The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby DaleDingy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Have any of you gents had significant problems overloading ARB delux bar with 12000lb winches? As stated they're only rated for 9500lb.

I'd personally like to install the Runva 11xp (11000lb) but have concerns regarding potential damage. Can I reasonably expect to occasionally operate this winch under full load without complications?

The sensible choice would be to restrict winch size but I'm interested in hearing your experiences. How has this combination worked previously?

I'm also considering the Runva EWX9500-Q Competition Model, can anyone provide feedback?

Cheers guys.
DaleDingy

Postby dunney on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:05 am

The Alberto wrote:4x4 action did a comparo a little while ago and this is what they came up with:

1st Premier 9000lb $1495
2nd Warn 9.5XP $2028
3rd TJM/OX 9500lb $999
4th Ironman 9500lb $799
5th Opposit Lock 9500lb $950
6/7th TMAX 9000lb $699
6/7th TMAX 10,000lb $799
8th Warn 12,000lb $2432
9th Mile Marker 9000lb $1539
10th Warn Magnum 9000lb $934

looking at either a mcc or oppositelock bull bar on my triton and need a winch for it.

looking at the runva 9500 winch very hardly, but cant seem to understand why more people havent tried the T/max 9000. at 699 seems to me good value for money on the above test.

also looking at the ironman also but I don't think it would be any better than the runva winch which is several hundreds$$$ cheaper.
dunney

Postby kochy007 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi All,

First time, kinda the second time but didn't introduce myself 30 secs ago.

Name is Kochy and I own a ML Tri and have owned since 2007. It's only now that I'm starting to build the tri up from buying it standard + an ARB delux bully and now I need some help before I hit up the shop (booked in on Monday) for a $350 fitting bill.

I've bought myself a Grande 12000 winch and I'm stuffed if I know how to mount the thing.

I took the bar off today but I couldn't stop scratching my head as to how the bloody thing mounts. Firstly the bar has mounting points at the front. The Grande mounting holes are on the bottom of the winch and the clutch is on the top. So mounting the winch means the clutch is now toward the radiator :?: :?: How do I stick my hand down the hole to turn the clutch? What else was weird was where the winch sits. if it was mounted it means the rope isn't in line with the rope hole (I'm a newbie dunno what else they're called) even if I mounted the fairlead the bar hole is about 1 or 2mm too high and that would be the first thing the rope hits instead of the fairlead.

I called ARB today and they reckon "it's a winch bar is the winch will fit, if the winch doesn't fit it's a normal bully" Then went on about how I should buy the Warn MX10 from them for $1050. blah blah blah.

So I need some help from fellow Tri owners who have gone down the Grande 12000 path and how it was installed.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help me save some build funds.

Cheers,
Kochy.
kochy007

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:37 pm

kochy007 wrote:Hi All,

Name is Kochy and I own a ML Tri and have owned since 2007. It's only now that I'm starting to build the tri up from buying it standard + an ARB delux bully and now I need some help before I hit up the shop (booked in on Monday) for a $350 fitting bill.

I've bought myself a Grande 12000 winch and I'm stuffed if I know how to mount the thing.

I took the bar off today but I couldn't stop scratching my head as to how the bloody thing mounts. Firstly the bar has mounting points at the front. The Grande mounting holes are on the bottom of the winch and the clutch is on the top. So mounting the winch means the clutch is now toward the radiator :?: :?: How do I stick my hand down the hole to turn the clutch? What else was weird was where the winch sits. if it was mounted it means the rope isn't in line with the rope hole (I'm a newbie dunno what else they're called) even if I mounted the fairlead the bar hole is about 1 or 2mm too high and that would be the first thing the rope hits instead of the fairlead.

I called ARB today and they reckon "it's a winch bar is the winch will fit, if the winch doesn't fit it's a normal bully" Then went on about how I should buy the Warn MX10 from them for $1050. blah blah blah.

So I need some help from fellow Tri owners who have gone down the Grande 12000 path and how it was installed.

Cheers,
Kochy.

I dont own a winch but have read of people roating the clutch/mounts. I assume they remove parts. Rotate and re attach, hopen someone has better advice than md
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Monkeyz on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:44 pm

http://www.ironman4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/monster_winch_ug.pdf

Different winch I know but shows the removal and rotation of the clutch...etc..

Grande video here

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/grande-12000lb-winch-dyneema.html

Mojo.... :geek:
Monkeyz

Postby 02-SR5 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38 am

kochy007 wrote:Hi All,

Cheers,
Kochy.

YouTube is your friend. Look up how to rotate winch clutch. Piss easy.

Remove the two Crome rods across the top, this will separate the clutch end.
02-SR5

Postby kochy007 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

It pays to be apart of a community like this. Thanks heaps for the advice. Once I have mounted it, I'll try and post some pics.

Cheers,
Kochy.
kochy007

Vrs 9500 winch

Postby tony222@bigpond.com on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

Hi guys
Just wanted to know has any one fitted a vrs winch to a ARB bull bar ? And who ever have bought a VRS 9500 winch your thoughts on them

Regards
Tony
tony222@bigpond.com

Re: Vrs 9500 winch

Postby har05l on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:22 am

Should've posted your Q in here tony ;)

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4743&hilit=Winch+thread
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 am

What are you on Ken? He did, didn't he? :P ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby surftravel on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:02 am

Just bought a Runva 11XP and going to mount it when I mount my new TJM Outback Deluxe bar to my '08 ML.

Anyone done this combo before? Any tips, or is it going to be straight-forward?

Cheers,
Mick
surftravel

Postby motoz on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 am

surftravel wrote:Just bought a Runva 11XP and going to mount it when I mount my new TJM Outback Deluxe bar to my '08 ML.

Anyone done this combo before? Any tips, or is it going to be straight-forward?

Cheers,
Mick

Mate I've got that exact combo on my rig.

Full install write up and pics in my build thread.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby surftravel on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:16 pm

motoz wrote:Mate I've got that exact combo on my rig.

Full install write up and pics in my build thread.

Your rig looks great motoz!

Easy to mount the winch controller/solenoid box on top of the bar, yeah?
surftravel

Postby motoz on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Yes mate.
My winch was missing a few brackets from the box when supplied. I just used some scrap steel and nutserts to fix.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby surftravel on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:11 am

And is it possible to fit, and/or remove and refit, the Runva without removing the bullbar (when servicing the winch)?

Cheers,
Mick
surftravel

Postby Big Gee on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 am

I have that bullbar with a T-Max 9500 winch. It looks physically impossible to remove the winch without removing the bullbar first. The winch mount plate forms part of the bullbar mount bracket as well (fit mount bracket, then winch, then bullbar last).
And the bullbar is a 2 man lift if you don't want to kill yourself ;)

Although i haven't tried it, it may be possible to leave the bottom bolts in the bar and tilt it forward on the mount and extract the winch upwards. If you're assembling your gear yourself, you may want to give this a go while putting it on.

I had a factory winch bar on my Patrol, where the winch could be lowered out the bottom in 10 minutes. Why did I sell my Patrol? :oops:
Big Gee

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:46 am

Big Gee wrote:
Although i haven't tried it, it may be possible to leave the bottom bolts in the bar and tilt it forward on the mount and extract the winch upwards. If you're assembling your gear yourself, you may want to give this a go while putting it on.

i don't remember where but i think this was attempted, unsuccessfully.

it may have been due to the outside wings having to lift when you swing it down, i can't remember. :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tcrow on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 am

Has anyone got any experience or comments on the Outdoors R Us winch range, they seem to be priced very reasonably and have some good features with the steel gears and the double lip seals.
I have done some research on them and they are popular with the Pajero guys.

http://outdoorsrus.com.au/4x4-winches/
tcrow

Postby sydneymark on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Have done a search but can't find an answer, if it's been covered then please give me a link...

I have a ARB basic bullbar, and am finally getting around to fitting a winch - Aldi had a 12,000lb one for $400 so it was too cheap to resist, lol.
I understand it is the same as a tigerz winch.

looking at it i think this is what i need to do, all and any comments welcome...

1. pull the bar off, looks like there are 4 bolts per side, also need to take of the bits that go under and flare back to the front wheel arch

2. bolt on the winch, with the clutch lever on the right hand side as one looks at the front of the car, put the roller bars on the front, but that needs drilling to make it bolt on

3. attach the control box on top of the bullbar, can't see where else it can go, this will need putting in longer bolts to get it through the bullbar, also needs more drilling.

4. refit the bullbar and hook up to the battery

5. buy some dyneema cable :)
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah, you're pretty close.

Most winches should bolt up to those existing pre drilled holes in the bar.

You can mount the control box where you've said, although if worried about vandalism or damage, you can mount it under the bonnet, which may require lengthening of cables etc

If you're going to switch to rope, you need a fair lead to suit, so don't install the rollers that was supplied for the cable

Good luck
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby sydneymark on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm

al coholic wrote:Yeah, you're pretty close.

Most winches should bolt up to those existing pre drilled holes in the bar.

You can mount the control box where you've said, although if worried about vandalism or damage, you can mount it under the bonnet, which may require lengthening of cables etc

If you're going to switch to rope, you need a fair lead to suit, so don't install the rollers that was supplied for the cable

Good luck

goodo.

can't see anywhere under the bonnet where it would fit, the snorkle and fuel filter take up what little remain of the spare space

might stick with the rollers that came with it, seen a few sites that suggest that it makes little difference
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 pm

sydneymark wrote:might stick with the rollers that came with it, seen a few sites that suggest that it makes little difference

For cable or rope??
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Snooozy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm

make sure the fairlead fits the bar. ARB make the bars to suit the Warn winches as that's what they want to sell you.

I had to buy another fairlead to fit mine. :x

If you go with synthetic cable you should fit the correct fairlead as it has no sharp edges or pinch points to damage the rope.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DCDAD on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Snooozy wrote:make sure the fairlead fits the bar. ARB make the bars to suit the Warn winches as that's what they want to sell you.

I had to buy another fairlead to fit mine. :x

If you go with synthetic cable you should fit the correct fairlead as it has no sharp edges or pinch points to damage the rope.

I learnt something there :o , Thanks Snooozy! 8-)
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby sydneymark on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 am

al coholic wrote:
sydneymark wrote:might stick with the rollers that came with it, seen a few sites that suggest that it makes little difference

For cable or rope??

some said that rollers worked fine with rope
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion