next gen triton news

Triton in the media

Re: next gen triton news

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:49 am

The low range gearing is a interesting one in my opinion.

you are right 95% of the owners wouldn't even have selected low range- so those that do know what a benifit it would be. Problem is that it will never happen as Mitsubishi have alway had the same ratio.

It dosn't need to be super low.

Mind you don't go down the same road as the "Iam a rock" :roll: and do away with the low range transfer in order to save weight and think that a extra ratio or 2 in the auto box will be adequate.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:16 am

A "offroad pack" would be cool.

I really hope Mits sticks with their value for money strategy and price themselves well below the competition.
That is the main reason I bought a Triton over the competition.
Hilux were always known to be over priced, but the cost involved with a Ranger set a new benchmark in ridiculous dollars for a DC ute. :roll:

Like everyone else, I think the Pajero 3.2 is a minimum. The 2.5 has not worked out in any case, so expect there will be a change of direction there?
OR a whole new engine altogether being developed... To comply with Euro5 and MORE POWER. :twisted:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:07 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:The idea of an offroad pack has some appeal though. If they marketed a model with OEM extras like lockers, lower gearing, snorkel, winch bar, sliders, a bit of a lift and decent ATs from scratch we'd be lining up for it down the street.

This is absolutely correct. Well, for me anyway.

But, and it's a big but (no, not like the MN, that's a big butt :D ), the extras need to be the things that are really needed. What would be disastrous would be for the marketing people to get involved and sell a Triton with factory diff lock, aluminium bull bar, "Offroad" stickers, an esky in the back and an Akubra hat, then call it an "Offroad Pack". The key is to have a package that consists of the things that people really want/need/use in proper four wheel driving. Ask the experts, the people who use them, not the people who sell them.

The extras would need to be the things that people spend big money on to seriously improve the capabilities of the vehicle. Suspension with springs that don't collapse and shock absorbers that haven't been stolen from the screen door at home, slider steps mounted on the chassis not the body and capable of supporting the vehicle weight, a winch bar that actually improves approach angle and comes with seriously good lights, a locking front differential (because front traction is the weak point for all IFS vehicles), a transfer case that gave low range gearing which was equivalent or better than Toyota's, 265 LT construction tyres and decent AT tread (no reason why this can't be done when the Challenger already has them).

The trick here would be to market the package at a price which was less than what it would cost to do all this aftermarket, just like the rear diff lock has been. The pack really should be a very good profit maker for Mitsubishi yet people wouldn't mind paying the extra if it seems like good value vs the option of doing it through ARB and the like. The market isn't just Australia. There's plenty of potential in Africa, the Middle East, South America to make the volumes needed to have this successful.

Perhaps we're just dreaming but I really do believe that this kind of thing has the potential to satisfy a demand and make money for Mitsubishi while gaining a big advantage over the opposition. Isn't that what it's all about?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am

It's not that big a leap from special editions (fords wanky wildtrak) or tradies' versions. But like anything it would come at a cost. Definitely one for the drawing board though I reckon - and long range tanks, 12v outlets in the tray and back seat, room for a second battery under the hood... Ah I'm getting carried away now.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Thommo3337 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

Tyres people can buy after market no problems these cars are designed to carry loads beef up the chasis so u can in fact carry a load without damaging the chasis the car should be able to have all the bar work canopy rear bar tow bar heavy duty steps and be able to carry the 1000kg. tradies for which the car was intended would just about have them all over loaded once putting boxes and tools on the back. Suspension can also be done after market no big deal for the people that do want to go offroad as stated before the people that don't shouldn't have to pay! The chasis is definitely the weakest link and to increase it would be very minimal cost! My neighbors landrover probably sits higher without a lift than mine with a 2 inch lift. Bitif extra clearance wouldn't cost much if anything extra. The lower gear ratio wouldn't effect the people that dont use it and wouldn't cost any extra money to have it in their in the first place landcruisers had this 30 years ago why go backwards? And a 6th gear or lower revs at 120km would help everyone it is a pig on fuel when sitting on 110km or 120km. Would just wish they would improve the things that don't really cost them anything but make the vehicle so much better for other intended uses (4wd) then peoPle who wish to go 4x4 can add the bar work suspention upgrade etc as alot have dove with minmimal fuss instead of having tO pay $3000 to increase gvm $2000 on crawler gears. Make it more universally excepted a good base package to start from!
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Thommo3337 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

Nowforthefith it would be great for the offroad pack the way u mention only if it is the best stuff put together to save the person money instead of replacing after. Don't think they would because the after market bars and suspension snorkel etc that we have bought would probably cost more than to build the whole triton! I would be happy enough with just a good platform to build off and finish it off with your personnel choices such as tyres, suspension, bull bar, winch and canopy etc
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby sam on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Little birdy told me we have next to no chance of seeing the 3.2 motor back it would more likely be a new
euro 5 compliant power plant. :cry:
I asked them can't the 3.2 meet euro 5 and they reckon it depends on the market ( I guess comercial might be slightly diff ) but that the 3.2 was getting too old and I said yeah but it's still a flippin good motor and they agreed but it's still old . :?

Mentioned the low range and they said it was a valid point .
sam

Postby pickle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:The idea of an offroad pack has some appeal though. If they marketed a model with OEM extras like lockers, lower gearing, snorkel, winch bar, sliders, a bit of a lift and decent ATs from scratch we'd be lining up for it down the street.

This is absolutely correct. Well, for me anyway.

But, and it's a big but (no, not like the MN, that's a big butt :D ), the extras need to be the things that are really needed. What would be disastrous would be for the marketing people to get involved and sell a Triton with factory diff lock, aluminium bull bar, "Offroad" stickers, an esky in the back and an Akubra hat, then call it an "Offroad Pack". The key is to have a package that consists of the things that people really want/need/use in proper four wheel driving. Ask the experts, the people who use them, not the people who sell them.

The extras would need to be the things that people spend big money on to seriously improve the capabilities of the vehicle. Suspension with springs that don't collapse and shock absorbers that haven't been stolen from the screen door at home, slider steps mounted on the chassis not the body and capable of supporting the vehicle weight, a winch bar that actually improves approach angle and comes with seriously good lights, a locking front differential (because front traction is the weak point for all IFS vehicles), a transfer case that gave low range gearing which was equivalent or better than Toyota's, 265 LT construction tyres and decent AT tread (no reason why this can't be done when the Challenger already has them).

The trick here would be to market the package at a price which was less than what it would cost to do all this aftermarket, just like the rear diff lock has been. The pack really should be a very good profit maker for Mitsubishi yet people wouldn't mind paying the extra if it seems like good value vs the option of doing it through ARB and the like. The market isn't just Australia. There's plenty of potential in Africa, the Middle East, South America to make the volumes needed to have this successful.

Perhaps we're just dreaming but I really do believe that this kind of thing has the potential to satisfy a demand and make money for Mitsubishi while gaining a big advantage over the opposition. Isn't that what it's all about?

Something along the lines of this would be nice huh.
Mitsubishi-L200-Barbarian-Black-630x433.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pickle

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 pm

pickle wrote:Something along the lines of this would be nice huh.

Not really, Dave. The Barbarian gets (got?) a more powerful engine and some decals and painted wheels.

This is heading more in the right direction:

More information:
http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcarros.uol.com.br%2Fnoticias%2Fredacao%2F2012%2F06%2F22%2Fmitsubishi-l200-triton-moderniza-suspensao-e-ressuscita-versao-savana.htm

Click on the link halfway down the page for the Spec Sheet.

This is the 2013 model. 3.2l diesel, upgraded suspension, ML style short tub for departure angle, snorkel and a few other goodies like better bash plates, big tyres etc. A good start, in my opinion. But just a start. Forget the useless roof rack and the plastic containers in the tub.

The Savana is available through most of South America and Mitsubishi are looking for sales of around 200/month. With the right packaging and accessories our "Offroad" pack might go pretty close to that. Especially if the equipment is of the right quality and represents a significant saving vs aftermarket. Mitsubishi are the winners here banking what would have otherwise gone to ARB and the like while also saving on the cost of the parts that would go into the standard model.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby sam on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Something along the lines of this would be nice huh.
Mitsubishi-L200-Barbarian-Black-630x433.jpg
[/quote]

This sort of thing has been dished up for years by most of the car companies and as said is nothing more than a
standard vehicle with some fancy decals a bit of diffrent barwork ,painted rims and a few extras just like Nissan
did with the Navara Outlaw.

What NowForThe5th has posted is heading in the right direction imo and how come south america still gets the 3.2 .... :? :? this world just ain't fair. :(
sam

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Government pollution requirements would be my bet. Although they still manage to sell the pajero here so who knows how that works. :?

Cowboy Dave

Postby coxy47 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but the vgt turbo in the pajero motor plus the DPF will help it meet the requirements.

I personally won't be buying a car with a dpf any time soon while they do help meet the emissions regulations they cause nothing but problems.
coxy47

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Ah, the DPF would do it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby sam on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 pm

coxy47 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the vgt turbo in the pajero motor plus the DPF will help it meet the requirements.

I personally won't be buying a car with a dpf any time soon while they do help meet the emissions regulations they cause nothing but problems.

I was aware that the NS Paj had a dpf but I was pretty sure the NT doesn't as it met the emissions standard required atm without one . :? :?

X2 re the last comment .
sam

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 pm

the DPF was droped after the NS pajero- the NT and NW pajero don't run one.

This got close, but is too sports/ speed orientated
http://www.tmraustralia.com.au/tmrtriton.php

something like these, upgraded brakes and wheel package
http://www.ralliart.com/06topics/06news/06057_triton-sus.html

and I had actually forgot about the south american stuff/ vehicles
http://www.mitsubishimotors.com.br/main.cfm/site/83/content/1/submodelo/19
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby SecondEye on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 am

Agreed the 3.2 would be toast now just to old a technology despite the reliability of long time research.

Couple of key things for me would be higher side steps as current ones always get bent first drive on the rough. Giving a bad impresion on the truck for the rest of its life.
Better location for vaccum actuator may have been fixed in MNs
Better bash plates not stainless just slight thicker and better mounting support locations.
Room under the hood for personal extras like batteries, post fuel filters, provent etc.
If the extra thick roll bar is still the go a couple of mount points eg for ratchet straps.
Longer lasting airbag clock springs, dont personally know of any other cars/4wd with so many clock spring failures.

Only really small things that shouldnt affect the price much.
SecondEye

Postby mattz on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:08 pm

An off road pack would be a brilliant idea. ;)
Mits would probably do the basics like snorkel and bullbar but a lift and sliders would be great options for the more serious 4wders. ;)
Oh yeh......keep the locker but I can't see them putting in a front locker. :roll:
Could you imagine the dinosaurs who get their super payout....go out and buy the new u bute off road pack triton with a front locker.
First trip off road...... point it up a hill.......select low 4wd......push the DL button and give it a boot full of gas......only to find themselves punted off the side of a track. :shock:
Of course it would be Mitsubishis fault...... :roll:
Some other great ideas have been mentioned too. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Few more warning stickers would soon cover that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby trickydevil on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm

A nice 3.2l 5 cyl would be a great option. I recently tested some vehicles, the 3.2 came in two types 6spd auto and 6 SPF manual. Loved them both. The mitsy would also benefit from a slightly deeper tray and a wider body. :evil:

If I didn't love my triton so much I'd change brands.

Also you could engage rear diff lock in 2wd. Simple but great feature.
trickydevil

Postby coxy47 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 pm

4wd26 wrote:the DPF was droped after the NS pajero- the NT and NW pajero don't run one.

I stand corrected. I must say that I'm surprised it was dropped (looking at it from an environmental perspective).
coxy47

Postby pickle on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm

How about some new designed seats?
pickle

Postby mad992 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

pickle wrote:How about some new designed seats?

complete with lumbar support please :oops: ill have what homers got leather statesman seats :!:
mad992

Postby daryn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

pickle wrote:How about some new designed seats?

You know, when does the embargo lift ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby mattz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Shouldn't be long now. ;) ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Brett05 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Mitsubishi Concept GR-HEV was just unveiled tonight.....could we see this in the near future badged as a Triton....i think it looks pretty good
after a bit of searching.....i guess it will be
GENEVA - Ever since it started R&D on electro-mobility back in 1966, today’s Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) always considered that electric vehicles (EV) should eventually become long-term core products – a view vindicated by recent concerns over global warming.

From the pioneering i-MiEV in 2009 and a self-imposed objective of 20% of EV-based cars by 2020, MMC has already made significant steps in this direction as demonstrated with the all-new Outlander Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (“PHEV”) and its most innovative “Dual Design” architecture.

Expanding further, Mitsubishi Motors now explores the full electro-mobility engineering palette – Pure Electric (EV), Hybrid Electric (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid Electric (PHEV) – hinted at through two concept cars world-premiered at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show, next to the New Outlander PHEV, one of which is the cutting edge Concept GR-HEV Sport Utility Hybrid Truck.

Going Hybrid

If electric vehicles are to have a significant impact on the environment, they should be able to attract a wide spectrum of customers with a full palette of EV-based vehicles across the range, from small runabouts to big SUVs, each using a dedicated application of the technology (EV, HEV or PHEV)

In this respect, New Outlander PHEV has already proved that EV powertrain and long-haul D-Segment crossover are perfectly compatible.

At MMC. the next logical step will be to expand further, adapting electric componentry to the demands of an even larger, tougher, sportier vehicle with both work and leisure in mind in either mature or emerging markets.

Such was the brief behind Concept GR-HEV, Mitsubishi Motors’ inaugural take at Hybrid (HEV) technology, applied for the first time to a Mitsubishi one-tonne pickup truck, a format very much in demand in emerging markets and a Mitsubishi export best-seller, starting with Europe, its number one market (with over 615,000 units, out of the 1.42 million units exported from MMTh between 1992 and 2012).

Below 149 g/km

With this evocation of a possible next “Dual Design” vehicle, Mitsubishi Motors introduces an all-new proprietary HEV solution, featuring a 2.5 litre Mitsubishi Clean Diesel engine and a front-mounted electric motor, mated to an automatic gearbox – all controlled by an electronic operating system – as well as a battery pack located (and protected) within the ladder frame – further protection being provided by cross guard bars.

Simpler and more affordable than either EV and PHEV, HEV is deemed best suited to the heavy-duty daily requirements of pickup truck users and a perfect vector for MMC’s green ambitions all the way to the most remote corners of the planet with an ambitious target for CO2 emissions below 149 g/km - far better than segment average.

Beyond this specific one-ton pickup application, the addition of an electric motor to a Diesel engine brings further benefits:

Instant response from the electric motor boosts Diesel engine accelerations.
The motor also increases high-end torque of the Diesel engine.
Quieter accelerations and high-speed cruising (within legal limits).
Cleaner Diesel emissions.
This combination can also provide pure electric power on demand with available AC supply (100V~240V), to replace a generator or to allow the use of a 100V winch for instance, as well as the ability to drive over short distances in pure-electric mode.

Concept GR-HEValso uses Mitsubishi’s renowned full-time 4WD technology, featuring Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) integrated vehicle dynamics control system to deliver high stability traction and driving performance under all road conditions.

This HEV-dedicated driveline uses S-AWC to tailor output and braking to each wheel for every drive mode (2L, 4H, 4HL, 4LL) selected by the driver to help when facing difficult driving conditions:

Safer, sure-footed all-terrain performance over mud, sand, snow-covered surfaces as S-AWC system leverages motor’s instant response and controls braking force at each wheel.
Torque regulation for instant response and excellent all-terrain performance.
Improves stability when towing.
Cutting edge

Rugged, handsome and eminently usable, this 4WD Sport Utility HEV Truck show car was developed as a conceptual successor to a long line of one-tonne Mitsubishi Motors pickup trucks – from the original 1978 Mitsubishi L200.

All successful in their time, they always stood apart with their handsome design.

Concept GR-HEV continues with this tradition adding a strong dose of aerodynamic chunkiness while escaping the square-rigged look that seems to prevail in the segment.

On the contrary, over its long 5.42 m long dual-cab body, MMC Design produced a very muscular athletic shape, highlighted by a sharp blade-like character line, starting from the headlamps and progressing to form a very dynamic upswept beltline.

Carrying over a theme first developed for today’s L200, Concept GR-HEV offers a total (pick-up) look whereby the long load bed is the visual continuation of the passenger cabin, simply delimited by a graphic J-shutline, itself serving as support to integrated running boards.

Further rear, this load bed extends the 3D-sculptured shape of the cabin, whether in the wide open trapezoidal wheel arches (and their asymmetrical flat moulding, suggesting motion), in the shapely tailgate or in the helix-complex rear combination lamps. With their “scattered diamond” LED design, they give an impression of precision-cut jewellery and premium quality appearance of the tail.

Topping it up, the upper structure is no less dramatic with a low roofline highlighted by twin elongated satin-finished side mouldings. Arching over the cabin, they extend to flying buttresses over the backlight, connected by a twin-boom aerofoil. As a clear statement of (tough) intent, the integrated bed cover intersects sharply all the curves.

At the front, the aerodynamic blades of the grille seem milled directly from solid brass as if to shield the Three-Diamond logo, in-between the sculptured wraparound diamond-shaped headlamps – an overall effect of width, stability and solidity.

Finishing touch, Concept GR-HEV rides on dynamically styled 3-spoke alloy road wheels using lightweight non-alloy spokes. Taking Mitsubishi’s Three-Diamond corporate emblem as the design theme, they suggest strength.

Specifications (MMC data)

Dimensions (L x W x H) 5420 x 1930 x 1775 mm
Wheelbase 3000 mm
Seating capacity 5
Powertrain 2.5 Clean Diesel engine
Single electric motor (w/AC supply function)
Automatic gearbox
Drive 4WD
Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC)
Emissions Below 149 g/km
- ENDS -
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Last edited by Brett05 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News