The Winch Thread

Anything Triton related

Re: The Winch Thread

Postby coughy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:10 am

it looks wrong to me but i dont have a winch so i cant help m8
but yer that bar will get in the way
is the cable spose to go on the top?? that would get it away from the bar???
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 am

Looks like it's just a bar to keep the front of the winch together during transport if it's dropped, I'd remove it if I was fitting that winch.
OffRoadDave

Postby Minza on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Hey jatz,
I have the grande mklll on my triton and had the same problem, like offroaddave said think it's there for transport, and to tie the rope off to, I removed mine as it was sitting in the middle like yours and the fairlead is what guides the rope on anyway, hope this helps ;)
Minza.
Minza

Postby Jatz on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks guys. Have now taken it off without to many problems.
Jatz

Postby furious on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi, anyone fitted a 9500lbd Ironman winch to the ARB Deluxe Bullbar. Looking at what I'll need to do to fit it.

I think I need an offset hawse but do the bolt holes line up. The ARB guy said maybe, the Ironman said yes all I will need is the offset Hawse.

Be great if someone who has the ARB bull bar and Ironman winch could chime in.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Jatz wrote:
dueble wrote:
Jatz wrote:After some advice. Looking to fit a Domin8r X over the weekend to a ARB deluxe bull-bar. How many bolts do I need to remove to take the bull-bar off. I also remember reading somewhere about possibly leaving two bolts on and rotating the bull-bar enough to get the winch through. Any tips.

Hey Jatz did you end up doing it? I am going to do this exact same job on the weekend. I have had a look and it seems like more then 6 bolts to me. Any tips would be great.
Cheers

Chris
Hey Chris, When I got around to it I found there are five bolts on each side. I was able to remove 4 and leave the 5th in place (but loose) and tip the bar enough to get the winch in from underneath. I just tied the bar to the roof of my garage with a couple of ratchet straps for support. You will also need to get an offset fairlead for the ARB bar.Few hours work. Good Luck

Click to view larger picture[/url][/img]

Fitted the winch up last weekend and did the same as Jatz
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi folks. I had my Runva 9500lb winch installed last year along with my bull bar. Couldn't be happier. I have used it mainly for dragging fallen trees off the trails on my mate's property and it has a lot of grunt. It'll be fun to see if it'll pull my car out of a bog instead of bringing a stump out of the ground instead. Judging by how strong it feels, the anchor will need to be pretty darn strong to pull me out of mud.
On another note, the ARB bars look very similar to the one I got fitted, which is made by Powerful 4x4.
Click to view larger picture
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Maxiy on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:39 am

Hi all.
I'm looking for some advice from the brains trust. I managed to burn the motor out on my old warn xp9000 winch, and I now i am faced with a dilemma.

I have limited cash at the moment so my 2 options are to buy a replacement motor for the warn, or get a 4wd super centre dominator.

The rest of the winch is in decent condition though is quite old now (I got it second hand), plus if I get the dominator winch I will be going from 9000 pound to 12.

Should I fix the warn or go the super centre cheapie?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

I recently installed a Dominator winch. Quite happy with it so far, cant fault it yet. I did quite abit of research on winches, and figured i cud buy 3 Dominators to 1 Warn winch. They seem to be the better of the cheap brands. My need for a winch is seldom, so perfect for my needs
Thongsbot3000

Postby Maxiy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 am

Cheers
Depending how the money situation is looking, this May be the go. I am also a seldom winch user, and the main reason I burnt out the warn was because I hardly used it.
Thongsbot3000 wrote:I recently installed a Dominator winch. Quite happy with it so far, cant fault it yet. I did quite abit of research on winches, and figured i cud buy 3 Dominators to 1 Warn winch. They seem to be the better of the cheap brands. My need for a winch is seldom, so perfect for my needs

Maxiy

Postby Mayhem2015 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am

I have the dominator and have used it like 3 times over the two years it has been in. Never to rescue myself and once to get up my mates driveway for the sole purpose of re-spooling and give the motor a run. It works fine so far and doesn't seam to be worse off with irregular use. I check it before trips to make sure it runs but really it is good value so far.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby Lastchance57 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am

I've owned a Kings Grande MK3 for nearly three years. Never been used in anger but has done the occasional bit of work. Pulling cables thru conduit, rescuing commercial ride on mowers and other weird uses.
It was on the car for over twelve months unused when it was called upon, not a flicker of life, completely useless, a dead weight on the front of the car.
Removed it, quite a job, disassembled it to find a large amount of water and corrosion in the motor, gearbox like brand new however. Never been thru enough water to drown it, no idea where the water entered. Took it to auto electrician who said, "yep there all waterproof".
It was repaired, reassembled and tested. I then coated it several times with a product called Chemsearch, Clearguard. An industrial strength rubberised coating for water proofing. I now unspool and respool every couple of months and always before a trip and its been faultless so far.
My understanding is as they say, use it or loose it.
Lastchance57

Postby Joel on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Just to throw another hat in the ring... my iron man winch has rarely been called apon in its 5 years on the truck (not more than 5 times) but always work when needed. Managed to drag my mates ranger with boat and trailer out of the mud at eucumbene and once I had him out he laughed and said he forgot to release the hand brake :oops:
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm

^^^ Thats Chuck Norris winching straight up there mate.! :o
Thongsbot3000

Postby Joel on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Chuck Norris wishes he could winch like that :lol:
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 pm

:lol:
Thongsbot3000

Postby Maxiy on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:57 am

Thanks Joel I will keep that in mind. I have a little the to shop around, next big trip isn't until next year. I may be able to pick one up in an end of year sale.
Joel wrote:Just to throw another hat in the ring... my iron man winch has rarely been called apon in its 5 years on the truck (not more than 5 times) but always work when needed. Managed to drag my mates ranger with boat and trailer out of the mud at eucumbene and once I had him out he laughed and said he forgot to release the hand brake :oops:

Maxiy

Postby Luckysmit on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:56 am

Will a winch cause overheating issues on a stock triton with no cooing upgrades. I have a ironman bar and want to fit a winch but it looks like it will block a lot of air flow on my 2017, auto, Triton. I see heaps of them around but cant find anyone to tell me if it will have a real world effect.

Thanks
Luckysmit

Postby MN Driver on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:41 pm

I have a mn with a max 4x4 bullbar and a warn winch and I don't have any overheating issues at all
MN Driver

Previous

Return to General Discussion