NM GPS DVD Version

Triton in the media

NM GPS DVD Version

Postby jasduf on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:50 am

Can any provide the year and version for the MMCS GPS DVD gotta feeling mine was swapped out for an earlier version prior to delivery.

Thanks
jasduf

Re: NM GPS DVD Version

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:08 am

Mitsu are currently supplying Whereis 2008 DVD with new Pajeros. Should be the same for Tritons.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 am

It should be whereis version 15. My dealer gave my 14 but when I called them on it they replaced it with 15. Version 16 is apparently due out mid year (for the Mitsu branded one). I think 15 came out in about June 2008 (could be 09 but I don't think so) from memory. They seem to lag behind the official whereis/sensis maps by quite a while. Not sure what they're doing for all that time when they're customising the maps :?:

It says the version somewhere on the plastic cover. The version reported by the MMCS when the disc is in is coded/described differently - some numbers or something that don't make much sense. I can check mine tonight if you like and tell you what the screen says but if you have the plastic cover that should be all you need to check.

My experience of both versions though is that the Tom Tom GPS is a far superior product. I've been using them side by side for a couple of weeks and whenever they suggest different routes the Tom Tom route is better. Not sure about the other after market GPS.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jasduf on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks Cowboy and Now, I will chase the dealer on the weekend. I got lumped with ver 14
jasduf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:02 pm

well now I feel I am in good company :)

Cowboy Dave

Postby jasduf on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 pm

I decided to stay away from the Dealer as I cant stand dealing with the sales staff they have so I went the directly to MMA and here is their response

"We acknowledge receipt and thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Mitsubishi Triton.

We wish to advise that Version 15 mapping is the most up to date data available to us at this point in time. While we endeavor to supply this version to all vehicles factory fitted with the Mitsubishi Multi Communication System (MMCS), supply issues in Japan have restricted us from doing so in all cases.

Please confirm the current version of mapping supplied with your vehicle so we can investigate further. The Version 15 disc contains data current until January 2008 and as previously mentioned is the most current data we have available to us. If you have received Version 14 with your vehicle containing data from January 2007, we will try to assist with providing Version 15 as a gesture of Goodwill.

We can confirm that Version 16 data has been made available by our supplier WhereIs and we will be releasing the upgrade in the coming months.

Please note that mapping upgrades are not covered by the factory warranty supplied with your vehicle and for future reference will come at customer cost.

Thank you again for your enquiry.

Kind Regards,

Mitsubishi Customer Assistance Centre"
jasduf

Postby al coholic on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote: My experience of both versions though is that the Tom Tom GPS is a far superior product. I've been using them side by side for a couple of weeks and whenever they suggest different routes the Tom Tom route is better. Not sure about the other after market GPS.

I was talking to a bloke recently who had bought one of the el cheapo GPS units from big w and was fitted with Where Is maps. He claimed it way out performed his mates expensive GPS units when they were offroad, one was a Hema navigator and a Magellan i think. When the other units were lost and couldnt find the track, his cheapy with Where Is knew exactly where they were.

Has anyone tried the MMCS for offroad driving?????? Could be a real winner if it performs the same. :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby jasduf on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Tried up the Brindabellas and had no problems finding the road / track I was on, similar excursion up the snowys and same performance. Also had my phone with the latest google maps and they performed about the same, all in all the whereis maps seem decent we have them in our liberty in dash G{S and have never had problems except with out of date maps.

PS most map DVD's are able to be copied for backup purposes
jasduf

Postby jasduf on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm

MMA have replied again after I verified the version I have and they will be sending me version 15, so I guess I get to keep version 14, I hope it is compatible with my subi as its whereis version is 12 i think
jasduf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm

maybe it's not so much the maps as the navigation algorithms or something, it just gives stupid directions sometimes is all.

Cowboy Dave

Postby jasduf on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 am

Received version 15 by courier this morning :D :D
jasduf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 pm

result :D another forum victory

Cowboy Dave

Postby pickle on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 pm

al coholic wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:
Has anyone tried the MMCS for offroad driving?????? Could be a real winner if it performs the same. :D

I did have the MMCS in the XLS Challenger Mitsu gave me to evaluate. Had version 15 in it. Driving around the High Country with the sat nav running it did on occasions show tracks but no names with them. Some of the major ones were named but I would not be relying on them for navigation around that area. Maybe they should put a version of Windows Ce in them so you can run Ozi.
Dave
pickle

Return to Triton News