Petition on amendments to modified vehicle registration

Triton in the media

Petition on amendments to modified vehicle registration

Postby YogiOz on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 am

Clicky This
Last edited by YogiOz on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Re: Petition on amendments to modified vehicle registration

Postby Homer on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:09 am

Some questions for us slower members..

So what does this mean Yogi? If your vehicle is modified and with an Engineers Cert from say 2004, it must now re-comply with a 2010 spec?

How do they classify a modified car - do you have to fess up, or is there a separate inspection done each time - in QLD there is no vehicle inspection when renewing rego.

What do they do now if you have different wheels/tyre size/lift etc? Just pass it?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby YogiOz on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

Not sure how they classify a modified car Homer - maybe just those that have had to get an engineers certificate? There is no inspection for renewing rego in the ACT (if the car is less than 5 years old, one in five have to go over the pit), not sure for NSW.
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby al coholic on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am

They classify a modified car that is anything outside of their current guidelines...........so for us in NSW, 32's are illegal as they are larger than the 15mm overall diameter of the factory items.

It basically means that if your triton with a 50mm lift and stock rubber is due for rego next Monday, but the RTA wants to release new modification laws on Friday that state all vehicles can only have a maximum of say 25mm lift from factory specs...........you would then have to comply before your vehicle is able to be passed for a pink slip. :evil:

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it. But to the NSW government and the RTA........."What a great way to stop these young blokes hooning on our streets.......that'll solve the problem wont it" :roll: :? they seem to forget the fact we dont have enough police on the roads.......

This is all on the back of their failed attempt for the suspension and tyre size modifications this time last year. Their plan was to limit ALL vehicles to a maximum of 2" lower/lift. So you wouldn't have been able too put a 1" lift and 32's on a Triton, you would have been over the max 2" :roll:

I have signed the petition, but the only way to stop these idiots will be to vote Labour out of office in NSW at the next election............I dont think there is much more these f'wits can possibly stuff up in this state...............when talking politics, these modification laws for vehicles are pretty tame compared to some of the other crap they come up with.............. :evil:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 am

Fair enough, I signed it like the last stupid law change they were going to bring in...I guess you have to do something when faced with this sort of stupidity..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 am

al coholic wrote:I have signed the petition, but the only way to stop these idiots will be to vote Labour out of office in NSW at the next election............I dont think there is much more these f'wits can possibly stuff up in this state...............when talking politics, these modification laws for vehicles are pretty tame compared to some of the other crap they come up with.............. :evil:

i predicted to my family about 18 months ago that the next NSW state election will be the biggest landslide swing in modern australian politics. The recent by election in Penrith gave me some credibility here and now i have just put it in writing. :o :roll:

My kids will still be fixing their f*ckups and they are all under 10.

Stuff like this Al co just confirms they are right on track. It is going to be spectacular. In fact i am looking forward to our state election like a grand final day. if the Labour bloke tries to stuff a 'how to vote labour' leaflet in my face he will be lucky to get away with his life and certainly not his sense of humour. Mind you i vote late in the day so he might be gone by then anyway.......

end of off topic rant/

will sign the petition. Thanks Yogi.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 am

Unfortunayly voting Labour out at the next election wont stop these laws for being implemented. These laws are based on a national code of practice and the only thing we can hope for is a more sensible set of rules.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 am

I have to disagree mate.............there is only one state that has stopped the NCOP from being implemented in all states by now, and that is thanks to the RTA. They believe NCOP is not strict enough!!!

It is absolutely unfair to tax payers of this country who have an interest in modifying cars to expect them to do everything by the book as the RTA wants them too...............only then 2 years down the track to have the RTA want to change the rules and poor old Joe Bloggs has to do it all over again......

Changing rego laws will not stop hoons on the streets.............if they are out there doing the illegal stuff they do now, do they honestly think a rego check is going to stop them??? The only ones that this will effect is you and me who do mild modifications so we can venture out to some remote places and enjoy ourselves.

Snowman............if Labour somehow miraculously get voted back in, I am signing you up to help me find every person who voted Labour and give them a good arse whooping from two 6'4 blokes. I doubt there is even a die hard Labour supporter who can say this government has done the right thing by this state. :evil:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am

possibly true Garth but i think this state is worse than many others.

problem is (with ALL governments in my opinion) is they have forgotten who they are working for and are all super EGO wankers who want to 'imprint' some of their DNA on our already hugely over legislated nanny state for the years to come....

ok that's two rants in 4 posts.........sorry. :oops:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

^^^you'd be surprised, Al - some of the staunch union blokes at work are still having wet dreams over Brumby & Co so I'm sure you'll have the same up there...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am

al coholic wrote:Snowman............if Labour somehow miraculously get voted back in, I am signing you up to help me find every person who voted Labour and give them a good arse whooping from two 6'4 blokes. I doubt there is even a die hard Labour supporter who can say this government has done the right thing by this state. :evil:

i'm only 6'2" mate, but i'll be right behind you...... :roll: problem is some of them a REAL big. i think labour would beat liberal in a punch up. :lol: :lol:

actually that could be quite cool - i could see Kenneally going for the nuts of Farrey Obarrel though - but with a huge toothy smile.....

"Hi Barry :D take THIS" :o

[then immediately running her fingers through her hair incase a bit was out of place - not even a hint of panting in her breath either]
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

Damn you man................I have tried to stop myself having sexual thoughts about Christina Keneally.....now youve done it......I'll be back soon :oops:
al coholic

Postby kevin on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:02 pm

LOL - me too! :lol: see ya
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I've been trying to work out what this is all about and haven't found very much other than:

This is from the NSW ASRF June 2010 Minutes.

"What was discussed were the changes in NSW to MPV (Modified Production Vehicles) and ICV (Idividually Constructed Vehicles). The RTA are intending that soon all Modified Production Vehicles will have a FINAL inspection by the RTA;the Engineer will have to provide evidence to their approvals and the base for a Street Rod will no longer be apair of chassis rails and one cross member. The RTA believes that we are so close to being able to achieve ICV, with concessions on some of the ADR'S (Australian Desigin Rules) that this is the track we should consider. "

and:

Hi all..I have had email contact with the petitioner Mr Andrew McClelland in an attempt to find out some more details. His response is a little disturbing...

"The main reason for this petition is that the RTA has had meeting with Delegates from the Australian Street Rod Federation and have told them (even showed them a draft copy) of a new system. However they will not release this information, Hence the need for consultation. I will send out more information as I get it.."

The changes seem to concern hot rodders more than anyone else and there are a few mentions of VSI 50 which was delayed indefinitely last year but seems to have raised its' ugly head again, however I can find nothing official on it. There may be no real cause for concern for us, just yet.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I just got this email message from National MP Andrew Stoner on the NSW labour govt vehicle height proposals.

Haven't fully read them yet...but it is here if you want a look.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:08 pm

frig this is spooky... i read this and that same email arrives in my inbox :shock: (must have signed the same petitions hey...) :D

would be interested to hear Ultimates thoughts on all this (not the political banter) as they are following closely as well... its holding up my 3" lift FFS :x

//al co you can put my 6"2' behind you too ;) (but don't go getting any excited feelings.....) Keneally is a dog! you dirty man.... :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reeldreamer on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm

snowman wrote:possibly true Garth but i think this state is worse than many others.

problem is (with ALL governments in my opinion) is they have forgotten who they are working for and are all super EGO wankers who want to 'imprint' some of their DNA on our already hugely over legislated nanny state for the years to come....

ok that's two rants in 4 posts.........sorry. :oops:

Trust me in could be worse!! You could have Hard hat Anna driving your state into the ground!!! Higher fuel cost, rego and tolls! I think all pollies are crookes and have lost touch with the people :evil: . .....Where do i sign?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Tex wrote:^^^^^^She'd be happy to see you BG when you let her out of the boot :!:

:lol: :lol: love the mix of posts there well done :D ;)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

borngeek wrote:al co you can put my 6"2' behind you too ;) (but don't go getting any excited feelings.....) Keneally is a dog! you dirty man.... :lol:

I know that BG..........it was totally a gee up. Geeks take everything so literally.........geez :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go to know your behind me too......................actually just thought about that a little more...........i think your the dirty man now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Havent read that fully yet..........but im thinking with my truck at least......with the cuatom tray and aftermarket flares anyone would have a hard time proving how much of a lift i have in there (especially if i have it loaded with tools)...........as nothing will even closely relate to the measurements of a stock GLX-R for instance :D Good for me i spose....... :?
al coholic

Postby ultimate on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:19 pm

I haven't picked this completely apart, but from first glances it actually looks pretty good. It appears the RTA has finally taken on board a lot of the recommendations from the 4WD council, AAAA and the general public. It appears that a 50mm is still okay and just has to be owner certified. The owner certification is just a general declaration you make specifying that your trim height is no more than 50mm above standard. I also believe each suspension kit will have to be supplied with documentation from the supplier stating that the products are correct for the make, model and application of the vehicle. We have no problem with this and actually recommend it as it will stop a lot of the poorer quality products coming into the country through eBay and other internet sites.

According to the document; extended shackles are still not permitted and all suspension modifications through the use of blocks have to be engineered. Body lifts have always required engineering but depending how you read the document, it does suggest that coil spacers and leaf spring lift (or lowering) blocks have to be engineered.

It may be daunting for some people but the document actually looks pretty good. It's definitely come a long way since the first draft. 90% of four wheel drives on the road have a suspension lift of less 50mm and aren’t really affected. A good point though is that the RTA will still be allowing larger lifts to be engineered. I for one think it's a move into the right direction as the industry does need to be cleaned up a bit. At the moment there are a lot of products being promoted which are illegal, dangerous or poor quality. A common sense reform will hopefully improve the entire industry and make it safer for the general public. It should work well as long as it's well publicised and everybody understands the restrictions. Currently a lot of people are being fined for modifications they didn't know are illegal or require engineering. Hopefully this will educate a lot more members of the four wheel drive community. It will of cause be a pain in the neck to begin with but so everything the Government does.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby salt36 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:04 pm

^^^^ Agree totally Brendan, I read it start to finish and it does seem a common sense appraoch.

Regard to the self certified document, appears basically a free ticket for up to 50mm lift/lower with a peice of paper that the RTA will register.
The downside is that they will then introduce these mods to the road truama statistics and will then form an opinion/policy on the results once it is seen if the suspension mods are a contributing factor in accidents.
Lets hope not.

This doesnt affect me in VIC, however with most rules/regulations VIC roads follow the example of the RTA in due course and will no doubt affect me eventually.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I got the email today too, and read just the first page I think and I was already saying yippee, does seem more sensible.
daryn
Valued Contributor

NSW Suspension Modification Laws Revealed

Postby biggibbo on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:01 am

Hi All

Like alot of you I signed the petition regarding the proposed changes to Vehicle Modifications. Today I got the following email from Andrew Stoner (in red below)which details the new regs, Makes for some interesting reading.
Cheers
Gibbo

Dear aaron

This morning, I obtained a copy of the Keneally Labor Government's latest plans to introduce their long-feared harsh new vehicle suspension regulations.
A copy of Labor's latest VSI-50 regulation can be found here.

http://www.andrewstoner.com.au/images/s ... 50_Doc.pdf

I am in the process of going through the document and speaking with affected 4WDers and car enthusiasts.
Please email me and let me know what you think of Labor's latest vehicle height regulations.
Regards

Andrew Stoner
andrew.stoner@nationals.org.au
Last edited by biggibbo on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggibbo

Re: NSW Suspension Modification Laws Revealed

Postby borngeek on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 am

Hey Gibbo, yeah a lot of us signed the petition and got the email too yesterday.

We have continued the discussion here

I say the mods can merge this in for you ;)

BG :ugeek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Re: NSW Suspension Modification Laws Revealed

Postby biggibbo on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:18 am

Merge sounds good, Geez its hard to keep up with all the threads on this place!
biggibbo

Next

Return to Triton News