Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby dirtmover on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 am

Had intermittent surging before but now it's doing it all the time have no faith in my stealer.
dirtmover

Postby GLX58 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 am

dirtmover wrote:Had intermittent surging before but now it's doing it all the time have no faith in my stealer.

Hi mate, firstly welcome to the forum.

Difficult first post, trying to understand what you're after?
GLX58

Postby Carmine23 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:32 pm

I just purchased a new mn trtion picked it up Monday by saterday it was surging has any one found the problem yet I had it at the dealer today only for the stock standard remarks we could not find anything wrong and we reset computer please any one with help it's a brand new car
Carmine23

Postby Carmine23 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Sorry guys it's doing it at about 80kph and it's an auto
Carmine23

Postby snakesoup on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:51 pm

if it's a brand new take it back to dealer and demand they sort it out!
there's a number of things it can be from what I've heard, but if it's brand new sheesh!
snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Carmine23 wrote:Sorry guys it's doing it at about 80kph and it's an auto

get the service guy to go for a drive with you so can show them
snakesoup

Postby Carmine23 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:26 pm

It does not do it all the time that's the problem in 2 days it done it 5 times
Carmine23

Postby Carmine23 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:30 pm

See what happens i will just keep bringing it back
Till they sort it out I'm sure after reading this forum I'm not the only one wish I had just seen this before I purchased it
Carmine23

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 pm

It shouldn't be a permanent issue whatever it is.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kwaka14 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:45 am

Mine is finally booked in for this problem on Monday at City Mitsy Brisbane I will let everyone know whats what when I get some responses from the service guys. i'm pretty confident we can get to the bottom of this and move forward.

Cheers,

Ben
kwaka14

Postby Carmine23 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Ben please let me know how you go I brought my 1 week old trtion in again to be told same story we have reset ecu and now car is still doing same thing I have gone to 2
Different dealers and they still can't work
It out
Carmine23

Postby jrs184 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:07 am

biggibbo wrote:Can't go blaming the dealer when it's ecu software has been rewritten. Maybe need to keep it standard so mitsi can find the problem. If I were you I would be having the conversation with Mercury

Check the vacuum line for the boost control and make sure where it connects to the manifold is clear inside..
jrs184

Postby biggibbo on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:17 am

Try pulling the MAP sensor off and give it a hit with some MAF cleaner. It's hard to get it into the small tube, but did work wonders for my ute. Economy has also dropped by over 1L per 100.
biggibbo

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 am

Pretty weird for vehicles to have issues virtually off the lot.

Seems to point to manufacturing problem.

Our quasi nobility, instead of pulling Australia's pants down to let the Yanks and Asian entities rape us, should be working on getting 'lemon' laws in place and start some serious batting for the consumer.

With all the cost cutting going on around the world, it wouldn't be a surprise if components, such as SCV, etc, are getting through with less Quality control.

If the dealer has been willing to take your money and can't sort a problem in a couple of days then I'd be demanding a replacement or compensation. I said to a Hyundai dealer years ago, in response to their great 5yr warranty at the time, that I want to drive the car after I buy it, not come and visit it every few months on a hoist! :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Carmine23 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi there any one found the fix yet mine is 2 weeks old and still surging only does it at 80kph and not all the time comes and goes dealers cannot find a fix , the dealer thinks now it could be the auto transmission has any body experienced this
Carmine23

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:19 pm

First thing we do is a flow test on fuel return and also fit a temporary clear tube from fuel filter to the pump. (You should not do this if any risk of contamination)

Nine times out of ten the fuel flow will be poor and we find small air bubbles in clear tube.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Could contaminated fuel cause this?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby Azza72 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:06 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Seeking advice.
I've got a ml 3.2 Glx/r, about 6 months ago had the problem of surging, no power, poor economy, blowing smoke etc. a mechanic sorted this for me, carbon build up in manifold etc.
$2300 later. Problem sorted.
Now though, it seems to have a bit of an erratic idle, some slight surging though still making good power, no obvious smoke, economy at 9.4, (std for my car)
Took it to a different mechanic for this problem, he said the airflow meter needed cleaning ?
Seemed to work for a while, now doing it again !
Any thoughts people ?
Anyone had similar ?
I'm not particularly mechanically minded, but want to be armed with right info so I'm not getting worked over by mechanic !
Would appreciate feedback !
Cheers
Aaron
Azza72

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:24 am

Aaron welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to this thread, which is more specific to surging.

This can be a problematic one to solve, but have a read through the forgoing posts which should give you plenty of possibilities.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby als1200 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:55 pm

My work triton done the same thing.
70kph surging.
Auto too.
They fixed it, just cant remember what it was that caused it.
Im sure someone will let you know.
als1200

Postby iamsimon on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 pm

My Triton has just started surging heavily while putting the foot down up hill generally going about 70-80kph. The car revs up and down wildly and sctually loses speed and cant recover. How concerned should I be? Its certainly not a fluttering like some of the others here. It's a 2011 auto glx.
iamsimon

Postby biggibbo on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:32 am

1st change the fuel filter. If no improvement, its probably the SCV and will need replacing. Mine had the exact same thing happening. The fuel filter helped a little, however it was the SCV getting stuck.
biggibbo

Postby Lancejensen on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 am

Mine has a surging issue, started off doing it lightly when cold and around 2200 rpm, now it does it all the time and is creeping down the revs, cleaned the MAF. MAP and scv out but no change, changed fuel filter, blanked off egr but no sucess yet, pulling intake manifold off for a clean this weekend
Lancejensen

Postby hiccup on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi all,

Just new here today. I have read through the 14 pages on this thread and really need to clarify the definition of surging? In a few posts, some people have described a cyclical, vroom, vroom noise and others have described bunny hopping and complete loss of power.

I have the rpm flaring/vroom, vroom noise commencing at around 30-40km/h under acceleration (the tacho moves up and down about 50-100 rpm) and it continues until I set a steady speed. Once I maintain speed at 60/70/80 I cannot notice it. It happens all the time during acceleration and doesn't appear to be related to the ambient temperature being cold or hot nor the engine being hot or cold.

Is this the same problem that people have been able to fix using the following list of maintenance tasks? New fuel filter, cleaning of the MAF, MAP sensors, replacing/cleaning of the air cleaner, checking rail plug, checking connections, using Castrol Active 2T in the fuel, servicing or replacing the SCV.

I took it to a Mitsubishi dealer yesterday (last serviced at 54k at the dealer I bought it from and now has 62k on the dial) and the stealer reckons that the car needs to have the manifold removed and cleaned, the injectors done, the tappets serviced as well as a 10k service and that this will be around $1800. They reckon that the previous owner hasn't had the car service appropriately (the 30k service in particular) and that the extended warranty that I bought will not cover any of the known sludge build up problems. The ECU was replaced at 58k and I blocked the exhaust gas just after this.

The problem was very mild before it went to the dealer for the ECU but has been getting more noticeable since then. While at the dealer they performed a coolant/computer update. Since then the fuel economy has gone from 512km on a tank (11L per 100km) to 450km (12-13L per 100km). Fuel filter was changed about 2000k ago but none of the other maintenance has been carried out…..yet.

What do you guys think?
cheers
Paul
hiccup

Postby shortSteve on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Ok, firstly manual or auto? If auto could just be the hunting/slipping torque converter, as once settled on a speed stops happening. If manual, could be surging...
Manifold clogging/cleaning is a common thing, I had a partial blocking plate in until just after 60K on mine, didn't stop the problem, just reduced its' severity. I then ran Tony's SPV resister mod and a catch can, no further carbon issues worth mentioning by the dealer at 90k and was traded running sweetly at 105k. I had surging issues, first at 20k ish, replaced fuel filter, then got worse around 30k. Changed scv was good until 45k from memory, had repeat issue but this time was fuel rail plug. I then decided to clean all plugs/sensors (MAP,MAF and fuel rail) every 7500 and run a fuel additive/lubricant, no problems since then. Now have a PB Challenger, did same mods from new, no issues at 14k.
Hope this gives ya a bit of direction, can be frustrating chasing an intermittent problem like this..

sS
shortSteve

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion