Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Anything Triton related

Re: Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Postby al coholic on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:55 am

MickFodor wrote:On another note:
I found out this morning that apparently that on a Hilux, A/C is not standard??? :shock: :o :shock: :o
I left a message for the guys at Toyota...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that was common knowledge ;) think that'll cost ya another $2k.........
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Haha, classic. Thought everyone knew Toyota's don't have AC.

Looking forward to this type of comparison tho!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Sad part is if you want one, they have to special order it. Used to be a dealer fit option but no so anymore I believe.
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm

big_bob_thefirst wrote:Haha, classic. Thought everyone knew Toyota's don't have AC.

Looking forward to this type of comparison tho!

Not just AC....! My neighbour had to pay extra for central locking also, on his new toyota ute...! What a bloody rip-off...!!
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 pm

biggibbo wrote:Sad part is if you want one, they have to special order it. Used to be a dealer fit option but no so anymore I believe.

Many moons ago a place I was working at was contracted by Toyota to do ac installs on new commercial vehicles. Everything from hiace to landcruisers.

Pretty average considering the ridiculous 'Toyota tax' that comes with them.
MilkmanDan

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:07 pm

but it makes the "price" look more realistic in mags and to the casual observer.

until you go to price one up/ buy one, and it's base price + AC + this + that and no fuel.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby DocBassett on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I looked at getting a hilux before I found the triton. $62k. I laughed, left, and found a triton for 28k with 80k on it. The hilux was as basic as they come. Triton had every option available. Twas an easy decision.
DocBassett

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:23 pm

MickFodor wrote:Time to shake things up a little and find out how the Tritons really compare to the others...

Bought a 2013 run out Hilux. SR, Dual Cab, Diesel, 4X4, Auto for $39,990 so it compares with the Tritons basic equipment level i think. Everyone seems to say that the Hilux is so much better, so we are throwing the extra 10k at finding out.

I am putting Pete behind the wheel, he is the more experienced driver and has done over 500,000ks for us over the last few years in a few different vehicles. He is the best person to compare a Hilux to the Triton that he loved. We are aiming for a true unbiased comparison between the 2. The Hilux will have to be a serious performer to be worth the extra 10k but you never know i guess.

Anyone want to guess how this will go?

Its been a great read, the first 7 pages, however one gets a feeling this is just about to start getting interesting ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Triton.. Good for lots of rural k's??

Postby mattz on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:06 am

That's really sad the triton is dead. :( oh well

I'm looking forward to your honest comparison......which I'm 100% sure it will be.

But no AC. :shock: Lucky Australia doesn't have a hot climate. :lol:
That's ridiculous that any manufacturer would even consider delivering a car to Australia with out AC in this day.

BTW........I predict injectors before 100k kms and Toyota won't cover them under warranty. :roll:
You may as well put a secondary filter in now especially if your fuel could be the slightest bit suspect.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby MickFodor on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 am

Hilux was quoted with A/C, so there is no extra cost and i don't have an employee driving a sauna which is good... :D
I haven't told the driver that yet, I think he is talking to friends about installing a Daikin Split System in the back window :lol:

Central locking is not really an issue that i worry about, less electrics is better in my opinion, less to break... It is getting delivered tomorrow so we will see what i end up with soon.

I worry about everyone saying that the injectors will go sooner?!?! Is there a way to extend the injector life on both vehicles?
A filter or maybe that "Injector Cleaner" fuel additive??

I would love to have one of these hit the "Half Million", I would freak if one hit the "Million K" mark...

On the weekend I did the install of the inverter. Fuse is right up near the battery, used the black split conduit all the way to the inverter. Drilled through the foot well and ran the wiring away from the main loom... Very tidy and working well... Installed the tracker in a more permanent location too... all done, neat and tidy... about 6 hours and a few beers worth of hard labour in the heat ;)

Just waiting for the Hilux to come in tomorrow for the same treatment... Note to self: Might need more beer ;)
MickFodor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 am

There are a few threads about injectors on the newHilux forum. One advantage they seem to have over us is the ready availability of aftermarket injectors at less than what Toyota would charge you. Query whether that is simply because there are more Hiluxes so the market is bigger, or they have more injector issues so the market is bigger, or both so that the market is even bigger still. Embiggened even :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MickFodor on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

Hilux arrived...
Nice machine on face value...
Pros:
*Better looking (sorry boys)
*No plastic rubbish flares (hate those things, i think they are on the sr5 hilux though)
*vinyl interior (not a pro for many, but for us it is easier to keep clean)
*better stereo, not by much, neither are great & who cares, just an observation.
*I prefer the tailgate latches over the handle on the triton (less rattle but time will tell)
*Seats are much nicer, more support, more comfortable generally.
*Headlights seem better (i think but the driver will tell me on the first trip because you dont know until there are no streetlights)
*fit and finish inside and out are a little nicer... (the plastic on the inside feels nicer, etc) not much in it though.
*I like the way the back seat folds up... better for keeping luggage inside.
*Sunglasses holder (Stylin' LOL)

Cons
*$10,000.00 dearer!
*The tyres are a little smaller, not sure this is a bad thing though for our purposes.
*Ride is stiffer (give it a few thousand k's though) so it feels great on the hwy but the corrugated roads might be tough.
*less power, again not a real issue but if it was my personal car it would be.
*no traction control??? (that's pretty ordinary)
*No tiptronic shift (not an issue for us)
*not even sure it has ABS?!?!

This is the opinion of two d!*kheads looking at it while we install the inverter and tracker last night...
It has done about 50km so far and holding strong... LOL
Realistically time will tell, d!*khead number 2 (Pete, the driver) it really looking forward to getting into it and seeing how it goes... The mechanic is obviously a fan and said that we will probably get 500,000 out of it "no dramas"... "challenge accepted" (thanks lachiem)... I told you he loved the Triton...
MickFodor

Postby mIwoo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

MickFodor wrote:Hilux was quoted with A/C, so there is no extra cost and i don't have an employee driving a sauna which is good... :D
I haven't told the driver that yet, I think he is talking to friends about installing a Daikin Split System in the back window :lol:

Central locking is not really an issue that i worry about, less electrics is better in my opinion, less to break... It is getting delivered tomorrow so we will see what i end up with soon.

I worry about everyone saying that the injectors will go sooner?!?! Is there a way to extend the injector life on both vehicles?

I would love to have one of these hit the "Half Million", I would freak if one hit the "Million K" mark...

On the weekend I did the install of the inverter. Fuse is right up near the battery, used the black split conduit all the way to the inverter. Drilled through the foot well and ran the wiring away from the main loom... Very tidy and working well... Installed the tracker in a more permanent location too... all done, neat and tidy... about 6 hours and a few beers worth of hard labour in the heat ;)

Just waiting for the Hilux to come in tomorrow for the same treatment... Note to self: Might need more beer ;)

only seen 3 vehicles with more than half a mil kms and 1 with over 1 mill. All 3 were late 80's builds, 2 were landcruiser utes and 1 was a pajero. The paj had over 680 000, cruiser had 850 000 and a cruiser that had over 1 300 000 kms :shock:

Yet to see a modern diesel do over the half a mil mark
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Sootie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 am

mIwoo wrote:
MickFodor wrote:Hilux was quoted with A/C, so there is no extra cost and i don't have an employee driving a sauna which is good... :D

only seen 3 vehicles with more than half a mil kms and 1 with over 1 mill. All 3 were late 80's builds, 2 were landcruiser utes and 1 was a pajero. The paj had over 680 000, cruiser had 850 000 and a cruiser that had over 1 300 000 kms :shock:

I had a 75 series ute with over 500 000 kms on it for a while, the body was falling off it but the engine was still pulling strong, missus wouldn't get in it so I got rid of it but wasnt a bad truck
Sootie

Postby MickFodor on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

Sootie wrote:
mIwoo wrote:

I had a 75 series ute with over 500 000 kms on it for a while, the body was falling off it but the engine was still pulling strong, missus wouldn't get in it so I got rid of it but wasnt a bad truck

Everyone says they are probably the toughest trucks out there at the moment... but the cost of a new one just killed its chances for us.
MickFodor

Postby Hondon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

g'day Mick would also b interesting to see the fuel consumption comparison between the 2
Hondon

Postby Sootie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Mate has had 2 different hiluxes as work trucks, first one did a turbo at around 280 000 kms so it was sold, his current one is over 300 000 kms and it carries at least 1ton of gear with it all day every day, as far as I know it has never had anything major done but I'm not 100% sure
Sootie

Postby har05l on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm

I have a mate that got over 500,000 km's out of his 96 magna, does that count :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

har05l wrote:I have a mate that got over 500,000 km's out of his 96 magna, does that count :lol:

It does for the ml v6 owners :P :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:47 pm

At 500k's your also looking at other things on the vehicle IMO, eg seats, bearings, diffs, etc.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby MickFodor on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 am

Calblitzen wrote:At 500k's your also looking at other things on the vehicle IMO, eg seats, bearings, diffs, etc.

True, but keep in mind, we service them monthly... things like that get picked up and we just repair or replace... We had to repair the seat in the last one because you could feel the frame underneath... Pete is a pretty big fella... Bearings and drive line were fine... Some suspension parts were replaced along the way but not as many as i expected, probably because its not "tough 4x4 work" with a lot of flexing, just a lot of dirt roads... i just figured the corrugated roads would have killed it... It did develop a leak in the rear seal that never got bad enough to bother fixing... It was over 320,000 and I think it would have made 500 easy without the fire... Then again... if the dog didnt stop for a s#!t, it would have won the race... hope to find out on the other 2...

Triton # 2 is approaching 50,000k and heading to Moulamein at present, it would have done a lot more than that if the new bloke didnt put it through a fence, it was off the road for about 8 weeks :( . Hilux is on 70 and sitting in the carpark but still running great too :D .
MickFodor

Postby Jaymac92 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Following with great interest Mick. How is the new one going now?
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby MickFodor on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Well timed... I actually got on here to find out how to remove the stereo to replace it with a VMS unit. Any tips???

The triton has been put on hold lately due to a staff issue... (no driver)
The Hilux is still out on the road and performing well (early days though).

I will install the VMS in dash nav unit this week and it will be going out on occasional runs but not nearly as heavily driven as the original or the hilux until we get another driver.
MickFodor

Postby Jaymac92 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:35 pm

MickFodor wrote:Well timed... I actually got on here to find out how to remove the stereo to replace it with a VMS unit. Any tips???

The triton has been put on hold lately due to a staff issue... (no driver)
The Hilux is still out on the road and performing well (early days though).

I will install the VMS in dash nav unit this week and it will be going out on occasional runs but not nearly as heavily driven as the original or the hilux until we get another driver.

I would have no idea how to do that mate sorry. I hear they are quite a pain in the butt to do
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby Jaymac92 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

How is the triton going now mate?
Jaymac92

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion