Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby destorman on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

G'day crew ... update time.

Our MN Triton went on yesterday for the 'software patch' to fix the surge issue.

And, well, it has worked to some extent. A lot less than previously, but, by no means fixed.

We have just clicked over 70,000kms and as I've posted here, it's had a surge under cruise control from new. It has developed to do it both uphill and outside cruise control, but uphill ad down. It actually got worse after the last service.

We've been holding out, hoping the software would fix it. But, nope.

So, now, the dealer has e-mailed mitsi tech support and we are waitng for a reply to know what is going to happen next.

Not happy. Don't know what to do. Starting looking at other options, value as a trade, etc. but ... it's all a hassle we can do without while my wife is undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby taxman74 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 am

What is the SCV? where is it and what does it look like, My triton started surging up hills.
taxman74

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am

The SCV is a valve controlled by the ECU used to control how much fuel the high pressure pump delivers to the common rail.

Its a small cylinder shaped unit about 30mm diameter, located on back of fuel pump.

If you can pull it apart, you can extend the life a few k but I found it causes problems eventually and replaced with new unit.

The SCV seems to be deemed to be a consumable item on common rail diesels. :(
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi all...
I recently had a full rebuild done on my 2011 mn. Everything new except fuel pump and injectors ( both out of a 2012 mn with 30 thou kms on it.. ) My issue is now i have a surging problem which wasnt evident prior to rebuild ( injectors and pump were used on old motor before diaster struck) which i relly dont know if they were playing up with the old motor.
Ive read all the thread regarding scv replacements and lubing etc but am wondrring if rpms spiked when surging occured... i dont lose power or drive and happens usually went engine hits temp. Its odd however as its usually about 40-60kms or 80-110kms. Rarely in between and inconsistent.. my mechanic mate threw the OBD over it and the code of P0638 was pending... we threw another TAC on and same result.. surging... should the replacement be "relearned"? i also replaced the scv and same result. MAP & MAF connectors cleaned.. new air filter.. have done 3 fuel filters ( as i had used Cost Effective in old motor) drained fuel tank and started totally new. Im at a loss.. i have no engine light indicated either and no further codes..
Any suggestions?
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 pm

triton097 wrote:Hi all...
I recently had a full rebuild done on my 2011 mn. Everything new except fuel pump and injectors ( both out of a 2012 mn with 30 thou kms on it.. ) My issue is now i have a surging problem which wasnt evident prior to rebuild ( injectors and pump were used on old motor before diaster struck) which i relly dont know if they were playing up with the old motor.
Ive read all the thread regarding scv replacements and lubing etc but am wondrring if rpms spiked when surging occured... i dont lose power or drive and happens usually went engine hits temp. Its odd however as its usually about 40-60kms or 80-110kms. Rarely in between and inconsistent.. my mechanic mate threw the OBD over it and the code of P0638 was pending... we threw another TAC on and same result.. surging... should the replacement be "relearned"? i also replaced the scv and same result. MAP & MAF connectors cleaned.. new air filter.. have done 3 fuel filters ( as i had used Cost Effective in old motor) drained fuel tank and started totally new. Im at a loss.. i have no engine light indicated either and no further codes..
Any suggestions?
w

Whats the story with the EGR is it blanked, blocked, Broken, stuck open or something.............
leonbee

Postby taxman74 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:25 pm

I replaced my SCV and it still surged I didn't know it had to be relearnt, Anyway my issues got worse but all sorted now. Relearn only cost $50 so you might as well get it done.
taxman74

Postby triton097 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:24 pm

leonbee wrote:
triton097 wrote:Hi all...
Any suggestions?
w

Whats the story with the EGR is it blanked, blocked, Broken, stuck open or something.............

Hi Leonbee.. no blank installed.
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:29 pm

taxman74 wrote:I replaced my SCV and it still surged I didn't know it had to be relearnt, Anyway my issues got worse but all sorted now. Relearn only cost $50 so you might as well get it done.

Gday Taxman

Yeah i replaced scv also.. to no avail. Had the relearn done also as there was a bit of new gear installed at rebuild.. issue still remains.. had a crank sensor code show, reset and no more... most recently (yesterday) coded up throttle control valve.. debating now about replacement or MAP... what other issues did you have mate?
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby taxman74 on Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

triton097 wrote:
taxman74 wrote:I replaced my SCV and it still surged I didn't know it had to be relearnt, Anyway my issues got worse but all sorted now. Relearn only cost $50 so you might as well get it done.

Gday Taxman

Yeah i replaced scv also.. to no avail. Had the relearn done also as there was a bit of new gear installed at rebuild.. issue still remains.. had a crank sensor code show, reset and no more... most recently (yesterday) coded up throttle control valve.. debating now about replacement or MAP... what other issues did you have mate?

After replacing the SCV i replaced the Fuel Filter then cleaned the MAP and MAF sensor as well as that sensor on the throttle body (Cant remember its name) Then the car started to misfire in the mornings all from injector 3 engine light stayed on, code came up P0203 - the problem was not the injector but the injector plug connector so they got cleaned and had some WD40 sprayed on them - error went after that. I really still don't know if my surge issue has stopped as I have not gone up hills or gunned it past 100km. But had the fuel pump relearned +SCV+ some other thing cant remember atm.
Other then surging and then the misfiring I had no other problems.
taxman74

Postby Foo on Sat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm

I had a surging problem with mine and they (dealer) told me it was a blocked fuel filter but I jacked up about that and they updated the software in it and that fixed it and got the lag to between 1000-1500rpm instead 1500-2000rpm as well and has made it much more drivable. ;)

Foo
Foo

Postby triton097 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:01 pm

taxman74 wrote:
triton097 wrote:

Gday Taxman

After replacing the SCV i replaced the Fuel Filter then cleaned the MAP and MAF sensor as well as that sensor on the throttle body (Cant remember its name) Then the car started to misfire in the mornings all from injector 3 engine light stayed on, code came up P0203 - the problem was not the injector but the injector plug connector so they got cleaned and had some WD40 sprayed on them - error went after that. I really still don't know if my surge issue has stopped as I have not gone up hills or gunned it past 100km. But had the fuel pump relearned +SCV+ some other thing cant remember atm.
Other then surging and then the misfiring I had no other problems.

Im currently debating a TAC (throttle actuator control) replacement at the moment... its really weird as it only does it under load.. will idle for hours and no issue.. the stealer reckoned it could be a wiring issue.. :shock: .. i dunno... hasn't thrown any more codes to date.. ran like a dream on thursday for over 100kms.. then on return trip was a real biatch.. Im not 100% its the TAC, really gives the symptoms of fuel but... at a loss ....still... :roll: :cry:
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi all,
Update to latest.. replaced MAP and thought my issues were gonski.. buuuuuuut.. i still got it... thenn.. i gets a P0219 code.. wtf? Im really really leaning towards fuel system now... so new lines i be thinking then another relearn and go again.... puzzling.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hahaha.. oh and the other thing is the rig just stops mid drive, however, no dash lights until clutched... pullover, starts immediately and away i go... bloody gremlins... :twisted: :twisted:
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:30 pm

If you're getting random errors from all over the shop, I'd be looking at where all these sensors come to a common point in the wiring loom. Probably a dodgy plug somewhere.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 pm

RHKTriton wrote:If you're getting random errors from all over the shop, I'd be looking at where all these sensors come to a common point in the wiring loom. Probably a dodgy plug somewhere.

Thanks RHK ... the stealer reckoned that it was most likely an electrical issue as they couldnt find it.. (put that down to a cop out) Havent had a lot of time at the minute to get under the bonnet and have a decent look.. maybe on the weekend.
I did consider purchasing another loom.. but when i seen it, it looked very detailed and a painful excercise particularly if it doesnt solve the issue..
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:23 am

Probably have to take vehicle apart to get access to most of the loom. :lol:

Have a look around areas where the loom might go over a sharp edge or where rodents could have a go.

Another quickie, check the negative leads at the various ground posts on the body, might have one broken off the lug.

Having seen the issues with the MAF plugs, SRS loom, etc, I'd still be leaning to a faulty/corroded plug/socket.

This vehicles are probably assembled in higher humidity than we experience. With our lower temps, moisture forming in the contacts of 'waterproof' plug/socket assemblies wouldn't be good long term.

For example, I was getting the Drivers side floor loom fault after nearly 8yrs. Normal practice is replacing the loom section. The wiring checked out fine, so some contact cleaner on the plugs, reassemble and clear fault, all back to normal.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton097 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:42 am

:lol: :lol: yes... that was my thinking too....
Didn't get to the job yet... but willl certainly be looking at the contact side of things.. have contact cleaned all the obvious ( and easy accessible.. ha ha) contact points. Will concentrate on the more difficult to get to ones saturday.. negative points sounds like a good start..

Did you have to do much to get to the drivers loom? I have same fault code showing and was advised by stealer full replacement...
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 am

Hey crew,

Haven't been on here much due to a few family issues, but just did a post update on the Tyres thread and while on here thought I'd do a quick update on this issue too

So, a FWIW FYI update ... after many, many phone calls and trips back to the dealer, arguments with MMA, and eventually our 2015 MN puffing black smoke as it surged like and old steam train, I shot video of is doing it an suddenly about 10,000km ago and 3 1/2 years of owing it, we got some serious action.

I think it was the threat of the video going on social media and to the today tonight / ACA type shows that finally got the action. Having said that, I do believe the dealer service manager (who I had a lot of one on one contact with) was truthful in that they, the dealer needed MMA and MM (japan) to do something about it as it was software related.

So, in the end, yes, it was software related. They loaded whatever Japan sent over and it sorted out the whole mess. No more surge under cruise control, no more surge going up n down hills. There is an even so slight faint hiccup as I call it still, but after wasting so much time going back to the dealer and getting so angry and worked up, etc. it's just not worth fighting of the last little, faint stumble it only gets on a few roads.

In the process, they had to do a full system clean, manifold and turbo lines etc ... they were full of the carbon build up soot (I have seen photos as the service tech took them for me as he was a genuine caring guy).

Hope this helps others find the solution.

NOTE - fuel economy has improved too, by a about 1l/100km (so back to getting mid 8's rather than mid to high 9's) and the engine is a lot smoother and a lot more quiet.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby triton097 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

destorman wrote:Hey crew,

Haven't been on here much due to a few family issues, but just did a post update on the Tyres thread and while on here thought I'd do a quick update on this issue too

So, a FWIW FYI update ... after many, many phone calls and trips back to the dealer, arguments with MMA, and eventually our 2015 MN puffing black smoke as it surged like and old steam train, I shot video of is doing it an suddenly about 10,000km ago and 3 1/2 years of owing it, we got some serious action.

I think it was the threat of the video going on social media and to the today tonight / ACA type shows that finally got the action. Having said that, I do believe the dealer service manager (who I had a lot of one on one contact with) was truthful in that they, the dealer needed MMA and MM (japan) to do something about it as it was software related.

So, in the end, yes, it was software related. They loaded whatever Japan sent over and it sorted out the whole mess. No more surge under cruise control, no more surge going up n down hills. There is an even so slight faint hiccup as I call it still, but after wasting so much time going back to the dealer and getting so angry and worked up, etc. it's just not worth fighting of the last little, faint stumble it only gets on a few roads.

In the process, they had to do a full system clean, manifold and turbo lines etc ... they were full of the carbon build up soot (I have seen photos as the service tech took them for me as he was a genuine caring guy).

Hope this helps others find the solution.

NOTE - fuel economy has improved too, by a about 1l/100km (so back to getting mid 8's rather than mid to high 9's) and the engine is a lot smoother and a lot more quiet.

Great result mate & good on you for fighting it all the way
triton097
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bill low on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Just thought i would share a few surgeing issues i have had over the years with my Mn triton. hope they help. Lucky for me mine have all been easy fixes.
Had and issue with lack of powerat speed over 60 and surging going up hills and take off at over 80km was real slow and would surge if i tried to sit on 110 on the highway. This was found to be the fuel filter had never been change 75k on the clock.
Had a surging or spluttering take off as well as running at lower speed with around 120k on the clock. Turns out it was the plug on the air intake sensor although plugged in had a loose connection. just pushed plug out and in several time and have never had an issue again.
Had slight surging with plumes of smoke out the back this time plug on the exhaust side was and issue i believe. around 200k on the clock.
bill low

Postby SABrewy on Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:40 am

Hi, I also have a recent Surging Problem with my 2010 MN Diesel after Service.

I got my 2010 MN Diesel Triton dual cab recently serviced and it has 90,000km and mainly got serviced around every 10,000km intervals from when we bought it New and was running smoothly before service with no hassles and got serviced and Fuel Filter was changed in that Service, I drove home-15 minutes and didn’t drive it for 2 days and when we did it had Intermittent Excessive Surging since.

So after Mitsubishi tested surging issue, apparently the SCV- Suction Control Valve is Faulty Now, So has anyone had this issue happen before, if so, why would if happen suddenly straight after a Service.

Thanks
SABrewy

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:40 am

If it's happened as a result of service work, you'd have to consider what components are disturbed.

Bad connection at the MAF sensor plug would be possible. Unplug, give the pins a slight twist and reinsert.

Check that the plugs on SCV & MAP are seated properly.

Only other suspects are the hoses on fuel filter may not be clamped properly.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SABrewy on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:22 am

RHKTriton wrote:If it's happened as a result of service work, you'd have to consider what components are disturbed.

Bad connection at the MAF sensor plug would be possible. Unplug, give the pins a slight twist and reinsert.

Check that the plugs on SCV & MAP are seated properly.

Only other suspects are the hoses on fuel filter may not be clamped properly.

When it started to Aggressively surge after service-15km drive and after sitting for 2 days,and did it for over a week until I had a look, I had a look on this Site and it said it could be-
1.Bad Fuel that has Blocked Fuel Filter.
2.Dirty MAF senser.
3. ECU needs flashing?
4.Inlet Tappets/Valves have been backed off.
So I contacted service manager and I said I could check the first 2, So I removed and had a look at Fuel filter that was just changed and was still clean, and still surged, so I removed MAF plug and reconnected and it didn't surge for about 600km and then started to surge slightly again, but not as intense as I was taking it back to the Mitsy dealer for other rework that they didn't do properly and when in there, they said after there test that the SCV is the culprit, is it possible that when they changed fuel filter at service that they accidently got some dirt etc in new fuel filter. and cause the SCV to Fail? And I said that I unplug/plugged MAF plug and they must think it was a Coincidence, so will be picking it up early this week and see how it goes and they are charging me for the new SCV and new fuel filter again, so not happy.
SABrewy

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 am

Hopefully you'll be right soon.

Just observing what goes on in dealer workshops over the years (when you could still go in there) nearly always left me shaking my head and deciding it was time to take over servicing.

Diesel systems are high precision gear that really should only be pulled apart in the cleanest environments.

Let them replace the SCV at their cost ( virtually admitted that they stuffed up).

Do the 2stroke regime. Since keeping up with regular dosing, I have found that the current SCV has provided the longest run without issues.

If you are stuck with dealer service, I would suggest you make sure the engine bay is spotless before dropping off your vehicle. Most likely they won't.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SABrewy on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 am

RHKTriton wrote:Hopefully you'll be right soon.

Just observing what goes on in dealer workshops over the years (when you could still go in there) nearly always left me shaking my head and deciding it was time to take over servicing.

Diesel systems are high precision gear that really should only be pulled apart in the cleanest environments.

Let them replace the SCV at their cost ( virtually admitted that they stuffed up).

Do the 2stroke regime. Since keeping up with regular dosing, I have found that the current SCV has provided the longest run without issues.

If you are stuck with dealer service, I would suggest you make sure the engine bay is spotless before dropping off your vehicle. Most likely they won't.

Thanks RHK. I've said to the Stealer that they must of accidently got some crap in new fuel filter when installing, as it happened after the service and they said it must be just a Coincidence the SCV failed just after service and are going to charge me a New SCV and Fuel Filter, as I was Suspicious from the start, so thats why Im asking around to see if this has happened to anyone else after a service that has included a fuel filter change and could happen.
So if they got crap in the new fuel filter, would that crap go straight to the SCV and cause it to intermittently stick?
I've asked them to keep old SCV and Im going to pull it apart to see what happened, when they rang me about this SCV problem, I didn't know anything about them, and was against the wall and had to agree to getting it fixed, so I went online after and quickly found out what SCV do and then went on here to find out more. If I knew what I know now, I would of pulled it apart myself, but thought I didn't know anything about them and would try to jam them if I got enough evidence afterwards. Thanks
SABrewy

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:34 am

The SCV is everything.

It's got the high pressure pump by the balls and determines how much fuel it can pump to the rail.

It's amazing what little contamination upsets these things. When you pull one apart, you'll see the evidence, which can be remediated in most cases.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion