Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby shortSteve on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:35 pm

mritchard wrote:I have same problem with 2009 turbo diesel manual. Had check engine light come on about 3 months ago with fault code for EGR valve so replaced it. I had the inlet manifold cleaned about 6 months ago and the extra power and fuel economy was amazing but now the surging has returned again. The surging happens only between 2000 - 2600 revs irrespective of load or what gear you are in. It's a pain. Due for 140,000 service and am thinking I'll have the SCV changed to see if this helps. Will advise. I've tried all sorts of fuel additives with no success! Normally use BP or United fuel. Haven't used Woolworths/Caltex as most mechanics advise against it. If I can't get it fixed (as this has been an ongoing problem) will probably have to fix it with another vehicle but can't sell a car with an obvious surging problem as it happens all the time whether cold or hot towing or not!

So, ok, sucks to hear, many of us have "been there, done that" and feel your pain.
So, starting at the top, does it have a new fuel filter? Next, is the MAF sensor (on airbox tube) cleaned with MAF sensor spray and making a good connection? Next, pull off MAP plug (rear of engine, pass side top near the firewall) and fuel rail plug (rear pass side very low, expect grazed knuckles lol) and give them a good clean with contact cleaner or the MAF sensor cleaner spray. Re-fit and check all connectors are tight/clipped properly. Problem still persists, try a lil fuel lubricant additive (or 2 stroke oil) in next tank. Now, if no improvement at all, maybe start looking at scv etc. I had an ongoing prob that ended up being just a dicky connector on fuel rail, mud will do that :)
Let us know what works/doesn't.

sS
shortSteve

Postby Dan13 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:29 am

So I have tried the 300ml dose of Castrol Activ 2T and cleaning the MAF sensor with CRC MAF Spray Cleaner. I have been on BP fuel for some time now. Still having issues with surging.

Where should I go from here? I'd appreciate the advise. If I cant fix this I'm going to look at selling the car, which I dont want to do.

Should I replace the SCV now?
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

pull the SCV out and give it a clean up -

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17316
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Just another "possible" cause "Dan". When was your fuel filter last changed....? ;)
The reason I ask is because I just had a look at the U-Tube video posted on page 12 that you said was the same as your symptoms and that doesn't look like the "surging" issue that I had, which was more akin to a complete throttle dead-spot upon takeoff from the lights, and intermittent dead-spots occurring under light throttle at 80Kms/Hr with an accompanying noticeable shuddering as a result in the drive-train ie, just like suddenly taking your foot rapidly onto and off the accelerator repeatedly.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwaka14 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:45 am

So back again,

Just had my 30,000K sevice done at City Mitsi Brisbane all good (plenty of DRAMAS but thats another thread)
So all is done and completed re-flashed ECU a part of the coolant upgrade recall thingo that was going around. I then swing by the boys at Mercury Motorsport to re-do my ECUTEK tune "noworries Ben bring her on in and we will sort it out"
Still all fine no worries 2 weeks later cruising the freeway 100km/h on cruise same bloody thing crests a small hill or gradient and the RPM shunts up from 2,000 to 2,100- 2,200 then flutters for a second and drops back (WTF). This continues for the rest of the trip as I have said it only does it when the engine seems to unload a little from the torque of cresting the road very frustrating as I have complained about this before they supposedly did the MN-13-006 to remedy it but that didnt work then I changed to BP ultimate and have not had the problem occur.
Now I havnt changed fuel its just had a service and I'm sick of dealing with the inept dealers not doing anything or at least working in conjunction with me to rectify the issues.
Is there anyone I can contact in relation to this from MM Australia to have a conversation with and discuss this or any know remedies for this as I'm sure as hell no the only one who has this problem.
My ute is a 2012-13 GLXR Auto with a Safari snorkel and a K&N filter with ECUTEK tune.
kwaka14

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 am

Can't go blaming the dealer when it's ecu software has been rewritten. Maybe need to keep it standard so mitsi can find the problem. If I were you I would be having the conversation with Mercury
biggibbo

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:15 am

Sounds like the Mitsui firmware adjustments are 'deeper' than the ECUTEK tune, maybe there's conflict between the two packages.

Could also simply be a plug or hose not refitted properly.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby YogiOz on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:30 am

Hi - have you had the SCV checked?
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby destorman on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:47 pm

kwaka14 wrote: ... cruising the freeway 100km/h on cruise ... crests a small hill or gradient and the RPM shunts up from 2,000 to 2,100- 2,200 then flutters for a second and drops back ... it only does it when the engine seems to unload a little from the torque of cresting the road ...

^^^^ THAT is exactly what our new 2015 MN Triton is doing. Exactly that ^^^

WTF?

And, yep, also been told the 'hotline fix' has been applied to the vehicle.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Stoneman on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Not sure if this is the same, my 2013 manual surges bad on cruise going down hill?

Tweaked the maf sensor connectors and got a slight improvement but came back just the same eventually
Stoneman

Postby destorman on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Morne23 wrote:G'day guys need a bit of help Iv just bought a 2015 my15 triton brand new which I love but driving it back home I was only getting 610Km on a 75L tank going at about 110km/h ...

That speed measured by the speedo or by GPS?

If by GPS, your speedo would have been reading say 116 - 118 kmh?

I've found sticking to the speed as measure by the speedo makes a HUGE difference to fuel economy.

Try, at all speed levels to stick exactly to the speed as measure by the speedo ... you'll find the fuel economy much better. I use cruise control to keep it steady. I sit on the speedo measured speed exactly in all speed zones, but particularly higher speeds like 80, 100 and 110 kmh.

Try it for a few tanks ... you'll be surprised.
destorman

Postby biggibbo on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:17 pm

At 110km in the speedo is only about 103km in reality. Anything over 2200 and they really chew the juice
biggibbo

Postby har05l on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

biggibbo wrote:Anything over 2200 and they really chew the juice

So this is my problem :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwaka14 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

destorman wrote:
kwaka14 wrote: ... cruising the freeway 100km/h on cruise ... crests a small hill or gradient and the RPM shunts up from 2,000 to 2,100- 2,200 then flutters for a second and drops back ... it only does it when the engine seems to unload a little from the torque of cresting the road ...

WTF?

Have you had any luck in discussing this with the dealer or MMA??? "and no biggibbo its not an issue with the ECUTEK tune as it has been in there since day dot and this problem has only come back with a recent re-flash due to the coolant issue"
kwaka14

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 am

If you got the ecutek tune put back on that should have written back over whatever the dealer reflash was.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm

ECUTEC may not be at fault, but neither is the dealer re-flash as ECUTEC writes over it. You have an underlying issue that will be exaggerated with tuning the engine. I see this happening a lot.

If at an end with this, the factory software best be reloaded to ECU then get the issue sorted under warranty.
You can't really expect a dealer to do this when ECU has been flashed or remapped.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Guys haven't read anything but the last couple of messages so don't shoot me if way off the mark but:
"cruising the freeway 100km/h on cruise ... crests a small hill or gradient and the RPM shunts up from 2,000 to 2,100- 2,200 then flutters for a second and drops back ... it only does it when the engine seems to unload a little from the torque of cresting the road ..."
Sounds like auto unlocking and then locking back up. All autos do it. Last auto I had was a commodore and used to pass the time watching the tacho as it went 4th locked, 4th open, 3rd open, 3rd locked as I hit a hill on the highway.
bodia

Postby alian on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:44 pm

It could be the converter locking in and out like Bodia has brought up. can the TCM be returned to change where it locks up and lets go. could be worth a go.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Something interesting is both the 200 series cruiser and the captiva autos don't lock up in the top gear until about 110 km/h. The 200 was rectified with a computer update but holden wont rectify and are instead giving anyone smart enough to notice a letter saying they will cover the gearbox out of warranty. Also makes the captiva more fuel efficient at 115 than 105 as the torque converter is no longer slipping making heat
bodia

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:56 pm

There is a switch you can buy aftermarket to manually lock it up. There is also a bloke on the Pajero forum who has been experimenting with the issue for various reasons. He was able to make up a gauge that would show him when it was locked and unlocked based on some voltage reading or other from memory.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kwaka14 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:35 am

Tony wrote:ECUTEC may not be at fault, but neither is the dealer re-flash as ECUTEC writes over it. You have an underlying issue that will be exaggerated with tuning the engine. I see this happening a lot.

If at an end with this, the factory software best be reloaded to ECU then get the issue sorted under warranty.
You can't really expect a dealer to do this when ECU has been flashed or remapped.

I'm not looking pointing the finger or any such thing I would like just like a better response from the dealer than just a simple shrug of the shoulders and the typical "it didnt do it whilst we drove it so therefore no problems"

My main concern is that the car did not do this before the coolant update and with the ECUTEK re-flash now it does
kwaka14

Postby destorman on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm

kwaka14 wrote:
destorman wrote:

WTF?

Have you had any luck in discussing this with the dealer or MMA??? "and no biggibbo its not an issue with the ECUTEK tune as it has been in there since day dot and this problem has only come back with a recent re-flash due to the coolant issue"

No "solution" yet ... BUT, dealer is working with me to find the solution. I've e-mailed them a heap of info off here re: SCV and MAF Sensor, etc all of which are to be fully investigated. We've agreed to keep the same service tech on the vehicle for consistency of communication. He just happens to have had holidays planned.
destorman

Postby destorman on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 pm

bodia wrote:Guys haven't read anything but the last couple of messages so don't shoot me if way off the mark but:
"cruising the freeway 100km/h on cruise ... crests a small hill or gradient and the RPM shunts up from 2,000 to 2,100- 2,200 then flutters for a second and drops back ... it only does it when the engine seems to unload a little from the torque of cresting the road ..."
Sounds like auto unlocking and then locking back up. All autos do it. Last auto I had was a commodore and used to pass the time watching the tacho as it went 4th locked, 4th open, 3rd open, 3rd locked as I hit a hill on the highway.

Mine is a Manual.
destorman

Postby kwaka14 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 pm

I have been in contact with Mercury Motorsport and they are more than happy to have a look but he has suggested I go to misty first where I services it and get them to do what's needed I.e. Re-flash ensure every update everything is loaded onto the Ecu. Mercury will then ensure all of their updates are included in their tune and then I will see if it's fixed. Unfortunately I just gave not had time from work to drop it off at Mitsubishi
kwaka14

Postby kwaka14 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:49 pm

And mine is an auto but it is not the auto locking up or unlocking as it would happen even when not on cruise control
kwaka14

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion