Buying a Triton, Diesel or Petrol

Anything Triton related

Postby twinturbo007 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:13 am

HI all,
Im a new member, just being quoted for a April delivery Triton GLXR and haev to decide in the next couple of day to go petrol or diesel.

I have always had petrol cars and my last triton was petrol converted to gas but thought I should ask everyones opinion to see if turbo diesel offers more advantages. I do some towing and a few kms so any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any responses to my choice to be made.

Kind regards
Brenton

email brenton@posnav.com.au
twinturbo007

Postby judian3 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:35 am

I've just switched from petrol to diesel, having previously had a '97 Nissan Pathfinder Ti.

The diesel is a little noisier (the sound-prooofing isn't as good as in the Pathy), however the difference in fuel economy from the petrol V6 to the DiD is amazing. I've reduced my consumption by about 30%, both on and offroad.

So far very happy with the diesel after 4500 kms. :)
judian3

Postby Dallas on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:35 am

I have a petrol VR, but really would have liked a Diesel.

Main reasons for going petrol in my case :
1. Cost (already stretching the budget for the petrol VR)
2. Salary Packaging the fuel, and my wifes car also runs petrol 8-)
Dallas

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:44 am

In the Triton there is a clear difference in the 2 engines.
The v6 petrol is a older style and has bad consumption and power figures (compaired to others in this class of vehicle)

If you have decided on a Triton then the diesel is the only way to go.

If your looking for petrol then look at some of the other vehicles. (navara)

I keep coming back to the diesel triton though, even with the 20c/l price discrepancy.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby slotdownunder on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:48 am

I had never driven a diesel, except dad's 80 series LC slug, the only reason I test drove one was because that was all the dealer had in the yard at the time.I was plesently supprised as I did 80kph with 3 adults on board up Mt Ainslie in 5th and it was still pulling away!

IMHO in off roading situations the diesel just lets me use its low down torque and climbs over some pretty steep terrain better than a petrol engine ( I don't want to start an email war over this its just my opinion)

The better fuel economy goes without saying , I've got mine covered in just about every ARB accessory there is and I get 11.5L/100 around town, better when on the highway. I've put a 125Lt tank in and I could get pretty close to 1200k's. This may not be a concern with you but effects me if I want to travel outback and need this sort of capability.

Downsides are, as judian3 mentioned, its a bit more noisier, but mud tyres takes care of that :-) and a bit messy when filling the tank, I keep a rag handy to wipe my hands on so its not a real biggie.

My advice would be to go with the diesel AND consider the rear diff lock as well.

Cheers

Mal
slotdownunder

Postby andyj on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:22 am

hi and welcome to the site TT007
As above the diesel is slightly noisier but the fuel consumption really outweighs that, I tested mine with 5 up and no problems then went to NT with a 850kg trailer 5 people plus 350kg in the tub and pulled about 14L/100Kms.
I average about 9.5L/100Kms around town and to work. Wouldn't have touched a petrol, as for the mess of the diesel I have a pair of gloves under the drivers seat, or get the kids to fill it up.

Andy
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby dezman on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:19 am

I have a petrol glxr but would suggest getting the diesel as i'm not real happy with the fuel consumption, and the only reason i didn't get one was the price difference so if you can afford it go the diesel
dezman

Postby Dallas on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:46 am

dezman, I'm thinking of going dual fuel Petrol/LPG in the future.

I'm salary packing the car for the moment so my fuel costs much less (approx 40% less) anyway, but once my lease expires and I purchase the vehicle from the bank it becomes eligible for the LPG conversion rebate which should go along way toward paying for the conversion.

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/content/content.cfm?ObjectID=4F950433-C690-49A3-85D9F492D1A67BCB&L3Keyword=lpg%20vehicle%20scheme

From what I've dug up info wise so far, LPG will both improve low end torque, and return fuel economy better than a straight diesel motor.

Its not all doom and gloom 8-)
Dallas

Postby twinturbo007 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:55 am

OK, had to make a judgement call on the spot and theres nothing like a impetuous move every now and again. I rang my sales guy and said, OK, you have a deal, signing papers for this new car in the morning.

Now you guys are held responsible forever...hahaha

So, tell me what you think of my new purchase, not that I have it yet as its officially on order as you can imagine.

Heres the deal, I had a very abused Triton dual cab ute, 2wd petrol with lpg fitted. It has scratches and dents all over it and needs a new bonnet and guard where a scaffold fell on it from 6 metres in the air.
The car has done 130,000 hard kms and the engine is using a little oil but not too bad. The interior is very average (no carpet, basic model for tradies) due to normal wear and tear as a tradys ute but is it a great car still, yes, I love it regardless of the above.

So heres the deal and I would love to hear feedback on if this was a good move. I said yes and felt it was a pretty fair offering by the dealer....

Mitsubishi ML Triton GLX-R 2008 Plated
3.2 Turbo Diesel Manual dual cab RRP $44990
Sale Price $40,990
Fleet Discount $4900
Purchase price $35992
Dealer Delivery $495
Metallic paint $350
H/D Tow Bar $595
Diff Lock $695
Value exclusinve of gst $38127
Stamp duty $1320
registration and changeover $600
GST $3812.70
Total Vehicle price incudes gst $43859.70
Less Trade in $13859.70

Balance $30,000

Now I was pretty happy but maybe this is a pretty standard deal, I shopped my 2003 triton arond at a couple of other dealers and they were all $9K-$10K tops so these guys are being pretty good, I think...

Anyway, your feedback appreciated as I am just curious. I will love it and annoy the heck out of everyone on here regaridng mods and fitting screens, dvds, amps etc etc so get ready for my questions.

Great to be a part of a new group and look forward to getting to know members on the site.
regards

Brenton
twinturbo007

Postby sam on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:31 am

Sounds like a very good deal ;)
You get a lot of car for your money imho 8-)
sam

Postby dezman on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:12 am

Hey dallas, the only thing with LPG where bouts are they going to put the LPG tank, because i wouldn't want to loose space in the tray:-)
dezman

Postby Still-Lurking on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:21 am

That seems like a great deal - well done !
What's the fleet discount about ?

Does your company/boss/whatever buy a lot of cars or do you have an ABN ?

Still-Lurking

Postby twinturbo007 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am

HI Still Lurking,
I own a company that is not overly huge so I think it is just their basic fleet deal. The amazing part of the deal is the nearly $14k for my trade in, my old triton really has had the hardest life with dents all over it, needs a new guard and bonnet for sure, totalled by a scaffold.

So, very happy to make the change. I looked at both the SR-5 and the triton and and the triton just seemed the winner in so many ways, price was one of them for sure but features was a big one as well.

I have ordered a few ARB bits as well and you need to price them around as well, prices vary heaps.
regards
Brenton
twinturbo007

Return to General Discussion