25mm ... 1438.l2649
Post from the UK was pretty prompt pre-Covid, will have to see how it is now.

This other option, motorcycle mirror adapters, is probably too weak.
csomole

Postby seabombs on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi guys, thanks for an informative thread. Just thought I'd add my attempt at a spacer setup.

Materials list:
- 2 x 30x30x30mm square steel bar cutoffs (1.6mm thick in my case)
- 2 x M10 16mm bolts and nuts
- 2 x spring washers
- 4 x washers (16mm bolts are only just too long, would only need a single washer if they were a few mm shorter)

All up cost about $30 from bunnings. I just used a hacksaw to cut the square steel bar sections and a file to smooth the edges, came up alright. Cut two holes 12mm diameter into opposite sides of each square section, use the original nut to fix it to the floor and then an M10 bolt to attach the steel section to the seat itself with the washers.

Screenshot_20220426_201103.jpg

Screenshot_20220426_200944.jpg

A couple more picture here: https://imgur.com/a/16N4iZO

Everything only just fits with these measurements, including fitting a spanner inside the square to tighten the original bolt (slowly, about 1/8th turn at a time). 1.6mm thick steel might be borderline but seems strong enough. One advantage of this design is the weight of the chair gets distributed through the square section onto the floor as in the original setup, whereas the spacers elsewhere in this thread would put the weight more on the bolt itself? Or at least partially. Anyway, seems like it hasn't mattered and am probably overthinking it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed picture links
seabombs

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:52 pm

I'm not sure I'd be very happy driving a car where the seats were secured this way. It's not the weight of the seat, and its occupant pressing down on the floor that's the problem. Rather that those weights will be tearing the seat off these mounts in an accident. I've done a few seat conversions in vans and the engineering requirements are quite stringent.

I've also fixed your picture links so they display. If you're going to use an [img] link then you must link to a known picture format, usually .jpg. Imgur make this difficult, if not impossible so for forum use you'll find that our home grown solution imgHOSTR (link at bottom of every page) works much better. Otherwise linking to the jpeg on Imgur gets a file so big that you need a drive-in screen to view it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 am

Looks a bit scary. Apart from collapsing under impact, that crappy Chinese mild steel tubing may simply pull off the bolts.

Assuming everything stays connected, an insurance assessor will probably let you wipe your arse with your insurance contract when an inspection reveals a non engineered modification.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby seabombs on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Thanks for fixing the photos, I'll remember to use imghostr in future.

Yes you're both right, the steel bracket it definitely not ideal and the weakest link, I've removed them.

Something I've thought about the extender style spacers is they change the force on the mounting bolt from a shear/tensile force to a more bending/tensile force (e.g. as explained here https://blog.maxprocorp.com/the-difference-between-tension-shear-and-bending-joints), since there's really no room to bend in the original setup.
seabombs

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Yeah. I see the top bolt head sliding down over the dome of the lower nut with almost zero resistance from the tube which, in this orientation, would just bend at the corners. I don't think turning the tube 90 degrees would make a huge difference, but it might help a bit. So seat moves forward and down meaning you get to Liverpool kiss the steering wheel since the airbag will just rearrange your hair.

I, along with many others, was happy to take the risk with the original seat spacers since they appeared, to my non-engineer eyes, to be well enough designed and made. One piece with a solid section in the middle giving a big enough bearing surface and no compromise with enlarged holes. I see accident damage on a daily basis and thought they were strong enough.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to General Discussion