the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Triton in the media

Re: the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Postby sierra on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:38 pm

alias wrote:I've just put in an order for the new model GLX R today

Good on you Alias, that's 3 positive posts in the last hour!
Is it going to be auto 4 or 5 or manual?
If both autos are limited to 350Nm it seems like the autos are at their limit but the torque curve will likely be like a table top with the computer slicing with surgical accuracy. Could be a bit peaky for the converter perhaps?
Assuming the manual is the same 5 speed it must be as tough as old boots to handle 400Nm!

The chassis might have been uprated because the 4x2 2.5 has gained 200kg towing capacity with the same engine output.
sierra

Postby Mantis on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:22 am

Well that's me done, my first and last Triton and dual cab ute.. I'm not willing to risk my hard earned just to see the same thing happen as what did to the Pootroll owners..

Thanks alot Mitsubishi, even though I have had a few problems with my ML, I still value the product and was more than happy to stay loyal to it and upgrade when my lease is up in another 2 years time, but I hate to say it, that WILL not be happening now.

Hell, I'm that pissed off right now I'm not even willing to stick with Mitsu at all!! I was keen on a VRX Paj if the news of 2.5 was true, but I'm unsure now.... Hopefully in 2 years when I'm ready enough of the 2.5's would of self destructed and they'll just chuck the Pajero 3.2 DiD in, then I'll be back..
Mantis

Postby Stu on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 am

fingers crossed mantis, the 3.2 will be the update for the my12 :lol:
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Mantis on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:33 am

Stu wrote:fingers crossed mantis, the 3.2 will be the update for the my12 :lol:

That's exactly what I'm hoping for mate..

Cheers, Shane.
Mantis

Postby sam on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 am

Stu wrote:got this confirmed today aswell

Soooooooooo
lets look at some figures

2.5 in "standard" guise
puts out 100kw & 314Nm

and unless it is a new engine which I doubt, it's just an uprated model

in "HP" (read upped boost)
puts out 131kw & 400Nm

pretty cool hey, oh and it uses a "claimed" 8.3l/100 & we all know that that relates to about 9 or 10l/100 in real life

now lets look at the 4m41
in "standard" guise as found in our beloved ML
it puts out 118kw & 347Nm

then the uprated version in the Pajero (read upped boost again)
puts out....... wait for it
147kw & 441Nm with a claimed 8.4l/100

now tell me which motor is working harder?

and is still plenty tunable from there, from chipping alone a claimed 191kw & 530Nm
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptun ... 411-r.html

now I can't for the life of me understand why? but cost alone would they go down this path

this will be my first & last triton

This would have to have been the ultimate ute if they had put the NT Paj motor into it just imagine 191Kw and 530 Nm of torque just from chipping then with a 3in exhaust , bigger cooler and goodies would have to go over 200Kw with great economy.
Would maybe getting stressed a bit by that stage but hey at least even if you left it stock it's it has better Kw/Nm and the same fuel economy as the 2.5 so there's no comparison imho.

The 2.5 will be alright and will suit alot of people but will be interesting to see economy figures when towing. ;)

Also I did know for SURE that the 3.2 was history but was sworn to not say a word hence why I went a bought the last
white GLX-R in WA that the dealer could get and then it was touch and go if we'd get it it so we were lucky :D

Will be the last Triton we buy unless they put the 3.2 back in it so maybe the VW next time
sam

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Sam,

Sworn to secret...what the.... Did you not read the conditions when registering ? NO SECRETS

Mind you no-one took me up on the bet.

Who knows what will be out and about in 3 years time, geez Toyota might even reduce there prices by then.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm not sure I understand why all the panic just because the new engine is smaller. There are plenty of 2.5 litre motors around that pump out heaps more power and torque than the the new Mitsu 2.5 and most are petrol so don't have the bigger bottom ends that a diesel does. Holden went down 200cc and up some 30kW and their buyers still lined up at the door. If everyone took that attitude then we'd all still be driving red motor Holdens and getting excited about 80kW.

Mitsubishi have a reputation for building fairly strong motors, especially in the bottom end, hence their ability to take huge performance upgrades without need for major re-engineering. Mitsubishi is generally conservative with their engines, detuning somewhat and we have to remember that this is NOT the Nissan engine and any comparison with their 3.0 is quite irrelevant - the problems with that motor are specific to that motor alone - Nissan make plenty of other good, high performance engines. The comparisons with problems with the Navara 2.5 catching on fire are also irrelevant - these are issues which have nothing to do with the Mitsubishi motors.

The other point is that other markets have had a 2.5 Triton for a long time and there aren't any major cries of "It's too small and overstressed" from anything that I've heard or read. For my money an engine that can give me the same power, a bucketload more torque down low and better fuel consumption sounds like a good thing. Oh, and quieter, lighter, with better tow capacity and increased carrying capacity as well. Triton will still be on my list, even if I like the look of the VW.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Nice Now,

Now that we know what is happening we should get back to looking at the positives of what is happening, decision is done. Lets enjoy seeing a new model come in and welcome all the new upcoming 2.5 members here.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:33 pm

It just adds another sub-tribe to the NewTriton species...

We have:
  • The PetrolHeads
  • The DiDers
  • The Easies
    and
  • The Supers

These always interbreed and we end up with all different sorts of racial mixes and soon we will have some new genes to add to the pool in the form of:
  • The BabyDiDers
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Mantis on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:48 pm

daryn wrote:Nice Now,

Now that we know what is happening we should get back to looking at the positives of what is happening, decision is done. Lets enjoy seeing a new model come in and welcome all the new upcoming 2.5 members here.

To put it bluntly, nope it's still shit, no matter how much you guys try and sweeten it up, it will never be the same.....

The only way forward for Mitsubishi and the Triton was to drop the Pajero 3.2 DiD donk into it....
Mantis

Postby tritionspecn on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Thats all good. New model, engine thingamagi up or down whichever way ya look at it, Longer deeper tubs, blah blah blah blah blah, what I would like to know is, and someone earlier had an expectant del date, what will I be getting and when???? I bought one early july, gave them my trade-in cos they slightly overpaid, was told early August, but I dont know what I will be getting

I ordered a GLX 2wd DiD all kitted up in supposedly the last make, but I just dont know :roll: :roll: :?: :oops: :roll: Spoken to my dealer but poor bloke is a few weeks behind newtriton.net ,lol, I better take it easy cos he is now on here! Like I mentioned earlier somewhere, I dont mind what I get, but will be needing it pretty soon as it is passing the expected time frame of delivery. Its not that I did not tell him, but two more weeks and then the freebies start rolling in! Was warned!! I just hope that its not late september when it might be coming with the new lot, then what should i do? new or old? I dont mind dropping the deposit but go for proven or try something new? Resale and all those things I am not fussed about, but as with all new model releases, updates there is always most certainly going to be issues getting it right? Time is not what I have to get things done right, not much paitence at moment.
:evil: :|
tritionspecn

Postby Camel Tow on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:24 pm

There are a few comments on here about dealers not having any 3.2 GLX-R's left in stock, I saw 2 x (Red Planet and Cool Silver) at Werribee Mitsubishi 3 days ago, both brand new, never rego'd.

Also heaps on CarSales.

Cheers
Camel Tow

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Camel Tow,

Welcome to the forum, so I am going to get straight to the point on this question, are you male or female ?.... :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby vroom on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Stu wrote:fingers crossed mantis, the 3.2 will be the update for the my12 :lol:

The way mitsi is going, my12 Triton will be a 2.0 litre t/d and the paj my12 will get the 2.5.

Maybe that is why Toyota is the best selling manufacturer, most of their t/d engines get bigger, the battlers like
mitsi and nissan get smaller t/d motor upgrades.
vroom

Postby snowman on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 pm

it doesn't matter how technically good the motor is.

if there is one thing about sales is that it is all about perception...........

both this and one other thread has seen all but a couple of guys indicate they would not want a smaller motor. i was one of these people as well. i am not sure with us blokes if our two bloody heads are fair dinkum connected and anything to do with size gets relegated to the basement brain for a decision but in any case Mits will cost themselves sales...no matter how good the motor is.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Why didn't they make the 3.2 an option for say an extra 2 grand :cry: I would have paid it :)
sam

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:26 am

sam wrote:Why didn't they make the 3.2 an option for say an extra 2 grand :cry: I would have paid it :)

With all the modifications the new motor would cost more than the old 3.2
They could knock a couple of thousand off and offer the 3.2 as a base model for those that don't need the extra power and economy.
sierra

Postby subi_man on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 am

I will judge this 2.5 engine on it's merits (or lack thereof) once it's been out for a while. I'm glad of my 5 year lease on my 3.2, and by the time I'm ready for an upgrade I think it will be clear whether the 2.5 is a good move or bad by Mitsubishi.

Like it or not, I think we will see many manufacturers opt for smaller and smaller engines as time goes by and our fuel resources become more precious. :?
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby King Triton on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:52 am

While i don't agree with size drop from 3.2 to 2.5 it is inevitable that all manufacturers will have to go the same way. There is so many restrictions on emissions these days that the car manufacturers have no choice but to down size to a more modern motor. No one is spending money on R&D to make larger engines anymore, the future is small super efficent low emission motors and then the future after that is electric, hydrogen & gas on their own hybrids.
One good out of this is if what i have heard is correct is this motor is standard overseas and has been around for a while, so it is a tried & tested motor. Mitsu are getting the jump on TOYOTA by dropping in size a few years before the others are forced to. Just think ahead Mitsu have had the 2.5 in australia for 2-3 years and it has proved it self to be a reliable motor, then toyota has to follow suit but with an engine that no one knows and does not want to trust, all of a sudden mitsu is in the better position and can offer a reliable car with a small powerful efficent engine for less money. I think this is a smart marketing move.
King Triton

Postby Stu on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:24 am

King, I don't think anyone would doubt a toyota motor's reliability and they've got the v8tt diesel in the cruiser and there's talk of a v6 diesel for the prado which would probably find its way into the hilux

Can anyone driving the current 2.5 answer a couple of questions?

Can you take off in second gear?
is there much turbo lag?

these are a couple of things that I don't like about the nissan 2.5
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:41 am

Yes I agree with Subi, think it is a sign of the times and we should all just wait and see how the new MN performs.
I don't have a huge positive feeling towards it but......
It has been in this guise everywhere else in the world, and I would hazard a guess it may be having less problems than the 3.2.
Without wanting to cause trouble :) , when I first heard about the 2.5 my very first initial thoughts were - Yep, they got sick of fixing the 3.2's. Lets face it, great engines - not suited to emissions compliance.

We have worked out how to fix the 3.2 - block EGR at point of sale - and if it was me - put in mod chip and boost controller, but the manufacturer can't do this and keeps forking out $'s to re-flash, replace manifolds, de carbon etc, etc.

I think that has played a significant role...that and having one standard model world wide will significantly reduce costs (for Sierra).

daryn wrote:Where has the 180mm extra length in tray come from as the overall length has not changed ? Did rear passenger space get cut ?

It is all overhang mate I have been led to believe. However like the engine debate, I don't have a problem with that - if it is taken into consideration when loading.
I will be ditching my tray (Triton has a pretend tray) and bolting on the new one because I need something that holds a shovel length wise. Anyone with a bike or uses the car for work etc will I think be in the same boat.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby golden on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 am

sam wrote:Why didn't they make the 3.2 an option for say an extra 2 grand :cry: I would have paid it :)

RTA also has the TMR Triton listed on the 30/06/09 with a 3.2, so we may still get the go fast 3.2 but as the TMR model only and maybe only 10-20k more.

http://ols2.rta.nsw.gov.au/rvd/searchRV ... Value=view
PB Challenger MY12 Auto 4WD
VR 06 2008 3.2TD Auto - Gone
MQ Patrol - Play Truck
golden

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 am

Stu wrote:

is there much turbo lag?

It's easy to take off in 2nd gear, so easy I do it more than I should. You don't have to abuse the clutch because it's a very flexible motor[especially with the EGR blanked off] If it will roll forward, even slightly, when I let off the brake I always grab 2nd and if I want to get away fast.

Turbo lag is minimal compared with the only other turbos I've had, a GSR Lancer and WRX.
It's a tiny turbo and the lag shows up most in first where you wouldn't normally use it. If you pull out across another road and have to stomp on it because you misjudged the timing it can seem an age before it boosts and then you have to back off fast because it's insane in 1st gear. Then again time slows down when you think you're about to die so It's probably insignificant in reality.

I would assume the new turbo will be bigger to provide the higher boost and the variable vanes should keep it flexible and reduce lag. The combustion chamber mods will be to increase their capacity and reduce the compression ratio to compensate for the higher boost.
Hopefully the new injection mentioned will be more complex than just adding more fuel/throttle and result in a cleaner more efficient burn so they can toss the EGR in the bin where it should go anyway.
sierra

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:00 am

This will help put things in perspective!
Check out this ML 4x4 double cab coming out of Thailand and note it's got the 2,477cc diesel without the turbo.
57kw @ 4,300rpm and 150Nm at 2,500rpm
Now you would need to keep the revs up in this model but we all know it will still do the business, eventually.

http://www.bukkehave.com/product%20Mits ... 68-46.aspx
sierra

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Stu wrote:

is there much turbo lag?

Just got back and tried pulling away in 3rd on idle only on the flat. No problem and it was soon idling along at 650rpm but it didn't like the transition from 650rpm with very light throttle so I slipped the clutch up to 900rpm and it was away.
I assume the 3.2 can do the same but more easily?
sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News