Anyone actually go there MN triton yet ?

Triton in the media

Anyone actually go there MN triton yet ?

Postby revhead on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Anyone else actually taken delivery of there's yet ?

I'm told mine is due to arrive this friday, wont hold my breath however,

Cheers

Mick
revhead

Re: Anyone actually go there MN triton yet ?

Postby ag9111 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Mine is landing in the country on 1st Nov then into the delivery system from hell.

Dealer said expect two weeks
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rick on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 pm

i saw one today in a car park looked shmick mate,love the front bumper and the swage line in the tailgate
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby tryhard on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:45 pm

I buckled and cancelled the diff lock option I had on order, and they reckon they can give me a gunmetal grey auto GLX-R next Mon / Tue (better than late january!) standard GLX-R with tint only added. I figured I would never actually use the diff lock (it's stuck in the city most of the time) and I'd probably need shocks and tyres to do a diff lock justice anyway ... so bog standard here we come, will let you know how she drives next week
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby boycee on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Noooooooo, another whitey going to the dark side. :o
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm

boycee wrote:Noooooooo, another whitey going to the dark side. :o

I know ... I'll miss my sensible panel-beatable white :(
---

tryhard

Postby Greedy on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 pm

tryhard wrote:
boycee wrote:Noooooooo, another whitey going to the dark side. :o

I know ... I'll miss my sensible panel-beatable white :(

Mitsi's won't miss your wallet for the extra $450. :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Greedy wrote:Mitsi's won't miss your wallet for the extra $450. :lol:

heh, yeah but $450 well-spent 'cos it means I can stop sharing one car with the missus :p
---

tryhard

Postby tritionspecn on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 pm

No Triton yet!!!! Been told two weeks for the past 6 weeks!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
The race is on!!! First one on here from melbourne other than me gets free Fish n' Chips!!!! Details to follow. ;)
I am now thinking that someone mentioned a bug in the system that was pushing back the tritons delivery. Sounds like it could be the cause.
tritionspecn

Postby Sambarhunter on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:07 pm

I was told mine will be here in 2 weeks I am not holding my breath its coming from Lilydale Mitsubishi
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Postby Naff on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

They had a fair few at Lilydale a fortnight ago Sambar.. that's just down the road from me - I'll have alook in the morning when I drop the missus off to the train station :lol:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sambarhunter on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 am

Cheers mate I have ordered a silver GL-R I hope you spot it mate
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Postby tryhard on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Finally took delivery today. (gunmetal GLX-R auto)

They are right when they say this 2.5 engine is a beast ... it's unbelievable. I see some unwitting speeding fines in my future :(

Spent the arvo (after stopping to lose some dough on the horse race) putting some lightforce 240 blitz's on the front (they're a bit bigger than I realised) anda started a GME UHF install.

A few things I noticed ...

a) They have moved the rear window switch to below the head unit just above the console, so there is no obvious place to put a UHF (I got a small GME and it fits between passenger seat and console, but runs the risk of being bumped when sliding passenger seat (there is a lot of slide on the seat so there is nowwhere you can put it that won't potentially get hit)

b) The pendant mounting of those lightforce spots on the nudge bar shown on the cover of a recent mag can't be done standard ... I guess they have a special fitting (they protrude fairly significantly if mounted the right way up (pics to follow)

c) I thought it was reasonably noisy in the cab ... not unbearable but definitely not car-like

But so far, definitely a nice ride.

Will take some photos of it when it's all in one piece :)

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby ag9111 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Finally, Whoooo, here they come
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

tryhard wrote:Finally took delivery today. (gunmetal GLX-R auto)
They are right when they say this 2.5 engine is a beast ... it's unbelievable. I see some unwitting speeding fines in my future :(
Cheers
Carl

Good to hear from the horses mouth Carl. It's been a while coming and I have to ask you on behalf of all the earlier sceptics, given the chance, would you swap the engine for the old 3.2 or do you think this one is more capable?
Can it still pull away on a hill with the small engine?
Do you have to hold it through the gears with lots of revs to keep up with the other traffic?
Do you think it's stressed and unlikely to last, even burst into flames like the Navara?
In low ratio crawling over rocks, will it have enough torque or will it have to wait for a 3.2 to help it over?

:shock: :? :twisted: :lol:

Sorry guys but I've been good and couldn't resist it after a a couple of glasses of wine. :roll:
sierra

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 am

Congrats Carl, Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and seeing some decent owners pics 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 am

sierra wrote:would you swap the engine for the old 3.2 or do you think this one is more capable?

to be honest I was happy with the old VR 3.2 manual but Mr Rudd's 50% generosity and the fact I wanted a 5 speed auto pushed me over the line :)

sierra wrote:would you swap the engine for the old 3.2 or do you think this one is more capable?

mate I'm about as mechanical as the average pole dancer, but this feels way more peaky/powerful to me

sierra wrote:Can it still pull away on a hill with the small engine?

I'll tell you after this morning - I live in a hilly area. When I drove it home yesterday on hills and flat all I recall is it felt 50% more powerful than my previous car (possibly new car buyer clouded judgement)

sierra wrote:Do you have to hold it through the gears with lots of revs to keep up with the other traffic?

Jeez I'd doubt it ... seriously this thing feels like it has more than enough power

sierra wrote:Do you think it's stressed and unlikely to last, even burst into flames like the Navara?

Mate I'm more likely to be stressed and burst into flames than my vehicle. The Triton has the usual 5 yr Mitsubishi warranty, so I'm not going to lose sleep over bursting into flames (but I'd never buy another Nissan after I had the D22 Navara which wouldn't deserve to warm it's tyres on the steam of a Triton's doo-doo.) I don't think you should make the mistake of lumping a Triton in the same pile as a Navara just becase of engine capacity, for a start the 4 star safety rating, power and torque, and engine and drivetrain warranty, and even the way the doors open and close, all give it an Angelina Jolie feel while the Navara is a Kerry-Anne Kennerley.

sierra wrote:In low ratio crawling over rocks, will it have enough torque or will it have to wait for a 3.2 to help it over?

No idea as I am a Toorak Tractor type fourby-er with the odd trip to the beach ... last time I crawled over a rock was on my hands and knees after a few litres of Chateu Cardboard :) (I don't think anyone driving the thing would suggest it lacks torque though, it definitely doesn't feel like it to me)

sierra wrote: Sorry guys but I've been good and couldn't resist it after a a couple of glasses of wine. :roll:?

Don't be sorry - that's the beauty of alcohol... you're allowed to act like a bit of a DH - (as my experience with Chateau Cardboard supports :)
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 am

subi_man wrote:Congrats Carl, Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and seeing some decent owners pics 8-)

Hi mate ... not sure how decent the photography is, but there are pics of the new vehicle im my shed now. I included where I had to put the UHF unit in case it helps others (or someone might have a better idea :)) and the location of the new rear window switch. I just used industrial strength silicone for the UHF and mic holder to save any holes in the plastic (which by the way seems a bit brittle, and easy to scratch ... so use plastic tools if you can)

Those lightforce spots look a lot bigger than I intended when I ordered ! :

Click to view larger picture\

They block a large part of the grill, I figure that could affect cooling (seem varying opinions whether they would or not) I was gonna hang them pendant style downwards (they look cool on the front of the 4x4 Australia mag recently) but the bar would need some mods - and maybe that would block the flow to the other cooling stuff down below (not sure, think the oil cooler is down there among other bits ?) Sorry, bit of a thread highjack ... maybe I should create a 'where to stick ya lights' thread if there isn't one ....

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby boycee on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 am

Love the big lights. 8-) I have had no cooling issues with mine so you should be fine. :D

Nice looking rig too.
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:54 am

ta Boycee :) "Cool" on the lights - thanks !
---

tryhard

Postby turto on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:01 am

Nice truck Carl,
I've got my Narva 225's mounted on the nudge bar of my ML and had no troubles with cooling
Turto,

Beer is Life
turto

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:03 am

Looks nice mate congrats. Must say it is strange to look in your shed and not see a white Trite :( haha.

I notice the auto has a sequential style shift option as well - certainly looks like the Paj setup :D

I noticed the rear window switch had changed in earlier pics. Not a fan of where it is now at all. I think the position of the switch in the ML is about as ergonomic and handy as any switch i've used for any function. Not that it is a big issue.

What is the difference with the console to force the switch move?

Enjoy your weekends that will now be taken up washing the car - welcome to the dark side ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks for the feedback Carl.
Dunno what happened to my first reply, must have hit the wrong button?
Looks good but most importantly, the engine is nothing like the picture being painted when the 2.5 news broke.
Might even be a few who raced out to get a 3.2 that are having second thoughts?
Top marks for adding a good laugh over breakfast, love that script! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sierra

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 am

hey guys

Thanks turto for the extra vote for lights ... I'll watch the temperature gauge just in case but in this weather you'd reckon it should run hot anyway (the onboard thermometer claimed it was 37 degrees at 10.50 am !

At Sierra's prompting I had a good drive of the thing (sadly mostly in city traffic) this morning and it definitely has poke, hills weren't a worry but I only had the 2 dogs in the back and don't even have a towbar yet, so no idea how it'll compare with some weight in/on the back. With the stereo on it took on the old quietness (I suppose I had never driven the last one without some music on :) Easier keeping 2 mad boxer dogs in the vehicle with the extra height in the tub now... which is a plus for me

I don't think you can compare the 2.5 and 3.2 side by side because this seems to have completely different dynamics. To a mechanical luddite like me, the 3.2 felt like driving a truck motor with lots of pull but took a while to hit it's peak, whereas the 2.5 feels like a high revving peaky thing (quite possibly not as good for some off road applications, but a shedload more fun to drive in traffic / highway. But it does feel a LOT more powerful to me ... whether that's by being overtuned at the expense of reliability might remain to be seen ? I never got the feeling I would need to tell a passenger to 'hang on' in the 3.2 but I reckon I might need to in this one :)

Homer seeing a dark Trite in the driveway let alone me shed, is enough of a shock ... it gets hot to the touch a lot quicker - nearly got 3rd degree burns this morning in this bloody summer heat :)

No idea what in the console would make the old window switch move (there is now an auxiliary 12V socket and Audio jacks in the centre box thingy, maybe that was something to do with it (I only had the VR last time so dunno what should be there) but yeah the dash and console is cluttered straight off the salesroom floor, so accessorising is gonna be a pain unless someone makes an overhead thing I reckon :( there is no logical spot for a UHF as shown in my shed pics.

So far upsides remain what impressed me at test drive - seats, power, comfort, general all round quality and apparent safety judging by the number of airbags (not looking forward to my first bingle - I reckon getting hit by all those bags might hurt !) The onboard computer screen is also a lot less "Atari" :p Also for fitting lights etc. all the grommets and fuses are in the same place as before, so it seemed easier this time.

if any downsides I'd say the interior plastics quality is a bit ordinary in places, no room for anything ex-factory inside, and it is like reversing the f*cking HMAS Sydney ! (I'm getting one of the rear view mirror reversing systems from this mob - http://thecarkitcompany-px.rtrk.com.au/ ... =SmartPark - (because there is nowhere to put another LCD screen in addition to the navigator on dash) - $589 installed. Will let you know if it helps !

Right, probably should stop stuffing around with the new ute and do some work :)
---

tryhard

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:43 am

Just noticed you've got pics in your shed already. Looks great apart from those wheels and tyres.
You need to replace those with much bigger ones for the trip to the shops and seeing as how I mentioned it, the least I can do is to take them off your hands for a reasonable price and hope they look alright on mine? :? ;) :D

Yours has the limited 350Nm of torque spread over 2000rpm like a table top so it shouldn't be peaky but perhaps feels that way in comparison to the normal diesel[and the manual 2.5HP] where torque peaks much earlier than the kw power end.
With yours it's constant torque[booting it] from 1500rpm but increasing kw up to about 3500rpm which would feel good on the road.

Things are still moving fast in the diesel world.
Have a look at the new Kia/Hyundai 2.2 compared to the 2.5HP and it seems almost underpowered already.
Hyundai make good engines.
The Sorento weighs more, yet it's smaller engine delivers more power and 20% lower fuel consumption.

2.5HP Triton manual 5sp 131kw @ 4000rpm 400Nm @ 2000rpm 8.3L/100km Kerb weight 1841kg
2.2 Sorento manual 6sp 145kw @ 3800rpm 436Nm @ 1800 - 2500rpm 6.7L/100km Kerb weight 1929kg

Those figures would be good for a blown 2.2 petrol motor let alone a diesel!
8-)
sierra

Next

Return to Triton News