Roof Bars/Racks: Rated Loads and Roof Mounted Tents

Anything Triton related

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:52 am

Here's one for the techno People. I have been looking at all the rated loads of "Canopy's" and their respective bars. I guess the same goes for the racks straight onto the roof also. Most are rated from what 50 - 90kiilos.

My Question is this. How does the math work out with the tent. Taking into account the Tent's weight and my weight. I'm over the rated weights on my own without the tent and if i was so lucky to have a female to climb in the tent with me, so what gives. Is there something I'm missing that you can go over the rated weights with the tents or ?
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby andyj on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:22 am

Depend on the size of the female as well

8-) 8-)
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Bubbalucci on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:25 am

i used a roof top tent on my navara rated at 90kg and im 126kg me mrs 60kg and two little kids didnt even cause a ripple
Bubbalucci

Postby corvetteguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:21 am

I have the Rhino racks with mine and they are rated to ninty kilios but they reckion as the wiat in directily on the mounting rails and not in the centre that they will take 3 times as much I have a roof top tent and me and the missua that weighs close to 250kg with out any problems
corvetteguy

Postby King Triton on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 am

I think if you have the tradesman rack setup on the ARB Canopy you carry alot more than that because the weight is on the ute tub not the roof.

Ask urshtnme he has the tradesman rack and i think he used to have the roof top tent.
King Triton

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:35 am

Cool.. Yeah seen Ursh's rig in the 4wd Action forums. Missed it here piccies were removed before I was able to log in property.

Sounds like that ya can do it. Still to decide on the canopy to get.. ARB seems the popular choice. But to me it just don't have the options standard that others do. Price is a bit of a sealer for me. I'll keep thinking and look at the 4wd show in Brissy next week. See what prices i can get.

Thanks guys.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:35 am

I think the roof load is for traveling (wind resistance etc) thats how they can get away with the static loads of the roof top tent
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am

The load capacity for roof racks it the maximum allowed while the vehicle is in motion.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Mantis on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:12 pm

PM Urshtnme, and also check out his penthouse on top of his ARB canopy in his profile, he'll be able to fill you in with all the info you need..

Also I'm pretty sure his tent is for sale, think he was after $1500, or something like that..

Cheers, Shane.
Mantis

Return to General Discussion