Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Postby Themexican on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:51 am

I have had some problems with the surging and bunny hopping. It started when I got to 42000ks revving from about 1800rpm powering on. I have had a reflash, scv, map, fuel filter changed. I've had to steelers look at it (berwick and lilydale). No luck so far but one of the mechanics said that he believes that the Provent is the cause of it.

So the question is how many MN's are having this problem that have no mods(catch cans, chips ect)?

I'm only running the Provent 200. No chip.
Ute, Dog, Beer, Swag, Full tank, Dirt track..........
Themexican

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby Tony on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am

What a load of cobblers. The bloody PCV goes to the air box side of the turbo FFS :? Only harm it may case is a small amount of positive crank case pressure. It would be weeping oil or blowing the seals, dip stick out etc if blocked.

Take the provent off then take it back as the problem will still be there. :roll:

next they'll say it because your holding your face the wrong way. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 am

I had a bit of surging on the HC trip they gave it a reflash & it dissapeared
I found it to be lacking power after that & also a leaking manifold
I got that retensioned
Heaps better but not sure that it's as good as brand new
may be a bit of carbon in there
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 am

I had surging before my provent went in. Strangely though mine disappeared without any real intervention from the dealer. :? :? :?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Themexican on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 am

Looks like they might have found the problem this time. After 6 attempts
3 suction control valves and 2 different stealers. They finally picked up a wire that had rubbed through and was earthing out (so they say). It was some ware under the plastic engine cover (so they say).

Dose any one know of this happening on any other cars?
Ute, Dog, Beer, Swag, Full tank, Dirt track..........
Themexican

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 am

Themexican wrote:Looks like they might have found the problem this time. After 6 attempts
3 suction control valves and 2 different stealers. They finally picked up a wire that had rubbed through and was earthing out (so they say). It was some ware under the plastic engine cover (so they say).

Dose any one know of this happening on any other cars?

I had a similar issue some time back, the dealer never found it in my case either. :o It's very difficult for anyone to chase intermittent faults such as hidden wiring and poor plug connectivity. I'm my case, had to trace it one by one. :shock:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

MN surging

Postby dirtpilot72 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:32 pm

I have a 2010 MN. Its done 100,000 km and just started surging. It does it when under power but not at full throttle. I asked the dealer at the last service if the inlet manifold carbons up on this model and they insisted these dont. The car has been a bit of a lemon having 2 EGR valves, a airflow senser, solinoid on the turbo and finaly a turbo replaced. Anyone experience surging on their MN?
dirtpilot72

Re: MN surging

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Have a little search around mate. Plenty of info on this topic..

Top right tab. ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

MN surging

Postby biggibbo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:28 am

Take it to another dealer, they do carbon up. Try a search on MN surging.
biggibbo

Postby Tony on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 am

They can carbon up alright, the lower manifold. :roll: What they're telling you is, the MAP sensor port wont carbon up as has been moved pre EGR on the latter MN's. :roll: Rest is the same although during 2010 a software update was introduced to help combat the carbon issue apparently.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 am

There is a specific topic with the same name here with plenty of info. ;)
Let us know how you go with your dealer, they are telling porky pies regarding the carbon. :roll:

MN Surging
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dirtpilot72 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah i thought so, dealer has helpful but i guess its hard to admit its a bad design. Booking it in this week as its getting worse. Fuel consumpton has been higher too for the last 30k.
dirtpilot72

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks Geek for making the link easier to find. I should have surging permanently bookmarked. Unfortunately for me it comes and goes so the dealer can never replicate the problem :? :roll:

Cowboy Dave

Postby mike13 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Have a 09 MN,had the same problem new manifold,turbo,exhaust valves?? also a clutch it's done 75000km but going OK now
mike13

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Yikes - that's a lot of new-ness. Sounds like they kept replacing stuff until the problem went away. Wonder if one replacement would have fixed it if they'd picked the right one first?

Cowboy Dave

Postby bluey0_0 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:36 pm

if it makes u feel better my 2011 model is surging at 19,000kms.
After verbal abuse and swearing their 'gunna take a look tomorrow'

EDIT:
scrap that, turns out it was a ruined fuel filter. overflowing black soot.
runs like a dream now. after that '$170' fuel filter was replaced.
bluey0_0

Postby spargo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 pm

bluey0_0 wrote:if it makes u feel better my 2011 model is surging at 19,000kms.
After verbal abuse and swearing their 'gunna take a look tomorrow'

EDIT:
scrap that, turns out it was a ruined fuel filter. overflowing black soot.
runs like a dream now. after that '$170' fuel filter was replaced.

My 2008 ML 3.2L diesel auto (53,000K) is in the trusty hands of Newstead Mitsubishi to resolve what sounds like the same problem. Fuel consumption has been higher than normal, and at the 2-3 and 3-4 gear change it lacks power and just wont click over to the next gear without arguing, surging, and blowing black shit out the back.

Just been called and told it needs a fuel filter. Apparently it was replaced at 30,000 service, but needs a new one now. Sounds reasonable. Not under warranty apparently, and a cool $200 odd bucks plus fitting. [EDIT - TOTAL COST IS $204 SUPPLIED & FITTED]

Not happy really.. My car is quickly turning into a sinkhole for my dollars. Are Pajero's any better on general running costs? Might get one of them next time and just buy a cheap trailer.
Last edited by spargo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spargo

Postby Kegsy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:05 pm

The MN fuel filters are $82... Why are they charging $200 + fitting :shock: ...

I'd be complaining about that.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spargo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Kegsy wrote:The MN fuel filters are $82... Why are they charging $200 + fitting :shock: ...

I'd be complaining about that.

Got another call back - total cost is $204, inc parts and fit. Will edit original post. I clearly misheard, or they said the wrong thing.

All done. Pick up soon. Hoping its all resolved as I reckon it'd have buckleys of hauling our Camper Trailer given how it was behaving..
spargo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I imagine that cost might include the time taken to diagnose the problem? If so that's not a bad outcome money-wise given the range of things that can cause this sort of problem.

Cowboy Dave

Postby hvac guy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Does anybody know how many microns these filters are
Maybe a class action against the fuel companies for poor fuel.

And make them fit better filters at the pump.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bikeman on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Yesterday I had a problem with my MN, was travellng back from Vic to Qld towing a small off road van when on a hill outside of Kempsey I tried to accelaerate, the box wouldn't change down (auto) so I stabbed the accelerator a couple of time to encourage a change, the opposite happened it just died, managed to pull over, the engine light was on. Left it a couple of mins, it started sonded ok only didn't feel right, no boost? Pulled into the Mitzi dealer in Nambucca, mega helpfull guys and honest about the issues we all seem to get. i have the latest manifold that is supposed to help stop carbon build up, Supposed is the right word, also my MAP sensor is supposed to be carbon build up free due to its position, supposed right word again, it had blocked hence the probelms. The guys cleaned out the MAP port and did a upgrade and adjustment to the injectors via the port thingy. This was done on a walk in, no booking. These guys really seem to know their stuff and would recommend them. If my local dealer would be honest and as knoweledable as these guys I would be very happy, sadly not the case. It also seems no matter what we all do, provents, blanks etc, whilst we have such a low quality diesel in Australia this is not a problem that will go away.
bikeman

Postby srb on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Bikeman, glad you got it sorted and back on the road mate! Though it might be true we get some poor quality fuel now and then but it's not the poor fuel that causes the carbon build up problems. The carbon build up is from the crapy pollution control gear, (EGR) exhaust gas recirculation that is put strait into the intake manifold. Poor fuel would contribute to a certain extent but not the sole cause. Poor fuel can do other things to the fuel system so It would be wise to install a secondary 2 micron fuel filter, especially if you going outback. ;) If your interested in rid carbon build up for good then you should install an EGR blank plate. Heaps of info about it in here mate. :)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bikeman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 am

Srb, thanks for that, I spoke to the guys at the dealers about fitting a blanking plate, was told with the manifold I have it is a waste of time, the earlier manifolds apparently it did help. Any thoughts? Will definetly look into the micron fuel filter.
bikeman

Postby srb on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 am

bikeman wrote:Srb, thanks for that, I spoke to the guys at the dealers about fitting a blanking plate, was told with the manifold I have it is a waste of time, the earlier manifolds apparently it did help. Any thoughts? Will definetly look into the micron fuel filter.

Bikeman unfortunately thats usually the lame sorts of response that the dealers dish up. In reality though there is nothing different about the updated manifolds :roll: other than the sensors are located in a different spot and are less prone to being effected all while your manifolds are still slowly building up with engine choking carbon sludge. :evil: Blank plate is the only way to stop carbon. There is a wealth of first hand real life experience on this forum as well as a lot of crap talk :lol: But one thing is for 100% sure... You will not stop carbon build up any other way. There are a few that choose not to for what ever reason i.e. Lease or company vehicles or maybe just plain naive and some of those have never had a problems but it's something that will eventually creep up on them. It can be quite an expensive job to have the upper and lower manifolds removed for cleaning so I guess it just comes down to a personal preference. But you have been warned. Just do a search on ''carbon build up'' or ''surging'' and see from other experiences to make your decision. ;) Oh and it's not just a Triton thing, It happens to all new CR diesel engines that have this ERG system. :roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion