Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby spargo on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I imagine that cost might include the time taken to diagnose the problem? If so that's not a bad outcome money-wise given the range of things that can cause this sort of problem.

Yes it was. Yes, was happy with the outcome.
spargo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Maybe I should drive up there and get them to fix mine. It would be worth it I think. :roll: :?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jimmy Triton on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I have a 2010 Manual GLX-R D/C and have done 96,000k with the same problem. So is anyone able to tell me if they have found where the problem is coming from and can it be fixed and is it a warrently job ? And if I replaced the muffler with a 2 1/2in straight through from the turbo back will that fix this EGR problem ?
thanks
Jimmy Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Yeah it can be a warranty issue but you need to find a good dealer who will work through the possibilities for you.

A larger exhaust will not stop the EGR problem, it's being recycled before it gets that far as I understand it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Jimmy Triton wrote:I have a 2010 Manual GLX-R D/C and have done 96,000k with the same problem. So is anyone able to tell me if they have found where the problem is coming from and can it be fixed and is it a warrently job ? And if I replaced the muffler with a 2 1/2in straight through from the turbo back will that fix this EGR problem ?
thanks

No new exhaust won't fix it search the forum you will find the answers
search carbon buildup and read then post questions....
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:11 pm

This might help info from my dealer and my own research
viewtopic.php?t=4813#p268941
viking shippy

Postby WH500 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 am

Hi All
have had this problem since new have done 32k and back to the dealer 6 times no fix it is bad on cruise control and a danger when going through round a bouts. seems better when pulling a load. have asked dealer to fix for the last time if no fix I will axe the junk.
WH500

Postby bluey0_0 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 pm

check fuel filter mate.
bluey0_0

Postby Weets on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

My MN triton GLX-R 2011, 15000km is having surging issues. It got to the point where it's a pain in the ass to drive. If it is a software issue has anyone else got theirs fixed?
Weets

Postby bluey0_0 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

again. read my post straight above yours.

if its at 15000 k's then it would be the same issue as me.

reasoning i got. caltex got a shit load of shit fuel. and all i ever used was caltex. they showed me my fuel filter and it was f-ing disgustingly bad.
bluey0_0

Postby Mooons on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Damn it's back
Mrs Mooons has complained about surging
The way she explained it was like she could feel the fuel sloshing around in the tank but gradually getting worse
Pulled out the unfilter as it was in need of a clean & put a paper one back in surging has gone but blows a bit of smoke on acceleration
I'll get it looked at when I get back from Sydney next week
It's coming up for its 60,000 km service
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ratstriton on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 am

Not good mate I thought they sorted it at the last service.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 am

They did
But it's back Astrid just gave me a text saying the filter didn't fix it
So it may be an early morning thing when cold ill check it out later
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 am

Is there any resolve to this issue?
My ute has been surging now and then and generally lasts for 2 days. Now its been surging for 2 weeks and I've had 2 tanks of fuel from different shell service stations through the car.
I've booked it in for this Thursday but the dealer said there's nothing more they can do and I have to escalate it!
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby HAWK66 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:12 am

Hi guys just joined the other day. I pick up my new My14 GLXR next Monday. Gee Im a bit scraed now is this a major problem??? Just hope I didn't make a mistake :shock:
HAWK66

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm

The problem with surging is that it's pretty non-specific. It can mean carbon build-up, blocked filters, bad fuel, an ECU issue of some sort - so many different things and often it comes and goes as well which makes diagnosis all but impossible at times.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gregned on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Had it diagnosed today. Ended up ordering SCV to change out next week. See what happens
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby Big Damo on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:12 am

let us know how it goes gregned...few interested people I would imagine
Big Damo

Postby gregned on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 am

Will do
As an aside there are 2 types of surges I'm aware of one is a higher frequency surge with a frequency of about 4 to 5 times per second.

And what I had which was 1 to 2 times per second and was almost always more prevalent up a slight incline with cruise on.

This surging usually went away after a day or two and by the time Mitsubishi could fit me in it was well and truly gone.

A slight incline was too far out of Mitsubishi's way to get to so they were un willing to test!
I will note that when I was running a chip and later a Ecutec tune the symptoms became more apparent.
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby shortSteve on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Had a read of the mma, dealer fault diagnosis tree graph thingy, basically 2 types of surging (one on Cruise only, light throttle related, the other more severe), from there 2 diagnostic options (does it throw a cel or not), from there a list of possible faults, including maf sensor/plug, air filter/fuel filter, egr problem (in the system or carbon build up), valve clearences/injector relearn (SQL???), Fuel rail pressure limiter bypass/leakage or SCV.
Mine is VERY intermittent, only started happening about 2 days after the 30k km service where valves and a sql was done aswell as a quick manifold clean (wasn't very carboned up they reckon), was happening under light load (freeway cruising and under hard acceleration,EGT's jumped up about 100 degrees and loud turbo flutter) so i cleaned MAF, checked/cleaned filters, installed billet rail limiter (from Chip-it) and problem went away. For a few weeks. Now comes and goes maybe once or twice a week for a couple of minutes at a time, very irregular.
Have asked for a new scv at next service (in 2 weeks), can't think of anything else it could be. As i would expect, the dealer started with the easiest options first before having to throw parts at it, happy with the service and helpful attitude. Will post up if the scv fixes the problem outright, may save others a bit of time in fixing their issues :)

sS
shortSteve

Postby RossyB07 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Hey,

Had my 60k service done awhile ago and not long after my car started surging between 2000rpm and 3000rpm. Was giving me the shts so I took it to mits to inspect and the diagnosis was my fuel filter was blocked. They replaced it and so far it has been great. Fingers crossed. Cheers
RossyB07

Postby kwaka14 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 pm

So here we are again with the surging issue:
Mine is a MN12 auto with 10,000 on the clock and the only mods I have done are the ECUTEK re-flash and a K&N filter, the car did surge a couple of times before these mods but only on the freeway doing 100-110-120 speeds with the cruise control on and the car just sitting on 2000 RPM.
Now recently I have had the chance to take the car down the coast a couple of times consecutively, as I rarely drive the triton these days, but going along the freeway same sort of speeds 100-110. Driving the car on the flat level roads the engine gets a surge in it and RPM's jump from 2000 to 2100-2200 then just goes back down quite quickly after it jumps up then all fine for a while then may do it again its quite intermittent in when it comes and when it goes.
It does seem to happen when the engine becomes a little unloaded like just after you come off the crest of a very small incline "talking very small" if you get what I mean then it feels like the cruise control just cant decide WTF it should do. The speed does not change one bit when it does this just the revs pick up then die back down.

I want to just get some more info from you guys before going into the dealer to say here is the issue what do you recommend to do so I get the car I paid for and what it is said to do. Reading this thread there doesn't seem to be any consistent reasons for the surging and even the type of surging itself.

Looking forward to your thoughts and feed back guys.

Cheers,

Ben
kwaka14

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:25 pm

There is a fairly recent ECU reflash out to fix exactly that sort of problem. Only problem is that it will remove your tune so you'd have to go back and get that re-done.

Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:24 am

I had the same surging you described and didn't matter what the dealer tried it wouldn't go away. Tried fuel filter, SCV, software etc but couldn't get rid of it, and adding blank just exacerbated the problem.

After getting rid of the blank recently and going a different method of keeping the erg closed it seems to have gone away.

I would be chatting to ecutek and seeing if they can help
biggibbo

Postby kwaka14 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 pm

SO managed to spare twenty minutes today and speak to the foreman at Nundah Mitsy about my surging issue, I was asked to bring the car in for a look so they could possibly diagnose WTF is going on.
We ran through some of the possible issues and I was given a very long spiel about the quality of fuel and the effects it may have on the car "basically steered away from Caltex diesel fuel as he said it has changed due to another additive the put in it which potentially plays havoc on the tritons fuel filter which in turn stuffs around the suction control valve and so on and so on.

Another comment was that there is potentially a re-flash and an upgrade that is designed to stop this behaviour in the cars as it may be some confusion between the engine speed and the transmission computer not working in sync as required and the gearbox torque converter potentially locking and unlocking up whilst driving at a certain speed and certain rev ranges.

All good and I suppose it could be either of the two I'm willing to let them go unless there is another idea out there that is better I would have a concern as to who would potentially be paying for all this looking into my car to then maybe not get the required outcome and to have the car just go back for more money. I would think that this would be a covered issue as the car has not even done 10,000 and never a hard day in its life. So if anyone has some input on how to tackle it that would be fantastic.

I spoke to mercury motorsport about the problem and they said they would help out it could be a tuning problem but I don't think it is as it did it several times before getting the Ecutek tune done on the car. Potentially one of the issues I have is getting the ECU re-flashed at the dealer to perhaps fix an issue with the way the ECU talks and receives information from the transmission computer then when I go to get the Ecutek tune re-done it re-writes the factory fix.

I need to know if the Ecutek tune deletes or over-writes ECU factory upgrades as I could just be going round in circles.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
kwaka14

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion