Anyone actually go there MN triton yet ?

Triton in the media

Re: Anyone actually go there MN triton yet ?

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:07 pm

sierra wrote:Just noticed you've got pics in your shed already. Looks great apart from those wheels and tyres.
You need to replace those with much bigger ones for the trip to the shops and seeing as how I mentioned it, the least I can do is to take them off your hands for a reasonable price and hope they look alright on mine? :? ;) :D

Yours has the limited 350Nm of torque spread over 2000rpm like a table top so it shouldn't be peaky but perhaps feels that way in comparison to the normal diesel[and the manual 2.5HP] where torque peaks much earlier than the kw power end.

Will keep you in mind for the wheels mate :) (doubt the missus is gonna let much else get taken off/replaced - I think the Lightforce's were enough to give her heartburn ...)

Yeah I reckon my impression of the 2.5 is lack of experience with anything other than the 3.2 in a manual, and I'm getting lazy so maybe never booted the manual as hard as I could've :)

The Hyundai figures look impressive ... I think my next one will be the VW though, in a few years after a few VW updates, if it still gets decent reviews ... http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z158 ... ncept.aspx
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:56 pm

tryhard wrote:The Hyundai figures look impressive ... I think my next one will be the VW though, in a few years after a few VW updates, if it still gets decent reviews ... http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z158 ... ncept.aspx

Looks good. This is the VW I would buy[yeah, the dogs wont fit, wouldn't be allowed to even lick it if it was mine]
Always liked the Scirocco in my youth and the new R version makes the Golf look boring. Think it's cheaper too?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/20/vide ... the-track/
8-)
sierra

Postby Naff on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

I put my UHF unit where you put your speaker/mic. mounted on an angle. Speaker/mic just mounted on a lower part of the dash. It's not the best position if you were constantly changing channels and messing with it - but how many times do you do that when driving?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:55 am

ok blokes found one other thing on the 'slight dislike' list - it's got a buggar of a flat spot taking off in first, which has caught me out at the odd intersection and roundabout. Maybe not so much a flat spot, it could be the engine trying to get enough legs to pull 2 ton onto the road till the turbo kicks in. It might also be because I'm not used to an auto - would like to try a manual to see if it feels the same ... but I think I used to ride the clutch a bit in the manual ML, it never had a worry taking off... anyway with the MN a couple of seconds after planting the foot the thing bolts off like a scalded cat, but it's those first 'life flash before your eyes' secs when on a busy roundabout that keep you interested .... keen to see if anyone else thinks the same when they drive the auto ...
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:01 am

NaffX214 wrote:I put my UHF unit where you put your speaker/mic. mounted on an angle. Speaker/mic just mounted on a lower part of the dash. It's not the best position if you were constantly changing channels and messing with it - but how many times do you do that when driving?

Looks solid mate ... my missus has already kicked the sh*t out of the mic. so I wouldn't let her near the unit itself, but she is kind of all legs (well not all, there's a couple of other good bits as well) ... still wish Mitsu. thought a bit more about accessories and space for 'em .. but can't have everything

On the ML I managed to fit a Uniden unit about the size of yours into the section below the cig lighter by cutting out the plastic, but in this new model they stuck the rear window switch in the way :(
---

tryhard

Postby Homer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:27 am

:idea: Can you move the switch back to where it used to be maybe?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:30 am

tryhard wrote:ok blokes found one other thing on the 'slight dislike' list - it's got a buggar of a flat spot taking off in first, which has caught me out at the odd intersection and roundabout. It might also be because I'm not used to an auto - .

Easily fixed in an auto I would have thought?
Try left foot braking and give it a bit of throttle just before you let the brake off. That should load it up and make a lively take off when you let the brake off and give it more juice.
8-)
sierra

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:57 am

sierra wrote:
tryhard wrote:ok blokes found one other thing on the 'slight dislike' list - it's got a buggar of a flat spot taking off in first, which has caught me out at the odd intersection and roundabout. It might also be because I'm not used to an auto - .

Easily fixed in an auto I would have thought?
Try left foot braking and give it a bit of throttle just before you let the brake off. That should load it up and make a lively take off when you let the brake off and give it more juice.
8-)

yes, if you dont go down the chip path etc. do exactly this. don't make a habit of it - just when you really need to. when i really need to i give it plenty of brake and hard throttle - let her go and she jumps out of the hole. again not something i would advocate at every intersection but on those occasions you need to.... ;)

tryhard wrote: ... my missus ...............is kind of all legs (well not all, there's a couple of other good bits as well) ...

and you are complaining!!!!!! :shock: radios are soooo replaceable i wouldn't lose too much sleep on this one..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:57 am

Stall converter?

If you just plant the foot does it launch hard without noticeable lag?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boycee on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:59 am

there are heaps going into various yards over here atm. :o
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Homer wrote:Stall converter?

If you just plant the foot does it launch hard without noticeable lag?

there's a fair lag mate - a couple of seconds I reckon then the turbo seems to kick in pretty strong ... I'll go and do some more road testing 'cos I had the family in the car the last couple of trips ... not the best time for me to try to blow up the auto :)

I'll try a couple of runs using you guy's suggestion of loading it up under brakes too, carefully :p - but I'm thinking maybe there is some adjustment needed because it seems a bit too obvious ...
---

tryhard

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:12 pm

tryhard wrote:I'll try a couple of runs using you guy's suggestion of loading it up under brakes too, carefully :p - but I'm thinking maybe there is some adjustment needed because it seems a bit too obvious ...

I would assume the big turbo is coming on boost at lower revs because the variable vanes are angled hard over to get the max thrust from the low exhaust pressure. That new efficiency means the transition from zero boost to max boost is going to be much faster too. Max boost can also be controlled by the guide vanes so it might not even have a waste gate? You might just have to get used to it, all that power and efficiency comes from the high tech turbo and the gap from zero boost has just got a lot wider. They might have to copy the VW 1.4 petrol next time and fit a super charger to boost the 650 - 1500rpm range?
8-)
You could pop the bonnet and check the clamps on the hoses from the compressor to the inlet manifold are all tight enough.
Don't forget the intercooler. Just a thought.
sierra

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm

watching me trying to find my way round a turbo and intercooler should be funny .... if I record it and win Funniest Home Videos I'll share the prize with you blokes :lol: . Changing the oil it seems is about the limit of my skills ...
---

tryhard

Postby tritionspecn on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 pm

ITS HERE!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!
The longest wait for a Triton!!! By default one was ordered in late June and delivered 9th of November.
Ok Ok Ok, am over the bitchin over the wait. :shock:
Now talk about the car!!!
First little drive about the new Triton. Its a bit unique that a diesel motor can crank so quickly!!!! WoW.
But one thing I might say and just put out there. Having driven the Triton with just two passengers, the motor does feel ok. And maybe load it with double that I think the motor will still be ok, add some more kgs I think the motor will still be ok but just feeling it a tad, but I will hold off from saying that it will be ok or as good as the 3.2 DiD in the ML, Never drove one but I will and want to see when I have loaded it up with well on the limit to see how the motor will go. I am going to be fair here, maybe some others, like tryhard, can help out with what I might be saying.
Drives very very car like, and the auto is very smooth indeed. Inside the cabin, its very comfortable, but you can hear the turbo go off a little, possibly my driving style and will need to work out the optimum driving style.
Am ahppy as punch!! Finaly got my Triton and will be looking forward to doing some exciting stuff. Will do my best to keep informed!
Cheers. :D :D :D :D
tritionspecn

Postby subi_man on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:17 am

Congrats mate 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Mongo on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeh congrats mate I bet you cant wipe that smile off your face, we have had our ml for about 5 months now I still have that smile on my dial :D Very keen to see how these new mn hp 2.5's tow a decent load hopefully they kick arse. Have fun and enjoy, look forward to checking out some pics in your shed 8-)
Mongo

Postby tryhard on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 pm

tritionspecn wrote:maybe some others, like tryhard, can help out with what I might be saying.
Drives very very car like, and the auto is very smooth indeed. Inside the cabin, its very comfortable, but you can hear the turbo go off a little, possibly my driving style and will need to work out the optimum driving style.

Mate I don't think I'd make a motoring writer 'cos I keep changing my mind ... :) ... this thing (ML) is way more car like than the last model on bitumen roads and that's where I spend most of my time. Have driven for a week and a bit and there are times I really can't believe this is a 2.5 litre DIESEL engine pushing 2 ton around ... the ability to wind up is truly unreal as far as my experience goes (closest I had was a Mazda RX-7 Series 2 a decade ago, but that didn't have a 5 yr warranty for good reason). OK it's not really rotary screaming but it is a peaky beastie :) (it doesn't rev to 9,000 RPM for a start)

I didn't go off road much in my ML but my feeling is the MN isn't the towing / full on 4WD grunty type pig the 3.2 was. For my needs, the ML has breathed new life into the trip down the shops, and I am sure it will scare a few sandhills, but I reckon I would be doing a few test trips before towing a big camper round Cape York. Having said that, I want to take mine on a decent run somewhere because it is a damn relaxing drive getting there :)

The only gripe of any substance at this stage is a lag in first gear on the auto trying to take off at intersections. I called the dealer and will get one of their techs to drive it to see if I have a point. Still loving it at this stage ... I always said a week with J-Lo's rear assets would make me a happy man and Mitsubishi has delivered :)
---

tryhard

Postby tritionspecn on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry about the delay, Been busy and away from pc and all. Well have had it just over a week, and my driving style has improved just a little but still getting to know the car. Thanks for the well wishes, wait has been worth it for sure, still over kill for now but am planing a trip in the new year. Kids love it and I tell you what, Heaps of bloody room in back seat for a 6,4 bloke. Also plenty of room in the back tray too..... :lol: .

First is still a bit of concern, bit of lag, but only when you need that quick takeoff. Engine is a bit revey still, but like i said i loaded it up with five people plus some load in back and i truely belive it rides even more car like, plenty of brakes to boot, the engine has the pull too. Aloth smoother loaded, not strugle is the word. Auto box is awsome. Very impressed with it.
Cheers
tritionspecn

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:39 am

Yeh I agree that my MN auto (4 days old) is a bit sluggish from a standing start. But the acceleration in 2/3/4/5 gears is strong.

Mind you, I should note that my other car is a 3.6L, V6, 220kw, AWD, dual clutch German design with 18 inch rims. So I was thinking that my benchmark might have been a little unfair! :lol:

Nonetheless if others are feeling the same then perhaps it is not just me.

Other small gripes - being VERY picky here -

Horn = sounds like Road Runner - lame
Sun visor = blocks nearly 1/2 your vision when pulled down
Dash = No room for a standard CB
Overhead sunnies holder = too small to fit my sunnies
Seats = mmmm...if they are better than the ML then I'd hate to ride in the ML!
Radio = preset buttons are hard to see while driving. They are all flush with the face plate and need a little texture or dot so you can feel them with out looking.

I am being pretty fussy here. Over all I am stocked with the package!

It is fit for purpose and was never intended to be a race car.

Cheers
MN GLXR

Postby subi_man on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Good feedback guys - please keep us up-to-date with your thoughts and experiences 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Another point.

The Mitsu tow bar sits low in the ar$e and reduces the departure angle even more.
MN GLXR

Previous

Return to Triton News