ISOFIX car seats, help please

Anything Triton related

ISOFIX car seats, help please

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi All,
I'm interested if anyone has installed an ISOFix child seat to their ML triton. I know these are supposed to be ISO fix friendly, but there is only a bolt hole behind the left and right rear passenger seat. I currently have a plate bolted into the ISOFIX point that suites a strap/tether system that is mandatory in here. From looking at the Ricaro Polaric seat manual, they have a U shape attachment poking through the seat (rear facing child restraint).

Any pioneering Australians out there who have as much disregard for ADRs as I do? Or perhaps one of our European cousins knows what part I need? The European L200 must come with those parts already bolted in? Help please :)
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Re: ISOFIX car seats, help please

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

My last Subaru had ISO fix compatible rear seats. They had a little square plastic cover in the bottom of the backrest (not far above the buckles) which revealed a solid horizontal bar which I figured the child seats clipped into somehow. What I was seeing was the front part of a d-shaped fitting.

Image of the fitting appears here:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isofix

I can't remember seeing anything like that in my Triton though. They'd have to be built into the back of the seat frame or something wouldn't they?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks Coyboy, I'll have to invistage further. Perhaps the EU versions of the Triton differs. Apparently the earlier ISOFIX versions had those two achor points pictured, and newer (post 2006) have a single anchor point in the middle. I suspect the EU version L200 have an ISOFIX similar to what is pictured bolted behind the seat.
Jitsukablue

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Coy? Moi?

Some more interesting stuff here: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/child_safety/safety_standards.html

Seems the newer versions have a third fixing point behind the seat as well?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Lol, sorry. I quite like my typo Coyboy though :).
I'll keep you updated, I'll be ordering from CarSeat in Sweeden (without trying to breaching forum rules, Sweeden is .se). I couldn't live with myself if we were even in a crash and the little one broke his neck in a forward facing seat.

Non comercial link with more info http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/
The ISOFIX with top teather would be hard to detect as non-ADR compliant, and I would be happy to argue in court or cop a fine if my child is injured rather than dead.

EDIT - no ISOFIX in the Australian Triton, but for them to be sold in the EU they must have the ISO fix, I would be forever indebted if someone for the EU could let me know if you have ISO fix bars and if they are mounted to the bolts that hold the seat to the chasis, I'd love to know. Even better a part number :).
Jitsukablue

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 am

Isofix has not yet been recognized as meeting australian standards, although some cars come with the option it does not meet required spec, anything that meets aus standard must be stamped so i would not like to fit something like that especially with a precious child on board.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 am

Lee-thal wrote:Isofix has not yet been recognized as meeting australian standards,

At the risk of going of on a tangent, correct, but in this case Australian standards are lacking. The reason ISOfix doens't meet Australian standard is they/some don't have a top teather. Have you seen what happens to a forward facing car seat with a top teather in a crash? I know it's confronting for parents here who have their children in these seats, and upsetting they have been let down by ADR/AS, but it doesn't change the facts. If they don't get a spinal injury from the impact, they will certainly get head injuries from hitting the side of the vehicle, unless they are in the middle of the car (not possible in the Triton). We're talking low speed collisions here.

I've never been one to let Govenrment beurocracy get in the way of an informed choice :). It is sad we've moved from a society where the Government serves us, to one were we serve it.
'AS' do lead in some areas, I'd always buy an AS standard bike helmet. They point to other international standards in other cases (such as pressure vessels) where they know there is a better international standard. But when they get it wrong like they have with car seats, it's just wrong.
Jitsukablue

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 am

I dont disagree with you at all, Isofix seats definately provide a safer option, however Look at it from an insurance/legal point of view.

To modify child restraints it must be done by an approved person, well in QLd anyway. I would hate to modify to accomodate ISOFIX and then have something happen. Who knows where it would go from there.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Deeredriver on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:47 am

Now my truck's back from the local 'stealers' I can confirm the UK spec L200's do have ISO fixing points for mounting child seat's on the left and right sides of the rear seat. I'm surprised in the difference in the specs of the tritons/l200's around the world.
Deeredriver

Postby Jitsukablue on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:39 am

Belated thanks deerdriver...I ended up getting a non iso fix rear facing seat, as I couldn't find a supplier for the mounting part. Very happy with it. I'm happy to face the legal issues, better than facing funeral or medical costs associated with top tether seats.
We're getting an isofix seat as well for visiting Europe. So it'd be nice to get the bracket if anyone can help. .
Anyone in Europe know what the part number is? I spoke to a UK dealer who seemed to have invented the CYA approach. Wouldn't even give me the PN.
Jitsukablue

Postby stefanos on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 am

Is this looking for??? cod 76077??
Click to view larger picture
stefanos

Postby perko on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:49 am

Jitsukablue good call staying away from isofix in Aus. I agree it's a much better system than what we use, but if you get caught using it you will get prosecuted, :evil: a mate of mine bought an isofix seat back from the UK after living there, got pulled over at an RBT and found himself on the receiving end of a non compliance notice, had to get an RTA roadworthy inspection to get the car back on the road, and hundreds of dollars in fines. :roll:

Of course this is nothing compared to the manslaughter charge he would have faced if an accident had occurred, regardless of fault, because his child was in a non compliant restraint...sad but true. :?
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 am

moved to the rant thread....sorry peeps...all a bit heavy for a sunday morning. :oops:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby thebaton on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:33 am

Is anyone with isofix on the mn able to post up a photo of the system,is the image posted by stefanos it?

Would it be installable now that isofix is legal here , from parts? Would require engineering certification. I've a quote for around 1k to install with certification involving seat destructive testing followed by installation onto new seats. Might be able to avoid the destructive testing by providing the Mitsubishi parts
thebaton

Return to General Discussion