The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby Mooons on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:43 am

Some may like it
I'm not sure i would have it hanging off the front I worry enough about stress on my CV's :o
also as it relies on the wheel slipping to work the more advanced vehicles :twisted:
that have traction control may wish to stick to the conventional electrical winch ;)
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 am

renshaw wrote:Like I said before! Any winch on the market has its pros and cons.....
We all could so here banging on keyboards what's good and bad about them all!
At the end of the day if it gets you out of a stuck place, without having to call a small army team in to recover you then your in front already!
Still beats swinging off a turfa winch any day!

Here is a vid on how it works ;)

http://youtu.be/JY4cKc4FKSM
Or YouTube wheel winch

i guess it is one of those things - some will like it and some won't. don't know if i agree with him at 57 seconds though.

things i like about it compared to traditional front mount electric winch;

you can winch in reverse recoveries
not limited by your battery capacity / heat load on winch

things i dont like about it;

You cant winch your mates/others with it.
i reckon the rope would break in many situations as it is very low and exposed - poly rope does not like sharp obstructions
like Sej mentioned the winch wheel has to spin - so open diff with opposite spinning wheel wont work
sometimes in bogged situations getting these things on in mud would be a nightmare.
winching on an angle might be difficult (i.e. trying to pull the front around)
lot a stuff to carry IN your car - unlike an electric winch that you just have a controller (well maybe two :oops: :oops: )

i like the ground anchor though. great in those locations lacking trees! :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:32 am

As the video says, it comes with two spools for each side. it will work perfectly with an open or LS differential.
Not sure if I would trust it though - just doesn't seem safe...
Froggy

Postby hcr83 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 am

anyone got the new V8 Winch from Roo Systems??

wondering if they fit into an ARB Bullbar.
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:52 pm

any opinions on Runva winches, or even a specific model that excels .......?

Mojo..
Monkeyz

Postby c-dale on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:43 pm

I have a Runva EWX 9500-Q. I have only used it once and that was to pull out a tree so cant comment on reliability or durability but the build quality is good and it has all the features, rope, corded and cordless control.

The one thing that cought me a little by surprise, and that could just be because I had never used a winch before, is that it took a second or so for the winch to stop spooling after I stopped pressing the button. That was both the cord and cordless.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Monkeyz wrote:any opinions on Runva winches, or even a specific model that excels .......?

Mojo..

I've got the 11xp and it's been great.

Click to view larger picture

It skull dragged the Triton through Tasmania for the last month and never missed a beat...

Click to view larger picture

the free spool is smooth and effortless and it winched for 5min solid on a double line pull without cutting out through over heating.

The remote is a waste of time in my opinion as the delay gives me the shits.

For sub $700 I rate it highly.

:D
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gazman152 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:50 pm

I second that - I have the runva 11000 XP in my arb bar. Fitted up fine without completely removing bar ( just hinged it away at the bottom a bit ). Good gear for $ paid. Easy DIY.
gazman152

Postby Monkeyz on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Motoz you deserve a high 5 for that sink hole you managed to find, and as driver Im hopin it was the passenger that had to set the winch up :twisted:

an thx all for the timely feedback, I was thinkin of this...

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/runva-winches/runva-winch-ewx-12000/

For $700 bucks the stats look excellent as does the warranty.

Mojo... :mrgreen:
Monkeyz

Postby slicvs on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi all, installed a runva 9500 winch a couple of months ago and havent had a reason to use it yet, as i cant seem to get my triton stuck! trust me ive been trying, just so i can use my winch lol!!! but the other night i finally got my chance! pulling my mates HILUX out!... he was bogged to the rails in sand pulling the boat out of the river... So i got my chance and pulled a heavily bogged hilux full of work gear on the tray and his 4 meter boat on trailer! the winch worked faultlessly!! id recommend the runva to anyone after seeing that! Very impressed!

Mick
T rusty
slicvs

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm

That's good to hear. I ordered the Runva 11XP wolf edition today,
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 pm

To the guys who 'haven't been stuck, haven't needed to use it'

I would recommend running out the full length of rope/cable every couple of weeks. This ensures the parts in the gearbox maintain their coating of grease, everything works and hasn't seized/rusted together, bearings are rotated and grease dispersed around them, stator and brushes aren't corroded and a good electrical connection, isolator works etc.

Sitting idle these things can happen. Also, you don't want to need it and not know if it's gonna work.

A good idea to do it after water crossings etc too ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 am

What's the general consensus on the tigerz domin8or winch?
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:35 am

StiddyGLX-R wrote:What's the general consensus on the tigerz domin8or winch?

The best description I have heard is "Yes there are failures but with thousands sold there is bound to be a few bad ones" in all my reaserch they on face value are a decent unit...but.

as an alt idea have a look at these :-

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/runva-winches/runva-winch-11xp-wolf-edition/

better stats, better warranty, cheaper and is from a forum sponsor, so maybe Wolf will offer a discount...Runva are well respected in the US and well known in comp circuits...

Mojo.... :D
Monkeyz

Postby siwren on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 am

If you read the fairly massive post on 4x4earth regarding winches and warranties, there is a lot of useful information in there, especially in regards to water ingress.

Based on that info, I bought a Runva 11XP recently and seems a good bit of kit. I've mounted the winch but haven't wired it yet (this weekend) but there are some things to keep in mind if you have an ARB bar. I had to take the bar off to make mount it as I couldn't pivot the bar enough on the bolts to get it to fit.

You will need an offset hawse and longer bolts to go through the hawse and bar and have enough thread in the winch itself.

Also, I was able to get the winch, the offset hawse and have it shipped for less than the advertised price, though I did have to wait as there is apparently limited supply at the moment. Several companies sell the red and black ones too.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby PhatVelvet on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

So I'm keen for a runva 11xp limited edition, but wolf haven't replied to pm, post on a topic or a query through their website. This has made me doubt their after sales service/warranty issues, if I can't even speak with them to buy one... How has everyone else's experience with them been?
PhatVelvet

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:15 pm

They were recently at a show in Brisbane and of course now we're into Easter and everyone will be on leave so I expect some allowances might need to be made there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Monkeyz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:They were recently at a show in Brisbane and of course now we're into Easter and everyone will be on leave so I expect some allowances might need to be made there.

Wat e said .... :P :P

Mojo.... :D
Monkeyz

Postby GLXRPerrett on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Just bought and received a ORU 12000lb winch with Dyneema - $630. Mate has the 9000lb and it runs great. Has a remote and a cable attachment.
GLXRPerrett
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bbc111 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 pm

I have a roo systems winch mounted in my arb bar the same sort of winch as tiger11 no problems so far
bbc111

Postby Chill on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a tigers 11 grand with the dyneema rope and have not used it since it's been on but I do wind it out every couple of months to get the unit moving
Chill

Postby hammy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:50 pm

i have the 12000lb Tigerz11 Grande

2 things that annoy me are the size of the control box and the remote is a little more laggy then id like but as far a winching goes its a champ and for $495 its a bargain
hammy

Postby goatio on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi does anybody know if a ruva 11xp will fit on an xrox bar?
Thanks
goatio

Postby Rd1 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm

A question for those with an ARB bullbar and an 11xp winch. Did you just bolt it straight in or did you rotate the clutch? Where did you mount the control box? I am thinking about cutting and opening up the two small holes in the middle on top of the bar and then mounting it dead centre and putting all the wires through the enlarged hole. Going to paint my bar to match the cool silver so cutting the tiny bit out of the bar does not bother me .
Thanks on advance.
Rich
Rd1

Postby insomniac92 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 am

Rd1 wrote:A question for those with an ARB bullbar and an 11xp winch. Did you just bolt it straight in or did you rotate the clutch? Where did you mount the control box? I am thinking about cutting and opening up the two small holes in the middle on top of the bar and then mounting it dead centre and putting all the wires through the enlarged hole. Going to paint my bar to match the cool silver so cutting the tiny bit out of the bar does not bother me .
Thanks on advance.
Rich

You have to rotate the gearbox. My control box is mounted on top of the bar, dead center, I know some have done a stealth install, putting the control box out of sight somewhere. Drill 2 small holes to mount it. The wires will split off into pairs, so 2 go down one of the big holes at the back of the bar, the other 2 go down the other hole.
Cheers
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion