Re: Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Postby hvac guy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 am

No dramas
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rstim on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Got an AC fan from the wreckers today $165 with a relay taken from the wreck too, I was happy with that.
rstim

Postby adrianp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:02 am

HI Guys,

Sorry, don't want to highjack this thread, but I am nervous to open a new one, just a quick question, does anybody know if the aliexpress fan is an exact copy of the original one? I have bought one and the protection grille arrived broken, the seller refuses to send me a new grille or fan, but he'll refund me some money. I am trying to find out if I could buy just the original grille and fit it on the aliexpress fan.

Thanks!

Adrian
adrianp

Postby Stoneman on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:19 am

adrianp wrote:HI Guys,

Sorry, don't want to highjack this thread, but I am nervous to open a new one, just a quick question, does anybody know if the aliexpress fan is an exact copy of the original one? I have bought one and the protection grille arrived broken, the seller refuses to send me a new grille or fan, but he'll refund me some money. I am trying to find out if I could buy just the original grille and fit it on the aliexpress fan.

Thanks!

Adrian

Mine arrived the same

Told the seller to send with a piece of MBF board to fix the problem as its claimed it happens in transit, I suspect these might be perfectly good fans but damaged stock

I got a small refund and was pretty happy with that

In regards to your question "are they the same as original?" I would assume they are.
They seem to be a major manufacturer of mitsubishi parts
Stoneman

Postby snowman on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:49 am

Stoneman wrote:

Thanks!

Adrian

Mine arrived the same

Told the seller to send with a piece of MBF board to fix the problem as its claimed it happens in transit, I suspect these might be perfectly good fans but damaged stock

I got a small refund and was pretty happy with that

In regards to your question "are they the same as original?" I would assume they are.
They seem to be a major manufacturer of mitsubishi parts

mate i dont have an original to compare to but the obvious difference was there are no rubber feet. my ones arrived well packaged in a largish cardboard box and so no i dont expect they are 'seconds' as you suspect. whether they are exact replicas or debadged originals i dont know but the one i bought seems to work OK (only installed one of two cars so far).

at under half the price (i got two cars done for less than the price of one OEM) i thought it was worth the risk.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 am

I don't care if they are or aren't :roll:

I was happy with the purchase and happy with the results :D

Lucky for me it's was very minor damage.
Stoneman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am

Even if they were the same the chances of buying just the grille part of the fan wouldn't be high.

Depending on how bad the damage is, can you just cut the broken bits out and still use it? Don't forget the fan gets installed into a closed area anyway, behind the vehicle's grille so there should be no chance of anyone putting their hands into the blades or of any large items penetrating through to where the fan is (if something did penetrate you have bigger problems on your hands).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks!
Adrian

You haven't included a photo of the 'damage' to the fan shroud so it's hard to visualise what's actually broken but I would just throw in my 2 cents and say that you 'might' be able to patch it up by using some small suitable sized pieces of a 'reinforcing' material like small diameter aluminium tubing or bar (available from Bunnings hardware) to 'brace' across the broken bits and then hold them firmly in place with nylon "Zip-Ties" secured to the remaining un-broken parts of the shroud...? From looking at mine I would guess that the shroud is made from some form of poly-plastic which unfortunately, usually does not respond successfully to glues. Good luck.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peterdeg on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Sorry, don't want to highjack this thread, but I am nervous to open a new one, just a quick question, does anybody know if the aliexpress fan is an exact copy of the original one? I have bought one and the protection grille arrived broken, the seller refuses to send me a new grille or fan, but he'll refund me some money.

If it's broken and the seller refuses to refund, why not open a dispute via aliexpress? Or have you already marked the item as received?
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby adrianp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks everybody for your advice.

It's those small feet (or tubes) that hold the grille to the shroud, more than half of them are broken, with some bits missing. I don't think it's due to the transport, as I couldn't find any broken bits inside the box. There is too much broken stuff to glue it back.

I have opened a dispute with the seller, but I suspect that I won't get more than the smallish refund and just waste my time with them.

I am worried more about stones or other small things being hit by the fan blades and damage the radiator, or some service guy putting his fingers through because not expecting to be a fan there.

I'll also try Mitsubishi, but I don't expect too much, they'll probably sell the whole thing only. Or the wreckers. Or find some other 10'' grille, from another fan or a speaker. Or maybe fitting some mash behind the car radiator grille.

Anyway, thanks and good night!

Adrain
adrianp

Postby Stoneman on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 am

peterdeg wrote:

Sorry, don't want to highjack this thread, but I am nervous to open a new one, just a quick question, does anybody know if the aliexpress fan is an exact copy of the original one? I have bought one and the protection grille arrived broken, the seller refuses to send me a new grille or fan, but he'll refund me some money.

If it's broken and the seller refuses to refund, why not open a dispute via aliexpress? Or have you already marked the item as received?

Yep!, I second that

He is a good seller so I would suggest get in contact with him first before to long,
and I actually find aliexpress payment protections as good if not better than paypal
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:43 am

Stoneman

Postby Bill81 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 am

Where do I find the location of the thermostat on MN 2010 Diesel Triton please.
Bill81

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:17 am

Which one? The temp sensor for the aircon is on the passenger side of the vertical beside the front of the radiator. The sensor for the ambient temp display on the Rv meter is on the driver's side at the top of the vertical support beside the front of the radiator. The actual engine thermostat is on the driver's side, towards the front, above the oil filter - follow the hoses and you should spot it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby variflex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Well I finally made the effort and had wifey order me the fan and relay from her parts dept,
Now I just have to browse the past 13 pages to find which size bolts to buy for fitment, that's a job for tomorrow in the office.
variflex

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:21 pm

variflex wrote:Well I finally made the effort and had wifey order me the fan and relay from her parts dept,
Now I just have to browse the past 13 pages to find which size bolts to buy for fitment, that's a job for tomorrow in the office.

M-25x6 will do the job..... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:41 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
variflex wrote:Well I finally made the effort and had wifey order me the fan and relay from her parts dept,

M-25x6 will do the job..... ;)

Ahh awesome, thanks for that,
variflex

Postby Greedy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:56 pm

All part of his cunning plan no doubt. ;)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45 pm

AnOldFart wrote:M-25x6 will do the job..... ;)

Just a quick correction for anyone fitting the fan, it's a M5 X25mm bolt,

My fan is all fitted and I'm loving the results, thanks to all who put the data together for this mod
variflex

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 am

I fitted a fan the other day and I did some testing today. I can confirm that on my 2010 MN GLX-R it operates the same as oldplodder posted.

It comes on independent of the A/C. Very 8-)

oldplodder wrote: ..... Seems to come on in two cases.
1. AC on - when the AC compressor comes on.
2. AC off, when engine cooling temp get to about 90 deg.
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:06 am

Yeah and it pumps a fair bit of air through so it can't be a bad thing for the cooling overall.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Big Brad on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 am

Had mine in and working for a few months now and is great.

Had minor overheating when going up mountain ranges and just went up same said range to Toowoomba yesterday with outside temp of 30 and gauge didn't even move.

Best of both worlds
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby ag9111 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Big Brad wrote:Had mine in and working for a few months now and is great.

Had minor overheating when going up mountain ranges and just went up same said range to Toowoomba yesterday with outside temp of 30 and gauge didn't even move.

Best of both worlds

Sounds like said fan is masking a developing overheating issue
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spoiltone on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:46 am

Ordered one Thursday and fitted it yesterday by far the easiest mod I have done, with excellent results. Love it well done. I been thinking for some time it needed it. I have just been revving it to 1500 . Now I don't have to. Nice work. Paid 316 for new fan and relay. Pays to ring around I got quotes that vary by over $120
spoiltone

Postby Big Brad on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 pm

ag9111 wrote:
Big Brad wrote:Had mine in and working for a few months now and is great.

Best of both worlds

Sounds like said fan is masking a developing overheating issue

Not masking anymore as have also put in new radiator also.
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical