Bent Chassis on my MN GRRRRRR

Anything Triton related

Re: Bent Chassis on my MN GRRRRRR

Postby Racer on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 pm

shotgun283 wrote:yeah thats a good point, the canters are a good vehicle and carry weight well. CFS is a govt dept so they will spend millions on something that wont do the job, decide later to fix it.

False Economy ? :lol:
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby sam on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm

TRITON73 wrote:I will start a new thread as soon as I can get the photo's taken, unfortunately at work now :(
Haven’t had any rain for the past 2 months and today it decides to pour. :? Not a bad thing for us in South W-WA :). Sorry to all who have been flood affected.

Where abouts are you TRITON 73 :? as we are near Busselton so you might be close enough so I could have a look . ;)

sam

Postby TRITON73 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 pm

"Where abouts are you TRITON 73 :? as we are near Busselton so you might be close enough so I could have a look . ;)"

Hi Sam
Not to far away-Australind. More than happy for you to take a look. ;) If your interested PM your phone number and we can work something out. :)
TRITON73

Postby Adam ace on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:39 pm

After reading thread my conclusion is heavier leaf springs (no bags) and load it within reason
Adam ace

Postby UAV on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 pm

I have also been thinking about chassis strengthening. I don't carry heavy loads. But after seeing the video where alcoholic's canopy looks like it's trying to jump of his car, then I would rather be safe than sorry. I already have dints on the cab from the tub.
UAV

Postby Kegsy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Don't suppose you've got / or could get the CAD file for the fish plates TRITON73?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Would the chassis strengthening have any effect on ride or handling?
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby UAV on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 pm

As far as I know. Generally with performance vehicles, stiffening or strengthening make the car handle better.
UAV

Postby Kegsy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

On these trucks it wouldn't make a difference that you could feel.

The type of vehicle that it is, you would roll it or understeer off the road before the stiffness increase would even become a factor IMO.

I've done fish plates on a few cars before, they have driven exactly the same as before the mod. From a performance point of view, a fish plate would only be used to reinforce the sidewall of the frame for suspension mounts for higher power applications. IE: Four-link installation or A-arm mounting.

If you wanted a stiffer chassis for handling, this mod would be the last thing to do.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TRITON73 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Kegsy wrote:Don't suppose you've got / or could get the CAD file for the fish plates TRITON73?

Sorry don't have a DRW for the plate.(doubt I can get one) I will try and post some picks tonight. The point of my exercise was to strengthen what I had. Not to increase GVM. As this would require engineering certificates and much higher cost. I did get signed documentation ensuring the work was done to Aust Stds AS.... and confirmed with my insurance company that I would still be covered.
(Sorry no paperwork in front of me at the moment for the AS number)
I feel no difference in the ride.
When it comes down to it I purchased the wrong vehicle for the off road van I bought, and have had to compensate by strengthening it. I didn't think of the consequence of towing 2t off road. Sorry Rat but you probably save me a bent chassis.
Cost wise it was less than an arb bull bar and if I had of removed the tub myself I could have saved 6 to $700 on the cost. For me it's piece of mind when traveling out back.
TRITON73

Postby TRITON73 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Having trouble working out how to post photo's so I have added a couple to my shed. Sorry people :oops: :roll: :(
TRITON73

Postby Sloth on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:11 am

Just helping Triton73 out ;)

Click to view larger picture
and
Click to view larger picture
He who dies with the most toys wins!
Sloth

Postby TRITON73 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 am

Cheers Sloth,
Will add a couple more if I work out the upload.
TRITON73

Postby ultimate on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:59 am

Try this link mate. It's a tutorial on posting photos

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2732
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby TRITON73 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 pm

ultimate wrote:Try this link mate. It's a tutorial on posting photos

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2732

Cheers will give it a go tonight.
TRITON73

Postby contact on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:48 am

amongst all the talk of airbags and bent chassis rails... has anyone compared the challenger chassis to the triton... it (obviously) has its sole load bearing point where an air bag would roughly be mounted. also i guess they are rated to carry less and have less rear overhang (especially in comparison to an MN), still curious
contact

Postby awill4x4 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:18 am

So are the plates welded on both sides of the chassis rail therefore sandwiching it or on the outside only?
Regards Andrew.
awill4x4

Postby Kegsy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 am

It should be plated both sides, exactly equal lengths each side.

At each end of the plate it should be tapered into a "V" or single angle top to bottom to get a weld along the length of the rail. The plate end shouldn't be welded 90 degree to the rail.

Other than that its a pretty easy affair.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:27 pm

UAV wrote:I have also been thinking about chassis strengthening. I don't carry heavy loads. But after seeing the video where alcoholic's canopy looks like it's trying to jump of his car, then I would rather be safe than sorry. I already have dints on the cab from the tub.

The chassis flexing as it was in that video of the Mt sugarloaf trip is nothing to be overly worried about IMO.....it is a ladder frame chassis and there is always going to be some degree of movement in it (although it is more than likely that there is a bit too much flex in the Triton chassis) I think my setup only highlights the problem because you can see the large sized canopy moving in comparison to the cab. It would be less noticeable if someone with a tub was doing the same thing........but it is still happening.............If there was no movement in the chassis and you were stuck somewhere like i was...........you are only going to snap the next weakest part arent you........it would be a never ending cycle.

The chassis bending issue that came up is a good warning for everyone............but there is no doubt it was overloaded..........and far too much weight hanging behind the rear wheels and right at the rear of the tub :idea:
I know i have my truck loaded up to near the GVM limit every single day of the week......but i am very mindful of how it is loaded and also shortened my tray to 1500mm long the day after i drove it home from the dealers for this very reason.
UAV...........you are certainly not going to bend your chassis when you are not even carrying heavy loads!! EVER......not off road or anything..........you will never do it. I would only look to get this chassis strenghening mod done if you were fully loaded with camping gear......an extended tow hitch and dual rear wheel carrriers towing a heavy camper trailer!!! Lets not forget the airbags............

My 2C worth.....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Kegsy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 pm

al coholic wrote:
UAV...........you are certainly not going to bend your chassis when you are not even carrying heavy loads!! EVER......not off road or anything..........you will never do it. I would only look to get this chassis strenghening mod done if you were fully loaded with camping gear......an extended tow hitch and dual rear wheel carrriers towing a heavy camper trailer!!! Lets not forget the airbags............

My 2C worth.....

Listen to Al. I used to do chassis building for a job. He's pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Your truck will not bend unless you bought the wrong vehicle in the first place IMO. If you're someone who loads the truck to GVM and tows a large van offroad, get the plates done.

If not, IMO you've got nothing to worry about.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks Kegsy ;) Good to know i do have my moments when i am not completly full of BS!!! :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby TRITON73 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Kegsy wrote:It should be plated both sides, exactly equal lengths each side.

At each end of the plate it should be tapered into a "V" or single angle top to bottom to get a weld along the length of the rail. The plate end shouldn't be welded 90 degree to the rail.

Other than that its a pretty easy affair.

Mine are plated on the outside only. The rest is as Kegsy said. "V" weld on end plate. No welds on the radius. Click to view larger picture
TRITON73

Postby hvac guy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

did u have stabliser bars on the camper and an off road hitch
using the bars would have caused the problem and same with a tow ball

please put my mind at ease :?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Currently in Busselton- I tried a MVS search and came up with nothing.

BTW- interested in your offroad van- what type?

nearly finished my trip, enjoyed Margret rivers finest today, and then heading back east. No troubles with the triton.

BUT- I will try and get a pic of the cab/canopy spacing before and after hooking up the van.
i.e just ball weight of the caravan.

I have been at full triton weight (when you include ball weight) the whole trip, but the van is 2 tonne (a bit under the towing weight)

Very keen to know how the MN handles the weight when towing as well- also looks like you still have the original tyres
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby TRITON73 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:45 pm

4wd26 wrote:Currently in Busselton- I tried a MVS search and came up with nothing.

BTW- interested in your offroad van- what type?

nearly finished my trip, enjoyed Margret rivers finest today, and then heading back east. No troubles with the triton.

BUT- I will try and get a pic of the cab/canopy spacing before and after hooking up the van.
i.e just ball weight of the caravan.

I have been at full triton weight (when you include ball weight) the whole trip, but the van is 2 tonne (a bit under the towing weight)

Very keen to know how the MN handles the weight when towing as well- also looks like you still have the original tyres

Busso - nice spot, close to home. Hope you had a chance to catch yourself a feed of crabs
MVS - modified vehicle systems.
They don't have a web site, from what I saw they had more than enough work to keep them going.
I was informed of these guys by Brunswick V8 diesel conversions

I bought a Kimberly Karavan (yes KK) for our trip next year. Wanted to put it through it's paces before heading off for 6 months. They hold their price so might sell at the end of the trip.

Glad you enjoyed a few drops of South West finest ;) even better to hear you've had no probs with the Tri

When up and running MN has no problem towing. Off road towing is fine as the independent suspension on the van works very well. Much better after ultimates suspension upgrade .I avoid sharp swerving on the black stuff as the weight of the van and the soft van suspension don't work in your favour. I believe the clutch will be first to go as It struggles on up hill take offs. Had it slip reversing up my drive with the van on :(
Original tyres have nearly done 30k don't think I will get another 10k out of them. Can't justify replacing them until needed.
TRITON73

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion