The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby sydneymark on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:34 am

Snooozy wrote:make sure the fairlead fits the bar. ARB make the bars to suit the Warn winches as that's what they want to sell you.

the one that came with the winch seems to fit into the space just fine
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:45 am

The risk with rollers is that the dynema or synthetic rope can compress and if on an angled pull potentially come off the rollers in the corners - potentially getting damaged along the way
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 am

quick update, fitted the winch yesterday with the help of some friends, wine and beer :)

luckily one of my friends took charge and prevented a lot of extra work!

took off the plate underneath and side plate that go back to the mudguards

agreed that the winch wouldn't fit up

took out 3 of the 4 bolts holding the main bar on and it rolled open enough to get the winch up and in, now i just have to fit the wiring and some new rope

looking around a lot of rope makers say that if the rollers are new and overlap then there is no need for a new fairlead
just bought 30m of dyneema with a 30m extension, almost as many $$$ as the winch! lol
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 pm

has anyone done this before?

I am having a hard time working out how to mount the control box to the bar, and looking inside it I wondered if I could disassemble the bits and relocate them.
eg.
move the orange master power switch up nearer to the battery
ditto with the control cable and wireless dongle
move the main control unit somewhere in between, probably under the bonnet and protected from the elements

it would need most or all of the cables being replaced with longer ones but that seems to be the biggest issue

i cant see anywhere inside the bonnet or inside the bar work that it could go as it currently is, and if it goes in the common place of between the spotlights on the top shelf of the bar the cables still will be a pain and it will be exposed to the weather
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:31 pm

well ididn't install mine so can't provide inspiration nor detail but my control box is mounted to the firewall side of my battery surround and the winch control port is located in the top of my bullbar. very tidy. 8-)

so doable. just make sure all your cabling is sized appropriately and well connected and insulated.

I dont have an isolator.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattsglxr on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:50 am

I have mounted a Runva 11xp in the Triton and just after the general consensus on the remote. I have heard of them damaging bullbars when another vehicle is using theirs and that they are a bit slow to react when using on your own vehicle. Is it worth just disconecting and using the lead when required?
Mattsglxr

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Sometimes you need to be further away than the corded remote will reach and the wireless ones are invaluable then. I've had 3 different systems and one was just as responsive as the direct connection while the other two suffered from some lag. (Meant for MNs, maybe? :P )

It doesn't cause a problem - you soon learn to lift/press your finger a moment before you need to.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby uelik on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:18 pm

I had a Domin8r winch fitted about 1and half years ago did not had to use it much but when needed worked fin.
Last week i decided to clean and test the winch as i always do ones a months. All went normal winched and pulled out about 10m so i could clean the rope. When i winched the rope in it started not too worked properly anymore. And in the end all i got was a clicking noise from the solenoid.
Click to view larger picture
Next day i rang 4WD Supa Center, they emailed me a Warranty claim form. Which i promptly filled in and attached requested 4 pictures. Today i got a call back from John at the 4WD Supa Center. He asked again about what happened and asked me to unscrew the bottom screw on the motor side and check for rust or water coming out. I did so and as he suspected the screw shaft was all rusted.
The result apparently of a faulty seal, on the early model domin8r leting water in to the motor. He then arranged a new current model domin8r which to be shipped to me under warranty free of charge. Good to see they are keeping there long term Warranty and deliver when needed, John also assured me the current model the seal problem is fixed.
Thanks 4WD Supa Center great service :D
Uelik
uelik

Postby srb on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Yes I'd say your brush gear has jammed up from corrosion... I've seen this happen to quite a few different brands of winches.. If it ever happens when out of warranty or on the trails, you can remove the motor housing and manually free up the brush gear with your fingers.

I had to do this to mine while out on the trails in Tassie, it saved us lots of grief the next day when we really had to rely on it.

The brushes here are so jammed with corrosion, they weren't making contact with the commutator. I used a little wd40 to get them moving again and cleaned everything up with contact cleaner.

TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:17 am

hi srb i have the ol 3 bar hoop bar i am looking into a winch one day
so i am a virgin in the winch department
so how does the winch attach to the bar
do i need to go to ol and get a winch install kit??? the bracket it mounts to??
something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giantz-Unive ... 51a27089f7 :? :? :?
and secondly what do you look for in a winch pros and cons???
free spool , rope v wire , fairleader roller or fixed and so on
i wont be using it very much to little if any but it is just incase :? :? :?
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am

The winch compatible bars have the cradles built in and are not a bolt in accessory.
I'm not too sure if all op bars are compatible with winches? A quick phone call to check would be the go.

Choosing a winch? To be honest, I've never researched the pros and cons of any winch I inherited a cheapo no name 12000lb unit off my father inlaw... I used it all over Australia for 2years and it still works ok.. Although the gearbox sounds a bit rough now.

I since purchased a 10000lb winch from Aldi, I used it up in Coffs recently and it goes very well... Love the remote control hand control compared to the old plug in one.
The gear ratio is slightly higher on the Aldi winch, so has less torque than what I had, but still has plenty.

Cable vs the Dyneema rope? Imo the rope wins hands down!
It's convenient, it's lighter, it's stronger, it's safer, can fit more length onto the spool and you can re-join it if it breaks. The only advantage cable has over the rope, is it can be dragged across rocks without being damaged.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:54 am

srb wrote:The only advantage cable has over the rope, is it can be dragged across rocks without being damaged.

And you can buy nylon sleeves that are supposed to protect against that for the ropes.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Kuff on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 pm

So I saw this in the junk mail today, worth it or just a waste of $400? Seems like a good deal :?:

Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby sydneymark on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:40 am

looks very similar to my Aldi one, which is also very similar to the Tigerz one. Aldi was $399m Tigers a bit more.

Kuff wrote:So I saw this in the junk mail today, worth it or just a waste of $400? Seems like a good deal :?:
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bazzer87 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Installing a Led bar today meant I had to relocate the Winch Conrol Box.
I pulled it apart to move so I didn't have to take the bullbar off. 90% sure I rewired the control box back up the same way I pulled it apart. (Stupid me didn't take a photo but I used colored textas to match wires).

When I ran the winch to test it smoke started going everywhere :o so I disconnected the winch power asap.
The small earth wire from the actual winch (not the control box) had melted through its casing and started melting into all the other wires it was leaning against.

Any ideas what would cause the earth wire to heat up so much? i had earthed it to the mounting bracket of the control box. It's not the fat wire that goes to the battery terminal. :? :?
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Maybe if the other earth wasn't working properly?

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:06 pm

i would say to have smoke like that and melting you have a pos on the neg in the controler box some were :shock:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby kcdusk on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:05 pm

I had a 4WD store (400km away) quote me $850 to provide and install a winch, which would have included taking the bulbar off. I asked a store that is 150km away to quote the same job, and they quoted $1,500 using a TJM winch.

I wrote back to the closer store and asked if they could get nearer to the $850 price, because i preferred to get the work done by their store rather than travel the 400km (which i thought was a fair question and a fair reason for asking them to re-quote) and theres a full $900 difference.

The response i got was surprising, the store got narky and said i best get the 400km store to do it if thats there price.

What is a reasonable price for a TJM 9,500lb winch including bar removal, refit and isolation switch?
kcdusk

Postby Sav on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:15 am

I got quoted $1200 for TJM but that was with a cash back offer they had at the time of $200 so $1400 in total I decided it wasn't worth it. Once I get time I'm going to go visit an ALDI see what they have. If I can pocket $1000 doing something myself I'm going to use rarely anyway then im happy
Sav

Postby ag9111 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:48 am

Winches can vary in price from $400 to thousands. Were they installing the same winch. I would say the TJM winch is up near the $800 to $1000 for supply only.

Maybe they should have pointed that out to you.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:58 pm

i will be looking into on of these i think when it is winch time

http://www.vrswinch.com.au/v12500s-4x4-winch/
seems like the good and it is ip68 rated is just wow awsome
dont know the price but will ask soon
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mayhem2015 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 pm

Is anyone using the Domin8r or Grande MKIII 12,000 pound winches from the 4WD supacentre? Hopefully I will be picking a winch up in the next 6 month and as they regularly have them on sale for around $400 with dyneema rope they look like a reasonable option. Just need something that works and I can get support for if something goes wrong.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby Sav on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:17 am

I made the plunge after going out on a 4wd trip and seeing some of the domin8rs in use I bought one. It seems quite good and alot of the guys backed it.

The Grande they did not rate at all.
Sav

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:46 am

Someone has to pay for the TJM, ARB, etc showroom, advertising and other overheads. :lol:

If you're someone who pulls rigs up the side of cliffs regularly you'd spend money on the best available. If you're a weekendwarrior and simply need the security to be able to extract the rig out of a bog or over slippery bit, a more economy solution would be reasonable.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Tue May 10, 2016 2:24 pm

So I've pulled my winch out and apart for a check/service. Should I degrease it, clean it and regrease it. Or add a little bit of grease to it and leave what is there in it. It's had a little bit of water in it but nothing too bad considering the crossings I have done etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan.batto

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion