the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Triton in the media

Re: the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Postby sheepo on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm

my local dealer said it was the 3.2
in the new model for sure said he had the paper work in the office :?
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Re: The new model rumor mill.

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 pm

The Hyundai i30 1582cc diesel puts out 85kw at 4,000rpm and 255Nm at 2,000rpm
Upping that to 2477cc we get 133kw and 399Nm, almost identical to the 131kw and 400Nm of the uprated Mitsubishi. In the 1399kg i30 it's rated at an amazing 4.7L/100km combined but it's a lot more aerodynamic than a Triton, especially one with all the offroad extras.
Again, comparing the capacities let's try weight.
1582cc for 1399kg compares with 2477cc lugging 2190kg while the new MN Triton has dropped a few kilos and the GLX-R manual will be under 2,000kg so it has less to lug per cc, kw and Nm.

Going to this site,

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/default.asp

not a single complaint for an i30 regardless of the engine and they've been around for almost 2 years now.

So the uprated 2.5 is virtually identical to the Hyundai 1.6 in output per cc and the rpm it's achieved at but has less weight to lug around proportionally speaking and the engine is Japanese not Korean[??]

By today's standards it's neither highly stressed nor small capacity and Mitsubishi might just be correct regardless of the ruler toting vocal majority on this forum?
sierra

Postby liamb on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 pm

My biggest issue is all vehicles in this class are built to a budget ie no one will pay more than $50,000 for a dual cad diesel ute ( I know there are some that are more but the reality is that the caryards and car companies know that they can make money selling for less that list price). The current Triton I feel is best bang for buck in the group.
All the parts that make up these utes are made to meet a budget, some are built/ assembled well and some are done very cheaply to meet costs. Nissan must be having issues with the costs versus return from their motors. I have worked for ome suppliers in aust and the uk and things like Ford asking for a 3 year contract to supply mirrors at a 1/3 cost reduction with a new feature with each model update makes it hard to keep up with quality while covering costs. The new Tritons will have a good quality motor that has done well but is now having to pull more weight (2700kg or more towing) and making up for the 3.2 performance in the GLX 4x4. I am sure the numbers (kw and torque) will be there but at the cost of the life of the motor as Mitsubishi are not going to upgrade the internals to take the bigger boost and higher loads put on the motor. I notice the auto box is now a 5 speed but will this affect the great performance of the 3.2 with the 4 speed auto.
I really want a Triton for the family to do serious travelling around the country with a camp trailer and also for work. I like the space in the rear seats and the bang for buck has been great but with the new motor I fell there will be many let downs

Bill
liamb

Postby liamb on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm

sierra. It is not as simple as up rating figures to say it will work. A Triton is a comercial vehilce designed to carry much more weight than a familty car. There is more weight, different tyres and transmisions and as such more rolling resistance and a 4wd system to run. The i30 is a 2 wheel drive family car designed to get the kids around and do the shopping under very low loads, Tritons are designed to tow large masses, go off road, and be driven differently than a family car.

Bill
liamb

Postby Racer on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Who gives a Rats men...I love my Triton....no need to trade her in anytime soon....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Liamb,
Less difference than you would imply I think.
The i30 is also designed to cruise long distances at speed, able to tow 1200kg and carry 440kg.
The Tritons probably get used more for ferrying the kids and shopping than the i30s and the % time/km spent offroad for the majority would be insignificant.
Don't forget only a few Tritons have had the 3.2D or the 3.5V6 and the 2.5D has served the rest of the world for 3 years doing the same job with few complaints that I'm aware of? It's not an unknown quantity, it's already proven, the only difference is that it's been pumped up by 30% for a market that demands more grunt.
sierra

Postby sam on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Bottom line is a smaller motor works harder to do the same job :!:

I agree that when you're just criusing down the road say with dad,mum and 2 kids the 2.5 would be fine
and even a bit of gear not a prob.
Where the smaller motor will lack is towing and I'll give a perfect example of this especially for sierra.

My mate had an 04 Pajero DiD and his mate had a R51 2.5 Pathfinder and they used to go up north together and when they both filled up at Canarvon they sat on the same speed travelling together to Minilya
roadhouse.
When they refilled at the roadhouse the Pajero took 19.8 lts and the Pathfinder just on 29 lts :o :shock:
That's a BIG differance in fuel :cry:
As my mate Gary said the Pathy did have a bit more weight most probably about 150 kg or so but like he said there should not have been that much differance.

Iam willing to stand corrected if this motor proves me wrong but I not sure that I will be.
The other issue in the 4x4 manual Triton will be the low range gearing as you can BET your bottom dollar that Mits wont change the gearing from 1.9 to 1 to anything lower so the small motor wont have the grunt to keep going when idling over rough terrain :( as our 3.2 struggles at times with some of the places we go.
sam

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am

Racer wrote:Who gives a Rats men...I love my Triton....no need to trade her in anytime soon....

same here .... sick of the " i heard 2.5 .... well i heard 3.2 ...... but my dealer wouldnt lie ...... ive been searchn the net " saga

what happens will happen and if the 2.5 doesnt appeal to people its simple ...... dont buy one then !!
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 am

Sam,
A less than perfect example with 2 totally different vehicles assuming were they both manual or auto.
If it was a pair of Triton single cab tray tops, with the 2.5 carrying 140kg to match to extra weight of the 4x4 and they both had the same tyres etc, then it would be a good example but still less than perfect because the 2.5 has higher gearing.

You're still missing the point that the 2.5 is the normal engine for the 4x4 with the 3.2 being the exception.
It even manages to keep going off road apparently, although the 3.2 has a massive 10% extra torque.
That's probably why they're dropping the 3.2, the power output is low for it's capacity by today's standards.

Notice that VW now use a 1.4 petrol engine in the Golf that puts out 118kw and 240Nm with an average consumption of 6.2L/100km It weighs about 1300kg. 8sec to 100kph
Compare that with the previous 2L petrol, non turbo, that put out 110kw and 200Nm with an average consumption of 8L/100km Same weight. 8.8sec to 100kph
sierra

Postby liamb on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 am

My issue here is replacing a 3.2 turbo motor with a 2.5 turbo motor making more power (ie under more strain, stress) I am looking at dual cad 4wd utes not family cars to trek my tools around and do camping/ fishing/ shooting trips with family and friends. Comparing like with like ie a GLX R 3.2 4 speed auto with a GLX R 2.5 5 speed auto is my beef. I know to make equal power and torque and tow the same masses ie 2500kg the 2.5 motor will need to be boosted more and revved harder for longer to match the performance of the 3.2. (more stress more fuel/l displacement used) I have seen amazing power produced from small capacity motors but none were made to last or did last. All you seem to see these days is the add makers sprouting power numbers and fuel consumption numbers which are nice but you dont know what the motors have to do to make the numbers (look at Nissan lately). What boost they run how lean they are tuned? how close to the limit are they? I know they are not going to make a car that will fall apart in 1 month but they are made to a budget and its easy to get numbers but not so easy to make the system reliable for the long term.

Bill
liamb

Postby Stu on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 am

does anyone have dyno graphs of both the 3.2 & the 2.5 so we can compare where the power is? I'm pretty sure the 3.2 makes maximum power at 3000rpm.

Also can we keep this discussion to 1 thread please? preferably the "would you buy a 2.5" thread
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Stu on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am

:lol: you too hey dylan
Stu

Postby Buzzy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 am

I will merge the threads Stu, might make it a bit easier to follow :?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am

mmmmm, not sure what happened here.
Merged the 2 threads and now theres posts all over the joint :?
There all in this thread anyway :geek:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Stu wrote::lol: you too hey dylan

It's always Dylans fault...or Stu's fault....or Greedy's fault....and don't get me started on....
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Stu on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Homer wrote:or Stu's fault....

I thought my wife had logged in as homer for a second there
Stu

Postby tritionspecn on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Another Confirmation!!! :shock:
Spoke to my stealer ( G'day M) and pretty much the news coming out is the 2.5l new engine to Australia.
There will be 3 mods to choose from, GLX, GLX-R, GLX-VR or the there abouts in that order. VR is gone but replaced by the GLX-R but missing some bits and peices from the current. The new engin is only availiable in the Top of range model, and does get 118mm length increase and 55ml higher tub. Thats all for now, dont know what to say tough decisions for some................
tritionspecn

Postby Homer on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Are you saying the 2.5 only available in GLX-VR (assume that is new top end from your post) and the others will have 3.2?

Now that has thrown a cat among the pigeons :lol: :lol: 2 bob each way. ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Stu on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 pm

spoke to a dealer today about ordering a top spec new triton & was told that he could supply a glxr and have it trimmed in leather as that was the new top spec model. Asked him about diff lock and motors he said I could have difflock but would have to order now to get in a few months. So I asked him if it would have the 147kw paj 3.2, he said mitsu would not tell any of their dealers what motor it would have untill they hit the showrooms. I said why would I order a vehicle without knowing what motor it would have? and he said "yeah I know it's stupid but all they will tell us is it has higher towing cap and more power"

so I guess we still don't know which dealer is telling the truth or if any dealer actually knows whats going on.
He did say that they will be hitting showrooms in October though so I'm signing out of this thread untill I can test drive one
Stu

Postby tritonmick on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Some news from dealers on the new Triton. It will have the new 2.5ltr for sure, 1800mm longer and 55mm deeper in the tub, side curtain airbags and will get MMCS. Gone is the hardlid on the GLX-r and a new model called the GLS is on the way. It will fit between the GLX and the GLX-r. New shape for the front and change of side steps from flat to round. I can guarantee these changes for sure and will keep an update going if requested. New model looks great!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
tritonmick

Postby tritonmick on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Stu,
No pajero motor for new Triton but it does look fantastic and makes me envious that that I will have old model
tritonmick

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:05 pm

liamb wrote: I know to make equal power and torque and tow the same masses ie 2500kg the 2.5 motor will need to be boosted more and revved harder for longer to match the performance of the 3.2. (more stress more fuel/l displacement used)

Putting out 131kw and 400Nm will mean increasing the boost but the power will be delivered in the same areas of the rev range with torque peaking about 2,000rpm and kw close to 4,000rpm.
The substantially higher torque will mean the engine will need to be revved less not more than the 3.2 and will spend most of it's time in the 1,500 - 2,500rpm range, same as they do now. As long as the pistons, rods, crankshaft are strong and the head's well screwed down and engineered it can still last for many hundreds of thousands of km, same as the VW 1.4 will i'm sure and the Hyundai 1.6 TD.
The Golf 1.4 versus the Gulf 2.0 shows that a smaller engine can be boosted to produce more power yet give much better economy, exactly what we have in this instance.
sierra

Postby FreestyleCab on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 pm

And we all know how well the knuckle heads at Nissan did when they dropped "million mile" 4.2L TD from the Patrol and replaced it with the self imploding 3.0L four cylinder....that had a bit more power but a bit less torque.
No offence to sierra (who is waying the 2.5L flag feverishly) and others who like the 2.5L, but I bought my 3.2L Triton because I thought it was the less "stressed" engine out of all the ute brands. The only way Mitsubishi will tempt me to buy again is to keep the 3.2L......or bring out a V6 CRD.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:47 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:....or bring out a V6 CRD.

Even better, bring out a straight 6 twin cam, the sweetest engine of all.
I'm providing some balance in a sea of 3.2 hysteria and like to think I would do the same if I had the 3.2 which I would be happy to have too.
sierra

Postby Blue on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:44 pm

tritonmick wrote:Some news from dealers on the new Triton. It will have the new 2.5ltr for sure, 1800mm longer and 55mm deeper in the tub, side curtain airbags and will get MMCS. Gone is the hardlid on the GLX-r and a new model called the GLS is on the way. It will fit between the GLX and the GLX-r. New shape for the front and change of side steps from flat to round. I can guarantee these changes for sure and will keep an update going if requested. New model looks great!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

6 foot longer...??? :shock:

;)
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News