Air Compressor

Anything Triton related

Re: Air Compressor

Postby Crash486 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 pm

This clever fellow airs up and down , all four tyres , at once.
Made himself a custom hose. Nice!
Click to view larger picture

crash486
Crash486

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Hope he's not using the vacuum cleaner to power it. :P

But, seriously, complete waste of time and hose/fittings.

Any given compressor can only deliver x cfm. Delivered into one tyre that will be at the rate of x cfm; delivered into 4 tyres it will be x/4 cfm into each tyre. So it will take exactly the same time to air up as having a single hose and doing them one at a time.

And then you'd end up a fossil after having to coil up and store that Medusan monstrosity.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Crash486 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Hope he's not using the vacuum cleaner to power it.

But, seriously, complete waste of time and hose/fittings.

Any given compressor can only deliver x cfm. Delivered into one tyre that will be at the rate of x cfm; delivered into 4 tyres it will be x/4 cfm into each tyre. So it will take exactly the same time to air up as having a single hose and doing them one at a time.

And then you'd end up a fossil after having to coil up and store that Medusan monstrosity.
Oh come on 5th it's beautiful Chindōgu.

crash486
Crash486

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am

Yeah I agree, all these 12v compressors are fairly average at best.

I've gone through quite a few different types, including cheap Chinese compressors and the so called better quality ones such ARB, OBA and BOSS, they're all throw aways after a couple of years, the exception is the BOSS px07, at least it can be fully rebuilt with new bearings and piston.... But not cheap to rebuild.

I'm actually about to setup another air system on the Landcruiser, I'm going back to the cheap compressors as it's more economical to just replace them when they wear out, just the way it is unfortunately. Picked one up at SCA for a $150 and it claims a free flow at 160l/m with 45% duty cycle. I tried it out at home and compared it to the Px07 and I was surprised to see only slightly slower at airing up my tyres.

It will have an easier life being installed inside the vehicle out of the elements,
all my previous compressors have been on the Triton and been mounted under the tray near rear crossmember, I'm fairly certain this speeds up the wear and tear on compressor, even though I have extra air filters and splash guards installed it still effects them.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 pm

I got myself a thumper from 4wd S/C today with extension hose and deflator landed at $165. I'll give it a crack and see how it goes. Will most likely serve its purpose, but i guess time will tell.
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey All

Does anyone know of a 12v air compressor that has a pressure cutout function ?

Doesn't need to be powerful, i just want to use it for a DIY camp shower design i'm working on.

Essentially a lightly pressurised PVC cylinder, so when you turn the shower head on the air pressure functions as the water pump (so to speak) and pushes the water out.

AT the moment i just use my tyre compressor, but it means that every time i use the water for a period and the pressure drops, i have to switch the compress on, get it back to the right PSI, then switch it off again.

SOOO if i had a little compressor that just switched on and off as needed to keep a consistent pressure, that would make the whole setup much more user friendly
Maxiy

Postby bigboots on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Why not use one of the cheap 12V caravan water pumps from Ebay. You can buy self-priming water pumps from about $25.
bigboots

Postby bigboots on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Mean't to add that I installed one in a Jayco caravan that only had the hand pump for free camping (Mains pressure in caravan parks was OK) but no mains supply - no water without hand pump. Setup so that when tap opened, no pressure on pump outlet caused pump to start and supply water to outlets. These types of pumps are available on caravans for off road camping.
bigboots

Postby Headley on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 am

Hey guys, speaking of compressors, i have a 2013 GLXR with a hard top (will get a canopy soon), i want to fit some air horns to it (... really loud ones) and also want to fit a compressor and tank. Anyone got any recommendations for a complete unit?
Headley

Previous

Return to General Discussion