MN squeaky clutch. Anyone had this?

Anything Triton related

Re: MN squeaky clutch. Anyone had this?

Postby Bennys on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm

bboughton wrote:I had a squeek pushing clutch in in my MN. I took it to Zupps in Mitsubishi at Mt Gravat. They pull it apart and said water had got in the bell housing and caused rust on the pressure plate. They cleaned and lubricated it. It wasn't meant to be under warranty but they said Mitsu accepted it and covered the labour. Props to Zupps, first time I had dealt with them and they were great.

So my question is how do I stop water getting in?? I never drove through water more than 15-20cm and a stack of sticky mud with water in wheel tracks. Its impossible to not change gears while driving down gravel roads covered in water without changing gears.

I got ours booked into Eagers Newstead for same treatment. I have a feeling its just going to happen again though.
Bennys

Postby fraz91 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 pm

I've had the issue since i got the car. has been doing it for about 33,000kms now, stealer has never said anything about it to me (surely they have to have heard it while it's been idling in the workshop...) i asked them about it at the 15k service and they said it was normal. That being said, the day i got the car i got taken 4wding at Boat Harbour by a mates dad and shown some basic beach-driving stuff. Is there any possibility of getting MMAL to replace the clutch with a HD excedy one under warranty?

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby SmithyXRT on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Update: Now a hot fix for mitsubishi, mine just done. They remove the box and put different grease on clutch fork.
Anyone having this problem should contact ther dealer and get this sorted under warranty.
SmithyXRT

Postby SABrewy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Yeah, I have a 2010 MN Triton dual cab that I bought new and my clutch started squeaking on/off after about 5 yrs and its never been offroad or under water, it does it when engine is on/off when pushing down the pedal and when Mitsubishi had to take gearbox to fix 5th gear syncro, that had a look and could find anything serious wrong and greased the fork pivot and fixed it and after a few years it squeaked again intermittently and not long after they had to take gearbox out again to do a recall on clutchplate, so they checked inside and found nothing wrong and regreased the fork pivot and it fixed it, so it started squeaking a year or so after. I kept saying I've never had this problem with any of my previous cars and I thought maybe there is something inside thats not made properly like the clutch fork or where it pivots and causes it to squeak of out of alignment, but they said no, well there has to be a reason why it keeps happening, how hard is it to squirt some WD40 on the fork pivot, as its on the other side of box opening where slave cylinder is.
SABrewy

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 am

You probably don't want to do any squirting in there.

If you get any lube on the friction surfaces you will create a project.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:04 am

Yeah I probably wouldnt spray lube up in there. If you do happen to get oil on the friction surface it may ruin your clutch. Similar to what happen with mine due to oil from the main seal leaking.

It is what it is, mine has always squeaked on and off during the years. I'm replacing my clutch at the moment so I'll try putting grease with some graphite powder to see if that last better. But i'm not really phased if it decides to squeak again. It's just a commercial ute, mate.

As you can see from the pic, harsh enviroment to expect lubrication to be effective.Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SABrewy on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Mitsubishi might have to start installing grease nipples when manufactured on the outside bellhousing where the fork pivots are, so they can be lubed, lol, as I've always owned Ford Manual Vehicles for 35yrs and never had or heard this squeak issue with clutch before and this being my first Mitsubishi, very disappointing to happen after 4 years from new, and Mitsubishi had the box out twice in 1 year to rectify it and put abit of grease in there, and then happens again few years after and now its out of warranty, its very embarrassing when it squeaks out in public at carparks or sporting events, everyone looks, lucky I dont want to sell it at the moment, as who the hell is going to buy one of these when clutch squeaks, they would think that there is something seriously wrong with it and no one will buy these squeaky Tritons.
So why would these tritons squeak and not other brands, there has to be something wrong inside, like crap metal that when worn a bit, starts to squeak and/or something wears prematurely to cause it, or not made correctly, Not Good.
SABrewy

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:42 am

SABrewy wrote:So why would these tritons squeak and not other brands, there has to be something wrong inside, like crap metal that when worn a bit, starts to squeak and/or something wears prematurely to cause it, or not made correctly, Not Good.

The Squeaky clutch is Not common at all, and it can happen on any brand of car, and i have heard it on Rangers and Hiluxes.

Newer MQ/MR tritons have a different type of release bearing mechanism, moving over to a concentric type, which is kind of an industry standard now, less moving parts, cheaper to make, but harder to service, as if the slave unit goes faulty the gearbox has to come out. On your MN, its just bolted to the bellhousing.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Neighbours with a Landrover and another with transit cab chassis pissed the units off, largely due to that crappy clutch release mech. Idea looks ok but had solution in practice. Also bloody expensive I hear.

Re the squeaking, the supplier of my new clutch kit advised the tiniest smear of grease on the spline and generally keep lube outta there.

As I don't play submarine with my ride, I'm going to put a little dab of Molly grease on the main fork pivot on reassembly and see how that goes. My ml is over 12yrs old now, original clutch getting desperate for removal (271k), but has never squeaked.

Only reason I could see for squeaking is contamination getting past the boot on the fork.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Yeah mine gets a hard life, plenty of contaminants get up there. But there's a fairly good chance that mine wasn't lubricated when the clutch was last changed, wasn't me that did it last but it was squeaking after the first muddy weekend.

This time around I used a light smear of copper eze and graphite powder on all contact points. So far the operation is very smooth and silent, will have to see how long it last.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SABrewy on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:17 pm

SABrewy wrote:Yeah, I have a 2010 MN Triton dual cab that I bought new and my clutch started squeaking on/off after about 5 yrs and its never been offroad or under water, it does it when engine is on/off when pushing down the pedal and when Mitsubishi had to take gearbox to fix 5th gear syncro, that had a look and could find anything serious wrong and greased the fork pivot and fixed it and after a few years it squeaked again intermittently and not long after they had to take gearbox out again to do a recall on clutchplate, so they checked inside and found nothing wrong and regreased the fork pivot and it fixed it, so it started squeaking a year or so after. I kept saying I've never had this problem with any of my previous cars and I thought maybe there is something inside thats not made properly like the clutch fork or where it pivots and causes it to squeak of out of alignment, but they said no, well there has to be a reason why it keeps happening, how hard is it to squirt some WD40 on the fork pivot, as its on the other side of box opening where slave cylinder is.

Well I found out what the squeaking noise is from, as I took it back to dealership, so squeak was defiantly from a Very Worn clutch fork and the ball joint, the fork pivots on, when new, the manufacturer mustn't have put enough or the proper lube on it and it wore out prematurely after 4 yrs/40,000km and its never been off road/through water/dirt roads etc and they keep lubing it over the years and taken gearbox out to do it properly and squeak kept coming back over 1-2 yrs, so when it squeaks its virtually stuffed/worn out, so Dealership put a new fork/ball on there (and they had to pay for it, as they miss diagnosed it when it was under warranty) and it fixed it and if you had to do a quick lube fix there's not much room where fork comes out of bell housing and would need spray grease with 90 deg angle to spray into ball joint to temporally stop squeak, thats why they usually take box out to get proper grease in there like Kobre-Kote, but would be good if we could press and force some proper grease in there with fingers etc without taking box out as this will be an ongoing problem for most.
SABrewy

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:06 am

After my saga of replacing the clutch, I'm convinced a few strategic inspection holes around the bell housing could be useful. For cleaning and possibly lube application. The only problem is the chance of contaminating the clutch disc.

Best option would be to have gone auto from the start. Lol.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Triton14 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:36 am

RHKTriton wrote:After my saga of replacing the clutch, I'm convinced a few strategic inspection holes around the bell housing could be useful. For cleaning and possibly lube application. The only problem is the chance of contaminating the clutch disc.

Best option would be to have gone auto from the start. Lol.

You said it!

I have the noise to, even when the car is off, pushing the pedal in & out.
Mitsy took the box out under warranty, said they fixed the issue & 3 months later same deal.

I then took it to an independent mech who said it was an insufficiently greases fork ball, he said I can take the box out & re grease it for you for $800 :o
Then he said it wont affect the clutch operation & to replace the fork & ball at the time when the clutch needs changing.

Whats the bet that 3 months after that happens the thing will start squeaking again :roll:
Triton14

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:27 am

I reckon a diesel electric conversion kit would be a seller. Lisa the gearbox off and replace with electric motor. A turbo diesel gen kit under the bonnet along with a super capacitor for extra acceleration.

This would get rid of the problem section. Lol.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:06 pm

I wish I had a noisy clutch pedal at the moment.

Clutch all worked perfectly up to a few weeks ago. Trip in to town all good. On the way home I suddenly couldn't change gears as clutch not decoupling.

After much contemplation and bleeding the fluid, I cut a hole into the bell housing to view the edge of the fly wheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. Could see the pressure plate move and allow the clutch to be spun around freely with a scew driver. I took it for a run and all worked ok.

After having the vehicle sitting for a while the problem returned. A new slave cylinder has also failed to clear the problem.

Pissed off that clutch is 2yrs old with only 34k on it. I really don't want to pull out the g,box if it can be avoided.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion