Bent Chassis on my MN GRRRRRR

Anything Triton related

Re: Bent Chassis on my MN GRRRRRR

Postby drover on Sat May 21, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Rats
This is a nasty thing to happen to anyone and I hope you do ok but I've seen a story much the same a couple of years ago with a bloke in a Holden Rodeo (last model before the Collardo)while on the Canning stock route he broke the chasis in front of the left spring hanger and the out come was not good.
1. The insurance company would NOT pay.
Reason = The tub back was replaced with a tray and air bags fitted without informing them.
2. GMH would NOT cover warranty.
Reason = Air bags are NOT part of their suspension and the tray was NOT GMH certified.

He took this case through consumer affairs but done no good. (Quote) "He failed to comply"
A lesson to us all "Read the fine print"
drover

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat May 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Why I stuck with factory tray and towbar. Annoying, true, and Yes, might have updated the suspension, but at least if anything craps itself due to the factory options, they can't blame anyone else.

Fitted poly airbags (red ones) inside my old Frontera springs. Excellent items.

Then fitted black airbags to my old man's Navara. Jesus, they be scary to see in use. Temperamental arses of things, leaked from fittings, and the pressure they put on the chassis....URK!
In the end, we upgraded extra leaves to factory springs, and he doesn't use the black airbags for anything but a little bit of levelling.

Have to give it to Brendan and the boys at Ultimate. Even towing my widdle offroad van, the factory suspension was pure shite. Sagged the back down, and wallowed all over the place like a drunken Anna Bligh.
Now, with the new suspension, and a pretty heavy ball mass, the back barely sags, and the ride is a million bucks better.
Best upgrade I ever did, that suspension package. Now, just need longer rear brake lines :lol:
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby griz066 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 pm

So how did this end up did Rat Patrol get it fixed under warranty or what was the outcome?????
Cheers <*)((((((><
griz066

Postby Steve9R on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:11 pm

who says Triton chassis' bend ??! :roll: :roll:

Click to view larger picture

Steve
Steve9R

Bent Chassis on my MN GRRRRRR

Postby mattz on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Click to view larger pictureI'll see your triton and raise you a hilux.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:33 pm

^^^^ :lol: :lol: I like it how both drivers have that crouched stance... its pretty obvious what happened! :lol:

Steve's pic was in the other thread, but now that its larger, you can see its loaded full of ice boxes and they must be full cause its the melted ice water you can see on the pavement behind the car :shock:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 pm

helicoptercow wrote:^^^^ :lol: :lol: I like it how both drivers have that crouched stance... its pretty obvious what happened! :lol:

Steve's pic was in the other thread, but now that its larger, you can see its loaded full of ice boxes and they must be full cause its the melted ice water you can see on the pavement behind the car :shock:

So, based upon 1.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m = 3.375 cubic metres of water and water being around 1 kilo per litre that blue ute had somewhere around a bouts maybe 3 tonne in it?

Yes?

(I realise water expands when frozen ;) )
GrahamB

Postby Naff on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah, would be 3 times more than there should be in it on that logic... bad decision.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 61rth on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 am

mattz wrote:Click to view larger pictureI'll see your triton and raise you a hilux.

Hey Mattz, is that photo from a book on Birdsville? Can't remember the Author, but it was a good read. True story about a journo form Sydney who went and lived in Birdsville for a year. They had to go out into the desert and recue this couple who had only just started an around Australia trip.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

Yeah it sure is 61rth, I've seen the book as well. A guy at work was reading it.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Well I've just finished reading the newtriton.net equivalent of 'War & Peace', and there was no happy ending.

Was Rat's ute fixed satisfactorily ? Have Mitsubishi re-engineered the chassis? Will my new MN have the potential to have the same problem?
Cage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:56 pm

It will have the potential to do precisely the same thing if you fit air bags and misuse them, hand a dual wheel carrier off the back or otherwise overload it, tow something heavy and then with all of the above drive it in some difficult country. But then the same is true of all dual cabs on the market really. It's about having an appreciation of the vehicle's limits and not modifying it to take it outside those limits.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cage on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Cheers Dave.

I'm more the under-stressing sort of a bloke than the over-stressing type so I should be fine.

My use will be to get into some places that a conventional vehicle can't go, and if I come across some nasty terrain I'll look for a way around it rather than see if I can break my ute trying to go through it.
Cage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:38 pm

They'll handle more nasty terrain than you'd expect. Have a look at the wheeny creek trip threads and you'll be like :o :shock: :o :shock: at where some of us take them. They're designed to flex in a particular way and they will flex plenty if you make them. But if you change the loading points with air bags and then weigh down the back more than they're meant to then you've introduced a whole new pivot point and you've changed the whole dynamics of the thing.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 am

Cage wrote:My use will be to get into some places that a conventional vehicle can't go, and if I come across some nasty terrain I'll look for a way around it rather than see if I can break my ute trying to go through it.

mate if that is your concern trust me you wont bend a chassis from hard terrain.

you will only bend it from an accident or a combination of the following; excessive overloading of the tray / over-inflated airbags / excessive ball weight / rear wheel carriers.

if you think hard terrain will bend it i can assure you you will have plenty of other damage to your car first.

Don't let this thread scare you off unless your plan is to carry excessive weight, in which case i would direct you away from ALL dual cabs.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby geoduck on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:16 am

snowman wrote:
Cage wrote:My use will be to get into some places that a conventional vehicle can't go, and if I come across some nasty terrain I'll look for a way around it rather than see if I can break my ute trying to go through it.

mate if that is your concern trust me you wont bend a chassis from hard terrain.

you will only bend it from an accident or a combination of the following; excessive overloading of the tray / over-inflated airbags / excessive ball weight / rear wheel carriers.

if you think hard terrain will bend it i can assure you you will have plenty of other damage to your car first.

Don't let this thread scare you off unless your plan is to carry excessive weight, in which case i would direct you away from ALL dual cabs.

:lol:
Sounds painful!
From what I've read its over loading the tray and causing the centre of gravity at the back to move from the factory settings.
geoduck

Postby Cage on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:27 am

@ CowboyDave.....Had a look at the Wheeny Creek thread. You guys sure pushed your utes to the max and although you all got through, it wasn't totally unscathed. Don't see me looking to do that sort of stuff unless it's some sort of an emergency, but it's nice to know what the Tritons are capable of.

@ snowman.........Thanks for the input. I've had Patrols and used them effectively when I was selling rural real estate years ago. It would seem that those who break their utes have far exceeded the intended parameters of the vehicle and also appear not to have had an understanding of good loading principles.

I've ordered my new GLX with the Ironman Protector Bull Bar and the factory tow bar (apparently not the best for clearance after reading various threads) and my only concern is that I've probably already lost 10-15mm of clearance. I asked the dealer about lift kits and the reply was "if if doesn't cause any associated problems it's OK". Very reassuring, not! I also got the dealer to fit a Safari snorkel and I went with the dealer fitted accessories because of the warranty and to maybe give me a bit more leverage if I do have any warranty problems.

Anyway should pick up my new toy this week and am counting the sleeps.
Cage

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 am

[quote="Cage
I've ordered my new GLX with the Ironman Protector Bull Bar and the factory tow bar (apparently not the best for clearance after reading various threads) and my only concern is that I've probably already lost 10-15mm of clearance. I asked the dealer about lift kits and the reply was "if if doesn't cause any associated problems it's OK". Very reassuring, not! I also got the dealer to fit a Safari snorkel and I went with the dealer fitted accessories because of the warranty and to maybe give me a bit more leverage if I do have any warranty problems.

Anyway should pick up my new toy this week and am counting the sleeps.[/quote]

The factory towbar kills the departure angle (already compromised) and I ended up changing mine to an ARB rear bar and gained a lot in the way of departure angle.

The factory rear protection bar is hopeless (not to mention ugly) and would be useless off road. You don't see many around and to put it kindly, only the uninformed would buy one...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am

geoduck wrote:From what I've read its over loading the tray and causing the centre of gravity at the back to move from the factory settings.

Not quite. You can move the centre of gravity and all you'll do is change the axle loadings. This excludes ridiculous gross overloading such as that blue club cab above. What breaks chassis is the introduction of an additional component such as air bags which do two things.

Firstly they put load on the chassis where it's not designed to be i.e. the top of the arch where the air bag mounting point is. The factory engineers intended the load to be on the chassis at the points where the leaf springs attach.

Secondly, once the air bag has fully compressed under load the chassis/leaf spring/air bag forms what is basically a truss (shaped like <|>) making that whole section solid and transferring the point of flex to just in front of the truss, which is where they invariably break.

Even in the most extreme four wheel driving a Triton which is not overloaded will not break the chassis because the chassis will flex the way it's designed to. Worst that will happen is some dents in the back of the cab where the tub has flexed up.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cage on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 am

Cheers Longranger1.

I actually saw an ARB rear bar for the first time yesterday and thought how much more practical it looked. It's sometimes hard to get a good handle on products from looking at them on the internet because I didn't realise that the tub protection was looped and not just a straight tube.

And yes, I'm uninformed, and probably the main reason why I joined this forum. Oh, and no offense taken either.
Cage

Postby geoduck on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:34 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
geoduck wrote:From what I've read its over loading the tray and causing the centre of gravity at the back to move from the factory settings.

Not quite. You can move the centre of gravity and all you'll do is change the axle loadings. This excludes ridiculous gross overloading such as that blue club cab above. What breaks chassis is the introduction of an additional component such as air bags which do two things.

Firstly they put load on the chassis where it's not designed to be i.e. the top of the arch where the air bag mounting point is. The factory engineers intended the load to be on the chassis at the points where the leaf springs attach.

Secondly, once the air bag has fully compressed under load the chassis/leaf spring/air bag forms what is basically a truss (shaped like <|>) making that whole section solid and transferring the point of flex to just in front of the truss, which is where they invariably break.

Even in the most extreme four wheel driving a Triton which is not overloaded will not break the chassis because the chassis will flex the way it's designed to. Worst that will happen is some dents in the back of the cab where the tub has flexed up.

Thanks for that, made it much clearer for me to understand, i can see how airbags can help coil springs if fitted inside the coil.
It does not seem to be something that is reported much here in the UK though.
geoduck

Postby WJD on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:23 pm

I have a 2009 MN dual cab with canopy, draw system, fridge set up etc - also wanting to carry another spare above canopy and tow a small van BUT concerned about chassis weakness.

Does anyone know of a reputable operator in and around Brisbane that can do mod certifiable fishplating to strengthen?

Any good guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers, Wayne
WJD

Postby GLX58 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Maybe slightly off topic but does anyone have pics of damage to the cab from chassis flex from extreme 4x4ing? interested to see what these 'badges of honour' :) look like?
GLX58

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Search "tub dents". Plenty of pics, mostly in older posts.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mrtuaniiex on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:17 pm

GLX58 wrote:Maybe slightly off topic but does anyone have pics of damage to the cab from chassis flex from extreme 4x4ing? interested to see what these 'badges of honour' :) look like?

Got cab damage from tub on my first outing in the triton :roll:
Was pretty annnoyed at first and considered PDR but like you said the other part of me wanted to keep these "badge of honour" 8-) :lol:
mrtuaniiex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion