Carting Trail Bike

Anything Triton related

Carting Trail Bike

Postby jueylea on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Does anyone have any idea what sort of weight you can load on the tail gate with it down and safely transport?? I know plenty seem to run with the gate down and trail bike loaded, rear wheel on the gate. None I have sen have been tritons though.
Looking through the manual it states at one point, do not weight the gate, whatever that means?
jueylea

Carting Trail Bike

Postby Austblue on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I'd guess that it'd have to be load rated but to be safe you could always get a length of channel to sit the bike on so the load is in the tray not on the gate.
Austblue

Carting Trail Bike

Postby dezman on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:39 pm

I load my motorbike in the back with the tailgate down, and i haven't had any problems yet
dezman

Carting Trail Bike

Postby Boxa on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 am

I have run a 600 Honda quad bike on it fine, only because I didnt have my trailer though.
My old hilux tailgate was load rated to 100kg. So I use that as my rule of thumb.
Boxa

Carting Trail Bike

Postby Mud16 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:42 am

I use to load my 250 on to the tail gate and had no problems
Mud16

Carting Trail Bike

Postby andyj on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:48 am

I had the MWF on mine and it didn't break ;) ;) ;)
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Carting Trail Bike

Postby jueylea on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 am

Hilux load rated at 100kg must be a good starting point, I better stop sitting on it at 140kg though.
I like the idea of running a channel, would certainly take a lot of load off the gate. Last thing I want is for the cables on the gate slipping from their crimped mount, gate dropping and smashing on the tow bar along with the poor bike?
For those interested who have the hard top, the tie down points at the front are poorly located for the tie downs from the bars of the bike. I have simply run a length of chain between the 2 points at the front. This allows you to hook onto the chain so that the tie downs clear the corners of the hard cover. You need to keep enough slack in the chain to allow it to come over the wheel or else you don't quite get a firm mount. Once you tie off the rear tyre to the rear tie points it goes nowhere.
jueylea

Carting Trail Bike

Postby High Country on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am

I cart various quads on mine with no hassles - both rear wheels sitting only on the tail-door..........

Not my prefered way of doing things, but somedays ya just gotta do what you've gotta do...........8-) 8-)
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Carting Trail Bike

Postby Mantis on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:39 pm

I have pics in my profile of my quad in the back of my Triton, even went 4WDing with it in there, makes for good fun when the trail ends for the Triton, just unload the quad and keep going....
Mantis

Carting Trail Bike

Postby Berg on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:08 pm

I've had 2 bikes on the back plenty of times with no problems, apart from being prone to stone chips when it's down. ;)
Berg

Return to General Discussion