Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Re: Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Actually the place he works retained the Mitsy parts side of the business. If you don't mind non-genuine then yeah the above would be the way to go. If you want genuine then it might be worth a PM to Lee-thal in case he doesn't see this thread.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby SPB on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 am

I recieved my order of 4 yesterday. 7 days from China to Darwin. I cant get parts that quick from Sydney via truck! Very happy with the result so far.
SPB

Postby hvac guy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:17 am

Are u going to on sell them
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kaybee on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Ordered from Aliexpress, was not thrilled that one of the little feet was broken off. The fan itself was wrapped up in bubble wrap and the broken foot was chucked in the box with it. No matter though, a dab of Loctite and it's all good.

Click to view larger picture

Managed to only break 2 clips getting the grille off...

Like everyone else's it came without the rubber feet so I went to my local hardware and found a pack of these. Drilled a hole through the centre and slipped it on. The bolt for my car (2010 MN) is M6X25mm.

kaybee

Postby SPB on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:48 pm

hvac guy wrote:Are u going to on sell them

I suspect I may have one spare which I will now next week,( The person who I bought will probably cancel). Baito already has first dibs. I will sell for cost and postage.
SPB

Postby Mr Man on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 am

I noticed two days ago how poor the air con was on my way home from work when it was 40 degrees here so yesterday I decided to take some temperature readings.
All readings were taken with the fan on full and on recirculate with the thermometer in the vent next to the stereo (drivers side). Car is 2015 MN Dual Cab.

~7am on way to work. Outside temp was 17 degrees. After about 10 mins into the drive the air coming out of the vents got down to 7.3 degrees, but mostly fluctuated between 7.5 - 8.2 degrees. So a maximum temperature drop of 9.7 degrees.

~4.30pm on way home from work. Outside temperature was 30 degrees. Again after about 10 minutes driving the lowest temperature I saw was 10.3 degrees. I had to make a stop on the way home so when I pulled up I left the car running for another couple of minutes and watched the reading on the thermometer increase up to 25.6 degrees.

We've got some days forecast for high 30's over the next week so if I remember I'll take a few more temperature readings.

I have also ordered a fan from Aliexpress and I've booked the ute into the local dealership to see if they tell me "its normal"
Mr Man

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:31 am

The problem with the air conditioners on the Triton is largely due to lack of a thermofan.

The gap between the condenser and radiator let's a lot of air sucked by the engine fan to go around the condenser instead of through it.

The whole air intake area with the grill design also messes up air directly blowing into the condenser and radiator.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:12 am

SPB wrote:
hvac guy wrote:Are u going to on sell them

I suspect I may have one spare which I will now next week,( The person who I bought will probably cancel). Baito already has first dibs. I will sell for cost and postage.

My sis lives in rosebury so she could pick it up. Or could u charge to fit it for her ?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2jzzzz on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 am

How do you remove your grille and those pesky trim clips without destroying them?

EDIT: All sorted, clips were easy. The AliExpress fan makes a world of difference.
2jzzzz

Postby Mr Man on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Mr Man wrote:I noticed two days ago how poor the air con was on my way home from work when it was 40 degrees here so yesterday I decided to take some temperature readings.
All readings were taken with the fan on full and on recirculate with the thermometer in the vent next to the stereo (drivers side). Car is 2015 MN Dual Cab.

~7am on way to work. Outside temp was 17 degrees. After about 10 mins into the drive the air coming out of the vents got down to 7.3 degrees, but mostly fluctuated between 7.5 - 8.2 degrees. So a maximum temperature drop of 9.7 degrees.

~4.30pm on way home from work. Outside temperature was 30 degrees. Again after about 10 minutes driving the lowest temperature I saw was 10.3 degrees. I had to make a stop on the way home so when I pulled up I left the car running for another couple of minutes and watched the reading on the thermometer increase up to 25.6 degrees.

We've got some days forecast for high 30's over the next week so if I remember I'll take a few more temperature readings.

I have also ordered a fan from Aliexpress and I've booked the ute into the local dealership to see if they tell me "its normal"

I did the same test at about $pm today, outside temp was around 37 degrees, air coming out of vents did not get below 17 degrees...
It'd off to the dealership tomorrow.
Mr Man

Postby mad992 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:43 pm

mate she is cactus,take it back and get them to check it cause that is not Normal,might be low on gas or need a new compressor :!:
mad992

Air con problem

Postby daniel944 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 am

Any one else noticed that the air con is only really cold when the vehicle is moving? With the hot days in Sydney of late and my car been parked in direct sunlight during the day, on the ride home I have been setting the temp to 18DegC and the fan to max. I have about 6-7mins of driving before hitting traffic for about 10 mins. In that 6-7mins the aircon is uncomfortably cold, like I can't leave my fingers in front of the vent from long, but as soon as I settle into the traffic the temp coming out of the vents raises by say 5-10 DegC! Only to drop back down again within 30sec of driving above 40odd km/h... Its almost like the compressor dosn't engage unless the car is moving.
Anyone else have this problem? Seems a bit poor for a new car...
daniel944

Re: Air con problem

Postby biggibbo on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:14 am

The problem is there is not an A/C thermo fan installed in the tritons, so the condenser only gets airflow when the vehicle is moving. When your stopped or in bumper to bumper the temps rise.

There's a cheap easy mod you can do to add a fan.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12913&hilit=airconditioning
biggibbo

Postby tritonliz on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi Dave,

This is good for the 2010 MN isn't it? What about the relay, will I have to order that separately?
Cheers. Liz
tritonliz

Re: What is this connector for ( Is this standard ) pics att

Postby tritonliz on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Newguy wrote:This Plug is for the Thermo Fan, you need to put the Relay Fuse in the Fuse box, it is switched on auto by the ECU depending on temperature.

Great write up, thanks. I am going to get one and fit it, or have a go at fitting it, so the relay fuse goes in that second slot behind the one existing realy fuse box there? Is it obvious where the fan bolts in and how many bolts do I need to buy (size etc)? Many thanks. Liz
tritonliz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah that's the one Liz. If you use the contact thing on the site and tell Garret you're from here then he throws in a relay as I understand it. Failing that Jaycar sells one that works. I may even have one but it would be quicker to find a Jaycar. I think someone even found one at Repco. The slot for the relay is labelled on the inside of the fusebox lid. There aren't two many empty slots so it's pretty hard to get it wrong. Also as you've picked from the photos above (which I failed to look at before) it is the second one up.

Cowboy Dave

Postby 2jzzzz on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:03 pm

My 2015 GLX didn't have that one already there, it must be a GLXR that has the fuse for something. I still put it in the second slot and it worked.
2jzzzz

Postby Mr Man on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 pm

mad992 wrote:mate she is cactus,take it back and get them to check it cause that is not Normal,might be low on gas or need a new compressor :!:

Their warranty guys reckons it's fine, I'll take it back next time its a hot day and show him how shit it really is...
Mr Man

Postby mad992 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:03 am

Yes they are hard to deal with and a right royal PitA , i had to take mine back like 3 times before they agreed that the air con was not right , Please dont let them tell YOU that it is within spec because thats just an excuse hoping you will go away.
mad992

Postby har05l on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:01 am

Just finished this install but being tight I looked into the cheapest way of doing it.
Picked up a 10" thermo fan on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/161862707621
Cut oem plug and swapped for a few blade terminals. Fan came with blue/black wiring so no getting confused with the oem wiring.
The fan was difficult to try and fix in so I just squeezed it into place and fitted off with a few cable ties. Dodgy yes but it's not going anywhere and the fan has enough clearance as to not touch the fins and it works a treat

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 am

Your horn is showing :shock:

Did you tape or heat shrink over those crimp connectors?

Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Yes I did CD, they're hidden behind my horn
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:55 pm

How does your horn sound??
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby kaybee on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:02 pm

trouble wrote:How does your horn sound??

It sounds horny!
kaybee

Postby trouble on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 pm

I reckon they don't work??
Har05l??
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical