MN Review - The Motor Report

Triton in the media

MN Review - The Motor Report

Postby Etoile on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am

Etoile

Re: MN Review - The Motor Report

Postby jop on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:42 am

Those photo's were taken at crystalvale 4wd park, sounds good but it does look extra long now :?

Sounds like someone on here wrote that article after reading about our concerns posted in the 2.5 thread ;)
jop

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 am

:lol: :lol: It sure does.

Good to read though and hopefully continues to get those kinds of remarks.

Whats with the stereo up where the useless computer is and the hole where the stereo used to go? Better or worse for the double din and car PC guys?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:36 am

I'm one of the guys behind The Motor Report and a huge ML 3.2-litre diesel fan... Unfortunately I was on holidays when the MN was launched late last week in Byron Bay (for the east coasters) but Tim has assured me that it is a really...really good drive.

For me the jury is out until I get a test drive myself (the big concern for me is torque just off idle for crawling) but Tim knows the ML Triton well, likes them immensely and is adamant that the MN is an improved package. From what he has told me it is quieter, more refined, smoother and more 'car like' drive.

Dash layout solves the problem of placement for a UHF Unit as well....

Good news in general for Triton fans I think.

Having said that, I prefer cubic inches, I prefer the look of the shorter ML tray and I want my truck to sound like a truck, so I'll be hanging onto my GLX-R 3.2 thanks. No dealer is going to be getting my keys...! :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Good article - I'm looking forward to test-driving one at some stage soon to form my own opinion 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I thought it had to be someone associated with the ml, the article was very well written and answers most questions a ml owner wants to know about the new model.

I'm still undecided, swaying towards it slightly - i will test drive it before making my mind up.

The rear tray is too long for me - but i will be definately going a custom steel tray on my next ute anyway.

I agree with steane - low range crawling would be my test as well, but the places to test the low range stuff, close to the dealers are fast disappearing.

The prices are a worry though :?
jop

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Really good article, a few weird things though..
- It remains a 4 star vehicle with more airbags? How does that work? The biggest change from from the MK to the ML (2 to 4 stars).
- Not enough interior photos. Is the integrated arm rest as useless as the "arm rest" in the ML? I suppose I could go and look at MMAL's website, but I'm lazy...
- Is it the same 2.5 set-up the Europe has had? Or is the HP version new?
- It's lost it's Ton rear tray capacity? Tradies won't like that for tax reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong.
- Same ratios as before for the manual? I've always thought 5th gear was too short for 110 kmph
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm

jop wrote:I agree with steane - low range crawling would be my test as well, but the places to test the low range stuff, close to the dealers are fast disappearing.

ARB have a crawling hill at Acacia Ridge. Might be worth trying Motorama at Marooka and teeing a quick run over the hill with them?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Ah - homer to the rescue 8-)

Jits. i know they don't have to be exactly 1 tonne for tax reasons, just have government approval.
But the new one might be a stretch, especially the auto :o
jop

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:15 pm

jop wrote:Ah - homer to the rescue 8-)

Jits. i know they don't have to be exactly 1 tonne for tax reasons, just have government approval.
But the new one might be a stretch, especially the auto :o

There is a calculation based on the passenger numbers and payload. Something like payload has to be 1/3 higher than passenger mass, where a passenger is rated at 75kgs (very sketchy memory but all actual data available on the Govt ATO website)
there will be no problem until the payload gets down to around 700kgs (navara scraps in)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Jitsukablue wrote:- Is it the same 2.5 set-up the Europe has had? Or is the HP version new?
- Same ratios as before for the manual? I've always thought 5th gear was too short for 110 kmph

Different set up to the European high power version.

Diff is taller, by about 5%, than the 3.2
:)
sierra

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:25 pm

sierra wrote:
Diff is taller, by about 5%, than the 3.2

To try and make up for the smaller capacity engine and needing to rev (get on boost) to start moving.
Been through this with the work nissan patrols, the smaller engine went heaps better on road but off road engage low range before thinking rock hopping.

I now have a few items which the new MN is going to supply for my ML.
looking for the first write off (maybe those they tested on the salt pans??? :o )

1. front grill off the lower spec (looks like a pajero grill - bling
2. front seats- not that I find anything wrong, but some adjustability would be nice- or maybe get some leather GLS seats
3. centre radio surround- minced mine up fitting a 2 din unit in there, which still suffers from glare- looks a better option even though it does not sit flush.
4. rear diff with factory diff lock and lower gearing, all the better for turning 33" tyres
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:44 pm

4wd26 wrote:
sierra wrote: Diff is taller, by about 5%, than the 3.2

To try and make up for the smaller capacity engine and needing to rev (get on boost) to start moving.
4. rear diff with factory diff lock and lower gearing, all the better for turning 33" tyres

No taller, as in higher gearing, lower engine revs.
3.2 with alloys was 4.1 is now 3.917 for 2.5HP same 5th gear ratio.
3.2 GLX manual was 3.917 is now 3.692 for the 2.5HP but the auto GLX is 3.917 same as before because of the lower torque.

Confusing to say the least but higher gearing to match the higher torque makes sense.
You don't need to rev the normal 2.5 to boost rpm to pull away, it's happy on idle and 1000 is enough normally so I'm sure the 400Nm version will be even happier and that's why it has higher gearing than the old 3.2
:? ;) :)
sierra

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Sorry got confused and automatically assumed lower gearing due to whats available on the 2.5 engine overseas.
L200Rus64 wrote:

giancarlo93 wrote:The dealership here doesnt give you the option of the factory locker.
We have 5 models of tritons here.
The 2.5 diesel version comes with a 4.66.
The luxury 3.2 diesel comes with a 4.11
The V6 comes with a 4.30
and the other two models I dont remember what they have.
I dont needed, but I am looking at junkyards in case I find a total loss triton with 4.66 I will get it for my truck.

Did you now a part number 4.66? I never seen this in any catalogs :((
In russia we have only 3.9 and 4.11 :oops:

Do you know if the transfer ratio has been lowered? be a bitch going down a hill with ratios like that....

Sort of explains the low fuel consumption though, be interesting towing, better hope the torque is there (and usable like the figures show) or you'ld never see 5th
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby tryhard on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Guys

I currently have the ML Triton VR 5 speed manual 3.2TD.

Just drove the MN 2.5 5 spd Auto GLX-R today and bought one immediately (motivated a bit by Mr Rudd's 50% generosity). I think it really is that much better to drive, way more car like as someone said - went an auto this time because mostly driving round town, shame about the loss of torque compared to the manual but laziness won out on the day :)

The good things I thought were :
- Cabin noise is minimal
- Drive is very car like
- Seats are at least 199% better than the ML's
- Sports shift possibly useful to ease the boredom of an auto :)
- 5 speed auto a great idea
- Increase in power is more than noticeable
- Steering wheel controls a bit more modern than the old cruise control, and nice to have remote stereo controls
- the computer display is now at least bearable to look at and doesn't look like an old Sega computer game
- the increased height in the tub looks like a great idea
- If the last model won 4WD awards this one should blitz it, unless the competition comes up with something pretty bloody good

Bad / not so good -
- I'm gonna nickname mine J-Lo 'cos that is one big ar$e overhang it's got ! (Like J-Lo, still looks fine, but I bet a few things bump into it ;-) )
- The sports bar on rear looks like an afterthought cos there is nothing under the base of the bar - it's kind of bolted into the side rail and juts into the tub - no real biggie I spose
- Rest of the interior isn't much of an update compared to the previous

If I was a serious off roader I would definitely be getting a custom tray to sort out the departure angle, for me I'm going to put a towbar on just to provide a first line of defence :)

For the first time ever I was convinced to buy something from the aftermarket chick (tint the front windows) because while they always look nice, this one was as much of an improvement over the previous model as the MN is to the ML ;-)

I'll post something about early driving experiences if no one else does first (but I don't get it for a few weeks so I reckon someone will beat me to it)

Cheers
Carl
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm

4wd26 wrote:
The 2.5 diesel version comes with a 4.66.

Did you now a part number 4.66? I never seen this in any catalogs :((
In russia we have only 3.9 and 4.11 :oops:

Do you know if the transfer ratio has been lowered? be a bitch going down a hill with ratios like that....

Sort of explains the low fuel consumption though, be interesting towing, better hope the torque is there (and usable like the figures show) or you'ld never see 5th

I get them confused too.
Like the guy in Russia I've never seen a 4.66 diff listed for a 2.5 only the 3.917 and 4.1 Must be with a different gearbox or it wouldn't be viable?
The difference in gearing is only 5% higher which is about the same as the bigger wheels provide.
Low ratio is the same.
The better fuel consumption is more likely the result of the more efficient engine than 5% higher gearing I would have thought?
:? :)
sierra

Postby Stu on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:47 pm

sierra wrote:The difference in gearing is only 5% higher which is about the same as the bigger wheels provide.
Low ratio is the same.
The better fuel consumption is more likely the result of the more efficient engine than 5% higher gearing I would have thought?
:? :)

[censored] that overhang is over the top, what happens to the gearing offroad when you fit 33" tyres? it'll like to run away downhill
I'll be on the lookout for a wreck to get a few bits though
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby sam on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 pm

No taller, as in higher gearing, lower engine revs.
3.2 with alloys was 4.1 is now 3.917 for 2.5HP same 5th gear ratio.
3.2 GLX manual was 3.917 is now 3.692 for the 2.5HP but the auto GLX is 3.917 same as before because of the lower torque.

Confusing to say the least but higher gearing to match the higher torque makes sense.
You don't need to rev the normal 2.5 to boost rpm to pull away, it's happy on idle and 1000 is enough normally so I'm sure the 400Nm version will be even happier and that's why it has higher gearing than the old 3.2
:? ;) :)[/quote]

Unfortunately this ( 3.917 ratio down from 4.1 ) will only compound the problem for off road use as they have retained the 1.9 to 1 transfer ratio especially in the manual :( then if you go bigger tyres eg 265/75 or 32" I think it may struggle in slow rocky hilly terrain with less grunt off boost.
Remember this is exactly the reason that Nissan went for a 6 speed manual in the D40 Navara to gear it low enough in 1 st low range.
Would be almost a non issue with the 5 sp auto I would think so just a pity they derated the Nm's to 350 :roll:
sam

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

sam wrote:
Unfortunately this ( 3.917 ratio down from 4.1 ) will only compound the problem for off road use as they have retained the 1.9 to 1 transfer ratio especially in the manual :( then if you go bigger tyres eg 265/75 or 32" I think it may struggle in slow rocky hilly terrain with less grunt off boost.
Remember this is exactly the reason that Nissan went for a 6 speed manual in the D40 Navara to gear it low enough in 1 st low range.
Would be almost a non issue with the 5 sp auto I would think so just a pity they derated the Nm's to 350 :roll:

It's got 200Nm at 1,000rpm and 350Nm by 1,500rpm[manual and auto]
Click to view larger picture
That compares with about 210Nm at 1,000rpm and 280Nm by 1,500rpm for the 3.2
Mine has 200Nm at 1,000rpm too which makes sense as it's off boost and about 270Nm by 1,500rpm

So all 3 diesels make virtually the same torque at 1,000rpm according to the official Mitsubishi dyno charts.
I doubt it's much different from 650rpm to 1,000rpm but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating not that it matters for my 4x2 use.
:roll: :D
Last edited by sierra on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sierra

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 am

Sounds like there's gunna be some punchups at the wreckers soon. I can just see a youtube clip of two Triton owners playing tugowar with a front seat - with the obligatory..'break his nose Bazza' and "keep your head up Beryl".

Come to think of it I would be sus on buying an MN for a bit 'cause there seems to be a few people death riding them waiting to get some spares.

I've been considering speeding up the parts availability myself....... so if you see a dirty white V6 with flapping tonneau racing up behind you.......put the foot down and use those extra ponies!!!

What suburb did you say you were in Tryhard?? :lol:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:58 am

Homer wrote:What suburb did you say you were in Tryhard?? :lol:

Um, Outer Hidesville ;-) I am googling for seat booby-traps as we speak ...
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Return to Triton News