Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby srb on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Homer wrote:They all have the problem mate - that is common rail diesels with EGR valves....all brands and models.

Your old bus is fine because it is old technology combined with no pollution control.

Diesels are very dirty burning engines and to clean them up to make them the poster boy "environmental option" they spruke, they have to choke themselves by re-burning sooty exhaust gases...

Yeah i understand mine is old tech engine not common rail but it still has an EGR system and never a problem... I think it only opens when engine is idling, is that the how it's on the triton? Or is it open all the time?
I asked the dealers today what they new about it and also told them what i'd read on this forum and they said they didn't know anything but would find out for me. :shock: I plan to do a trip around Aus next year so i really want to buy the right truck.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Racer wrote:
I find the Pajero to be a smoother engine than the Triton, why would that be?

De-tuned for the Triton maybe? :?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Racer on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:39 pm

fridgie wrote:De-tuned for the Triton maybe? :?

Yeah I don't know Fridgie, I did a trip down to the Southern Tablelands for a few nights and it was such a nice smooth quiet run down the Pacific, F3 and Hume. I really like the Pajeros...did the same trip in the Ranger a week before. Will be taking a Pajero next time...

A mate downgraded from an ML to an MN and he reckons it drives a lot neater....who knows....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby fraz91 on Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I've been having this problem for about 2000kms now. Asked the dealer about it last time and they found an oil leak instead so fixed that first. They couldn't get it to surge though when connected to the laptop. Had gone away for a while but now surges when in 4th and 5th on cruise control anywhere above 1600rpm. However mine only really does it when it's warm. When it's cold, it just drops the engine speed from when i change gears (2500rpm) to idle almost instantly. I actually have to rev the engine before i go to the next gear because otherwise it slows the car down again.

The other problem i've been having is massive amounts of smoke when accelerating hard. again, i'd expect this sort of thing to happen when it's cold, but when i've just driven from maroubra to liverpool and am accelerating to get back on the M5 to head home, it definitely shouldn't be spewing out the amount of smoke it is... Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing the smoke? Bad tuning or something else?

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

What colour smoke?

I was getting a lot of black smoke a while back. Cleaning the MAF sensor fixed it for me.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 am

far as i can tell it's white smoke. that being said, it's hard to see when you're accelerating up to 100 and trying to merge. I get that there's going to be unburnt fuel, but that is a phenomenal amount of unburnt fuel if you ask me.

fraz91

Postby Homer on Wed May 18, 2011 8:08 am

Have you had your tappets adjusted lately?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed May 18, 2011 11:11 am

fraz91 wrote:far as i can tell it's white smoke. that being said, it's hard to see when you're accelerating up to 100 and trying to merge. I get that there's going to be unburnt fuel, but that is a phenomenal amount of unburnt fuel if you ask me.

i thought unburnt (or overfuelling) was black, not white.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm

snowman wrote:
fraz91 wrote:far as i can tell it's white smoke. that being said, it's hard to see when you're accelerating up to 100 and trying to merge. I get that there's going to be unburnt fuel, but that is a phenomenal amount of unburnt fuel if you ask me.

i thought unburnt (or overfuelling) was black, not white.

yeah me too. Didn't someone say the other day that white smoke was moisture and blue smoke was oil?

Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Homer wrote:Have you had your tappets adjusted lately?

This is done in the 30k service
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 pm

yeah, blue smoke is oil being burnt. I was told that white smoke is unburnt fuel, since a lot of diesels have lots of unburnt fuel on startup in the cold simply because they're inefficient till they warm up. I could have been told wrong though. Yes the tappets have been done with the 30k service. car is going to stealer tomorrow to have the clutch thrust bearing checked out (been chirping/squeaking for ages) and get the surging issue checked out as well

fraz91

Postby Homer on Wed May 18, 2011 5:01 pm

AFAIK bad injector type unburnt fuel is black...run on type unburnt fuel is white.
My MQ just poured out white smoke when the injector pump stayed full rail and it would start.

Why I asked about the tappet adjustment and possible leaking fuel lines...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby chaser on Wed May 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Seen a few mn's of late with scv valves playing up? I always check fuel pressure and injector duration every service.

doubt injector pipes will cause it to surge tho...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

So what's the go chaser? My impression is that usually surging is either ECU related (ie update software especially for 4 speed autos) or SCV related. How does your average customer with a dodgy SCV avoid being fobbed off with a reflash?

My surging comes and goes and I've been ignoring it but I can see it ending up as two trips to the dealer instead of one.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chaser on Wed May 18, 2011 10:36 pm

I can't tell you how to handle being fobed off, cause I've never done it. If I can't sort it out generally they don't beat me I refer it to my service manager who gets in contact with mits diagnose the problem.
I have done a few ecu upgrades and its sorted out. If still playing up I then check fuel pressure on the mut. The replace scv if I find it faulty....
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby Tony on Thu May 19, 2011 5:47 am

Hey chase, ever found the limiter causing issues? reason I ask is, mine played up even with no chip or rail pressure increase in the early days.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu May 19, 2011 6:08 am

chaser wrote:Seen a few mn's of late with scv valves playing up? I always check fuel pressure and injector duration every service.

doubt injector pipes will cause it to surge tho...

I was much more concerned with massive clouds of white smoke :shock: surging isn't critical.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am

Car has gone to stealer to get stuff sorted. The white smoke was only under heavy acceleration, not all the time. if it had been all the time then i'd have taken it back a lot earlier to get that rectified.

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 am

got the car back same day but wanted to see how it all held up.

Surge is still there, albeit slightly softer now. Car seems to drive a bit differently since the ECU reflash they did...
Chirping from clutch went for about a day and a half, then came back. Their strategy of "grease till gone" obviously didn't work.

fraz91

Postby chaser on Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 am

Tony wrote:Hey chase, ever found the limiter causing issues? reason I ask is, mine played up even with no chip or rail pressure increase in the early days.

Limiter? Not sure what u are talking about mate? The fuel rail mod that some do? I haven't worked on a vehicle with a limiter installed so i couldn't tell you anything. But as i have said before i don't like the mod it self.

chaser

Postby biggibbo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:02 pm

My truck had it's 60,000 service done 4 weeks ago and has been driving like a pile of $hit ever since. It started surging and throwing CEL's on the way home and even went into limp mode. They have reflashed and checked out the manifold and all is OK (originally told me the manifold was clogged, but it was only oily, no carbon as it has been blanked since day 1).

They have diagnosed as a faulty MAP sensor (code P0299) however parts are 4 weeks away so I just have to put up with it. Meanwhile I have reinstalled the chip and blank and now it seems to be running ok again, with only slight surging at light throttle.

Not sure whats doing with the surge as it only reared its head nastily after the service. Wondering if they screwed something doing the tappets.

4 weeks without the chip i have to say, don't know how people drive the MN without the extra assistance of the chip. It is so gutless down low, and you constantly change gears and the fuel economy sux. Hope the MAP sensor comes in soon and it gets sorted.
biggibbo

Postby Mattstruck on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:57 pm

SCV valve? Whats that? Mine did a surging thing yesterday - twice.

Been ok since :?
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby fraz91 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:02 pm

The Suction Control Valve (SCV) controls the amount of fuel that the rail receives via the fuel pump. AFAIK this is done by limiting the amount of fuel that the fuel pump can attain, via a solenoid attached to a valve. By constantly opening/closing it maintains a constant flow to the fuel pump, providing a nice, smooth acceleration. If this valve "sticks" open, then you get uneven fuel flow, and hence the "surging" (caused by too much fuel entering the rail, then not enough, and so on).

Mine started in a big episode, then went away for a couple of weeks, only to slowly rear its ugly-ass head again... Will hopefully be able to get the manifold replaced at the next service due to carbon build-up and increased fuel consumption.

fraz91

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Bit of an update.

The MAP sensor has been replaced, and have had no more engine codes, and the surging has been removed completely.

Still waiting on the replacement turbo to get back my missing power, but so far it seems to have solved the gremlins in Fred for now.
biggibbo

Postby Lanceuppercut on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Mine does this early in morning when it's cold and only in reverse my brother had 1 swell but a auto his Is terrible
Lanceuppercut

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion