Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby Atude on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is experiencing any surging problems with their MN triton?
I have one that is just a few month old and when you accelerate it starts to surge like it is running out of fuel. It only tends to happen when the engine is not at its optimum running temperature as is seems to get better the longer you drive it.
I have taken it back to my local dealer and they seem to think that it is a soft ware problem, they checked the soft ware and they told me that it had the latest soft ware available.
I told them not to do any further testing as it seems to me that they don’t know what the problem is and I don’t want them to play around with it.
Is anyone having the same problem or got a solution.
Atude

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby Tony on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Mine did exactly this when they replaced the boost control solenoid and gave it the latest ECU flash.(Which aparently is supposed to hold the EGR open longer) We could hear an edic motor sound with the surge.(I suspect that huge lump that controls the EGR) Strangely it all went awy after 2000ks :?:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NitroGLXRin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 am

Yeh mine does this. Only when you back out of the driveway, put it in drive and when you start to take of it dies for 1/2 a second. I think its usually when the A/C is on too. the misses previous company car, Falcon 07 XT, did the exact same thing but would die for at lease 1 second before kicking back in. Not to worried about it as its only when cold, and nothing noticed anywhere else in the rev range.
NitroGLXRin

Postby patrolus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:01 am

hey mate!
i do get something similar when i take my mn (3000k's) around the corner to the shops, park it for 5 min, and then restart it (engine still cold) it will (sometimes only, not always) give me the bonanza ride and make me look like i can't drive. ;) when i had it in for the first service, the service manager told me that they are aware of the prob but have no solution just yet.
cheers, sash
patrolus

Postby NitroGLXRin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am

^^^^ :lol: mine isnt that bad, doubt anyone watching the car would notice it. :lol:
NitroGLXRin

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:03 pm

yeh just bought triton mn the other day, noticed a bit of a jolt as rolled down the hill but it went away, must be because it was cold, i will let it idle for a bit before i take off tomorow
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 pm

yeh just bought triton mn the other day, noticed a bit of a jolt as rolled down the hill but it went away, must be because it was cold, i will let it idle for a bit before i take off tomorow
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby TRIGLXR on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Mine does it when cold only
TRIGLXR

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Ok but if you let your truck idle before driving off do you have the problem
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:18 am

Yep mine does it as well, Mitsubishi have done an upgrade on the software but still waiting for it to arrive, then will be getting done asap.
Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby The Alberto on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 am

GLX-R MN wrote:Mine did exactly this when they replaced the boost control solenoid and gave it the latest ECU flash.(Which aparently is supposed to hold the EGR open longer) We could hear an edic motor sound with the surge.(I suspect that huge lump that controls the EGR) Strangely it all went awy after 2000ks :?:

Yeah mine did exactly the same as well - start it in the morning and the first 200m or so along our street in 1st gear was retarded - also completely went away after around 2,500k, perhaps just a new engine thing?? :?
The Alberto

Postby Hornet75 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Mine does it as well, though seems to be worse at night for some reason. Maybe cooler air. Even when its warm, it still does it. Mainly around 1500-1800rpm. When it goes in for its 15000km service, it will be on the list for them to fix.

Since I had a Chip-IT chip fitted, it seems to have made it slightly more noticable. Will be blanking off the EGR valve after the 15000km service, so will see how that goes.

Will let you all know as it won't be too long the way I clock up the milage :cry:

Bill
Hornet75

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Have had a heap of trouble with mine again this weekend wile in Sydney. It may be fuel related in my case. The dealer nor I cant find anything else wrong with it as yet. :(
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:35 pm

GLX-R MN wrote:Have had a heap of trouble with mine again this weekend wile in Sydney. It may be fuel related in my case. The dealer nor I cant find anything else wrong with it as yet. :(

Did you put the chip back in or is it running stock atm :?
sam

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 pm

sam wrote:
GLX-R MN wrote:Have had a heap of trouble with mine again this weekend wile in Sydney. It may be fuel related in my case. The dealer nor I cant find anything else wrong with it as yet. :(

Did you put the chip back in or is it running stock atm :?

No coment yet :lol: Dont want to start another debate :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Try a tank of good quality diesel, does it go away?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hornet75 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 pm

I try and use BP Ultimate where ever possible. Found the engine runs quieter and better fuel economy as well.

Still get the surging with or without it though.

Bill
Hornet75

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Is anyone still having this problem?

I had a similar experience for the first time this afternoon. The engine was cold and it didn't come back for the rest of the afternoon but it was quite disconcerting.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TRIGLXR on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:57 pm

My seems to do it when you start the engine and just start driving, If I let the car idle for about 30 seconds all is fine.

could it be the computer needs to run through a start up process?
TRIGLXR

Postby mangey33 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:06 am

Mine was doing the same thing and the dealer just replaced a suction control valve and she has been as good as gold since!!!
mangey33

Postby TRITON73 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Yep had the surge problem with mine. Always when cold. I put the chipit chip in and the problem went away. :D
TRITON73

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Tried the 30 second thing from above, for more like 3 minutes, still got the bouncing around when I pulled out of the driveway. It does seem a lot less noticeable once it's warm but throttle position just seems a bit variable even though my foot is nice and still.

Tried to book it in at the stealer today and they can't see it until Thursday next week :o :( :shock:

Contemplating whether to try other dealers or import an aftermarket SCV as I think scubapro is doing in another thread.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bogor on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 pm

I have a new MN, bought it in November 2010, I have not experienced this. Maybe I am just lucky :)
Currently got 2100 K's on the clock
Bogor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I've just clocked up 20,000 and had mine for a year. The problem has only just emerged this week though.

Having now looked at the workshop manual I won't be replacing the SCV myself. There is a process involving the MUT3 where the engine has to learn something or other to work properly with the new SCV once it's installed so that looks like a dealer only option to me.

Not sure if it is the same on the ML as I didn't look that up.

Mine is now booked in at another dealer on Monday so I'll post again about what transpires...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Banjora on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 am

My Triton is 12 months old, 28000kms and this has started to occur only this weeks. It has probably happened half a dozen times on the way to work in the morning, normally when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Have reported to the dealer and is booked in for service next week.

Trying a new dealer for the first time. Hope they are better than the last!
Banjora

Next

Return to General Discussion