next gen triton news

Triton in the media

Re: next gen triton news

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 am

why do you want the biggest, or need 3500kg towing.

the niche is the same customers that have already bought the current triton

big interior, smaller (than some of the competitors) exterior, but still nimble (best in class turning circle) and 3100kg towing
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby koshari on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:41 am

4wd26 wrote:why do you want the biggest, or need 3500kg towing.

big interior, smaller (than some of the competitors) exterior, but still nimble (best in class turning circle) and 3100kg towing

Yep. In other words a "great wall"
As for class leading torque for weight. Who wants torque at 3k? I prefer it at 1600-2k
koshari

Postby Homer on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 am

You really have it ad against this new Triton Koshari don't you? Without driving or even seeing it? :?
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but what vehicle is?

Rangers blowing up left right and centre, Colorado's burning...FJ cruisers burning...

I will give this new car at least an open mind...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mattz on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 am

trouble wrote:Really who wants niche?
Personally I want the best in something. I thought the ML looked the best when I bought mine and was the best price.
I won't be buying a next gen triton, hanging onto the ML and upgrade my commuter bring on the 200 series LC!

Sorry Mitsubishi

Would you have bought one anyway? It sounds like you have been intending to buy a 200 series for a while.
Totally different vehicles and markets........try filling the back of the 200 series with mulch or firewood. :lol:
Horses for courses mate.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby trouble on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:42 am

Yeah I was anyway but would have been nice to see the "new" triton lead its class with the forth coming updated vehicle??
I would have and still may go and look and drive it, but sadly I don't think it will live up to "my" expectations re: towing and dust sealing in the tub, not to mention a small motor plus I don't need a vehicle to play off-road need more of a tourer with solid off-road capabilities.

Don't fill the back with wood or mulch anyway I use trailers for that so nothing will change there.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am

koshari wrote:
4wd26 wrote:why do you want the biggest, or need 3500kg towing.

Yep. In other words a "great wall"
As for class leading torque for weight. Who wants torque at 3k? I prefer it at 1600-2k

I gave the torque curve in the post above.
most of the torque is available below 1400rpm, and it drives like that, in fact it will drive from as low as 500rpm, pull away from 900rpm, and zoom when the turbo kicks in at 1400rpm.

the peak torque in the graph is 2400rpm, but it is still building over 400NM which was reached at 1400rpm that is more than the current triton at 1400rpm

so where you need the torque when towing etc in the 2000 to 2500 band, torque is building :mrgreen:

it is a very nice vehicle to drive, and very forgiving due to this characteristic.

go to the gallery for the full sized pic that you can see the numbers, they don't lie.....
http://publicgallery.stevenbowden.com/gallery/album02/IMG_2404?full=1
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby lachiem on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Wow, just seen the pricing on the motor report review
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/61410/ ... ot-too-big

$40990 for the GLS DC 4x4 is a big difference to the RRP for the MN GLXR when it was first released, about $7k less. I know they can be brought for a lot less now, but certainly shows Mitsubishi are serious about pricing the MQ in the middle of the market.
Click to view larger picture
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

All these new fat utes would be great for touring and towing until, you have to take on multistorey carparks in the cities or tight tracks in the bush.

The ml is a breeze in confined spaces, no more difficult than a Commodore, still large amount day possible.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Homer wrote:You really have it ad against this new Triton Koshari don't you? Without driving or even seeing it? :?

Rangers blowing up left right and centre, Colorado's burning...FJ cruisers burning...

on one hand you may be right about me being biased against the new ute on paper. 2.4l 5 speed auto just put it in a class that iam not intetested in.

At least volkswagon put an 8 speed auto behing their underpowered truck.

On the other hand I have no doubt that being 10k less than the bt/ranger platform they will march off the shop floor.

I think you overstate the ranger issues, after all the duratac 5 cylinder has a great heritage pulling thousands of overloaded transits round for a long time.

Mind you its no real shock the path mitzu have taken after seeing the transition from ml to mn.
koshari

Postby koshari on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 pm

RHKTriton wrote:
The ml is a breeze in confined spaces, no more difficult than a Commodore, still large amount day possible.

While I are generally happy with my ML I think its a bit of a stretch to compare it with a commodore in a car park. I had a vt commodore and it was no drama with regard to turning circle or to go head first into a parking bay. With the tritey its pretty much compulsaty to back into a bay to get in in 1 go.

Maybe the newer generation dunnydoors are harder however I havnt driven one to compare.
koshari

Postby viking shippy on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Who cares about the turning circle any way ...
once you've got the hang of a three point turn a four is easy....
I reverse into car parks when I can also...
Reversing camera is a necessity oh and GPS should help lessen the u turns..
My ml handles city and country with ease...
viking shippy

Postby snowman on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:23 pm

viking shippy wrote:Who cares about the turning circle any way ...
once you've got the hang of a three point turn a four is easy....
I reverse into car parks when I can also...
Reversing camera is a necessity oh and GPS should help lessen the u turns..
My ml handles city and country with ease...

sorry mate i have owned an MK and the ML was a godsend.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:04 pm

I find no dramas going in head first.

The tow bar tongue is the reversing sensor on these dual cabs, just nudge it up against the concrete walls. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 am

koshari wrote:
Homer wrote:You really have it ad against this new Triton Koshari don't you? Without driving or even seeing it? :?

on one hand you may be right about me being biased against the new ute on paper. 2.4l 5 speed auto just put it in a class that iam not intetested in.

At least volkswagon put an 8 speed auto behing their underpowered truck.

On the other hand I have no doubt that being 10k less than the bt/ranger platform they will march off the shop floor.

I think you overstate the ranger issues, after all the duratac 5 cylinder has a great heritage pulling thousands of overloaded transits round for a long time.

Mind you its no real shock the path mitzu have taken after seeing the transition from ml to mn.

I'm overstating them as much as you are understating them ;) There are owners out there that sold them within months of ownership. And not just engine issues....

I was just using that to point out reality rather than the grass is greener analogy based on a couple of photos and some spec sheets.

The same thing was done with ML's and look how well (often much better) they perform off road to many of their bigger more expensive and more "capable" competitors, including non DC vehicles.

All I was doing was offering a tempering of your negative opinion until the cars are tried and tested. I mean uttering Triton and Amarok in the same sentence is like :? Unless they've made the new Triton very similar to the VW, in which case, everything you say will bear fruition :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 am

I am disappointed with the news of the new utes on these grounds;
1. 3.6 gearing still seems tall (despite hearing great reports of low down torque)- for running 32's and maintaining fuel economy.
2. No super select and diff lock standard on all models 4x4- I am of the belief that the tradie/ FARMER version is one who actually needs it and would use it. As far as I am concerned MMAL has missed the boat here- could have been a game changer for them- again!
3. No 31's as standard- still have those shitty cheese cutters to keep their 'fuel economy' claims. :roll:
4. Still haven't learnt how to integrate the towbar with the rear step for better functionality and clearance angles. :evil:
5. Despite great reports of awesome weight/ torque ratios of the new MQ I think the new ute needed 450 nm torque to compete. Whilst I don't believe for a second that the ute "only" having 430 nm torque = less power/ towing/ driving ability (and apparently won't keep up with the others) I think the public do like their numbers and as such sales will affect it. The good thing here is that Ecutek exists :D .
6. Still has a loooong tub.
7. Poor factory ground/ other clearances.
8. That stupid looking drop off at the tail gate as the tail gate is lower than the sides.

Now for the great things that I like so far;
1. Looks good, less curvy, more muscle like :D
2. Seems like a better motor, gearboxes and driving experience, especially with that low down torque. 6 speed manual :D . Speaking of a better motor, timing chain :D .
3. Much better low gear ratio.
4. Interior looks simple, yet modern.
5. Much, much better NVH levels.
6. Sound like better aftermarket accessories as OEM available.
7. Pricing- I believe it sits well in the market. The GLS looks very appealing as far as 'back for your buck'.
8. Better oem suspension ride to start with.
Last edited by mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:06 am

I expect you might find most of these decisions are made with fleet and other commercial buyers in mind. Most of them are buying on price and don't need super select or diff locks and will buy many more of them than private buyers.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby koshari on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:14 am

Homer wrote:
I'm overstating them as much as you are understating them ;) There are owners out there that sold them within months of ownership. And not just engine issues....

Well Homeboy, the good news is (for me at least) iam not getting rid on my ML anytime soon so there will be plenty of real world evidence for both and other utes in the public domain before i pull the trigger again.

I mean uttering Triton and Amarok in the same sentence is like :? Unless they've made the new Triton very similar to the VW, in which case, everything you say will bear fruition :lol:

:lol: my mates got an Amarok, absolute POS, that will teach him for having his missus in hes ear when buying a vehicle.

meanwhile my boss just rang me quizzing me about buying a runout MN, i said, "no comment" ask Greg (the bloke we work with that has the lemon MN) , he replied i did and he said it was a heap of $hit. Hes obviosely tempted as he replied "i wont be towing or abusing it". said they were going GLRs for 30 and glx-Rs for 34.
koshari

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:02 pm

4d26's review was enough for me to ignore runout sales. In saying that, even after I test drive the MQ, I still think i'll be buying a Ranger
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:07 pm

I look forward to what you think especially driving them back to back
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:16 pm

I'll let you know for sure. I'm definitely keen to find out. I only have to wait until after I get married in October to find out- by then the new facelifted ranger will be out... Ill be waiting and watching (very closely) until then.
mIwoo

Postby jrs184 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
jrs184 wrote: the wheel base is shorter addressing turning circle complaints but probably adding jitter to the ride and hopefully not chassis rail fails

We already know, from specs released at overseas releases that the wheelbase has remained the same as the outgoing series and that this, together with a new steering system was introduced back in 2006 with the ML, to address the turning circle issues of the MK and prior series. What many were hoping for was actually an increase in the wheelbase which would have put the rear axle closer to the centre of the tub, improving load handling.

Yes that is true re the spec for the wheelbase, I read an earlier report stating the wheelbase was shorter and it did look to be with the body curve closer to the wheel arch , I am happily corrected that it appears constant with the current model...Any news on chassis strengthening to reduce the dreaded chassis collapse ...
jrs184

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Read through 4wd26's trip report. The chassis strengthening and other changes is covered in there.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jrs184 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:46 pm

mIwoo wrote:Mine has been a lemon, but for some reason, I still love my truck. Despite it giving me the shits when something else goes wrong, I still love it, for reasons I don't understand. Yeah, I too wish I had a ML. Now, I wish I owned a Ranger

A friend is on his 2nd gearbox, plus no car for 3 weeks, now the selector went again, this time only a few days off the road...
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm so glad that I could get into the ml vr when I could, it is the perfect size for my purposes, has a proven donk and enough frilly bits that are all a benefit.

Studying the various forums just highlights all the baggage of problems that seem instilled in the new techno stuff.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm so glad that I could get into the ml vr when I could, it is the perfect size for my purposes, has a proven donk and enough frilly bits that are all a benefit.

Studying the various forums just highlights all the baggage of problems that seem instilled in the new techno stuff.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News