The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Clean all the old grease out. It's not just water but it dries out over time too. Also ensures that you don't have a compatibility problem. When regreasing don't overfill - too much can lead to difficulty selecting drive or free spool.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby dan.batto on Tue May 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks 5th. Did exactly that. Had the rope bolt snap off a while back and couldn't repair it whilst the winch was in the car so went with the pull out option and figured I'd service the winch too.
Considering the crossings I have done the internals we actually quite good! All marine greased up and back together now.
I was suppose to take some photos as I pulled it apart but with my hands being as dirty as they were I didn't. Overall the winch service itself was easy. Getting it out wasn't!

Click to view larger picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan.batto

Postby coughy on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 am

ok lads im looking at a cheap shit winch i wont be using it very to little to not at all if you know what i mean just a incase i need it
in real life i probly wont use it ever so im no worried about the brand or the cost of $400 for a bit of insurance if i need it or a friend with me needs a winch out..

im looking at these 2 pls let me know which is better??
as i dont have a F##king clue as to what to look for

number 1 has a lower ratio so it wouldnt be as good as the 2nd one??
i have made bold the things i think are a looking in to what is better
from you guys that have winchs

number 1
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/specia ... 54bb33e264
Domin8r 12,000lb Winch with rope which has 196.6:1 reduction ratio ??
and i just seen it has 5 year warranty and ip67 rated this one looks the best i think

DOMIN8R Specifications
Rated Single Line Pull 12,000lbs (5,448kgs)
Motor (Series wound) DC 12V:Input 6.4hp/4.8kW
Gear train 3 stage planetary gear
Gear reduction ratio 196.6:1
Clutch Pull and Turn
Braking Action Automatic in the drum

Fairlead Hawse Fairlead
Rope 9.2mm X 28m
Drum size 2.48" X 8.8" (63mm X 224mm)
Dimensions 22" X 6.2" X 10.2"
(560mm X 157.5mm X 260mm)
Bolt pattern 10" X 4.5" (254mm X 114.3mm)
Net Weight 27kgs

number 2
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/specia ... 54bb33e264
Grande MK III: 12,000lb Winch with Rope which has 218:1 reduction ratio this is better yer??

12000LBS Specifications
Rated Single Line Pull 12,000lbs (5,440kgs)
Motor 7.0hp/5.1kw Series Wound
Gear Train 3 stage planetary gear
Gear Reduction Ratio 218:1
Clutch Keyway Cam
Braking Action Automatic

Main Body Sealed
Control Remote switch, 12ft (3.7m) lead
Remote Control Included
Dimensions 21.3" X 6.3" X 8.6"
(537mm X 160mm X 218mm)
Bolt pattern 10" X 4.5" (254mm X 114.3mm)
Net Weight 27kgs
Finish Matt Grey
Cable 9.0mm X 28m rope
Fairlead Hawse Fairlead
Battery Leads 2 gauge, 72" (1.83mm)
Battery Recommended: 650CCA minimum for winching
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:37 am

Out of those 2 DOMIN8R apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010834 ... 627399180/

A cheap winch is not a lot of use if you finally go to use it and it doesn't work.
If rarely to never used a hand winch might be a better option.
L200Shogun

Postby diver albie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:29 am

L200Shogun wrote:Out of those 2 DOMIN8R apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010834 ... 627399180/

A cheap winch is not a lot of use if you finally go to use it and it doesn't work.
If rarely to never used a hand winch might be a better option.

Agree 100%, and there's no need for winch compatible bar etc. The only done side of the han winch, apart from the work involved is, I keep forgetting to throw it the ute when we go out :roll:
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:35 am

You shouldn't need a 12,000 pounder anyway so there may be some coin to be saved there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sydneymark on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 pm

I understood you want twice it to pull twice the weight of the vehicle so 12000lb is about right

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Warn recommends 1.5x as the minimum capacity. From memory the ARB bar for the Triton is only rated for the smaller rated winches and not the 12,000 so there's a another catch to consider. Not sure on what other bars have done in terms of rating.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:13 pm

cheers guys will do some more looking
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby docta.phipps on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Alot of people have used the supacentre winches and never had a problem.

The runva get really good reviews as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby Overbank on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:36 am

G'day gents, looking for some wisdom:
I've got a 2013 MN with TJM T15 bull bar fitted. I want to fit a winch before driving the Victoria high country.
1. Do I need stiffer springs in the front for the extra weight? (It's got factory suspension atm) if so can anyone recommend a good value spring and/or fitter? I'm located in Canberra.
2. I've read the T15 bar is good to 9500lb - are there any dramas if I fit a Tigerz 12000? Anyone had any bad experiences with the Tigerz winch?
3. Has anyone DIY'd this or is it too much of a hassle for 1 bloke? (from looking at it I think the T15 bulbar will have to come off to get the winch in).
Thanks team
Overbank

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 am

You will need better suspension/coils springs.
L200Shogun

Postby Jrosey on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Looking for some advice please. I have an Ironman Delux Commercial bar fitted and want to fit a Supercheap Ridge Ryder 12000lb winch. I have 2 main questions ,these being does anybody know if there is physically sufficient height between mounting plate and metal cross section where original number plate was attached and, I think it was "Now the 5th" who mention the mounting plate may not be thick enough. What would be the best way to reinforce this section? Thanks for any suggestions.
Jrosey
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:24 pm

any one tell me if a warn 9500 cti will bolt up to an xrox on the triton ok ?
snakesoup

Postby Geoff3DMN on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Sav wrote:I made the plunge after going out on a 4wd trip and seeing some of the domin8rs in use I bought one. It seems quite good and alot of the guys backed it.

The Grande they did not rate at all.

I had a Grande II on my previous Nissan and it did a fair bit of work, I sold it to a guy at work before I sold that ute and it's been on his Hilux for the last 2 years and it's still going strong and the winch and gearbox still sounds tight.

My almost new domin8r was used to pull me out once then 1 more pull to get out an 80 series Toyota last trip and after that the winch now sounds like a coffee grinder. I haven't taken it to bits (or even off) to have a look yet because it's a big job removing the bull bar but I'm fairly sure something isn't right inside.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jimmy0024 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Hey does anyone have a link to where I can get a winch cradle for an mn without a bullbar cheers
Jimmy0024

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

You can find generic ones on eBay they need some modification to fit.
L200Shogun

Postby s13tsilvia on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 am

Jrosey wrote:Looking for some advice please. I have an Ironman Delux Commercial bar fitted and want to fit a Supercheap Ridge Ryder 12000lb winch. I have 2 main questions ,these being does anybody know if there is physically sufficient height between mounting plate and metal cross section where original number plate was attached and, I think it was "Now the 5th" who mention the mounting plate may not be thick enough. What would be the best way to reinforce this section? Thanks for any suggestions.

I just fitted my winch last weekend,

i have the standard commercial bar, the mounting plate is plenty strong enough if its the newer type that is a round bar between the chassis rails with the flat plate on top of it.
You will probably need to cut the thin metal where the number plate mounted as my winch was too big, had to take about 1/2" off to make it fit and rotate the gearbox housing 1 turn as well.
s13tsilvia

Postby ozrider81 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm

school me on winches, just starting to look at getting trying 1 before my May wonnagatta trip, more keen to get out in alpines as a deer hunter I have a xrox bulbar mounted atm, I don't do a whole heap of 4wding, and bit to cautious to put my self in situation where would need to winch probably be winching out some other goose then myself.
had been looking at runva and warn winches, with the rope, so many people pushing me to the warn winch.
so what rating do we go, trying to stick to a budget too :(
, just trying to get things right instead of just going in without a plan, shot myself in foot few times in past rushing thing not wanting to do the same mistakes again
ozrider81

Postby Jatz on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:09 pm

After some advice. Looking to fit a Domin8r X over the weekend to a ARB deluxe bull-bar. How many bolts do I need to remove to take the bull-bar off. I also remember reading somewhere about possibly leaving two bolts on and rotating the bull-bar enough to get the winch through. Any tips.
Jatz

Postby Jacobie on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Jatz wrote:After some advice. Looking to fit a Domin8r X over the weekend to a ARB deluxe bull-bar. How many bolts do I need to remove to take the bull-bar off. I also remember reading somewhere about possibly leaving two bolts on and rotating the bull-bar enough to get the winch through. Any tips.

Not sure about the ARB deluxe, but mine has 6 mounting bolts all up, you could probably take out the top 2 on either side and loosen the bottom two to move it forward.
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby aids84 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:44 pm

ozrider81 wrote:school me on winches, just starting to look at getting trying 1 before my May wonnagatta trip, more keen to get out in alpines as a deer hunter I have a xrox bulbar mounted atm, I don't do a whole heap of 4wding, and bit to cautious to put my self in situation where would need to winch probably be winching out some other goose then myself.
had been looking at runva and warn winches, with the rope, so many people pushing me to the warn winch.
so what rating do we go, trying to stick to a budget too :(
, just trying to get things right instead of just going in without a plan, shot myself in foot few times in past rushing thing not wanting to do the same mistakes again

I've got a Runva 11xp mounted to my xrox and it seems to be a good bit of gear. We have replaced a few Warn winches which were sold as a genuine accessory on Nissan Patrols under warranty at my work, so for the premium you pay for Warn I'd say they're not really worth it. Haven't heard of many people having issues with Runva and they are pretty good with warranty.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dueble on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Jatz wrote:After some advice. Looking to fit a Domin8r X over the weekend to a ARB deluxe bull-bar. How many bolts do I need to remove to take the bull-bar off. I also remember reading somewhere about possibly leaving two bolts on and rotating the bull-bar enough to get the winch through. Any tips.

Hey Jatz did you end up doing it? I am going to do this exact same job on the weekend. I have had a look and it seems like more then 6 bolts to me. Any tips would be great.
Cheers

Chris
dueble

Postby Jatz on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:05 am

dueble wrote:

Hey Jatz did you end up doing it? I am going to do this exact same job on the weekend. I have had a look and it seems like more then 6 bolts to me. Any tips would be great.
Cheers

Chris
Hey Chris, When I got around to it I found there are five bolts on each side. I was able to remove 4 and leave the 5th in place (but loose) and tip the bar enough to get the winch in from underneath. I just tied the bar to the roof of my garage with a couple of ratchet straps for support. You will also need to get an offset fairlead for the ARB bar.Few hours work. Good Luck

Click to view larger picture[/url][/img]
Jatz

Postby Jatz on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 am

Hi All, FInally got around to installing the Domin8r X winch.
There is a thin strut on the front on the winch (the two thicker ones are at the back) that sits right in the middle of the fairlead as you look directly at the winch that looks like it will get in the way.
Is this used to guide the rope or should it be removed now the winch is bolted to bar.
When I look at photos from supacentre website this strut is not shown in the photos. I have also tried contacting them with no luck.
Keen to get throughts and what other guys have done or if I have missed something.
Cheers
Jason
Jatz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion