Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby biggibbo on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 am

I don't have this particular surging problem with my MN, however in the past week mine has developed a surge at 90-95 Kmh in fifth gear??? Pulled the Chipit out to see if that was the cause, however the problem remains. Turned the A/C off, same result. Car has just racked up 20,000K.

Any others having same prob, and does the Mits ECU update fix it??
biggibbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:41 am

Haven't tried mine at that speed as yet but it seems to be more a low rev thing. Will check over the weekend.

Aside from bunny hopping a bit on light acceleration when cold the main way to get mine happening seems to be keeping the revs steady and under 2000rpm on a light load - so a gentle hill, auto box in about 3rd and sitting anywhere between say 40 and 60kmh and you can feel and hear the throttle sort of pulsing (its got a rhythym to it) as if I was jabbing the pedal slightly instead of sitting steady. It must be pretty obvious as my wife was able to notice it and she's not real observant re car things (which is how I get away with most of my mods...).

If I gun it instead I don't notice it but I'm unsure if that's because it's busy making noise and going through the gears or because it only happens at low revs.

On second thoughts maybe I should go and have a doctor check to see if my leg is doing little spasms without me noticing. :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Okay so I dropped mine off at 9am with a new dealer. Chose them on the basis they were able to get me in a couple of days earlier than the next nearest. I wait. And wait.

I finally get a call just now (4-ish), 'ah mate we're going to need to keep that Triton of yours in overnight'.

Me, err no you're not I need to drive it somewhere tomorrow. Dealer 'oh mate look we can keep it driveable for you but we like to send them home with the foreman to drive to make sure we've got the whole problem because this surging can be tricky to fix' or words to similar effect.

I say well look I'm no mechanic or anything but I thought it might be the suction control valve. He says 'oh yeah maybe but Mitsubishi have released a new fix'. I say what the ECU reflash? He says 'no the latest fix is to replace the manifolds and that's a big job, it could take us 2 or 3 days'. :o :shock: :o :shock:

I say are you sure, that's a big call given the vehicle has only done 20,000 kms?

He says 'mate that's what Mitsubishi tells us to do to fix it, so that's what we do'.

Still a little surprised to be honest. Can this be the new manifold design that I've heard whispered about?

Cowboy Dave

Postby chaser on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 pm

They new manifold just locates the map sensor nipple pre egr same as they did on the ml. But mits have released a few ecu upgrades for the 4d56t of late so maybe just a upgrade is needed. I haven't replaced the intake manifold on a 2.5 yet, its a reasonably time consuming job to do tho. Tappets take the best part of the morning to do. Maybe try cleaning out the map sensor port it might be carboned up??? seen that a couple of times now but the latest upgrade seems to be helping the carbon issue...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby snowman on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:58 pm

chaser wrote:They new manifold just locates the map sensor nipple pre egr same as they did on the ml.

FAIL
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I think the term these days might be EPIC FAIL. Still waiting for a call from my dealer about collecting the truck. As they close at 5:30pm I am starting to think I'll be a pedestrian rather than a driver tonight :(

Cowboy Dave

Postby perko on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 pm

I've only done 1400ks on my 07/10 built 12/10 delivered MN. It surges when the cruise control is set between 2200 and 2300rpm on flat ground, feels like the turbo keeps spooling up and down and can't make it's mind up. Went in for the first service and the dealer "couldn't replicate it :? however updated the ECU which should fix it"... it didn't :evil: Will be very interesting if MML do replace the manifold.

Hope you got a lift home Cowboy :roll:
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Well I got my truck back and came home with a dose of the shits.

From wanting to replace the manifolds and keep the truck for days, I went to 'we couldn't replicate the problem' in the space of less than 2 hours.

I queried whether I should come back for the manifolds and was told they'd checked my engine number and with it being a 2010 model I should already have the new ones on there. Sounded like crap to me but what do I know?

Starting to wonder if the truth is that they didn't get time to have a look at it today and just wanted to keep it for tomorrow. Anyway as it turns out now I can't replicate the problem so I guess I just need to suck it and see.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dougyglxr on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm

ive just clicked 2000k since 22.12.10 and ive had no dramas with the engine at all.... :D
will try the cruise control tomorrow at those rpm's and see what happens, i seem to think i will be jumpin in this boat soon tho...... :evil:
hope the next model is a cut above the ml mn :oops:
" Love that car, Love this site"
My Toys....
Triton GLXR twin cab 2.5 mn MY11
Lancer SX sedan MY11
dougyglxr

Postby chaser on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I think from mid 09 the new manifold is fitted as i said i havent replaced 1 so there isnt that much of a issue with the manifolds as yet!
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby dougyglxr on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Can't test cruise control ATM Its flooded everywhere !!!!
" Love that car, Love this site"
My Toys....
Triton GLXR twin cab 2.5 mn MY11
Lancer SX sedan MY11
dougyglxr

Postby Banjora on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

MIne got serviced at the dealer and they replaced the suction control valve also. Too early to tell if the problem has been resolved but fingers crossed!!
Banjora

Postby helicopter7 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm

mangey33 wrote:Mine was doing the same thing and the dealer just replaced a suction control valve and she has been as good as gold since!!!

Hi mangey3

Ditto on all the responses here as mine is 8 months old [auto] and does the same thing.
Can you please let us all know exactly what suction control valve was replaced?

May be worth a try to see if this fixes the problem.

BTW, I am fairly certain mitsubishi cannot fix anything........unless its bleeding obvious or the diagnostic terminal points exactly to the problem. I have had an intermittent CEL since purchasing my MN. 5 trips to the dealer later, they have replaced the SCV twice, and on the last instance commented that they fixed the issue as [apparently] found a wire on the loom located under the top plastic engine cover that was rubbing against metal or something............ye right still got the CEL a week later.

2 Weeks ago took it in again, and diagnostic showed the error was again related with a low voltage to the SCV again. Obviously its not the SCV, then the only thing left is either the wiring to/from the SCV or the computer itself.

I said to them since it is so intermittent and at this rate of diagnostic progress it may take them 10 years to find it, the most logical step would be to re[lace the computer ans see if the CEL comes back on. I not then problem solved, but if it comes back on then clearly its the wiring.

Mitsubishi's response was that it cannot be the computer as they have never had one go faulty.......ye tell that to some poor sod who has no idea about electrical components. I have only been an electrical design engineer for 30 years so what do I know. :oops:

At the end of the day, the mechanic simply follow the diagnostic flow charts provided and if nothing shows up, then like a trained monkey just say well In the meantime come back when the CEL re appears.

mitsubishi are happy to sit back, do nothing because they don't want to expense a new computer.

Cars...............always some issue :lol:
helicopter7

Postby Mr Aquaman on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:27 pm

This may or may not be related as I have an ML....but I had the same symptoms after I had the inlet manifold changed (under warranty) due to carbon build-up. Part of the "fix" included a reflash that altered the egr valve opening & this caused a surge on part throttle openings at (from memory) about 1600 - 2000rpm. Mitsibushi said they were aware of the problem & were working on a solution. Long story short, in addition to the egr blanking plate I'd already installed on the exhaust side I blanked off the bottom plate under the egr valve & inserted a 3/16 size ball bearing in the vacuum line of the swirl/suction control valve. Problem fixed. Some owners of ML's with the same issues have stated the their dealer had also inserted a ball bearing in the vac line to stop the problem (unofficially of course).

I would try the ball bearing in the vac line - it will take all of 5 minutes to instal & cost about 70 cents.

Good luck
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

Postby gregned on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Ball bearing won't work as it's electronically controlled and isn't vacuum actuated
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby CairnsGSE on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm

I also spoke to dealer about low speed constant throttle surge , 1st gear light load . New manifold ordered and took the usual drop of at 8 and pick up at 4 time frame. Looking at it later I recon about 4 hours would do it . can't see why they would need to do valve adj. time will tell if its made a difference ,feals a bit better overall but the lag really gives me the shits ,it will not let you rev it over 3000rpm with it in gear and foot on clutch ,made me smash the tail light on the trailer in the drive
CairnsGSE

Postby jasduf on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:11 am

43000Ks and addd mine to the list of cold surging MNs, its bloody rythmic surges of around 100-200 rpm. Off to the stealer tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what they do.
jasduf

Postby jasduf on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Well I spoke to the dealer, not the one I bought it from, and they happily said they would fix the issue/s
Had the 45000K service on Friday and have to say I am impressed; all oils and fluids changed, filters changed and a couple of hotlines; one for the vacuum hose and one for the surge (ECU update) and the truck feels like new.

The engine is quieter, rear leafs quiet again and so is the clutch. Have to say the did a dam good job and no fuss, simply said they will fix it all, which they did.
jasduf

Postby TRITON73 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 pm

jasduf wrote:43000Ks and addd mine to the list of cold surging MNs, its bloody rythmic surges of around 100-200 rpm. Off to the stealer tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what they do.

Have the same surge problem with mine when cold. Spoke to the stealer and he informed me it's an issue with the ECU. Funny thing is it's not noticeable when I have the chipit chip and the blank in. Mine had the surge from the day I got it. If increase revs just above idle when cold, It hunts and bellows white smoke out the back. As I said before it's fine with the chip and blank in.
Apparently they are having issues with the ECU interface and are not able to update my ECU (sounds like a load of shit to me) will wait till next service.
TRITON73

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 am

The update software for surge when cold in MN 2.5 has still not yet been released, due out in the next month or so.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Any news on the update there Lee?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Racer on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 pm

I noticed this surging tonight on the way home from work. Mine is an early 09 3.2 ML, work is 2.5ks from home. I usually start it, idle for a short period then chug on home. Tonight it was quite obvious, around the 2000rpm mark it just surged up and down. When I pulled in the driveway I held the throttle steady all the way slowly rising and as soon as it hit 2000 mark it started to surge.

It has only done this once before around the 45K mark however I blamed dirty fuel from South Kempsey Caltex, it just ran like shit for that tank of juice..it currently has 52K on it....I usually try and give it a few hard revs when on the open road to blow out the cobwebs, it is quite common to see black smoke eminating from the exhaust for a short period....

So this time tonight the engine was cool however the last time it was warm and at normal operating temperature.
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby srb on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 am

You guy's have scared the crap out of me! I was getting keen to buy a new MN but now i just don't know. I need mine to be reliable for work.. going back and forth to the dealers 10 times a week doesn't sound like fun. I can't believe Mitsubishi haven't got a real fix yet? I've had a Toyota 3lt TDI for 11years and 200K and its never ever missed a beat. Why are so many of you having the same problem and no fix? :(
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 pm

They all have the problem mate - that is common rail diesels with EGR valves....all brands and models.

Your old bus is fine because it is old technology combined with no pollution control.

Diesels are very dirty burning engines and to clean them up to make them the poster boy "environmental option" they spruke, they have to choke themselves by re-burning sooty exhaust gases...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Racer on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Started mine up this morning and it drove normal. This leads me to think it may be a software/ecu problem?

As much as I bag the Rangers...them alongside the Pajeros, even the Rodeos...work cars...we put some hard KM's on and off road and they never miss or rattle as much as my Triton has since I have had it.

I find the Pajero to be a smoother engine than the Triton, why would that be?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion