What did you do to your Triton today?

Anything Triton related

Re: What did you do to your Triton today?

Postby moses on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Stebel nautilus horn installed.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:52 am

Swapped in new SCV - idles much smoother. Will be interested to see effect when out on the road later.

So this has gone in at around 230k. I'd say you can look forward to a newey every 100k, with a polish around 50k into its lifespan.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Fitted 265/60R18 Falken Wildpeaks.

I like the look of them and I think they will do just what I want.

Click to view larger picture

tacticaltriton

Postby har05l on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:12 am

tacticaltriton wrote:Fitted 265/60R18 Falken Wildpeaks.

I like the look of them and I think they will do just what I want.

I fitted these in a 265/70/17 back in June. They’ve clocked up around 15k kms so far, 8k kms and 6 weeks of that doing the Cape.
Fantastic tyre and solid construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Replaced a egt guage that I may, or may not have been the cause of it's demise.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Got my tailshaft back after its conversion to single piece. I could deal with the shudder on takeoff, but a centre bearing that was getting noisy only 5000km after replacing it convinced me it was worth converting to a single piece. Bolted it in and took it for a quick spin around the block, no more shudder :D :D
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 pm

aids84 wrote:Got my tailshaft back after its conversion to single piece. I could deal with the shudder on takeoff, but a centre bearing that was getting noisy only 5000km after replacing it convinced me it was worth converting to a single piece. Bolted it in and took it for a quick spin around the block, no more shudder :D :D

Nice. What was the cost of the new tail shaft? I have been experiencing the shudder since the lift went in but not sure how much it annoys me yet.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby aids84 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Joel wrote:Nice. What was the cost of the new tail shaft? I have been experiencing the shudder since the lift went in but not sure how much it annoys me yet.

Cost me $500. May seem like a bit but worth it for me to not have a centre bearing to worry about, and to get rid of the shudder. The new shaft has about 10mm clearance to the crossmember with the diff at full droop.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Driver on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 am

Time to upgrade the brakes. Front rotors were warped and pads were totally stuffed. I upgraded to the rotors to DBA T2 with Bendix HD pads. I have the rear shoes ready but I was advised to get new rear wheel cylinders as they would leak if I put the new shoes on and didn't change the cylinders.
Anyway braking is much better and safer now.
MN Driver

Postby har05l on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am

MN Driver wrote:Time to upgrade the brakes. Front rotors were warped and pads were totally stuffed. I upgraded to the rotors to DBA T2 with Bendix HD pads. I have the rear shoes ready but I was advised to get new rear wheel cylinders as they would leak if I put the new shoes on and didn't change the cylinders.
Anyway braking is much better and safer now.

I’m on my 3rd set of rear shoes and never had a leak. Just need to be careful when swapping out and you shouldn’t have a problem

[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Driver on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am

I have just ordered them. At least I know that all of the brakes will be new so I won't have to worry about it for a long time. After driving around for a week on the new T2 dba rotors, I can say it makes a big difference and I feel alot safer now when driving.
MN Driver

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am

aids84 wrote:
Joel wrote:Nice. What was the cost of the new tail shaft? I have been experiencing the shudder since the lift went in but not sure how much it annoys me yet.

Cost me $500. May seem like a bit but worth it for me to not have a centre bearing to worry about, and to get rid of the shudder. The new shaft has about 10mm clearance to the crossmember with the diff at full droop.

I also did the single tailshaft conversion. I had concerns on that 10mm clearance to the crossmember. Iv since got a reciprocating saw and cut out a centre section and scooped the crossmember and welded back in. Have now 30mm clearance for any those airborne moments :o
Thongsbot3000

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Tried a different car wash, laser wash! Wow...would a laser seek out dirt and ensure it got cleaned off?

Well, for privilege of paying an extra five bucks compared to the usual one I go to, it still only rated about 8.5 out of 10. :lol:

Can't beat hand washing & polish.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozrider81 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Joel wrote:Just dropped her in for an ultimate 2 inch lift. The original suspension is completely clapped out after 5 and a half years and 120k kms. Can't wait to feel the difference

How do the new suspension feel after been running in, not far off ordering my suspension kit from ultimate just got 1 thing to buy/fix and can allocate the funds

ozrider81

Postby Joel on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Yeah very happy. Hardly any shudder (or I have just grown used to it.) Picked up around 70mm in the rear and 40 or so in the front.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Enid_Triton on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 pm

I welded up and painted the inside & top tub rails on both sides. It's not easy welding Triton tin even with the MIG on it's lowest setting. It's time consuming because you have to do it bit by bit or it gets too hot & you blow holes in the metal.

My Triton has a hard cover fitted & the previous owner lost the keys.
So, instead of going to a locksmith or just raising the center of the lid a little and grabbing safety release wire on the inside he raised the center of the lid a lot and used a long flat bar to lever the locking bars up & down on both sides until the tub rails snapped around the locks. But it also cracked the top of the rails on both sides too, so I had to weld those up as well.

Then after he got inside to get out what was in there he Jimmied the locking mechanism so it wouldn't lock again and then stuck the broken pieces of metal back in the Tub with liquid nails, rivets and a backing plate. No kidding,,,It was a bloody mess.

That is the main reasons I got it so cheap ($18,000 with 60,000 k's) for a 2015 mn GLX R.
Even with the tub damage it was worth it.You couldn't see it with the top down anyway.
It has been like if for months now, so I thought that I had better fix it before the dreaded cancer set in.
Now it's like brand new again. It came up pretty schmick if I do say so myself.
Enid_Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 pm

:shock:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 am

It seems the locks for the tub covers use one of the most common keys used in industrial applications, ie. electrical enclosures, etc.....real worry in terms of security.

My locks show evidence of screw driver attack, so have kept at least one a hole out.

There is a lot of scope for improving the tub security.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am

Installed some cheapy gas struts for the bonnet last night. Seems to do the job pretty well after a few modifications to the brackets that the kit came with.
ozguy7

Postby ozguy7 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 am

Quiet weekend so I removed and cleaned the intercooler out. Quite a bit of oil came out. Inlet Manifold is next on the list.

Bit of a mission getting out with a TJM bar installed though!
ozguy7

Postby MrCozy on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Cut the locks off my rhino storage box that lost keys to after put in safe place then bolted said tool box to tub bed, later to be tack welded under neath for easy removal and resecure at later date

MrCozy

Postby ozguy7 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 am

Installed an LED Strip under the bonnet with a standalone switch.

Not the best photo but does a great job. Quick, simple mod to do.

ozguy7

Postby ozguy7 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 am

Spent the last weekend installing an Ebay Snorkel. Pretty damn happy with the result. Cost around $130 all-up including the snorkel and hole saws etc. Even with my dubious handyman skills it wasn't that complicated a job.

This is the snorkel - https://www.bestbikeau.com.au/new-snorkel-kit-air-intake-mitsubishi-triton-ml-mn~5786
Used this for guidance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2ZsiTlF3A
ozguy7

Postby MN Driver on Thu May 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Just bought a set of 5 Handkook MT with 6x7 steelies for some 4wding in forestry tracks on the sunshine coast
on special for $1570

MN Driver

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Interesting tyres those Hankooks. Split centre ribs makes them almost a crossover between M/T and A/T but with nice big voids.

How noisy are they?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion