(Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Anything Triton related

Re: (Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks I will check it out, did read somewhere about making sure you have goggles on before disconnecting the two hoses from the fuel tank.
rogjil

Postby mattz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Sorry......I forgot to post the link. :oops: :roll: :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks found a couple of threads about 2 stroke oil
rogjil

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Surely it will be useless for another car having been mixed with whatever diesel was already in the tank? Or are petrols more forgiving with tainted fuel? You can buy a little 12v pump and stick it on one the fuel hoses under the bonnet. I reckon that might be a bit easier than dropping the whole tank?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Not sure but, 75l tank, not sure that you would be too worried about accidentally putting 10l of diesel in a petrol tank.
CD sounds like a good idea I will be checking out the options in the morning
rogjil

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I had a peugout 207 in my shop during the week, same thing filled it full of unleaded and didn't start it, I would find a means of draining the tank (removal or other), FILL it with diesel from jerry cans and then keep no less than 3/4 tank in it for a while, that should be enough to dilute whatever petrol is in there to such an insignificant amount that you should be fine.
GLRkenny

Postby salt36 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I think the same as Kenny,

If you pump it out then there should be less than 4-5 Litres left...

How many litres of petrol was poured in ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:27 pm

65l of unleaded went in
rogjil

(Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Postby mattz on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:43 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Surely it will be useless for another car having been mixed with whatever diesel was already in the tank? Or are petrols more forgiving with tainted fuel? You can buy a little 12v pump and stick it on one the fuel hoses under the bonnet. I reckon that might be a bit easier than dropping the whole tank?

Petrol engines are more forgiving to tainted fuel.
If you fueled up a petrol car with diesel and started it it would either run crap or not at all, depending how much petrol was left in the tank. But it won't stuff the engine like if the opposite occurred. You'd just drain it, refill it and be on your way.
With so much petrol and so little diesel in the tank, in this situation, the petrol car that you put the mix in will probably only run a little rough and maybe a little smokey. If it was going into my petrol vehicle, I'd keep topping it up every 1/4 or so to keep diluting it even more

Great idea with the 12v pump. 8-)
If it was mine, I'd still drop the tank anyway, to get as much out as possible. Just for peace of mind. It would probably be ok if you don't but in the back of my mind I'd still be thinking about it. :roll: maybe that's just me. :lol:
The most important area to remove the petrol from is around the engine area.
Fuel filter, injector pump,fuel lines etc.
As someone mentioned earlier, compressed air would be great for that.

Is the wife still getting a Christmas present? :lol:
At least she did the right thing once she realised.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby rogjil on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for all the advice above.

Today dropped the tank out, flushed it, drained the fuel lines as much as i could using a self priming pump.
Then put the tank back and filled it with some diesel. Removed the fuel filter and connected the pump up too the fuel supply house and pumped a few litres through from the tank. Installed a new fuel filter. Couple of trips to the servo with jerry cans and now with a full tank of fuel, turned the key and happy days I hope.

Mattz yeah she still received her Christmas present, didn't get upset about it. Might be me next time
rogjil

Postby mattz on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Glad it's all sorted. 8-)
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby fridgie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am

Good outcome in the end 8-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Froggy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:00 am

Key is not to start it.
I told this to one of the sales execs who rang me at the bowser when he misfueled the work vehicle.
But what would I know and he started it & drove it away from the pumps :roll:
Froggy

Postby rogjil on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 am

Froggy wrote:Key is not to start it.
I told this to one of the sales execs who rang me at the bowser when he misfueled the work vehicle.
But what would I know and he started it & drove it away from the pumps :roll:

Yeah she didn't make any friends at the servo after I told her to not even put the key in the ignition until I managed to get there. The servo was annoyed because the triton took up 3 car parks, just lucky it was slightly downhill from the bowser and she managed to roll it to where the car parks where with the steering lock on.

The towie was annoyed because he arrived before I did, and told her "i will just F...en drag it on and F... your tyres" :evil: :evil:

But she stuck to the no key in the ignition. :D :D :D
rogjil

Postby chilly300 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm

rogjil wrote:65l of unleaded went in

I did this about a month ago in Benalla. A full tank of unleaded into a nearly empty diesel tank. Drove for about 300m when a cough happened and then the dreaded realisation kicked in...F$?k. Short tow to a great diesel mechanic who dropped the tank, flushed the lines and changed the filter. Somehow it worked and it hasn't missed a beat since. Thanking my lucky stars. Does anyone know if dealerships can investigate and identify that this has happened???? ..
chilly300

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Only if you post about it for the whole world to read on a forum inhabited by about a dozen different Mitsubishi staff of one kind or another on a regular basis...

Cowboy Dave

Postby jrs184 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 am

MY 2006 Ml has a drain plug but is not at the lowest point of the tank...when I drained my tank I jacked the car up to get the max out then flushed a few times with the plug in then out with some diesel, also primed the line at the filter a few times to make sure nothing had gone up to the filter (new filter and lucky not to have turned the ignition on) I don't know about if the key fob starts the fuel pump when unlocking the doors on this model, I can hear the pump when the ignition is on. I told the servo about how they colour coded their ULP pumps with bright orange stickers (the diesel colour) and they just didn't want to know...btw I kept the mixed fuel and put some in glass jars see if it separates but the petrol mixes completely with the diesel so I use it as a bonfire starter so it is not wasted.....I now also use the 2T FASO FC 2T with positive results, quieter and smoother running...
jrs184

Help, petrol in diesel triton

Postby mickkk on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I have a mate who has just filled up his tank with unleaded fuel. It's a 2.5 l diesel. Spoke with a mate who said to get a 12 v fuel pump and pump it all out via where the fuel filter. Then put 10 l of diesel in and go again. New filters and hope for the best. He has driven 15 kms.

Any one have a 12v fuel pump in Darwin. Or any other way to do it. Want to try to get him back on the road before work tomorrow.
Also can anyone tell me if a ml 3.2 fuel filter is the same as a 2.5 l mn?
Is there anything else we should do.
Cheers Mickey
mickkk

Re: Help, petrol in diesel triton

Postby gra11 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Go underneath find the drain plug for the tank and empty it. Put some diesel in the tank and a little 2 stroke oil then empty the fuel filters put them back on and bleed the system. It may smoke for the first bit of diesel going through it but after that will be fine.

The oil helps whatever petrol is in the system to burn with the lubricant that the diesel already has in it. Only need a couple of hundred ml to 10l of diesel.
gra11

Postby gra11 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Go underneath find the drain plug for the tank and empty it. Put some diesel in the tank and a little 2 stroke oil then empty the fuel filters put them back on and bleed the system. It may smoke for the first bit of diesel going through it but after that will be fine.

The oil helps whatever petrol is in the system to burn with the lubricant that the diesel already has in it. Only need a couple of hundred ml to 10l of diesel.
gra11

Postby shaggy on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Not the 1st to do this
Heaps of info here
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9660&p=434902&hilit=Victim#p434902
shaggy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 pm

you gotta drop the tank, no drain plug :|
kwyjibo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Filters are the same from memory. I think it's only the oil filters that differ. Dropping the tank is the most thorough way to do it. Sounds like the mate with the advice is saying drain it as low as you can, mix with diesel and drain it again and so on. If you connect the pump to the fuel line that goes to the pickup you should be able to get it pretty close to empty I would have thought.

Cowboy Dave

Postby leonbee on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:53 pm

:o Just put petrol in my MY15. Tired after a hard days work stopped in to get the good stuff BP Ultimate. Pulled up next to the bowser and grabbed the ultimate nozzel. Drove 2 Km and the truck coughed, I turned the engine off and rolled to the side of the road. Pulled the docket out of the glove box and #$%$# Ultimate unleaded. Went into a shop to go to the toilet while waiting for Mitsubishi road side assist. When I got back I had a ticket for parking in a no stopping zone. Tow truck arrives 2 hrs latter and taken to Mitsubishi dealer.

I was warned the fuel pump may be damaged. I lost $100 worth of fuel. Dealer was $600 to empty tank and replace fuel filter. Luckly no damage and the truck runs perfectly if not better. I had slight surging at 100k which is now gone, may have cleaned out dirty injector?. I was told my Warrant is not effected. I was told not to add anything and 2T will void my warranty and clog my fuel filter. :(

BP has Ultimate Diesel and Ultimate Unleaded. If it was worded Diesel ultimate and Unleaded ultimate, it may not have happened. No more ultimate for me. I will only use a separate bowser with Diesel on it just in case I have another micro sleep.

BEWARE: I heard about it, read about it, laughed about it, did not think I would do it :oops:
leonbee

Postby deermaster on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Done this myself on an old 2.8Hilux glad it wasn't a common rail diesel as I would never have started it. I drove home with 20litres of petrol and forty of diesel. Syphoned as much as I could out and then filled with diesel and it ran like a clock and went even better than before. It went that well I slowly used the whole lot that I had syphoned out putting small amounts in each fill. Those older diesels it probably wouldn't hurt, but if I did that to my Triton, I would be draining it before ever starting. That old Hilux truck did another 200000ks and its still going well with the bloke who brought it. :D
deermaster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion