New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby lowfly on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 pm

kwikfab wrote:At risk of sounding like I'm being negative they are only 12mm long and wrong thread and very little surface contact with the seat rail and floor and only 250 grade mild steel. add to that there was a guy who bought something (eBay I think) that ripped the stud out of the floor of his car.
Still you may be able to find something similar and pack it with washers or something, would probably have to cut thread down as well but that's easy enough

Hi Kwikfab,
are you still supplying the seat spacers mate, if so can you PM me with price and order details please.
Cheers
lowfly

Postby Toddyh on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 am

lowfly wrote:
Hi Kwikfab,
are you still supplying the seat spacers mate, if so can you PM me with price and order details please.
Cheers

x2 if they are still going
Toddyh

Postby lowfly on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:39 am

Toddyh wrote:
lowfly wrote:
Hi Kwikfab,
Cheers

Send him a PM mate, I put my order in a few days ago, he may still have some in stock.
lowfly

Postby Toddyh on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 am

lowfly wrote:
Toddyh wrote:
lowfly wrote:
Hi Kwikfab,
Cheers

Send him a PM mate, I put my order in a few days ago, he may still have some in stock.

Thanks will do
Toddyh

Postby Dazza609 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi kwikfab,

I tried sending you a pm over the weekend, but it just seems to be staying in the outbox and not going to the sent box.

Im after 1 set for my 2011glx triton.

Thanks Darren
Dazza609

Postby kwikfab on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Sorry guys was away in clunes (vic) helping to raise money for MS
had a ball by the way :), but was very hard to go back to work this morning with a hangover that would kill an elephant
back on deck now
Dazza609 wrote:Hi kwikfab,

I tried sending you a pm over the weekend, but it just seems to be staying in the outbox and not going to the sent box.

Im after 1 set for my 2011glx triton.

Thanks Darren
kwikfab

Triton MN Seat spacers or new seats ?

Postby mark.james35 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi Guys

After reading all the forums about Seat being uncomfortable I though to ask some of these question.

1- Where to get seat spacers in Perth ? Do they actually make a difference ?

2- What about bolting a all new seats from wreckers from a different ride ?

3- Has anyone put some direct bolt on replacement seats ?

4- Do you know the cost of above ?

Thanks guys
mark.james35

Re: Triton MN Seat spacers or new seats ?

Postby Duck on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Seat spacers are cheap and easy but illegal, better seats harder & more expensive hit legal (with blue plate) so depends what route you want to take. Some Recarros would be nice but hapf the cost of the car :lol:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby mark.james35 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 pm

What kind of cost are we talking about here for Recaro or aftermarket seat ?

How much are spacers and where can I buy from Perth ?
mark.james35

Postby Intruder on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:24 pm

A member on the forum here makes the spacers, contact ted@kwikdrawsigns.com. I got some last year and they were $90 a set plus postage, and worth every cent. Easy to install, well made and they do make a big difference.

Seats can be expensive pending brand, recaros, stratos etc are going to set you back a few grand each brand new, and then you have the cost of rails.

You could go see an auto trimmer and see what they charge to put some extra padding or something in the seats that suits your particular needs. I'd be guessing that would be much cheaper than going down the new seats path.
Yes... I'll have another beer.
Intruder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwikfab on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:22 pm

don't forget the money goes to charity (the kids at kidney health Australia kids camps)
:)
not sure about being illegal (anymore than 99.5% of the mods on any car at least) but i don't want to get into that argument, people can make there own decision.
I towed a car down to melbourne in a mates triton for a charity event a few weeks ago and it almost crippled me (but i'm a bit soft)
kwikfab

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 am

Merged.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby burnah on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Took the 25mm spacers off my 2010 MN seats a couple of days before I traded it in last week. The difference they make blew me away even more than when I put them in almost 5 years ago. Missus bolloxed me for not leaving them until the day I took it in. :D
The MQ seats feel heaps better, but I'm tempted to put 12.5mm ones in anyway. I'll give it until the 1500km service to convince me that they're not worth the investment.
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 am

The one other mod I want to do is install some dense foam padding around the lumber area of the seat.

Also there is a bar across the back around this area without much padding.

I'm going to make a frame as a space to replace the packers eventually, which will incorporate a fire extinguisher bracket and other emergency gear perhaps.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 am

Now this has nothing to do with Tritons but this week I finally installed the left foot rest I bought 2 years ago for the Pajero.

My Paj is an NW so it didn't come with the beaut footrest that was in the Gen 3. I've always felt that the NW wasn't as comfortable as the NM but never quite worked out why. The standard left footrest is now just a bump in the carpet, created by a lump of foam that fits underneath. The Gen 3 footrest is a great big thing that takes almost your whole foot and sits on top of the carpet.

Anyway, installed it and, like the Triton, the transformation is astounding. Having my left foot securely on the footrest, which is much higher means that my two feet are now in similar positions and pushes me back into the seat in a very similar way to how the spacers worked on the Triton. Better lower back support, better thigh support by being able to raise the front of the seat base so that both thighs are supported equally and, of course, better anchoring in corners where before you'd tend to slip a bit.

Super happy, wish I'd done it earlier. Cost was, IIRC, $26 delivered from Amayama.

For those members who also have Gen 4 Pajeros this is one quite cheap mod that I'd highly recommend.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Sabre on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:09 am

Fitted a recycled set of Spacers today, thanks to another member here (Dalton), so looking forward to any benefits on the long drive to and from work :D
Sabre

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Interesting 5th.

For the first few months I had my Tri, I kept getting a sore left knee and finally concluded the footrest was the issue. Just caused constant pressure on the knee.

I sliced mine down to the minimum height to open up the foot well area and the issue went away.

Now that the seat is higher I might restore the original height of the rest to test it out.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 pm

RHKTriton wrote:The one other mod I want to do is install some dense foam padding around the lumber area of the seat.

Also there is a bar across the back around this area without much padding.

A NTN member Gregned (haven't seen him post in a while) was offering these
as he works in the industry.

Click to view larger picture

They're inflatable blood pressure cuffs. A few of us have fitted them to the seats as they have their own Velcro, and use them as an inflatable lumber support.

Works fantastically well as a ghetto version of the high end Recaro offerings.

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:31 pm

I had a SAAS seat in my Rocky with the inflatable lumber support and it was great.

The blood pressure cuffs are a brilliant idea! Never seen that use before.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jawk on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Intruder wrote:(snip)

You could go see an auto trimmer and see what they charge to put some extra padding or something in the seats that suits your particular needs. I'd be guessing that would be much cheaper than going down the new seats path.

Universal Upholstery in Wodonga charged me $80 (per seat) to open up the seat fabric, put in a layer of better stuff - firmer but comfier - stitch all back up. Looks like stock and raised the seat height an inch. we do lots of long drives and both of us find it comfy now.
jawk

Postby Hornet75 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey all.

A while ago I thought I saw someone post full measurements of the seat spacers for those who wanted to make their own, but for the life of me I can't find it. May have imagined it too.

Does anyone have the full specs or a cad file for them? My mate is a fitter and was going to ask him to fabricate sp some up for me. Cheaper and quicker than Stratos seats which have a 6 month wait, and will be changing vehicles in a year or so anyway.

Thanks in advance ☺
Hornet75

Postby Kingjw2001 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 am

Hornet75 wrote:Hey all.

A while ago I thought I saw someone post full measurements of the seat spacers for those who wanted to make their own, but for the life of me I can't find it. May have imagined it too.

Does anyone have the full specs or a cad file for them? My mate is a fitter and was going to ask him to fabricate sp some up for me. Cheaper and quicker than Stratos seats which have a 6 month wait, and will be changing vehicles in a year or so anyway.

Thanks in advance [WHITE SMILING FACE]

I used the shank of a high tensile m20 bolt (can go thicker if you choose to). Put it in the lathe, knock the thread off, push a hole through it then tap it @ 10x1.25 (fine thread), cut it to desired length (25mm for me). Unscrew seat, fit spacers, screw in new m10 fine thread bolt. Length of bolt will depend on length of spacers. You don't want it to bottom out on the top of the original stud. Use washer to get in spot on.
Kingjw2001

seat spacers

Postby lost11 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:52 pm

can you make your own seat spacers or does anyone no where I can buy them cheers
lost11

Re: seat spacers

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I just got my local steel merchant to cut me sections of bright round bar (steel) to lengths required. Then just a matter of drilling and tapping to suit.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Anyone still making spacers? I don't have the tools or know how to make my own.

Cheers
ozguy7

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion