Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Re: What is this connector for ( Is this standard ) pics att

Postby jrs184 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:06 am

Greedy wrote:I asked the same question years ago but didn't get an answer. Figured it ain't broke so forgot about it. :oops:

My 2006ML has 2 plugs both close to each other in that position, one from the engine temp sensor, one from the aircon on sensor, so it will switch the thermo fan on as required (for tropics/ Thailand etc). The rest of the world does not know that we have some high summer temps and plenty of tropics here as well. I put a 10 inch after market thermo fan in the provided position and wired it to the dash with its own switch, all for $50. I can give the aircon some help starting and if in traffic or if I tow or climb at low revs under load, turn it on to check the engine temps against my scan gauge digital read out..I would seek more advice from experts regarding the current overheating solution provided by Mitsu on the MN's. For these reasons, increasing the cooling system pressure by close to 20% adds stress to the entire cooling system, reducing conductivity of the coolant by adding 20% more glycol reduces efficiency of coolant in terms of heat transfer, this does allow temperature increase without boiling occurring and therefore coolant failure but adds further stress to the system by allowing a higher normal operating temperature thru' the entire engine system. What a good idea the original designers had in mind to have a back up cooling thermo fan in the system and providing for that with all the mounts, plugs in place just the relays left out of the fuse box in the engine bay, I just rejigged that design idea that as I did not want to pay the $400 OEM version, it would have cost Mitsu another $400 to provide this to everyone in the first place or as an option, would you have ticked that box on the new item if it was offered....I also appreciate that there are the casting and quality control issues with the MN engine block contributing to heat induced engine failures outside of the scope of my comments above...
jrs184

Re: Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Postby mad992 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 pm

My fan showed up today all good now i need to fit it :D
mad992

Postby mad992 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:52 pm

AArrgghhhhh no plug :idea: now i just need to follow Daves tutorial to get my fan working :!:

cheers Dave
mad992

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm

I'll give you the same tips I gave someone else who asked about it yesterday (by text rather than on the forum in case you're wondering why you didn't see it).

First, have a look at the AC compressor. There should be a single wire with a single plug on it from memory. I decided it was too hard but having done it the other way that wasn't real easy anyway so maybe I got that call wrong. Assess for yourself if you can access that plug and remove it and tap into the wire there. You'll have to run your wire all the way from there back along the engine block loom somewhere and eventually to your relay so there will still be a fair bit of fiddling around involved.

Second, if you decide not to go the above route (which is fine, it's not that easy) consider removing the battery so you possibly free up a bit of room to move. I didn't do that as there were a lot of connections on the battery in question and the effort didn't seem warranted. But access was tight as hell and if I was doing my own car I'd probably pull the battery.

Third, once you've found the wire consider removing a lot of tape and see just how far towards the front of the car you can chase it. I removed enough that I had a few inches to work with but if I'd kept going along the loom further removing tape I might have made life easier for myself. You'll have to assess that for yourself because I didn't actually trace it all that far back so I'm not 100% sure where it goes other than to say I'd bet it stays in that main loom that loops back into the bottom of the relay box. Well it has to really. But when you look at it you'll know taping it all back up neatly again at the end will be a PITA so factor that into your thinking. It has to be easier though than cutting, stripping and crimping in the 4 inch gap I left myself I reckon. I actually thought about moving the whole relay/fuse box off its mounts to free up the wiring a bit so maybe consider that one too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mad992 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks heaps mate for your input your a champ, i have found the blue/White wire and have spliced into that for a trigger wire, then ran a fuse and relay to my fan bingo we have a winner fan works :D :D :D

thanks Dave for your advice ;) now i have a fan wooohoooooo
mad992

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 pm

After 2yrs on the shelf, the little thermo fan finally got installed.

I've set it up to get triggered by the compressor circuit but I'm thinking of fitting a thermostat on the condenser to keep it running when the tri is stationary to improve efficiency.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 pm

No need if the compressor is going the fan will be too
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes HVAC I assumed running in sync with the compressor should be OK. I could keep my hand on the condenser while it cycled, I was thinking a bit of damping in the duty cycle might be desirable as the compressor was cutting in and out a fair bit in the cooler day.

I think getting rid of the shroud ( having also installed an electric radiator fan ) let's far more air through when travelling.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Id leave it like that as the refrigeration cycle is now working correctly and u will use less fuel with now cycling off. Dont worry about the shroud it should be fine at speed the make the fan more effective.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:09 pm

The original fan shroud is gone.

I've never had a problem with the D'Craig fans on previous petrol vehicles without a shroud. Diesels just don't produce much heat. It was a bugger testing the radiator fan as a I couldn't get it hot enough, soon as you drop to idle the motor just cools down heaps. My old petrol units on the other hand would constantly kick in the fan at idle.

This is just a reflection of the diesel efficiency.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby natkins90 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi There
I bought one of the Ali Express fans and after installation it works perfectly except when it comes on it makes a really loud whining noise. Just wondered from others that have bought one if this is a normal sound.

Thanks
natkins90
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Not sure I'd call it a whining noise, but they definitely make some noise, there's no doubting that, my Aliexpress fan pushes a heaps of air.
OffRoadDave

Postby mad992 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Yeah mines loud enough that you know its on and working ;) So all good.
mad992

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:33 am

The Supersheap units I used are pretty quiet. I'm considering some indicator lights just to provide indication when the fans are running.

I know I've mentioned it a few times, but fitting the condenser fan has just made a huge impact on the AC performance. This should have been standard from the start.

I would still like to find a smaller unit to put on the right hand side to see if any more performance is to be had.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kaybee on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Received a message from Garret this morning after ordering a fan:

Garret Tang
2015-10-11 20:07:18
Hi dear,
Thank you everybody from Newtriton.net.

It seems that you guys are satified with the fan we supply.
To show our thanks, we decide to provide 10% discount for all you guys from Newtriton.net until 2015.12.30, including all the products on the store.

If you need other parts for your Tritons, please feel free to contact, I will try my best to help.
If there is a group purchase, there will be great discount.

Best wish to you.
Garret
kaybee

Postby 2jzzzz on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:00 pm

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Cond ... 51256.html

These guys have free shipping to AUS
2jzzzz

Postby willotriton on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm

kaybee wrote:Received a message from Garret this morning after ordering a fan:

Garret Tang
2015-10-11 20:07:18
Hi dear,
Thank you everybody from Newtriton.net.

It seems that you guys are satified with the fan we supply.
To show our thanks, we decide to provide 10% discount for all you guys from Newtriton.net until 2015.12.30, including all the products on the store.

If you need other parts for your Tritons, please feel free to contact, I will try my best to help.
If there is a group purchase, there will be great discount.

Best wish to you.
Garret

If anyone has a buy history with the bloke selling the fans or the time to set up a group buy i'd be keen as. Pretty sure there would be heaps of others interest too?

Cheers,

Willo
willotriton

Postby Kingjw2001 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 am

I'm keen on a group buy
Kingjw2001

Postby SPB on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Through Aliexpress I have just purchased 4 Thermo fans including relays. I contacted Garret mentioned above and confirmed prices. As I was ordering 4 I recieved 15% off. So in total each one came to $179AUD including relay and freight. By the time they arrive in Darwin I may have one left spare if someone wants it.
SPB

Postby baito on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Hey spb, ill take the spare one if youve got it? Pmed ya
baito

Postby Kingjw2001 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:58 am

I received a message from garret saying he has source a Chinese made fan instead of Taiwanese.
Made in China one is $69.90 but I can only find this one.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1552805266.html
Pm him for the discount and rely I guess.
Kingjw2001

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 am

Also keen on a group buy.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Gold . Thanks lee-thal
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby smouch1975 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Lee-thal wrote:i just had a look on a ML TRITON VR 3.2 and there is no connector there as shown in the picture,

SO, anyone that has the connector as shown in post 1 can fit a Thermo fan and relay in and it will operate when the air con compressor clutch is engaged.

FAN number MN123607 New Triton Club Price $253.08 + Tax
Relay p/n MR588567 $19.80 + Tax

PLEASE NOTE, there are only now 3 fans in the country at this time

if you order them it may take a couple of weeks to get them from Japan.

Cheers Lee

Lee still offering this?
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby coughy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:02 pm

motoz wrote:

Also in AOF's post there was mention of a discount and relay. Just email message Garret.

You have a new message from AliExpress supplier Garret Tang.

Garret Tang: Hello David,
Nice to hear from you.
We promised that we will provide 10% off and a relay MR588567 as a gift.
You can make an order without paying, we will adjust the price for you, then you can finish the payment, we will send you the parts.
Best regards
Garret

Garret is the man and true to his word.

:cool:

id be going this way m8
i dont think lee can do that anymore as he dont work for mitsubishi anymore
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext