front recovery points

Anything Triton related

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:31 am

Does anyone know if you can get these to suit the triton? The look to be a great improvement over the stock points that's for sure!

http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1629
Austblue

front recovery points

Postby High Country on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:34 am

Whats wrong with the one on the Triton's LHF chassis rail........?? Thats all I use, & intend to keep using........

Mostly though, I spend my time doing the recovering, so I just use the receiver hitch then,,,,
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 pm

I would have thought that having this one protruding out would make it more accessible and less likely to cause damage doing side pulls etc.??

I really need to stop browsing for things to buy I have a long enough shopping list already :(
Austblue

front recovery points

Postby High Country on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 am

Sidepulls.................???!!!!! Must be a Aussie thing.........!!
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:34 am

haha I might have made that up 8-)

I mean if you're getting snatched/winched from anywhere but straight in front
Austblue

front recovery points

Postby King Triton on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:13 am

Tried to look at the link but you need to be a member of the hilux site to see it.
King Triton

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 am

Austblue

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 am

Hi Guys.

I know there are some good threads about these, but it is hard to find pictures. I thought i'd add a thread and then write a short article pointing to the thread so you can see the pictures..

The recovery points come from K&N 4WD, 19 Catalano rd, Canning Vale WA. Ph: 08 9456 4470 kn4wd.com. They come in a pair and cost me $240 landed in QLD. They look like this (only you get 2!):

They are bolted on to the chassis on the outside of the existing winch points.

First locate and remove the plastic shroud that surrounds the exisiting winch point. With two screwdrivers, pry down the centre of the two plastic clips till they pop out about 10mm. Remove the clips. Remove three 12mm bolts and remove the shroud.

With the bolts provided, screw the yellow plate onto the exisiting threaded holes. The lager bolt (19mm) to the bottom hole and the smaller one (13mm) to the top hole. The plate is a tight fit over the existing loop and you might need to tap it into place but brute force works too!

Cut a slot in the front of the shroud with a Stanley knife to let it go back into position. After doing this, replace the shoud, insert the two plastic clips, press the centre in and replace the three bolts that hold it on.

Fit the tow hook to the holes on the front.

Place the hook on the inside so it is in line with the chassis so the pulling force is in line with the chassis rail. You are done!

So now you know how to do it, it will only take about 15 minutes a side. (I took a bit longer on the first side
Austblue

front recovery points

Postby King Triton on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 pm

are they the mounts (holes in the chasis) you use for the nudge bar?
If so what happens if you have a nudge bar?
King Triton

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Nah mate keep in mind that's for a hilux I have nfi where they'd mount on a triton which is why I was asking.

It wouldn't be difficult to take the nudge bar off for wheeling anyway and I don't think that running with a hook like that would be smart on the road you're not even supposed to have fishing rod mounts that protrude past the front of the bar.
Austblue

front recovery points

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:06 pm

The chassis stopps a fair way behind the bull bar (or bumper) so everything would be safe. (same as the factory hook) Indeed I would think you would only need one additionla hook (to "suplement" the factory hook to enable "twin" recovery points
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

front recovery points

Postby Austblue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 pm

You're right now that I look at that last pic again its further back then I thought.
Austblue

Return to General Discussion