Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Anything Triton related

Re: Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Postby Jaymac92 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Gday all, new to the forum and am in the process of purchasing a brand new GL-R dual cab manual, and must say I am really glad I read this particular topic! I'm coming from an 03 D22 Navara 3.0L with all the goodies you can imagine, and the only reason I'm upgrading is due to lack of leg room. I was hesitant to buy a Triton as I had no idea about their history but reading this has set my nerves at ease. I plan on doing lots of touring with her and some off roading. Hope to see some of you fellas out and about sometime.

Jarryd
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby MickFodor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:40 am

Jaymac92 wrote:Gday all, new to the forum and am in the process of purchasing a brand new GL-R dual cab manual, and must say I am really glad I read this particular topic! I'm coming from an 03 D22 Navara 3.0L with all the goodies you can imagine, and the only reason I'm upgrading is due to lack of leg room. I was hesitant to buy a Triton as I had no idea about their history but reading this has set my nerves at ease. I plan on doing lots of touring with her and some off roading. Hope to see some of you fellas out and about sometime.

Jarryd

Want a second hand one?? All highway k's... promise :lol:
Seriously though, couldn't recommend them any higher...
That being said, if anyone sees it on the side of the road, the drivers name is Pete...
He's a top bloke, help him out if you can :-D
Cheers fellas
MickFodor

Postby MickFodor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:44 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:That's pretty good going. Surprised the springs etc have lasted that long.

Me too actually... Although I think they have been pretty worn for a while now but just putting it off and getting the most out of them... The drivers seats a bit crook too... The driver is a big fella and he has ummmm.... "ironed it out" a bit... :lol:
MickFodor

Postby Jaymac92 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 am

MickFodor wrote:
Jaymac92 wrote:Gday all, new to the forum and am in the process of purchasing a brand new GL-R dual cab manual, and must say I am really glad I read this particular topic! I'm coming from an 03 D22 Navara 3.0L with all the goodies you can imagine, and the only reason I'm upgrading is due to lack of leg room. I was hesitant to buy a Triton as I had no idea about their history but reading this has set my nerves at ease. I plan on doing lots of touring with her and some off roading. Hope to see some of you fellas out and about sometime.

Jarryd

Want a second hand one?? All highway k's... promise :lol:
Seriously though, couldn't recommend them any higher...
That being said, if anyone sees it on the side of the road, the drivers name is Pete...
He's a top bloke, help him out if you can :-D
Cheers fellas

Haha I'll be right mate, but thanks anyway haha ;) can't wait to get my new toy haha
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby koshari on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:10 am

Tony wrote: New MY12 has done away with diff actuator

Can you tell me what they replsced it with?
koshari

Postby Jaymac92 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm

MickFodor wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:That's pretty good going. Surprised the springs etc have lasted that long.

Me too actually... Although I think they have been pretty worn for a while now but just putting it off and getting the most out of them... The drivers seats a bit crook too... The driver is a big fella and he has ummmm.... "ironed it out" a bit... :lol:

Any updates on how the triton is going of late buddy?
Jaymac92

Postby westoz on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:40 am

G'day Mick - awesome topic mate - how many km now?

i'm in the process of buying a triton at the moment and it will literally spend about 50% of it's time on rough corrugated beach tracks so it's good to see they'll hold up to some abuse.

Very interesting there was no mention of any surging or loss of power or any other issues associated with the EGR circulation in 250,000km. Anyone else think of this? this is meant to be the biggest major issue with the triton as far as i can figure out but Mick doesn't mention it at all.
westoz

Postby snowman on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 pm

westoz wrote:G'day Mick - awesome topic mate - how many km now?

i'm in the process of buying a triton at the moment and it will literally spend about 50% of it's time on rough corrugated beach tracks so it's good to see they'll hold up to some abuse.

Very interesting there was no mention of any surging or loss of power or any other issues associated with the EGR circulation in 250,000km. Anyone else think of this? this is meant to be the biggest major issue with the triton as far as i can figure out but Mick doesn't mention it at all.

tony may be the best to answer this but i believe the EGR recir is at low or no throttle percentage. Therefore long high speed distances with reasonable throttle percentages will not see a lot of open EGR / klm.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

And to add to that the engine is at temp alot more as well.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 pm

I've also been told that at highway speeds the ecu will periodically run the engine a bit hot to help burn off some of the crap. I've never been able to ascertain if that was true or not - it didn't seem likely but then I've noticed that sometimes my engine temps rise for no apparent reason while highway cruising so I've not been prepared to disbelieve the whole thing just yet.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby westoz on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:57 pm

hmmm....

I'm sure i read in a post somewhere on here that the EGR valve opens on long stretches / mid throttle but i could be wrong. It took me hours to find so i'm not going to attempt to find it again.

In any case Mick's experience seems to be a case in point for highway km = no egr issues.

cheers.
westoz

Postby Honky on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:41 pm

If the volume of air is travelling at a high rate ie highway speeds for long time, I would assume that there would be little chance of particles dropping out of suspension thus less carbon?

Honky
Honky

Postby Brent1 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I've also been told that at highway speeds the ecu will periodically run the engine a bit hot to help burn off some of the crap. I've never been able to ascertain if that was true or not - it didn't seem likely but then I've noticed that sometimes my engine temps rise for no apparent reason while highway cruising so I've not been prepared to disbelieve the whole thing just yet.
My partners diesel Captiva also needs to be run periodically at over 80km/h to burn off the crap. She was told this when she purchased it brand new so we make sure we take it out of town every now and then. You can definitely notice if you don't - it starts to run poorly then the engine light comes on as it clogs up
Brent1

Postby hvac guy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 pm

That's cause of the dpf filter in them the tri doesn't have one.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 am

Ahhh I see. That makes sense
Brent1

Postby MickFodor on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:16 pm

G'day All,
Just a quick check in...

The EGR has had troubles... I thought i was more specific but i probably brushed over it... It has happened 2 or 3 times where the Triton has error coded or just spewed black smoke and lost some power... These were bolts that sheared off or came loose from the corrugated roads but they said it was around the Turbo and the EGR. I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to know if it is a "Triton" problem, a "shitty road" problem or a "shitty driver".
As at today the Triton has done almost 285,000 kilometers and just got a new set of shoes today thanks to the crappy roads (if you could call them that) past White Cliffs NSW :-)

It also has a younger sibling. Another TRITON!! only about a month and probably 10-15000 kilometers old...
All is well and i still would recommend these to anyone wanting a tough enough vehicle to abuse on and off the road...
For the price i am sure there is nothing better.

Cheers all...
MickFodor

Postby Jaymac92 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 pm

MickFodor wrote:G'day All,
Just a quick check in...

The EGR has had troubles... I thought i was more specific but i probably brushed over it... It has happened 2 or 3 times where the Triton has error coded or just spewed black smoke and lost some power... These were bolts that sheared off or came loose from the corrugated roads but they said it was around the Turbo and the EGR. I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to know if it is a "Triton" problem, a "shitty road" problem or a "shitty driver".
As at today the Triton has done almost 285,000 kilometers and just got a new set of shoes today thanks to the crappy roads (if you could call them that) past White Cliffs NSW :-)

It also has a younger sibling. Another TRITON!! only about a month and probably 10-15000 kilometers old...
All is well and i still would recommend these to anyone wanting a tough enough vehicle to abuse on and off the road...
For the price i am sure there is nothing better.

Cheers all...

That's great to hear mate!! Thanks for keeping us updated haha and good stuff on getting another one :)
Jaymac92

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm

an awesome thread, one would hope that mistu aus are reading and learning from this, or even using Mick as a tester :)
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Postby Jaymac92 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

There we go, the experts have spoken!
Jaymac92

Postby msrlo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 pm

there's a ml triton where I was doing a bit of contracting and they've got triton's for work utes and this one's got 407000ks. Don't know what's been done to it except it hasn't been rebuilt
msrlo

Postby Jaymac92 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:41 pm

msrlo wrote:there's a ml triton where I was doing a bit of contracting and they've got triton's for work utes and this one's got 407000ks. Don't know what's been done to it except it hasn't been rebuilt

If only we had someone who has racked that many k's up on their mn 2.5 haha
Jaymac92

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19 am

Jaymac92 wrote:
msrlo wrote:there's a ml triton where I was doing a bit of contracting and they've got triton's for work utes and this one's got 407000ks. Don't know what's been done to it except it hasn't been rebuilt

Eventually we will see these Ks on an MN (when the MN finally becomes and old shitter like the ML) Its just a matter of time mate ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby MickFodor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:18 am

Mattstruck wrote:
Jaymac92 wrote:

Eventually we will see these Ks on an MN (when the MN finally becomes and old shitter like the ML) Its just a matter of time mate ;)

315,000 and still counting...

at 300,000 the injectors packed it in and we shelled out about 4k to get them all replaced... Since then we have had a wiring issue relating to wear on the wire and plugs connecting to the injectors which was sorted this morning actually... Apparently the injectors are the common thing to fall over on the modern diesels and 300,000 is a better life than expected... Having it off the road a few times in a few weeks is painful this close to Christmas but after going this long it is expected really.

You want to know what they look like @ 407,000??? Give us 6 months or so and ill keep you posted... ;)

On a separate note, we bought the brand new one a few months back... the new driver "tested the offroading ability" by coming off the road @ 80+, through a ditch, fence, and who knows what else... been in repairs about 11 weeks now... apparently due to a parts shortage from Mitsubishi??? They had to replace basically all components of the front drivers corner (steering, suspension, hub, etc) and the main lower control arm was a huge drama that got ordered from japan and took about 3 weeks... although this was after the Triton going to the parramatta motor group for assessment twice and getting told that it only needed a wheel alignment (wheel touching the firewall must be a standard feature??). NRMA had to get involved and sent it to pedders...

Needless to say that Parramatta Motor Group are not on the Christmas card list this year...

Has anyone else had dramas with these guys or did we just piss them off?? It seems any involvement with them just end in disaster... It is frustrating that the only flaw with the vehicle is the lack of service/assistance from the manufacturer. It is almost worth buying a Toyota so i don't have to deal with those clowns.

Oh well, thats the update and my little rant for the minute...
Cheers all...
MickFodor

Postby al coholic on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am

From what I've heard you won't get any better service from Toyota :roll:

Thanks for the update ;) Good to hear the Triton is still kicking along with relatively few dramas (injectors aside)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby MickFodor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:33 am

al coholic wrote:From what I've heard you won't get any better service from Toyota :roll:

Thanks for the update ;) Good to hear the Triton is still kicking along with relatively few dramas (injectors aside)

You are probably right... And i am sure that there are other service centres that actually do the right thing...

I've just had a really bad run with these guys and they are unfortunately the local guys that NRMA will send issues to or rely on parts from...
MickFodor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion