What economy are people getting from their MN's

Anything Triton related

Re: What economy are people getting from their MN's

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Nearly on 200thou and mine still consistently gives me 800klm+ a tank. Still a mix of urban & highway. Sits as it left Mitsubishi stock glx-r with 3" no cat & tony egr resistor, rhino racks, hardlid & sports bars.

Interestingly I been doing some weeks without the hardlid on and would only drop 20klms off my tank distance. I neck the thing every time I fill so 68-72 litres a fill is the norm.

I put it down to;

- no short trips, I do 150klms round trip a day.

- Morning runs are great no traffic, afternoons I have heavy congestion.

- I don't rev the rods out of it 2-2500rpms is heaps.

- little towing

- good maintenance

- good truck

Things I do notice that chew the fuel;

- Anything above 105kph. $1.10 I be lucky to get 650klms to the tank, how do I know? Drive from Melbourne to nhill a few times a year (basically half way to Adelaide).

- Short trips. If I'm off work and do runs to the shops, mother in laws, day trips my economy goes to shit.

- Towing. These things hate weight, empty box trailer or a 20" boat, anything being pulled they hate.

- Loaded tray. If I load the back up with tools, enough to get the back squatting it chews the dinosaur juice.

- Aircon. Checked the compressor and no above normal resistance for one so it's not that.

In short they are great as a stock standard truck, start changing things and it's going to affect the economy. That's life, I learnt to burn money with modified V8s so can live with it but you pay to play. These things modded change the dynamics of them drastically.
MilkmanDan

Postby snakesoup on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 pm

when my MN glxr was new as
New stock as a rock I would only ever get a max of 630klm from a tank, fuel up when the light comes on and it would take 63 liters I really don't know how some of you guys get the economy you do! 10 LPH at best and worsens from there with the fruit added !
snakesoup

Postby red dragin on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm tempted to drop my tyres to the placard numbers to see what damage that does.

I run 34/36 and get 9-10 L/100 depending on percentage of highway.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby SLIMaxPower on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 pm

I still average around 360 tank.

Powered by MaxPower
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:37 am

SLIMaxPower wrote:I still average around 360 tank.

OUCH :shock:

thought mine was bad :lol:

Well Milkman

I have to say that i do everything you said not to do HAHAH

Short trips every day (hardly warms up in winter)
i normally shift between 2500-3000 :oops: Probably should take care of her a bit better
I do however do consistant maintenance, 5k oil, filter, air changes. Clean and check everything every 5k. Fuel filters every 10k
as mentioned truck is sitting about 400kgs heavier
blast the aircon in summer (hate the heat)

SOOOOOO seems the economy is the devil of my own making, :twisted: good to know there isnt something wrong with her
Maxiy

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Manufacture economy tests are an absolute farce, if you dig into the conditions they do them under it doesn't really reflect real world at all. I'm saying that though some models get amazing economy, mates dmax is known to break the tonne a tank!!!

Now I don't want to get too technical but the factory tuning on vehicles is heavy conservative, hence why aftermarket tuners can wind them up. The ecu or PCM have limited learning so will trim themselves to your driving. I don't know much about the triton but they don't run an O2 sensor so I'm unsure how it controls fuelling, maybe a cylinder or valve temp theoretical number. If you welded in a bung and ran a wideband sensor, inline with EGT & injector timing can do all sorts of fun things.

Anyway in laymans the factory tune to me seems fine driven in a certain way at factory specs. Over and above is where it need ls work, and for me I'd road tune loaded up to find out what's going on. More power is always good but comes at a cost and to me I've had fast street cars the triton is a daily work hack and the camping car, but tuning to economy which it sounds like majority in this thread would love to suit their use is what it's all about
MilkmanDan

Postby Crash486 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:46 am

MilkmanDan... same here. Plenty on long trips, very few short trips, all could be classified as country travel. Stock with catch can and fuel additive. Good kms for a vehicle this size

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Crash486

Postby Terror on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 am

I did a bit of a test with my Triton. I filled it up at my local servo, drove 50k's, turned around and went back to the same servo and filled up with 100.1km on the trip meter. I put in 8.66L, less than I thought!

The driving was mixed, through a mountain road and through a few small towns, so 50k zones, 100k zones, lights, steep hills etc. I drove as economically as I could, changing gear at about 2200 rpm and coasting down the hills.

My ute has a Bullbar, bash plates, aero roof racks, 265/70/16 mud tyres, manual, egr mod and catch can 8-)
Terror

Postby snakesoup on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 pm

that's good mate ! would be interesting to do it again and see if same results
snakesoup

Postby SLIMaxPower on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:45 pm

A new record. 323 from 63

Powered by MaxPower
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:32 pm

holy shit
snakesoup

Postby Naff on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:02 am

SLIMaxPower wrote:A new record. 323 from 63

Powered by MaxPower

Have you considered removing all the add ons you have to try and narrow it down to which part is causing you to use all the fuel? If it's the chip you can wind it back a bit.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Naff wrote:
SLIMaxPower wrote:A new record. 323 from 63

Powered by MaxPower

Have you considered removing all the add ons you have to try and narrow it down to which part is causing you to use all the fuel? If it's the chip you can wind it back a bit.

Chip is wound back to 3 :( after destroying my gearbox, dawes valve is now very conservative.

Not replacing my 33's until they are worn and can't remove my trailer as its used for work.

I was actually planning on upping my chip back to 5 :p
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby robothefisho on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Mn dual cab. 2 inch. 265/75/16 all terrains. Front and rear bar work. Canopy. Manual. Chipped. 9.9 l/100km consistently.
robothefisho

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 pm

robothefisho wrote:Mn dual cab. 2 inch. 265/75/16 all terrains. Front and rear bar work. Canopy. Manual. Chipped. 9.9 l/100km consistently.

Hey Robo

You running steelies or factory alloys ? i have a feeling the added weight of my steelies is causing some economy damage.
Maxiy

Postby Joel on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Are you still running the chip maxiy?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Joel wrote:Are you still running the chip maxiy?

nope, took it out a while back. might throw it back in and see what happens :lol:
Maxiy

Postby robothefisho on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Maxiy wrote:
robothefisho wrote:Mn dual cab. 2 inch. 265/75/16 all terrains. Front and rear bar work. Canopy. Manual. Chipped. 9.9 l/100km consistently.

Hey Robo

You running steelies or factory alloys ? i have a feeling the added weight of my steelies is causing some economy damage.

It has aftermarket alloys on it. Tyres are Bridgestone Dueller 697s running about 34 psi. Has a safari snorkel to, maybe that helps.
robothefisho

Postby rolv on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 pm

MN GLX+ new March 2015, late 2014 build, according to vin/engine numbers it is post cooling issues build. EGR canopy and DYI EGR defeat are the only modifications. I have kept a record of all costs and fuel for the total time, as I have done with all my vehicles.
So Today: truck has travelled 29684 km and used 2348 litres, this works out to 7.91 l/100. the most significant cause of error would be the accuracy of the odometer and that seems to be reasonably accurate with the stock tyres.
The wifes Kia Cerato averages appx 9 l/100. It is slightly better on the highway and much worse around town. It has done 100,000 km appx with no faults what so ever. Apart from a fuel filler cap not tightened properly causing an ECU code. This car has not been to a garage or dealer since new, been to the panel beaters a couple of times to fix minor scrapes.
So far no issues at all with the Triton.
Regards
rolv

Postby Jonty on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 am

I just managed 645kms from 65L fill for around town use. It's only the first full tank since buying the car, but reasonably happy with that :)

That's completely stock with nothing in the car except a couple of kids seats in the back. 5sp manual.
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby coughy on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:11 pm

hi guys and girls i know this is a well spoken thread but im after the peeps with the
MN GLX-R 5 speed super select AUTO box
im wonting to know what the fuel usage around town is as im looking at a yet a nother mod for my slushy auto in the challenger i wont say much yet but im researching the info first

so kms to ltrs used around town stop starting
and do you know the diff ratio ????? isnt it 3.9 or 4.1???
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shaman42au on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 am

Hi, 2010 GLXR now at 115k.
My readings are base on speedo, and fuel at bowser.
The onboard trip computer gives overly optimistic readings and is typically 1l per 100km out!!!!

100K to 107K was averaging 12.5 to 13.3 l/100km

Then I had my turbo replaced, because it was pissing oil into the inlet.

107k to 115k was averaging 10.9 to 12.3l/100km.

Most of my driving has been city with occasional freeway trip.
The open road consumption is much better and typically comes to the lower reading of 10.9.

I have towbar, canopy and duel battery adding weight!
Don't know diff ratio, basically how it came out of factory, as well as standard 17" tyres.

I have also chipped car with the Blackone chip.

I don't think I am ever going to get it much better than this, as the small motor is pulling a lot of metal around. By contrast my BT50 is sitting between 11 and 12l/100km, with the onboard trip meter lying by the same order of magnitude as the Triton. Bigger motor, bigger car! More metal with canopy, bull bar, towbar, roof rack.
shaman42au

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Bear in mind that a chip will screw with onboard computer readings. Interception of the injector pulse and changing same is the reason. Mine is almost uncannily accurate but I use an Ecutek tune.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PhillipJ on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

coughy wrote:MN GLX-R 5 speed super select AUTO box

so kms to ltrs used around town stop starting

Mine is a 2009 GLXR auto.
3" exhaust
ARB Canopy
Tony's EGR mod
Marginally bigger than stock tyres, 255/65 17 I think.
When I lived in Brisbane I was getting between 11 and 13 litres/100 around town and basically always 10 on the highway unless I deliberately stayed around 90 km/h in which case it'd use 9ish.

It got up to 15 litres/100 once but giving the MAF sensor a good clean sorted that out.
PhillipJ

Postby Maxiy on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:31 am

Took my roof cage and awning off, and have no cover over the tub, GUESS WHAT i got 100k back per tank :o :shock:

Who bloody new that wind drag could account for so much fuel usage. I have cleaned the MAF and MAP, going for a trip north of sydney this weekend so will see how much the economy has changed.
Maxiy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion