Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby hiccup on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:53 am

Many thanks Steve,

Yes an auto.

I cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors yesterday and put the Castrol 2T into the tank before a fill. Still there.

Will take a look at the SCV and look into the torque converter.

Will post an update once I get it sorted.

cheers
Paul
hiccup

Postby coughy on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:44 pm

hiccup wrote:Many thanks Steve,

Yes an auto.

I cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors yesterday and put the Castrol 2T into the tank before a fill. Still there.

Will take a look at the SCV and look into the torque converter.

Will post an update once I get it sorted.

cheers
Paul

m8 i woould be looking at the rail sensor plug
then i would be getting a new scv it fixed mine

oh remove the sensor just behind the throttle butter fly it is on top easy to get to and looks like a water temp sensor and clean it mine was oily and i cleaned it run better but the big change and fix was the scv.

which one do you have??
the little valve or the big long one??

i have a near new valve hear the little one which we can discuss over a pm if you wont
i had to replace my pump because the pump leaking so i got a new pump and new big scv so happy days

cheers coughy
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hiccup on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks Steve and coughy for your input.

I can report an unexpected success. Since performing the MAP, MAF clean and the addition of the 2T to the fuel, and having driven about 200km, the noise has stopped. It has taken 2-3 return trips to/from work but the surging noise has been slowly dissipating such that the trip home last night and for all of today there has been no surging/hunting of the rpm.

I can only surmise that the oil has gradually freed up the scv. I am still going to service the scv this weekend but it is brilliant that the surging has stopped....at least for now. I even think there is less engine rattle than there was.

Paul
hiccup

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm

The SCV is as important as your heart valves.

Nevenr really thought about oiling up the manifold temp sensor - this weekend's look session.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Geez I like these stories. You sign up, read a bit, ask a question, get the right answers and all but solve the problem in the space of a couple of days.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 pm

lol yer try doing that with the stealers :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby TheBrittons on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 am

Hi , my 09 ML GLXr started surging at high load/speed on the Hume coming back from Melbourne last night.
Lots of hills on the Hume, and the truck would slow to approx. 70kph as any foot on the throttle created the surge/chugging.
It's ok around town and was good through Sydney upto 100kph.
Mechanic can't see it till next Wed :twisted:
but thinks it could be EGR, or clogged manifold (am at 178,000 k's) or....
may be bad fuel!

Is it safe to drive around town/to work until then?..
Help appreciated!
cheers
Graham
be excellent to everyone...
TheBrittons

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:26 am

It could also be an SCV on the way out and/or a dirty MAF or MAP sensor.

Whichever of those many options it is you shouldn't do any lasting damage driving it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby destorman on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:15 pm

hiccup wrote:... I have read through the 14 pages on this thread and really need to clarify the definition of surging? ...

Yeah, good point as they all seem to be different.

Ours, a 2015 MN Manual has it when going down a slight incline in the road - mainly when cruise control is on, rarely when not using cruise control. Ours is more of feeling like the car is slightly stopping, then surging to catch up, so like a mild bunny hop type feeling.

We're also now 12months and 33,000 kms later (first reported as an issue after the 1500km 'free' service) and STILL NO FIX by the dealers, MMA or "Japan". Data has be taken on numerous onroad tests and sent away, but still no solution. It's going back Monday for two weeks so they can try and fix it once and for all, otherwise, we're going for a full refund under the Australian Consumer Laws

Current thinking by MMA and our dealers service tech is that our issue is software related, possibly linked to the software patch / fix that occurred due to the radiator overheating issue. We'll see ... in the meantime, in the last few weeks, they replaced #3 injector as per MMA instruction off some of the data and in the process have now created a diesel leak. Reported that when it went back last week, got told all OK, no leak, but after a drive this morning the strong smell of diesel flooded our garage - climbed under to find the chassis rail soaking wet with diesel.

They've also managed to scratch our bonnet, and left wheel guard.

It's very much a constant process of two steps back, so hence the 'final straw" and two to to fix it or we're off to fair trading for a full refund.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm

l had a similar surge problem on my MN auto some time back, started after a service, took it back and apparently they had flashed it with the wrong code (or something along those lines) anyway, problem disappeared and hasn't come back.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:51 am

destorman wrote:
hiccup wrote:... I have read through the 14 pages on this thread and really need to clarify the definition of surging? ...

Yeah, good point as they all seem to be different.

Ours, a 2015 MN Manual has it when going down a slight incline in the road - mainly when cruise control is on, rarely when not using cruise control. Ours is more of feeling like the car is slightly stopping, then surging to catch up, so like a mild bunny hop type feeling.

We're also now 12months and 33,000 kms later (first reported as an issue after the 1500km 'free' service) and STILL NO FIX by the dealers, MMA or "Japan". Data has be taken on numerous onroad tests and sent away, but still no solution. It's going back Monday for two weeks so they can try and fix it once and for all, otherwise, we're going for a full refund under the Australian Consumer Laws

Current thinking by MMA and our dealers service tech is that our issue is software related, possibly linked to the software patch / fix that occurred due to the radiator overheating issue. We'll see ... in the meantime, in the last few weeks, they replaced #3 injector as per MMA instruction off some of the data and in the process have now created a diesel leak. Reported that when it went back last week, got told all OK, no leak, but after a drive this morning the strong smell of diesel flooded our garage - climbed under to find the chassis rail soaking wet with diesel.

They've also managed to scratch our bonnet, and left wheel guard.

It's very much a constant process of two steps back, so hence the 'final straw" and two to to fix it or we're off to fair trading for a full refund.

That is all kinds of shit. I really feel for you mate. One would ask the question. Will these bad experiences swear you off the brand ?
Jason91

Postby destorman on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:58 am

Jason91 wrote: ... That is all kinds of shit. I really feel for you mate. One would ask the question. Will these bad experiences swear you off the brand ?

If not fixed, Yes - won't be going near Mitsi or a Triton ever again. Hence, the thread I started about what to buy OTHER THAN a Triton. Seriously having to look at the at the moment.

Also, keep in mind, this is our second Triton. We had a 2010 MN, traded it for the 2015 MN. So we knew the vehicle, knew what to expect as far as fuel economy and on road driving etc. Very disappointing, we loved the 2010 and thought we'd jump onto the run out MN to avoid the 'new model' issues and trips back for warranty issues as they were discovered and solutions worked out.
destorman

Postby destorman on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 am

explorer.dave wrote:l had a similar surge problem on my MN auto some time back, started after a service, took it back and apparently they had flashed it with the wrong code (or something along those lines) anyway, problem disappeared and hasn't come back.

Funny you say that, the service tech who is working on ours, a genuine guy, really stuck 'in the system' ... but, he thinks it is software related, but from what I can work out MMA have said no it isn't, hence they had him replace #3 injector. I have a mate with a 2012 MN and his has done it ever since the radiator overheat recall. Our 2010 MN got the recall fix for that too, but never had any issues (no surge, no over revving) but did jump 0.5 l /100 km in fuel usage straight away.

The other thing is, before the 1500 km 'free' service, the 2015 MN was smooth, responsive, and had no issue other than fuel economy higher than our 2010 MN (same tyres, same roads, same driver). The surging issue etc only started AFTER the 1500km service. The tech checked for updates, said there were none loaded, but ... in the issues that unfolded, the fuel pump relearn was then missing. Ah, I think "something" happened when the computer was plugged in at the 1500km free service and they've chased their tails ever since.

Thanks for your input, gives me more to discuss with the tech on Monday.
destorman

Postby Seana on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:13 pm

I had similar. Ordered a replacement SCV and had a local mechanic fit that while doing a service. He said he also found the turbo host to be loose; the clamp was tight but it wasn't making a good seal. He had to use a socket to tighten it right up. Don't know which one fixed it, but it's now perfect again. Actually better than new, it's now got more off the mark than it ever had. I mentioned the problem (sluggish off the mark) to Mitsu every service since 30K.. and never a fix.
Seana

Postby destorman on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Seana wrote:I had similar. Ordered a replacement SCV and had a local mechanic fit that while doing a service. He said he also found the turbo host to be loose; the clamp was tight but it wasn't making a good seal. He had to use a socket to tighten it right up. Don't know which one fixed it, but it's now perfect again. Actually better than new, it's now got more off the mark than it ever had. I mentioned the problem (sluggish off the mark) to Mitsu every service since 30K.. and never a fix.

Cheers for the comment. I'll mention it to the guys working on my car.

Ours back in today. They are looking at software for the surge issue and have now seen first hand the diesel dripping off the chassis - not much to say but, sorry about that, we'll get it fixed while we have it. Plan is, they have it for two weeks, but agreed to give me an update on progress on Wednesday afternoon. So, we'll see what they work out by then ...

Keep you all posted.

PS: Also, full buff to get rid of the scratches and full detail interior to get rid of all dirty marks from workers hands etc. We'll see if the inch of sand FINALLY get's vacuumed up from under the drivers seat (it's a niggle issue - the on hold phone spruiking repeats everytime I call "your fully washed and completely vacuumed car is returned better than new whenever you trust us with your service needs" - yeah well, the fuel leak says otherwise, and the sand under the seat is a niggle of the level of incompetence being displayed.
destorman

Postby destorman on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:30 am

Hey Crew,

If you have the 'surge' issue, can you PLEASE call Mitsi customer care on 1300 13 12 11.

I have been told my issue is "isolated" and therefore not important. The more of us who call and tell MMA direct, the greater chance we have they taking action.

It seems many dealers do not report the issue so the MMA view is there isn't many with the issue.

Cheers.

Hoping to get this resolved for all us.
destorman

Postby destorman on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 am

Hey crew ... further to above, PLEASE call mitsi ASAP. It's in ALL our interests.

As of 3pm yesterday, I have my Triton back. Fuel leak fixed, but the surge issue NOT fixed. By chance I ran into the service tech, who as I've said is a genuine guy and really trying to fix it - he has that look of a frustration in his eye about it. He's just a cog in the system, so limited in what he can do ... BUT, he told me mitsi are now working on a software patch for the issue.

Like we've seen in this thread, there are a number of 'mechanical' things that can cause the issue. Some of those fix it for some, while others like mine, it just does not help ... the service tech has tried them all on mine (so he tells me, and I tend to believe him 'cause he seems genuine in wanting to fix it). MAP, MAF, SCV etc. all checked, cleaned, etc. but he's drawn the line at the 2T into a tank.

He's been adamant it's software related since almost day one. Yesterday, that conversation went into the 'when' and he's convinced it is linked with the software patch that came out with the 'radiator recall' issue. It's been ever since then he's seen, and most have had, the issue(s) - surging when using cruise being just one, as we've seen in this thread.

Our 2015 MN came with the higher pressure radiator cap, and had the software patch from new. In discussion yesterday then, I asked why our 2010 MN hadn't developed the same issue when it had the radiator recall ... "different engine" was his simple response.

So, the timeline is unknown as to when mitsi will have the software patch written and released to the dealer. And with that, comes our tough decision. Do we wait for it on the hope that it will fix it, but burn months, maybe a year or more only to find it does not, OR do we now go and get a refund of the purchase price since we have been told there is no fix at this point in time?

So, where back to the 'what would we buy instead'. Your comments and input into that decision are really appreciate: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6366&start=350
destorman

good old surging issue again

Postby PixelPaul on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:21 pm

so my car has started to surge again in 2nd and 3rd gear when hitting over 3K RPM. :cry:
I cleaned out the carbon build up maybe 15,000 Ks ago, so i am surprised it is doing it again.
My question is, does it really build up this quick? i have actually got a EGR bypass i put in about 2 months ago so i am surprised it is surging now as i assumed the carbon would not build up with it closed off.
Or is there a chance such a thing could be caused by something else? such as bad fuel, as i did recently let the fuel get close to empty.
I also noticed it only happens when the car has warmed up and getting to a standard operating temp ( in the middle on the temp gauge ), it has been warmer days recently too when it has started.
I am starting to lose my mind on this. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would be much appreciated.
PixelPaul

Re: good old surging issue again

Postby leonbee on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:08 pm

PixelPaul wrote:so my car has started to surge again in 2nd and 3rd gear when hitting over 3K RPM. :cry:
I cleaned out the carbon build up maybe 15,000 Ks ago, so i am surprised it is doing it again.
My question is, does it really build up this quick? i have actually got a EGR bypass i put in about 2 months ago so i am surprised it is surging now as i assumed the carbon would not build up with it closed off.
Or is there a chance such a thing could be caused by something else? such as bad fuel, as i did recently let the fuel get close to empty.
I also noticed it only happens when the car has warmed up and getting to a standard operating temp ( in the middle on the temp gauge ), it has been warmer days recently too when it has started.
I am starting to lose my mind on this. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would be much appreciated.

Poor fuel. Change your regular servo or a blocked dirty fuel filter. I also recall a problem with the suction control valve on the fuel pump was a cause for surging. Search the threads on SCV for more info.
leonbee

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm

get a sql done still no good replace scv and do sql again will be golden then
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dazza_241 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 am

So after reading pages and pages in the past and thinking you poor buggers....I now have the surge in my MN! In between 1500rpm and 2000rpm I feel like an L plater bunny hopping down the road. I swear its fuel related (went to a servo I never go to and bang) whether it was because the tank was running low and I have picked up something to clog the fuel filter and in turn damage the scv or in fact it was just crap quality fuel.
The interesting thing was on the scangauge there was a code pending for the map sensor....Seemed strange as the map sensor gets a clean every couple of months.
Has anyone had this combination before :?:
dazza_241

Postby ag9111 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 am

Fuel is always pulled out the bottom of the tank as that is where the pickup is. The fuel is also picked up from the bottom of the tanks in our vehicles as that is where the pickup sits.
I picked up a dirty load of fuel in a Caltex/Woolworths petrol station in Taree on a road trip to QLD. It took me 3 fuel filters and 4 loads of fuel, roughly, to filter it out.
I find a dirty fuel filter usually causes hesitation in the higher rev range, >3k, where the filter can't supply enough volume of fuel.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:50 pm

I always run fuel doctor in all my tanks have not had a issue yet but im running the dual filters as the fuel in remote areas is just Sh!t house.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby OBGBJ on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm

I had the same problem with surging at low revs after i purchased my 2011 MN triton . Initially i removed the SCV and cleaned it out with a carby cleaner. It worked for about a wek and the surging returned. Again i removed the SCV cleaned it with carby cleaner again but this time i used an air gun and blasted it clean inside. My SCV was the type that was not able to be taken apart like some. After a good blow out and some more carby cleaner i reinstalled the SCV and after 6 months it has not missed a beat.

Give this a go and hopefully it works for you too. Good luck!
OBGBJ

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Seeing how score marks appear on the SCV plunger and the effect of surging for a couple of days and then normality again, I'm convinced that minute contaminants sometimes get into the SCV and wedge between the moving components. If your lucky the muck will work its way through and let the bits free up.

My son just had his valve in bits and there were significant marks on the plunger.

I find running a dose of two stroke seems to help clear and mitigate SCV issues.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion