the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Triton in the media

Re: the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:11 pm

ahhh reminds me of driving the 2t isuzu work truck 4th gear on the gateway idling along in moving heavy traffic( lazy driving 8-) ) who needs an auto 90 to 10klmh in one gear :roll:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 pm

What's going to suck is these little 2.5s are gonna be able to beat the stock 3.2s off the mark :?

I assume smaller motor - more power - lighter overall mass.. could be wrong!
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm

NaffX214 wrote:What's going to suck is these little 2.5s are gonna be able to beat the stock 3.2s off the mark :?

But they will be secretly coming up against chipped 3.2's, no show.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Stu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

daryn wrote:
NaffX214 wrote:What's going to suck is these little 2.5s are gonna be able to beat the stock 3.2s off the mark :?

But they will be secretly coming up against chipped 3.2's, no show.

;)
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby sam on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Rang Mitsubishi's free call number and they were update on the MN today .
Told the young lady that I wouldn't be buying another Triton unless they put the 3.2 back in it and she admitted they'd had alot of calls saying the same thing so maybe they'll get the message :roll:
sam

Postby Racer on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm

sam wrote:Rang Mitsubishi's free call number and they were update on the MN today .
Told the young lady that I wouldn't be buying another Triton unless they put the 3.2 back in it and she admitted they'd had alot of calls saying the same thing so maybe they'll get the message :roll:

Sssshhhhh, that means our Triton will keep its value now :)
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Mantis on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:21 pm

sam wrote:Rang Mitsubishi's free call number and they were update on the MN today .

I'm on the other side of the world for work till the start of October right now.. Sam, or anyone else, is there an email address that I can use to vent my personal opinion on this apparent state of the art new technology???
Mantis

Postby Stu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:57 pm

sierra wrote:
Stu wrote:
Can anyone driving the current 2.5 answer a couple of questions?

Can you take off in second gear?
is there much turbo lag?

these are a couple of things that I don't like about the nissan 2.5

Just got back and tried pulling away in 3rd on idle only on the flat. No problem and it was soon idling along at 650rpm but it didn't like the transition from 650rpm with very light throttle so I slipped the clutch up to 900rpm and it was away.
I assume the 3.2 can do the same but more easily?

ok so just tried this in third, no probs getting it to idle speed without throttle and then eased on the throttle and she was going. totally irrelevant though as no one takes off in 3rd but alot of manual driver regardless of vehicle use 2nd for takeoff unless loaded up
Stu

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 pm

third is a bit of a sluggish start - first is almost a waist :lol:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:09 pm

why do i keep misreading this thread title as "The End is coming - September" ? :?: :? :P :P
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

not the end, rather something new and never before seen....

I call it...

small man syndrome
Stu

Postby sierra on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Stu wrote:not the end, rather something new and never before seen....
I call it...
small man syndrome

You can say that again!

Let's hope for Mitsubishi's sake that the potential buyers of the MN don't have that same hang up?
Last edited by sierra on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sierra

Postby Stu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:01 pm

i know you are but what am I
Stu

Postby Etoile on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 am

Hey guys found this article on the new MN Triton http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/co ... my10-16209 Pretty much everything we already know, however found it interesting that they refer to the 2.4 as the ONLY petrol engine in the MY10 range... :? Do you think Mits' are getting dicontinueing the V6?

Damo
Etoile

Postby Mantis on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

LMFAO!!! I love this bit right here, "The new Triton answers all the questions our owners have asked of us. The result is that this car is in great demand -- so much so that June sales were the highest monthly sales ever recorded for Triton in this country... In light of this, we have decided to release details of the new 2010 Triton early, to let prospective buyers know just what a great vehicle we have in store for them," stated McEniry.

Use your head dumbarse!! You've done the complete opposite, hence why people are running out to get the last of the decent Tritons with the 3.2, it's not the new Triton that's in great demand, it's the ML with the 3.2 that is in great demand. Hence the spike in June sales.... Answers all the questions, yeah right!! Actually no, I'l rephrase that.. Ticked every box apart from one important one that would of really made the MN stand out from the crowd...
Mantis

Postby wdw on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:30 pm

NO 2.5 AUTO TRITON FOR ME. NO TRITON FOR ME THEN
wdw

Postby rick on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm

any way cut the crap and get down to the nitty......does this mean our 3.2 beastys are colectors editions 8-)
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby Racer on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 pm

rick wrote:any way cut the crap and get down to the nitty......does this mean our 3.2 beastys are colectors editions 8-)

Yep...but it also means the entry of the 5spd auto..thats a plus
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Racer wrote:Yep...but it also means the entry of the 5spd auto..thats a plus

Big plus! The old 4 speed auto is a Neanderthal in this age of 5 - 7 speed autos.
Mitsubishi is stepping into the 21st century with the MN.
sierra

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 pm

What with a block straight out of the 80's. Trace the history of this engine. I was driving a 4d56 ITD built in 1990, the non intercooled 2.3 was the original Pajero engine in 1984.

Big backward step if you ask me.

Adding commonrail/ direct injection does not bring an engine into the 21st century.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby sam on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:32 pm

4wd26 wrote:What with a block straight out of the 80's. Trace the history of this engine. I was driving a 4d56 ITD built in 1990, the non intercooled 2.3 was the original Pajero engine in 1984.

Big backward step if you ask me.

Adding commonrail/ direct injection does not bring an engine into the 21st century.

I have to agree with 4wd26 the 2.5's origins are old and I doubt it would take off in third as easy as the 3.2 like I did last night by mistake :o :o ;)
My mate who I bought the new Tri from has had his first company who was looking to buy a pprox 4 Triton's are reviewing their purchase due to as they put it, specification changes :roll: :roll:
sam

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:40 pm

4wd26 wrote:Adding commonrail/ direct injection does not bring an engine into the 21st century.

I agree. Clearly the engineers at Mitsubishi have done much more than that over the years, give them some credit.
They could have started from scratch with a totally new engine but adding another 30% power with reduced fuel consumption shows the capability and success of the modifications over the years. It probably bears as little resemblance to the original as the MN does to the ME.
Another factor is that 3.2L for a 4 cylinder motor is pushing the limits when you start to step up the output with 2.7L recognised as the usual design limit. That might have been the deciding factor and hopefully there's a sweet 6 under development that will make everyone happy.
Anyone that has ordered the new model wont be interested in joining this forum until they feel welcome and not the target of ridicule.
sierra

Postby Stu on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:15 pm

no one hanging shit on the owners sierra, no need to take it personally hence my comment about small man syndrome. I think you're missing the point of the concerns that most members (well me anyway) have here, that is that I don't want a small bore high rpm motor. If that was the case I would have bought a petrol. The lack of power in the lower rev range, particularly off boost is my main issue with the smaller motors. At the end of the day if you're happy with the 2.5 and it's doing what you ask of it then that's great and I'm sure soon enough this forum will be inundated with happy 2.5 owners and us 3.2 owners can grumble under our breath while we talk about the good old days :lol:

No shit, this forum has been nothing but help besides the occasional little disagreement and I'm sure you and all the other 2.5 owners will keep it that way
Stu

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm glad to hear that Stu, thanks.
Remember I'm the only one here with a 2.5 that actively contributes.
I've got less than 4,000km on the clock and love the engine. I like the sound, the roar on over-run, the fast transition to boost, the silence cruising, the economy and the feeling it will go on forever. It would be good to have just one other forum member with a 2.5 to show some enthusiasm too and having 90% of the 3.2 owners pouring shit on an engine they've never driven can get trying!
Anyway, it aint small bore for a 4 pot and it revs no higher than the 3.2.
The new variable vane turbo will likely bring the power down even lower with it's greater efficiency over a greater range.
That means it will provide more torque than the 3.2 at lower rpm and keep it going right through the range[hopefully?]
By comparison it's the 3.2 that will have to be kept in lower gears to keep up.

I can't wait for the first MN owners to post their opinions and I will be spewing because I've only got the 100kw version but that's life!
sierra

Postby tritionspecn on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 pm

I must be a sucker for the punishment!!!!! :oops:

Well guys, quietly speaking, I JUST BOUGHT A NEW GLX-R!!!!!!! BRING IT ON! :shock:

Guys, not bragging or not trying to be smart but, :roll: , I rang my bloke for an ETA on my older GLX 2wd DiD kitted up to basically look like a current GLX-R, cos when I bought it, I was not interested about 4wd at all, but as my intro reads, just needed something a bit more versatile. Then I found this site and you guys and listenting to some of the adventure stories, I was a bit envious, and sort of thinking that I made a mistake not getting the GLX-R.

So cut it short, rang my decent stealer, asked some questions and I was in the area and stuck my head in.
After having a bit of discussion, I asked him how hard would it be to sell my glx if I bought a new GLX-R cos I think I am a converted 4wd er. As the words came out of my mouth, a peospective customer walked in and stated he was after a GLX 2wd. An oppurtunity arose, told him he could sell mine and I then proceeded to order a new GLX-R. It was a win win moment.

Guys, I have been following this thread and I understand all of the concerns etc etc, I cant say that I bought this vehicle for its merrits of why you guys bought the previous model and the trusty 3.2 motor for the extra regular load capabilities day in day out. Not for the time being, but I said that about 4wd ing, its more for a bit of off roading and just a damn nice looking dual cab that can give you heaps of flexability for so many options.

As i have just started to this all, I am happy to be a bit of a guinea pig for the site and ask for your blessing to still be a member to new triton. I dont particularly have the knowledge most you guys do, but if , when the Triton does come, i am happy to hook up with the local guys in melbourne, to get a bit of a feel and feedback on the 2.5 DiD. If any objections, let us know. ???? :?:
tritionspecn

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News